I need financial advice

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

So back to Pay Area issues of affordability. That's the real Crux of all this heart ache.

Why are her parents in debt?

Why can't they move or modify their life to fit their financials? There are certainly places you can live like a swamp king for how the Cali peasants exist.

Parents should do everything in the power to not burden children. Unless it's some fucked up medical or sudden death issue, I fail to see why a parent needs to consistently rely on a kid for income.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:55 pm Since I try to be as anti :hibachi: as possible... I have a figure in mind with how much the AZN needs to have saved by march... and if she ain't there something is gonna go full :nuke:
We talked over the details and she is going to make a G doc for me with all line items listed including the total. She also expects to reduce this amount going forward... Overall :notbad: outcome... still a :disgust: talk to have.
This is a positive move. She is showing effort.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 pm I have nothing to add that other's haven't already except Jimmy choo shoes are old news for like the last 3 years.
This one is not a brand whore that was the last one.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm So back to Pay Area issues of affordability. That's the real Crux of all this heart ache.

Why can't they move or modify their life to fit their financials? There are certainly places you can live like a swamp king for how the Cali peasants exist.

Parents should do everything in the power to not burden children. Unless it's some fucked up medical or sudden death issue, I fail to see why a parent needs to consistently rely on a kid for income.
Long story don’t care to share but not everyone does :math: they are simple folk who can’t.

Their whole family is rooted here they ain’t moving. Their place is 1/2 of what a comparable place would cost to rent also. So it is what I is for now.

They fucked up as parents in terms of financial independence.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm So back to Pay Area issues of affordability. That's the real Crux of all this heart ache.

Long story don’t care to share but not everyone does :math: they are simple folk who can’t.

Their whole family is rooted here they ain’t moving. Their place is 1/2 of what a comparable place would cost to rent also. So it is what I is for now.

They fucked up as parents in terms of financial independence.
Maybe so, but let’s not forget the often overlooked cultural curveball as well. Is she Chinese? Most Asian households whether here in the states or not literally have kids with the expectation that they will care for them when the parents are older. This is why China is having population issues when they implemented their 1 child preferably male policy that is now backfiring on them.

Sitting down and counting beans and agreeing on shit is one thing, but if familial cultural norms are still in play (aka maybe she doesn’t believe in it but her parents and their relatives do so they want to look good to the rest of family) then that is another issues you may not be able to avoid.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Maaannnnnnnnn

This is YOUR problem, not hers. You just need to accept a lot of :waxer: going to her parents or :nope: out now. Like Trudy said, this is a cultural thing that you're not going to be able change. Period. You can agree to a budget, but when something random comes up, she's going to pay it. That's the way it is.

When I got married, I assumed all of the things I didn't care for about my partner won't change. And that's proven to be true, and I'm 100% ok with that because I went into it accepting that. So many people go into marriage expecting x,y,z to change because of discussions or contracts or whatever...but I think that's just going to be a source of tension in the future when perspectives on said past agreements change (like her claiming you guys discussed the property tax thing).

We were both essentially poor with less than 5 figures to our names COMBINED when we met. I understood financial principles, and was :scrooge: AF but I didn't make enough to put anything away on top of my rent and utilities expenses. What's nice about starting from nothing together is we set our financial goals together and have stuck to them. We agreed early on that neither of us would spend more than $500 on something without consulting one another first. We still do that today, and it's been a great practice for full financial transparency. We're also both on each other's accounts...so neither of us can hide anything, not that we'd need to.

Unfortunately, my wife is in the same boat as the azn in that her parents are not in great shape financially. But she doesn't want to pay anything to her parents, and at the same time, her parents wouldn't' accept anything anyway. The most we do is pay for flights to visit and/or pay for dinners or whatever during visits. But we agree to all that ahead of time and I'm completely fine with it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

:hibachi:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Can’t wait till AZN’s parents move in with you guys to cut costs and lessen the financial burden on AZN!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am Can’t wait till AZN’s parents move in with you guys to cut costs and lessen the financial burden on AZN!
:roasted:

is just the cultural norm.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:47 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am Can’t wait till AZN’s parents move in with you guys to cut costs and lessen the financial burden on AZN!

It's not uncommon.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 am

It's not uncommon.
It's :notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:lolol:
razr390

:hibachi: for dinner EVERY NIGHT! Gonna have to replace a lot of fridge temp sensors to keep your sanity Mad Max :ohmy:
razr390

Thread: derailed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah, I'm gonna +1 Chris and Rudy's comments. Max, you are likely dealing with something that cannot be altered or contracted around. Those move in comments.....those are also quite possibly a little more real than not.

Glass half full:

1. Your woman is empathetic, that means she's also likely to take care of you in a downturn.
2. A second propensity of AZN women, which is just up and quitting meaningful employment once they have bagged their man, is not possible. I'd rather have a wife making top wages and sloughing off some to mom and dad than one who just decided it was time to be a housewife.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am Maaannnnnnnnn

This is YOUR problem, not hers. You just need to accept a lot of :waxer: going to her parents or :nope: out now. Like Trudy said, this is a cultural thing that you're not going to be able change. Period. You can agree to a budget, but when something random comes up, she's going to pay it. That's the way it is.

