Self Improvement

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Last year I set a goal for myself to lose weight. I made small change after small change until I hit my goal. Then I took it farther and lost more weight and built up some muscle. It felt SO GOOD to meet those goals. Then life got crazy and I didn't continue my improvements, though I have maintained the weight loss so at least some of those changes stuck with me.

I'm hoping now to work on myself in other areas - health, time management, hobbies, and career. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear from you lovely folks!

What areas of your life could use improvement?
What are you doing to better yourself?
What goals have you set or would like to set?
Where do you find motivation?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I try to read or listen to the occasional self help book on the subject in question to keep me motivated.

For strength training I like to listen to the podcasts to keep me going. In 10 weeks I added about 20% to all my lifts.

And that's about all I have time for these days honestly
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh man, I love this thread idea.

I can't really offer much advice, unfortunately. But I'm really curious to hear what motivates others.

The one thing that's I've succeeded at is weight loss. I'm down ~40 lbs in 6 months, and it feels really good. Now I need to find the motivation to get to the gym to keep the progress going. Current motivation = 0
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am Oh man, I love this thread idea.

I can't really offer much advice, unfortunately. But I'm really curious to hear what motivates others.

The one thing that's I've succeeded at is weight loss. I'm down ~40 lbs in 6 months, and it feels really good. Now I need to find the motivation to get to the gym to keep the progress going. Current motivation = 0
Dude, nice!
Yea, getting there. I still have another 40 to go, but the progress has been solid. I'm reaching the point where I need more than diet to keep it going. I need to get on a gym schedule bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:53 am

Dude, nice!
Yea, getting there. I still have another 40 to go, but the progress has been solid. I'm reaching the point where I need more than diet to keep it going. I need to get on a gym schedule bad.
See if there’s a spin class that works with your schedule.
I’ve found that doing something in a group gets me to the gym on a more regular basis.

And checking out :datass: in tight pants is never a bad motivator either.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 am
I’ve found that doing something in a group gets me to the gym on a more regular basis.

I so despise the gym. Regardless of the activity, I don't want to pay to join a gym because I'm not going.

My city has a community center with a full gym I have access to for $free.99. It's open 24 hours, I just need to go. When the weather is nice out, I got for walks and ride my bike, but those days are numbered.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I need to get back into Keto mode. We haven't cooked in forever, and that's part of the problem. When I hit 40 I said I'd make that change but haven't yet. I need to go grocery shopping and get more of my food prep done first.
I rarely seek out motivation, I just flip a switch and just do it and make the change cold turkey and I'm usually pretty good with sticking with it.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

:dat:

Works on the Peloton on my own basement, even. :tits:
I wish I had the room for a Peloton. Would be 5/7 to be able to jump on it for 30 mins at night or before work.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

:dat:

Works on the Peloton on my own basement, even. :tits:
:waxer:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 am
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am

I wish I had the room for a Peloton. Would be 5/7 to be able to jump on it for 30 mins at night or before work.
I 100% would not be in the shape I'm in right now without it.
Gym/biking is one of my best self improvement activities. Chemical changes make it so worth it to me, just finding time to do it is my biggest issue.

I feel like I’m on top of the world after a good bike/gym session.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I haven't gymmed in a very long time. I'm not a huge fan of waiting for someone to clear a piece of equipment, the time it takes to get to and from, etc, so I just work out at home.

To the OP question at hand:
Practicing mindfulness is a huge step towards day-to-day contentment/happiness. Understanding why you feel a certain way, what (if any) triggers you have, and how to address them.

Having started addressing my mental health some 10+ years ago from an exceptionally deep state of depression on my own, I can tell you that recognizing and taking ownership of your problems and putting plans in place to address them is entirely possible. Finding the things, people and activities that bring you joy is obviously helpful as well, but they also shouldn't be the source of happiness - IE they shouldn't be a crutch to a generally shitty mental outlook on life.

I'm happy to chat further if you're seeking further insight.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

I won't deny it, but a gym membership is :waxer: AF too.

I hate the gym, group settings motivate me. The wife will 100% not go to the gym at all. We both use it, and it's cheaper than a joint membershit to the gym that she would never use.

Plus the convenience factor alone. No wasting time on packing for the gym, driving to the gym, parking at the gym, waiting for spin class to start, etc. I can do it when I want, when it's convenient for me, in my own basement. And when I'm done, I walk upstairs and jump in the shower. So easy.

