Cabin in the Woods: Midlife Crisis Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Bummer she's so far away. I need someone local.

My last therapist I saw ~8 years ago was fantastic and changed my life for the better. She helped me in so many ways...it's probably time that I seek that out again.
yeah it was kinda a joke. BUT, you can use that site to find a good professional locally.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Bummer she's so far away. I need someone local.

My last therapist I saw ~8 years ago was fantastic and changed my life for the better. She helped me in so many ways...it's probably time that I seek that out again.
IIRC she does webcam sessions.

State licensing gets in da way doe. :sad:
:dat: you must live in swamplandia to speak with her. Pretty stupid imo.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:50 pm

It's a stressful thing... I am currently about to embark on a new job that I think will be:
-way more flexible as far as hours due to being remote
-slinging a product/in an industry I find way more interesting and engaging
-working at a tiny company where my personal impact matters and I can contribute in real ways to product development
-getting to work on the road which I actually really like

Those are the pros, but I am also looking at negatives:
-definitely going to be a pay cut the first year and who knows if I'll get to the pretty epic levels of this gig (epic to me, doesn't hold a candle to some of the richer DFDers, but whatever)
-huge unknown as far as the future of this company I'm going to as it's tiny and owned/run by olds...

It's a scary gamble at the end of the day... but sometimes you just have to pull the ripcord and take a chance. I don't think I "need" my income levels of this year to be happy by any means and :tits: is in support of it. She makes way less than me working at a school but certainly gets a lot more satisfaction out of her work as she actually gives a shit about it.
I absolutely would have taken the job you did if it were presented to me. I want to work for a small company where my work is appreciated, even if that means less money. The risks are there, sure...but I think the potential for overall satisfaction and "happiness" is way greater.

I think it's really important to be serious about what you really NEED to be happy. High income comes with high personal cost in most cases. What's it all really worth?
:dat:

Fortunately most of the :waxer: made this year went to saving for :haus: down payment, wedding shit, etc. so didn't really "get used to" anything too :fancy: other than maybe the two car life, which maybe won't be a thing, maybe will later on. But having more money tends to just make us want to spend more as humans. I am on a pretty big environmental/consume less kick as well. The personal consumption here in the US is :disgust: with people buying clothes, extravagant food and booze, :pinshit: stuff etc. nonstop. Very pointless and detrimental to the future of the planet IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 pm Image

I was :mindblown: first time I saw this... definitely not a thing on the East Coast.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 pm
I absolutely would have taken the job you did if it were presented to me. I want to work for a small company where my work is appreciated, even if that means less money. The risks are there, sure...but I think the potential for overall satisfaction and "happiness" is way greater.

I think it's really important to be serious about what you really NEED to be happy. High income comes with high personal cost in most cases. What's it all really worth?

Fortunately most of the :waxer: made this year went to saving for :haus: down payment, wedding shit, etc. so didn't really "get used to" anything too :fancy: other than maybe the two car life, which maybe won't be a thing, maybe will later on. But having more money tends to just make us want to spend more as humans. I am on a pretty big environmental/consume less kick as well. The personal consumption here in the US is :disgust: with people buying clothes, extravagant food and booze, :pinshit: stuff etc. nonstop. Very pointless and detrimental to the future of the planet IMO.
This planet is beyond fucked. :sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 pm

But... I will still try to use less where I can... obviously the :poorvette: :stig: being my big downfall in this area.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 pm

But... I will still try to use less where I can... obviously the :poorvette: :stig: being my big downfall in this area.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This is key and very smart IMO.

Also agreed on consumption. It bothers me too, so we try not to buy too much crap. I have more clothes that came from thrift stores than I can count, and I consider that to be a way of keeping things out of landfills.

We blow WAY too much on booze and food in an attempt to compensate for our overall job misery. 10-12 hours of daily misery M-F is really starting to take it's toll on both of us, and we both like the booze/food outlet, so that's what we do.