When I got married, I assumed all of the things I didn't care for about my partner won't change. And that's proven to be true, and I'm 100% ok with that because I went into it accepting that. So many people go into marriage expecting x,y,z to change because of discussions or contracts or whatever...but I think that's just going to be a source of tension in the future when perspectives on said past agreements change (like her claiming you guys discussed the property tax thing).

We were both essentially poor with less than 5 figures to our names COMBINED when we met. I understood financial principles, and was :scrooge: AF but I didn't make enough to put anything away on top of my rent and utilities expenses. What's nice about starting from nothing together is we set our financial goals together and have stuck to them. We agreed early on that neither of us would spend more than $500 on something without consulting one another first. We still do that today, and it's been a great practice for full financial transparency. We're also both on each other's accounts...so neither of us can hide anything, not that we'd need to.

Unfortunately, my wife is in the same boat as the azn in that her parents are not in great shape financially. But she doesn't want to pay anything to her parents, and at the same time, her parents wouldn't' accept anything anyway. The most we do is pay for flights to visit and/or pay for dinners or whatever during visits. But we agree to all that ahead of time and I'm completely fine with it.
As someone who is getting married soon, this is a great post and appreciated, a great piece of advice. My :tits: has some major family issues, which I'm not going into, but I've realized as we've dealt with all of the wedding :bs: and family drama alongside it, that this is something I'm going to have to deal with for our whole life together. I wish some things were a little bit different, but at the end of the day, everyone carries some sort of baggage... think it through and decide if it's something you can :dealwithit: or not and :nope: out.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am Maaannnnnnnnn

As someone who is getting married soon, this is a great post and appreciated, a great piece of advice. My :tits: has some major family issues, which I'm not going into, but I've realized as we've dealt with all of the wedding :bs: and family drama alongside it, that this is something I'm going to have to deal with for our whole life together. I wish some things were a little bit different, but at the end of the day, everyone carries some sort of baggage... think it through and decide if it's something you can :dealwithit: or not and :nope: out.
Exactly. Nobody's perfect, but you also have to be 100% willing to accept them exactly as they are. If their baggage is too much now, don't expect it to change for any reason in the future. That's a serious thing that only you can decide on your own.

Been married 7 years now, and I love my wife more with each year. While she's grown and matured, her "baggage" or "quirks" haven't changed at all. Sometimes it makes me :rage: but it's how she's always been and I accept that.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I dated a korean girl for over a month, she had all the nice :waxer: clothes, buys Whole Foods for her dog, but drives a 2008ish Civic, when we had dinner, one of her card was declined and told me it exceeded $500 limit, even though she worked in a :waxer: company too. Her parents moved from Northern VA to a somewhat Baltimore suburb (which she constantly visits), cause it's cheaper. Oh her little sis wore Canadian goose jacket too :thisisfine:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:thisisfine:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Actually looked into this piece, according to cali, everything you had BEFORE marriage is yours, and everything post marriage is "ours" so... I could get spousal support since I make less money... dat equality life.

I spent a few hours over beers with my buddy who spent 15k on pre nup shit dividing the -50k in assets he had and the 200k she had...
The fact you are talking a divorce :nuke: scenario reinforces my point.

Man, that's just :wtf:

Brad can disagree with me all he wants, the right lawyer in Cali land will skull fuck anyone. Why at the extra layer of animosity of a prenup? I double down on the question why are you getting married? You don't have to tell the DFD court. You need to ask each other that. You clearly love her. You don't have to approve her actions. But you are getting the rare chance to see your future.
:hai: I think I would copy my pal's $15K masterpiece and cut and paste some different names and numbers.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolgasm:
:gonbgud:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Actually looked into this piece, according to cali, everything you had BEFORE marriage is yours, and everything post marriage is "ours" so... I could get spousal support since I make less money... dat equality life.

I spent a few hours over beers with my buddy who spent 15k on pre nup shit dividing the -50k in assets he had and the 200k she had...
The fact you are talking a divorce :nuke: scenario reinforces my point.

Man, that's just :wtf:

Brad can disagree with me all he wants, the right lawyer in Cali land will skull fuck anyone. Why at the extra layer of animosity of a prenup? I double down on the question why are you getting married? You don't have to tell the DFD court. You need to ask each other that. You clearly love her. You don't have to approve her actions. But you are getting the rare chance to see your future.
That's literally anywhere. All the more reason to prenup
brain go brrrrrr
razr390

:hibachi: ??
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 pm:hibachi: ??
We probably went too hard on the :fax: realtalk. At this point, it's likely more of a personal decision than one that can be left up to the DFD Court.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 pm:hibachi: ??
We probably went too hard on the :fax: realtalk. At this point, it's likely more of a personal decision than one that can be left up to the DFD Court.
:dat:

lot of tough advice that is :notwrong: but hard to :dealwithit: all the same.