Wouldn't one look great in your alcove? Just sign right here. :dillerman:
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Even without a Peloton, you can set up a solid work out station with a pull-up bar, adjustable dumbbells, and some stability and/or medicine balls.

but also, waterrower FTW.

There's also this thing, which intrigues me. https://www.nohrd.com/us/nohrd-bike
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

I won't deny it, but a gym membership is :waxer: AF too.

I hate the gym, group settings motivate me. The wife will 100% not go to the gym at all. We both use it, and it's cheaper than a joint membershit to the gym that she would never use.

Plus the convenience factor alone. No wasting time on packing for the gym, driving to the gym, parking at the gym, waiting for spin class to start, etc. I can do it when I want, when it's convenient for me, in my own basement. And when I'm done, I walk upstairs and jump in the shower. So easy.

Wouldn't one look great in your alcove? Just sign right here. :dillerman:
This is all :notwrong: and alot of reason I also have a home gym set up.

I do need to use the rower more :doe: fucking cardio. :pout:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dude, nice!
Come to the bro thread and ask :sawce: for a basic schedule. He's like your own personal trainer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am
Come to the bro thread and ask :sawce: for a basic schedule. He's like your own personal trainer.
Oh, I know. I just don't have the motivation to even get to the gym in the first place. I need to fix that basic issue first.
ChrisoftheNorth

A friend of mine made a poverty Peloton by putting his road bike on an indoor trainer in front of an old 40" TV that he streams ride videos from YouTube on. I want to try that this winter I think for cardio.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I'm in a constant struggle to get more sleep. I rarely succeed. I often go through a whole day tired and drowsy AF but when it gets close to 9:00-9:30 I'm suddenly wide awake for some reason and can't get to sleep for almost 2 more hours. Reading in bed helps but I have to start before 10:00 to fall asleep before 11:00.
# :wap: problems
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Say what you want about AA, but it definitely gave me the tools to navigate my own mental health.

I always stay in a state of self-improvement. (At least try to, it fluctuates)

I break this down into categories.

Physical:
(My weakest at the moment) This is just physical health, it's something so simple, but really is the foundation of overall well being.

Skillset:
This is where I really have to allow time.
I've always been into drawing, I'd like to pick that up.
Autocross for my driving ability.
I'm always aiming to be a better mechanic.
I'd love to learn a language.
Most of my focus has been on developing skills for my career.

Intellectual:
Learn, read, and problem solve.

Interactive:
Be a better person all the time.
I've had to work on being assertive, and I've developed an endless supply of patience.
Be less reactive, less prone to outbursts, and let other people be.

When you see something you don't like about yourself, remember that tomorrow can always be better than today.
If you're in a situation you don't like, focus on the positive, avoid 'grass is greener' thinking and make a plan to get you where you want to go.
Take the occasional risk
Take the occasional 'sick day' and stay home playing video games
Don't put the small things off too long
Be kinder to someone today than you were yesterday

IDK, that's my ramblings. I've stayed sober and not always happy, but never felt things got so bad I've had to get obliterated.
I battle depression, and with a system that works for me I've managed to stay out of the depths of it for almost a decade.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am pretty health conscious and exercise 5 or 6 days a week, have for years. If I don't I just feel disgusting and miserable, so I don't really need to improve in that aspect. I sometimes eat garbage food but mostly do well there too.

Areas where I could improve are mindfulness like Zilch mentioned, understanding how I feel and why. I think I'd also benefit from focusing on being content and happy with what I have. Always wanting to :plac: vehicles, jobs, homes, etc. is unhealthy. Living in a state focused on contentment versus desire and greed would be better.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am Oh man, I love this thread idea.

Congrats! That's some awesome weight loss, especially in a short amount of time!

I found this pretty motivational - https://www.ted.com/talks/mel_robbins_h ... edcomshare

This morning I got myself out of bed within 5 seconds of waking up and if I can do that, I can do anything haha
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am I'm in a constant struggle to get more sleep. I rarely succeed. I often go through a whole day tired and drowsy AF but when it gets close to 9:00-9:30 I'm suddenly wide awake for some reason and can't get to sleep for almost 2 more hours. Reading in bed helps but I have to start before 10:00 to fall asleep before 11:00.
This is actually really common in people who've been recently hospitalized - https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 1702-148SR

I also struggle with sleep, and I've been able to improve it despite my ridiculous schedule. If you'd like some tips, I'd be happy to share.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Melon wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 am Say what you want about AA, but it definitely gave me the tools to navigate my own mental health.

