Day Trading

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Does anyone do that here?

I remember :mahtroy: saying he did it and lost a lot of money. The market vulnerability plus increased chance of the great dump (correction) has some allure. I've only dipped a toe in here and there. Made some dollars and lost some. Id usually buy a stock with play money hold for a few weeks or months and then sell. I had more misses than hits.

Fidelity just did away with the trade fees in the new trend to get people throwing money in. :notsure: of this practice yet.

Im watching a few youtube day traders. The warrior trade guy has been ad spamming but has a interesting system of turning $500 into $100k (in under 1 year). :bs: but he did it. Im super :notsure: in that kinda of growth.

Any honest talks to be had on the merit of day trading?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I have a hard time navigating the BS of toobers and them trying to capitalize on the sheep.

But there are some real winners. I'm just sceptical of the get rich quick.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 pm
I'm just sceptical of the get rich quick.
:dat:

I am also not a financial/business genius. I personally feel that playing it smart with long term mutual funds and stuff is the play. Don't quit your day jobs, folks (unless you're :nope: ing out to a cabin in the woods).
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:nope:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Most firms use algorithmic analytics to do their trading. It's nothing I really have an interest in at this time.
Picking individual stocks, sure, I dibble and dabble, but manning the machine on a diversified fund, I honestly have not the time or the knowledge.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 pm I'm just sceptical of the get rich quick.
As you should be, wealth growth management should be viewed in decades.

There's some winners, sure, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 pm I'm just sceptical of the get rich quick.

Yea S&P 500 index fund ... lets see who does 'better' than that on the regular.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Think we're past the point of investing in something like this being advantageous? The interest rate on my "high yield" savings account keeps dropping :thankstrump: and I'm intrigued by moving some cash into an index fund to offset.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I just invest.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

FWIW I didn't really lose a lot. I made a lot and then lost the winnings in 2008-9. It was a net waste of time. Buying and holding would have been better. I bought $25k of BAC at one point when it was around $3, now it's $30...

The problem is that I fundamentally did not believe in the recovery - and I still don't.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 am I just invest.
I loled

:lol:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:22 am

The problem is that I fundamentally did not believe in the recovery - and I still don't.
you are not alone. and :notwrong:

we are in for an end of days awakening. Comes down to how much we can keep the dollar as the global reserve to keep the lights on.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm

mine has doen fantastic. I dumped my roth into that and a few other.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:22 am

we are in for an end of days awakening. Comes down to how much we can keep the dollar as the global reserve to keep the lights on.
Are we tough? I know we're all about :doomandgloom: here, but other than a normal correction...are we really headed for full blown :nuke: ? I doubt it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 am

Are we tough? I know we're all about :doomandgloom: here, but other than a normal correction...are we really headed for full blown :nuke: ? I doubt it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 am

There are some REALLY big things going globally. We have been in a death spiral as a country for 20+ years. Eventually the rest of the world will say we dont accept your useless fiat currency. The debt will be all consuming and we are WELL into uncharted territory of debt. Just recently QE formerly an ultra emergency plan, is the new fucking norm. :thisisfine:

War must continue to be endless. Inflation must continue to keep wheel turning. Those are 2 absolutes to maintain this charade..

Im really not a :doomed: and :nuke: person. I just look at history and where we currently are. I want to make the best of the current situation and I want us to thrive as a country. We are still the best game in town (being in the USA and all). Im just lack all confidence in our .gov management/overlords. They are just getting while the getting is good.

"IT" will happen. I just can't say when. I'd bet the UK and pound fail first. Once they fail, our days are numbered.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Every generation thinks we are :doomed:

Someday, the end will come... no one can predict when, and statistically speaking, the likelihood of it occurring in our lifetime is quite low.

Best is to just carry on expecting the status quo as there's nothing you can really do otherwise.... if shit really does :nuke: , nothing that mattered will matter anymore and we'll all likely be dead in short order... but again, that's not gonna happen.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 am Every generation thinks we are :doomed:

Someday, the end will come... no one can predict when, and statistically speaking, the likelihood of it occurring in our lifetime is quite low.