Last night was a prime example. I met a buddy from GM for beers at a brewery after work (he was curious about FCA, so I set him straight), then on the way home another buddy hit me up to go get beers and pizza. Better than sitting at home sipping scotch by myself, so I went with him and proceeded to consume way too much and :fancy: pizza. After, we ended up sipping (no, drinking...no...almost shooting :disgust: ) bourbon at his house because I didn't want to go home and go to sleep because that just meant waking up and going back to misery sooner.

Fortunately I can walk everywhere, so at least I'm "safe", but still...no bueno.

Wife's getting home from her work trip this afternoon after working for 12+ hours each day at a failing plant in BFE TN trying to keep clients from pulling their business from her bankrupt company. She invited friends over tonight and we'll do it all over again because it's our only escape. It's a bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Better than the car rotting in a junkyard/landfill. But this is partially why I downsized the fleet. I'd rather be out enjoying nature before it's all destroyed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

but is isnt hurting anything by already existing...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Better than the car rotting in a junkyard/landfill. But this is partially why I downsized the fleet. I'd rather be out enjoying nature before it's all destroyed.
:dat: is my main other hobby. Mountain biking is def lower impact, especially at the new place where I'll be riding to trails rather than driving everywhere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Well... trackdaybro is a huge waste of fuel, :225: , and other consumables.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:26 pm
:dat: is my main other hobby. Mountain biking is def lower impact, especially at the new place where I'll be riding to trails rather than driving everywhere.
:megusta:

That's so awesome. I want that again.

10 years ago ( :mindblown: )I lived in an apt in Irvine CA, where I could wake up in the AM and ride to an epic MTB trail in the mountains, ride for an hour or so, ride home, shower, then hop on my bike and ride to work ~10 miles on a dedicated bike path. It was so fantastic. Zero environmental impact, and was a ton of fun.

I was also broke AF, saved $0 and couldn't afford much of anything, but I was really happy in retrospect. Dammit.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

:dat: big time.

But for as much as you do it :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah I am very careful in other areas... maybe I'll give it up at some point, but not today. VIR this weekend :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Yeah I am very careful in other areas... maybe I'll give it up at some point, but not today. VIR this weekend :excited:
:jelly:

I miss track driving.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

10 years ago ( :mindblown: )I lived in an apt in Irvine CA, where I could wake up in the AM and ride to an epic MTB trail in the mountains, ride for an hour or so, ride home, shower, then hop on my bike and ride to work ~10 miles on a dedicated bike path. It was so fantastic. Zero environmental impact, and was a ton of fun.

I was also broke AF, saved $0 and couldn't afford much of anything, but I was really happy in retrospect. Dammit.
Simple times.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Simple times.
I think that's the crux of the thread for me.

I'm happier when things are simple. The complexity of added income and advancing in "life" has been more detrimental to my overall happiness than I ever could have imagined.

With zero offspring and any other big picture responsibility, why don't I just live a simple life?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 pm

I miss track driving.
#metoo

I may have been shopping WRXs last night... :lol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Melon wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 pm Image

:wtf:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:02 pm

I miss track driving.
#metoo

I don't have any tracks to drive at, otherwise I probably would have held onto my :poorvette:

Oh well, the simple vehicular life sure is easier. Plus I :wub: mah :jeep: :truk:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:15 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:12 pm

#metoo

I don't have any tracks to drive at, otherwise I probably would have held onto my :poorvette:

Oh well, the simple vehicular life sure is easier. Plus I :wub: mah :jeep: :truk:

This is why NJ is pretty ideal in regards to track driving. :troywax:
NJMP, Lime Rock, Pocono, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, VIR, Mid-Ohio all within a ~8 hour drive.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:15 pm

NJMP, Lime Rock, Pocono, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, VIR, Mid-Ohio all within a ~8 hour drive.
The closest decent track to me is 4 hours away. Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, and Pit Race are all ~4 hours away. Too far to do in a day, and I did it a few times. Not worth it.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm

The closest decent track to me is 4 hours away. Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, and Pit Race are all ~4 hours away. Too far to do in a day, and I did it a few times. Not worth it.
:word:

I kinda just want to play in the woods now too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 pm
:word:

I kinda just want to play in the woods now too.
Yep, it's all I care about now.