OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 pm It's weird watching :[user not found]: vs someone else. :popcorn:
:mahman: :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 pm It's weird watching :[user not found]: vs someone else. :popcorn:
POTD :lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

A half measure is better than a no measure. Anything to slow the spread to give our health system a chance at keeping pace. If you do nothing to combat it, and everyone gets sick at the same time, you overload our ability to treat people and the death rate goes up simply because you're unable to give people adequate care.

Almost 11k people have died in the US from this.
3,485 dead in NYC from COVID-19 so far. 2,997 died from the September 11 attacks.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:11 am A half measure is better than a no measure. Anything to slow the spread to give our health system a chance at keeping pace. If you do nothing to combat it, and everyone gets sick at the same time, you overload our ability to treat people and the death rate goes up simply because you're unable to give people adequate care.

3,485 dead in NYC from COVID-19 so far. 2,997 died from the September 11 attacks.
:dat: Fucking depressing.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:14 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:09 pm

it sounds like you just want to be angry at someone, and I don't know what I did to piss in your Cheerios, but good night and hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Wat? I'm in a great mood?

What you did is what you always do man. You're a smart dude that wastes his intelligence by being contrary. Either because it's fun for you, you consume shit media or something else. It's sad man.
:okboomer:

How are we feeling today?

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:11 am A half measure is better than a no measure. Anything to slow the spread to give our health system a chance at keeping pace. If you do nothing to combat it, and everyone gets sick at the same time, you overload our ability to treat people and the death rate goes up simply because you're unable to give people adequate care.

To :[user not found]: 's point and yours.... I stated IN BOTH POSTS that I don't have the answer. Im just annoyed by the preachiness, and I guess this is not going to be an outlet to complain about it.

We can wait a couple weeks for the articles to come out about how the economic slowdown reduced co2 and paused global warming to resume hostilities
brain go brrrrrr
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 am

Yes yes yes thank you.

The "it's only a half-measure so why bother?!?!" argument is one that is popular with con men, morons, first year college students that have taken a single economics course, and other disingenuous or mentally deficient individuals.

That argument has a long and interesting history but it's modern history starts in the 60s as a counterweight to the new anti-smoking movement. The tobacco companies funded the message that "stopping now won't help at all, might as well keep smoking!". This was adopted by all the scummy industries of our day particularly climate change deniers. People that know they are lying use it to convince stupid people who use it to try and derail any progress.

Our death toll today is a direct result of the anti-science movement funded and pushed by the tobacco companies and oil/gas interests. They, along with any politician who has ever taken a dollar from them, should be charged with involuntary manslaughter for every death that occurs as a result of COVID-19. The thing to keep in mind is this isn't even the culmination of that chain of events, this is simply a preview.

There is a reckoning coming for our hubris.
:popcorn:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Brad, I'm really dissapointed in you.
Thought you had more sense than that.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The best thing we can do as western society right now is to stop thinking that we know it all and start learning from other countries that are used to viruses like this one spreading from mainland China into their regions. Taiwan for example is managing COVID-19 like a champ, Vietnam as well, and they both have a very dense populations and exposure to China in a big way.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -the-world

Time to start reading and adjust accordingly. For one, these nations are used to wearing masks when they are sick, so when COVID hits these populations they ALL start wearing masks. When/if anyone who has the virus now goes out in the public they are already limiting the spread of the virus because they are covered up.

Seems pretty simple right? They have implemented numerous other strategies which we need to learn and implement right away if we actually want to limit the damage to the economy and loss of :okboomer:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:06 am
I really really hope the mask thing becomes cultural here. Sadly, I don't think it will.
I'd also love to see this. Doubtful about it too, doe.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:popcorn:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Guys guys. I'll write a longer reply and go read some of these arguments. I'm in awe of people clamoring for martial law.(not just here, but going on fb) How many people here are good with police or military shooting people for being non compliant? Show of hands? Cause that would be the next step.

We can't put an easy number on how many people will die from economic collapse. But that's a real number as well.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:59 am Brad, I'm really dissapointed in you.
I see no one is actually reading my posts and the chat group has made up its mind what to think

:nevermind:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 am Probably catch some hate for this, but oh well.
Got invited back into my gym over the weekend. Real small group of us (4), and we were all just doing our own thing for the most part. Right after we finished up and as we were leaving, like literally as the guy who works there was opening the door for us to walk out, the cops rolled up. Dude closed the door and we all grabbed cleaning supplies. Cops came in and said they’d received a report that people were still being let in to the gym. We were able to convince them that we were just there cleaning.. not too hard to believe since the gym floor is in disarray right now as the walls and some other stuff are all being repainted. Was definitely an adrenaline rush though. The cop didn’t really sound like he cared if we were lifting or not, but did leave us with a warning that if people are in there working out it’s a $1,000 fine per person.
eh. this whole thing is about mitigating risk, and people that are too dumb or too preachy forget that, (come at me bro)

Work in a huge building with 100s of people? probably good idea to close up shop. Work for a small firm with 10 people? Thats a lot lower risk and easier to mitigate.