Best is to just carry on expecting the status quo as there's nothing you can really do otherwise.... if shit really does :nuke: , nothing that mattered will matter anymore and we'll all likely be dead in short order... but again, that's not gonna happen.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 am Every generation thinks we are :doomed:

:notbad:

guess we WILL buy that luxo barge supercharged suv. YOLO :troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 pm

:notbad:

guess we WILL buy that luxo barge supercharged suv. YOLO :troywax:
Fuck it! If y'all like it, want it, can afford it, why not?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

10 years ago I was in the exactly same mind frame that @dubshow is in right now. Since I've discovered that Accounting Principals don't apply on a global level I feel much better about the inflationary future we have in front of us. Since that time I've looked at inflation hedging any type of savings I have, and I've come to realize that the best thing you can do with investing it's too by the way Warren Buffett buys, "when there's blood in the streets". BAC hits $3, buy it! Natural resources shit the bed, pick up some of that too. Gold/silver, sure if it's real. Property in a desirable area, if you can afford the upkeep... then sure.

The only game in town is currency devaluation and every country in the world plays it. Cash under your pillow is the mistake... ask your grandma if you dont believe me.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am 10 years ago I was in the exactly same mind frame that @dubshow is in right now. Since I've discovered that Accounting Principals don't apply on a global level I feel much better about the inflationary future we have in front of us. Since that time I've looked at inflation hedging any type of savings I have, and I've come to realize that the best thing you can do with investing it's too by the way Warren Buffett buys, "when there's blood in the streets". BAC hits $3, buy it! Natural resources shit the bed, pick up some of that too. Gold/silver, sure if it's real. Property in a desirable area, if you can afford the upkeep... then sure.

The only game in town is currency devaluation and every country in the world plays it. Cash under your pillow is the mistake... ask your grandma if you dont believe me.
I bought 40k worth of "oil" about 5 years ago... it was 80k 2 years before then. it's still worth 25k :thisisfine:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am 10 years ago I was in the exactly same mind frame that @dubshow is in right now. Since I've discovered that Accounting Principals don't apply on a global level I feel much better about the inflationary future we have in front of us. Since that time I've looked at inflation hedging any type of savings I have, and I've come to realize that the best thing you can do with investing it's too by the way Warren Buffett buys, "when there's blood in the streets". BAC hits $3, buy it! Natural resources shit the bed, pick up some of that too. Gold/silver, sure if it's real. Property in a desirable area, if you can afford the upkeep... then sure.

I bought 40k worth of "oil" about 5 years ago... it was 80k 2 years before then. it's still worth 25k :thisisfine:
Ouch! That's a big bet to make in my books (I'm not comfortable dropping more then 5 to 10k on any one idea and am willing to ride out my mistake for years. Obviously oil isn't going anywhere but with a strong push towards alternate fuel sources you are catching a falling knife and bound to get cut... blood in the streets, maybe I should pick some up?

I don't like stock picking because things change quickly and these market analysts are getting rich by steering people wrong, it's a tough way to make money in my case.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Ouch! That's a big bet to make in my books (I'm not comfortable dropping more then 5 to 10k on any one idea and am willing to ride out my mistake for years. Obviously oil isn't going anywhere but with a strong push towards alternate fuel sources you are catching a falling knife and bound to get cut... blood in the streets, maybe I should pick some up?

I don't like stock picking because things change quickly and these market analysts are getting rich by steering people wrong, it's a tough way to make money in my case.
Planes
Ships
Trains

All run on fossil fuels.... I thought it was a fair bet :thisisfine:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:52 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Planes
Ships
Trains

All run on fossil fuels.... I thought it was a fair bet :thisisfine:
My guess is that the US is sticking it to the Saudis after years of constrained supply to hike prices and fracking is now a major source, and in response the Saudis keep pumping it out as fast as they can. If anyone's supply starts to dwindle prices will skyrocket but who knows. Maybe environmentalists might some day have their way and that could slow down production in the US? It could be a long ass wait. Or a war can break out and you'll be back in black.

There is so much manipulation going on and that's why I have a hard time with the stock market. I like the idea of buying an index better personally, but I'm :balls: deep in real estate :fullretard: . Hopefully things go my way and I stay ahead of inflation at least.