I always stay in a state of self-improvement. (At least try to, it fluctuates)

I break this down into categories.

Physical:
(My weakest at the moment) This is just physical health, it's something so simple, but really is the foundation of overall well being.

Skillset:
This is where I really have to allow time.
I've always been into drawing, I'd like to pick that up.
Autocross for my driving ability.
I'm always aiming to be a better mechanic.
I'd love to learn a language.
Most of my focus has been on developing skills for my career.

Intellectual:
Learn, read, and problem solve.

Interactive:
Be a better person all the time.
I've had to work on being assertive, and I've developed an endless supply of patience.
Be less reactive, less prone to outbursts, and let other people be.

When you see something you don't like about yourself, remember that tomorrow can always be better than today.
If you're in a situation you don't like, focus on the positive, avoid 'grass is greener' thinking and make a plan to get you where you want to go.
Take the occasional risk
Take the occasional 'sick day' and stay home playing video games
Don't put the small things off too long
Be kinder to someone today than you were yesterday

IDK, that's my ramblings. I've stayed sober and not always happy, but never felt things got so bad I've had to get obliterated.
I battle depression, and with a system that works for me I've managed to stay out of the depths of it for almost a decade.
This is fantastic. Like a :melon: that gets riper and juicier every day, but never rots. You're the best.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

haleyann wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am I'm in a constant struggle to get more sleep. I rarely succeed. I often go through a whole day tired and drowsy AF but when it gets close to 9:00-9:30 I'm suddenly wide awake for some reason and can't get to sleep for almost 2 more hours. Reading in bed helps but I have to start before 10:00 to fall asleep before 11:00.
This is actually really common in people who've been recently hospitalized - https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 1702-148SR

I also struggle with sleep, and I've been able to improve it despite my ridiculous schedule. If you'd like some tips, I'd be happy to share.
Conclusions: Sleep disturbance is common in critically ill patients up to 12 months after hospital discharge. Both subjective and objective studies, however, suggest that sleep disturbance improves over time. More research is needed to understand and optimize sleep in recovery from critical illness.
:(
Sure, I'm up for shared tips, as long as they don't include chemical assistance. Other than maybe herbal tea I'm not interested in taking any more drugs. I just got off a bunch of pills after several months and I'd like to stay that way for a while.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Also, we cannot get too serious

https://youtu.be/42cSdyzVcXQ
brain go brrrrrr
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

wap wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:25 pm
haleyann wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Conclusions: Sleep disturbance is common in critically ill patients up to 12 months after hospital discharge. Both subjective and objective studies, however, suggest that sleep disturbance improves over time. More research is needed to understand and optimize sleep in recovery from critical illness.
:(
Sure, I'm up for shared tips, as long as they don't include chemical assistance. Other than maybe herbal tea I'm not interested in taking any more drugs. I just got off a bunch of pills after several months and I'd like to stay that way for a while.
That's fair! I was very much against taking anything for it but for my current schedule (constantly switching from nights to days and back) I decided to go for it. It helps but I only take it when I'm switching sleep schedules. If you're on a pretty normal sleep schedule you shouldn't need it.

- Get into a routine. Go to bed as close to the same time every day, wake up at the same time every day.
- Get some physical activity in during the day. I find I'm most restless at night when I don't do anything active during the day.
- Avoid screens at bed time. Sounds like you may already do this by reading in bed (as long as it's paper books), but make sure you're not checking your phone, don't have the tv on, etc.
- Remove anything from your bedroom that has a light, or cover it. Artificial lights, even the tiniest light on a tv or something drives me nuts.
- No caffeine after noon, even if you think it doesn't affect you. Decaf coffee and herbal tea is fine. Also, no alcohol before bed.
- Practice breathing exercises when you're trying to fall asleep. The one that put me to sleep yesterday was counting with each slow breath: in-one, out-two, in-three, out-four.... There's all kinds of mindfulness breathing exercises online, try some different ones and focus on clearing your mind.