Like your gym situation: Should planet shitness be closed? probably. Obscure bro gym full of the some of healthiest people on the planet? Reasonable measures can be taken to reduce risk.

Overall...as someone that respects science....this whole thing annoys me because its a half measure. Now, this thing is gonna kill. But nuking the economy will also have a real death toll too, not to mention a misery one. IE, there are 2 curves, and you should attempt to minimize death where they meet. Sure, we should try to flatten curves and all, and i'm not saying I have the answer to how much shut down vs death is the right number.... HOWEVER i get REAL annoyed by all the preachy bullshit people acting like social distancing is the 100% solution and is perfect if we could ONLY JUST MAKE MOAR PPL DO IT!!11eleven!!. No. thats not how this works. Kindly fuck off and annoy your boomer parents.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:02 pm Let's take this one step further, yes you want to minimize economic damage, absolutely agree. So let's start with your ten person business.

1) what ten person business can't work remote?
2) any ten person business that can't act remote is almost certainly brining in the public so therefore is not a ten person exposure but a thousands of person exposure
3) if you have a ten person business that can't work remote and doesn't interact with the public, fuck off. Your failure to plan isn't my problem. You staying open when a pandemic is going on makes it my problem. Bye Felicia. Hope you saved your pennies.

The economic damage will SUCK but it's way better than the downstream impacts of loads and loads of deaths. The economic impact is coming one way or another. If you let people die then fear will take an even bigger hold and that shit lasts YEARS. Worst depression ever level shit.

Lock it down, take the lumps now, move on. That's the only option.
I'm going to turn your argument around on you quite easily.

we still make things in this country. like ventilators. masks. ppe for medical professionals. I bet you will make an exception for those people to work (and should) . well they need to eat, get fuel, they needs bits and bobs and goo to make thier things. machine shops to make injection molds for making these things, that we need more of. those guys need tools, oil, power, raw materials.

where does the master planner of the economy Mr :alpo: himself decide where the supply chain needs to end and what is and is not 'critical need'

you are at least somewhat guilty of the same thing you are accusing me of. you have an opinion of how to handle things as handed down from your team and even challenging it is not up for discussion.

I personally, don't have the answer. nor do I care to become an overnight internet expert. all I'm saying is for everyone to admit to themselves this is a half measure, and that it is 100% damaging the economy. both things have a human life loss associated with it... I hope our government is working to minimize the damage...on both fronts.

There, self quoted myself and huge and bolded the parts where i clearly say i dont know what to do. Englishmotherfuckers, and all.

Carry on in your echo boxes and dont think critically.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am The best thing we can do as western society right now is to stop thinking that we know it all and start learning from other countries that are used to viruses like this one spreading from mainland China into their regions. Taiwan for example is managing COVID-19 like a champ, Vietnam as well, and they both have a very dense populations and exposure to China in a big way.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -the-world

Time to start reading and adjust accordingly. For one, these nations are used to wearing masks when they are sick, so when COVID hits these populations they ALL start wearing masks. When/if anyone who has the virus now goes out in the public they are already limiting the spread of the virus because they are covered up.

Seems pretty simple right? They have implemented numerous other strategies which we need to learn and implement right away if we actually want to limit the damage to the economy and loss of :okboomer:
I really really hope the mask thing becomes cultural here. Sadly, I don't think it will.
I'd love to see people who recognize that they have a cold/flu take it upon themselves to wear one too. It would be great if we all put one on when in public places for the time being. The Czechs and Slovakia fine people not covering their face during the epidemic and out in public, it doesn't have to be a N95 mask, just something to catch their own saliva. Its brutally simple and works, WHO has a daily list of cases per country and is worth comparing notes.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am

eh. this whole thing is about mitigating risk, and people that are too dumb or too preachy forget that, (come at me bro)

Work in a huge building with 100s of people? probably good idea to close up shop. Work for a small firm with 10 people? Thats a lot lower risk and easier to mitigate.

Like your gym situation: Should planet shitness be closed? probably. Obscure bro gym full of the some of healthiest people on the planet? Reasonable measures can be taken to reduce risk.

Overall...as someone that respects science....this whole thing annoys me because its a half measure. Now, this thing is gonna kill. But nuking the economy will also have a real death toll too, not to mention a misery one. IE, there are 2 curves, and you should attempt to minimize death where they meet. Sure, we should try to flatten curves and all, and i'm not saying I have the answer to how much shut down vs death is the right number.... HOWEVER i get REAL annoyed by all the preachy bullshit people acting like social distancing is the 100% solution and is perfect if we could ONLY JUST MAKE MOAR PPL DO IT!!11eleven!!. No. thats not how this works. Kindly fuck off and annoy your boomer parents.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm going to turn your argument around on you quite easily.

we still make things in this country. like ventilators. masks. ppe for medical professionals. I bet you will make an exception for those people to work (and should) . well they need to eat, get fuel, they needs bits and bobs and goo to make thier things. machine shops to make injection molds for making these things, that we need more of. those guys need tools, oil, power, raw materials.

where does the master planner of the economy Mr :alpo: himself decide where the supply chain needs to end and what is and is not 'critical need'

you are at least somewhat guilty of the same thing you are accusing me of. you have an opinion of how to handle things as handed down from your team and even challenging it is not up for discussion.

I personally, don't have the answer. nor do I care to become an overnight internet expert. all I'm saying is for everyone to admit to themselves this is a half measure, and that it is 100% damaging the economy. both things have a human life loss associated with it... I hope our government is working to minimize the damage...on both fronts.

There, self quoted myself and huge and bolded the parts where i clearly say i dont know what to do. Englishmotherfuckers, and all.

Carry on in your echo boxes and dont think critically.
You can bold your own words all you want, but that doesn't change the overall sentiment of your post. You might say you don't have the answers, but you certainly seem to at least imply that what we're doing now is wrong.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 am

I'd love to see people who recognize that they have a cold/flu take it upon themselves to wear one too. It would be great if we all put one on when in public places for the time being. The Czechs and Slovakia fine people not covering their face during the epidemic and out in public, it doesn't have to be a N95 mask, just something to catch their own saliva. Its brutally simple and works, WHO has a daily list of cases per country and is worth comparing notes.
It is entirely a cultural thing. There has to be widespread buy-in for it to be effective. I like the way PA's secretary of health put it - "My mask protects you, your mask protects me."
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 am
I see no one is actually reading my posts and the chat group has made up its mind what to think

Oh fuck off. I made up my mind when you went on a rant in our group chat. I just have been refraining from saying anything until now.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

So....masks....for a while it was said that masks should be reserved for healthcare workers on the front lines since they're much more at risk and our supply is limited.

That's somehow no longer the case?

I'm legit concerned about the health of our healthcare professionals. They start going down and we're hosed.

I'm not wearing a mask.
:triggered:

I'm also not going out in public.
:trollface:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am So....masks....for a while it was said that masks should be reserved for healthcare workers on the front lines since they're much more at risk and our supply is limited.

I'm legit concerned about the health of our healthcare professionals. They start going down and we're hosed.

I'm not wearing a mask.

They are not advocating that we wear N95s or surgical masks. Most suggestions I've seen are for homemade cloth masks. Lots of templates out on the internet.

Now, in normal times, where PPE is more accessible, surgical masks would be reasonable to wear for anyone feeling sick.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 am

Oh fuck off. I made up my mind when you went on a rant in our group chat. I just have been refraining from saying anything until now.
Well speak. what did I say that was so offensive? Referencing actual data from the CDC website?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

nakenyon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am So....masks....for a while it was said that masks should be reserved for healthcare workers on the front lines since they're much more at risk and our supply is limited.

I'm not wearing a mask.

They are not advocating that we wear N95s or surgical masks. Most suggestions I've seen are for homemade cloth masks. Lots of templates out on the internet.

Now, in normal times, where PPE is more accessible, surgical masks would be reasonable to wear for anyone feeling sick.
Ah, so this is something to fight boredom with. Right on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 am Guys guys. I'll write a longer reply and go read some of these arguments. I'm in awe of people clamoring for martial law.(not just here, but going on fb) How many people here are good with police or military shooting people for being non compliant? Show of hands? Cause that would be the next step.

We can't put an easy number on how many people will die from economic collapse. But that's a real number as well.
Don’t even have to be non-compliant to get shot.
Last edited by Apex on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 am
nakenyon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 am

Ah, so this is something to fight boredom with. Right on.
Not just boredom. If you're going out and wear a cloth mask, it will reduce the amount of droplets that you put out into the world. It obviously isn't going to filter like an N95, but it will reduce spread to some degree.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:mahtroy:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:59 pm Image
:notbad: