Self Improvement

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I’ve been tossing the idea around of waking up an hour earlier a couple days a week to hit the gym before getting ready for the day.
I might have to try it out in the near future.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

haleyann wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:25 pm

:(
Sure, I'm up for shared tips, as long as they don't include chemical assistance. Other than maybe herbal tea I'm not interested in taking any more drugs. I just got off a bunch of pills after several months and I'd like to stay that way for a while.
That's fair! I was very much against taking anything for it but for my current schedule (constantly switching from nights to days and back) I decided to go for it. It helps but I only take it when I'm switching sleep schedules. If you're on a pretty normal sleep schedule you shouldn't need it.

- Get into a routine. Go to bed as close to the same time every day, wake up at the same time every day.
- Get some physical activity in during the day. I find I'm most restless at night when I don't do anything active during the day.
- Avoid screens at bed time. Sounds like you may already do this by reading in bed (as long as it's paper books), but make sure you're not checking your phone, don't have the tv on, etc.
- Remove anything from your bedroom that has a light, or cover it. Artificial lights, even the tiniest light on a tv or something drives me nuts.
- No caffeine after noon, even if you think it doesn't affect you. Decaf coffee and herbal tea is fine. Also, no alcohol before bed.
- Practice breathing exercises when you're trying to fall asleep. The one that put me to sleep yesterday was counting with each slow breath: in-one, out-two, in-three, out-four.... There's all kinds of mindfulness breathing exercises online, try some different ones and focus on clearing your mind.
Thanks, Hales. I already do most of these. I'm walking or doing cardiac rehab every day. Only read paper books. ( :wap: ) I use a sleep mask to shut out any light. I do watch TV sometimes in bed, :( and I do enjoy a drink with or after dinner sometimes. Hate to give that up. As far as a sleep routine, that's what I'm struggling with most. I want to be in bed lights out by 10:30 latest but can't seem to get there, and I do relish sleeping in on weekends.
I've heard of those breathing exercises. I'll have to give them a shot. Anything to turn off my brain. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm
haleyann wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm

That's fair! I was very much against taking anything for it but for my current schedule (constantly switching from nights to days and back) I decided to go for it. It helps but I only take it when I'm switching sleep schedules. If you're on a pretty normal sleep schedule you shouldn't need it.

- Get into a routine. Go to bed as close to the same time every day, wake up at the same time every day.
- Get some physical activity in during the day. I find I'm most restless at night when I don't do anything active during the day.
- Avoid screens at bed time. Sounds like you may already do this by reading in bed (as long as it's paper books), but make sure you're not checking your phone, don't have the tv on, etc.
- Remove anything from your bedroom that has a light, or cover it. Artificial lights, even the tiniest light on a tv or something drives me nuts.
- No caffeine after noon, even if you think it doesn't affect you. Decaf coffee and herbal tea is fine. Also, no alcohol before bed.
- Practice breathing exercises when you're trying to fall asleep. The one that put me to sleep yesterday was counting with each slow breath: in-one, out-two, in-three, out-four.... There's all kinds of mindfulness breathing exercises online, try some different ones and focus on clearing your mind.
Thanks, Hales. I already do most of these. I'm walking or doing cardiac rehab every day. Only read paper books. ( :wap: ) I use a sleep mask to shut out any light. I do watch TV sometimes in bed, :( and I do enjoy a drink with or after dinner sometimes. Hate to give that up. As far as a sleep routine, that's what I'm struggling with most. I want to be in bed lights out by 10:30 latest but can't seem to get there, and I do relish sleeping in on weekends.
I've heard of those breathing exercises. I'll have to give them a shot. Anything to turn off my brain. :like:
I doubt one drink has too terribly much of an effect, but I do notice that slamming multiple makes me sleep like :poop:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm I’ve been tossing the idea around of waking up an hour earlier a couple days a week to hit the gym before getting ready for the day.
I love morning workouts, really gets the day started on the right foot. I also don't have to get to work super early, so I still don't get up until 5:30-6.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm I’ve been tossing the idea around of waking up an hour earlier a couple days a week to hit the gym before getting ready for the day.
I love morning workouts, really gets the day started on the right foot. I also don't have to get to work super early, so I still don't get up until 5:30-6.
:dat:

I do much better working out first thing in the morning.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 pm

:dat:

I do much better working out first thing in the morning.
After a long day of work it's pretty tough to get motivated. I'm just a morning person in general, very lazy and tired at night.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm
I really need to be better at getting up a few minutes earlier.

Even 15 minutes would be a huge improvement. I'm just not a morning person.
I'm definitely not a morning person, but forcing myself out of bed the moment I woke up this morning was a huge help. I was so productive, when usually I'd lay in bed for at least 20 minutes, or more....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am Oh man, I love this thread idea.

I can't really offer much advice, unfortunately. But I'm really curious to hear what motivates others.

The one thing that's I've succeeded at is weight loss. I'm down ~40 lbs in 6 months, and it feels really good. Now I need to find the motivation to get to the gym to keep the progress going. Current motivation = 0
Dude, nice!
Seriously! That's fucking awesome, nice work.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm

I doubt one drink has too terribly much of an effect, but I do notice that slamming multiple makes me sleep like :poop:
Probably :notwrong: about 1 drink and definitely :notwrong: about multiple drinks ruining sleep.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

That's pretty good to hear.

Here's some life improvements I've made for the past few years. I began to be more committed for gym, not only weight loss but also build some muscle (ie. involving a few supplements like pre-workout and whey), but of course things can get in the way here and there which causes to impede or setback. I got back into basketball not too long ago (I used to play house for middle and high school). I got back into car meets/occasionally going to cars & coffee, thanks to :narc: which made some new friends so that's a plus. I looked at different horizons for career which landed me a pretty stellar job just recently, and I got back to school in 2016.

I'm glad I made some of these decisions, because it taught me some valuable lessons where I can encourage others to do whatever I can advice them speaking my experience.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm That's pretty good to hear.

Here's some life improvements I've made for the past few years. I began to be more committed for gym, not only weight loss but also build some muscle (ie. involving a few supplements like pre-workout and whey), but of course things can get in the way here and there which causes to impede or setback. I got back into basketball not too long ago (I used to play house for middle and high school). I got back into car meets/occasionally going to cars & coffee, thanks to :narc: which made some new friends so that's a plus. I looked at different horizons for career which landed me a pretty stellar job just recently, and I got back to school in 2016.

I'm glad I made some of these decisions, because it taught me some valuable lessons where I can encourage others to do whatever I can advice them speaking my experience.
Pretty :fuckyeah: overall, sometimes thinking outside the box can be really helpful on the job front, many people have tunnel vision with their careers, it's great to keep an open mind.