DFD Does Daycare: The Parenting Thread!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

So, I know we are all pretty 50/50 mix of those who have :baby: and those who do not. I am going to be a dad soon, in less than 4 weeks :doomed:

I figured this would be our little parenting corner of DFD where we can ask for advice, post updates, and in general be our own "internet" support network when the sleep deprivation hits.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Get that baby on a schedule, we used moms on call method.

If they are not sleeping through the night by 2 months you are fucking up.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:popcorn:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:narc: :baby:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 am:popcorn:
:dat:

:lolol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 am:popcorn:

:dat: :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:15 am Get that baby on a schedule, we used moms on call method.

If they are not sleeping through the night by 2 months you are fucking up.

Though, I'd say 3 months for sleeping through the night (mostly) is a very good target. G was born at the end of September, and slept in our room until early January. Wife was breast feeding, so it made it more convenient for him to be in there with us while he was still waking up every couple hours for feedings. By the time we moved him, he was sleeping between 4-6 hours without waking up, so it made sense then as he only needed one night time feeding then. The first week was rough, but he took to it pretty quickly.

By far though, the best thing I can tell you to do is schedule/routine; without me demanding that, I'm not sure things would've gone as smoothly. I've started to get a little more lax now as he's gotten old (he's almost 2) but I try to make sure we stick to it as much as possible.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Take them out every hour religiously for the first week. If they're not potty trained by then, you're doing something wrong.

A crate shouldn't be used as punishment, you want them to consider it their safe place.

Be sure to schedule daily exercise and training activities. Also handle their appendages frequently - it'll be easier to clip their nails and clean their ears in the future.

Shock collars can be great training tools, but should not replace consistent, structured training utilizing positive reward methods.

Take away water an hour or two before bedtime

Socialize with other people and pets early and often.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm Take them out every hour religiously for the first week. If they're not potty trained by then, you're doing something wrong.

A crate shouldn't be used as punishment, you want them to consider it their safe place.

Be sure to schedule daily exercise and training activities. Also handle their appendages frequently - it'll be easier to clip their nails and clean their ears in the future.

Shock collars can be great training tools, but should not replace consistent, structured training utilizing positive reward methods.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm Take them out every hour religiously for the first week. If they're not potty trained by then, you're doing something wrong.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I legit am laughing my ass off @ Sir Zilch.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I got a harness and a carrier. Hopefully the ride from the hospital is uneventful
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm I legit am laughing my ass off @ Sir Zilch.
It’s really not all that different.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm I legit am laughing my ass off @ Sir Zilch.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

It’s really not all that different.

Be firm, reward with treats, and don't let them eat in the car.

And don't let them sleep in bed with you.
Also good advice
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Lololol. And don't let them into bed with you, until you've built Mega-Bed
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm :gonbgud:
FTFY
wap

:lolgasm:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fuck dude... I just spit coffee out all overmy keyboard.

:fshitup:

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Trav gets POTD :bravo:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm Trav gets POTD :bravo:
:bow: