OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 am

I see no one is actually reading my posts and the chat group has made up its mind what to think

:nevermind:
:mahtroy:
:mindblown:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 am Guys guys. I'll write a longer reply and go read some of these arguments. I'm in awe of people clamoring for martial law.(not just here, but going on fb) How many people here are good with police or military shooting people for being non compliant? Show of hands? Cause that would be the next step.

We can't put an easy number on how many people will die from economic collapse. But that's a real number as well.
Who is clamoring for martial law? The only person I see advocating for it is Brad.
I meant to reference more opinions ive seen on the bookfuck. I lump anyone that wants to shut the entire world down for a month and use police/mil to enforce as someone that want martial law.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 am

I meant to reference more opinions ive seen on the bookfuck. I lump anyone that wants to shut the entire world down for a month and use police/mil to enforce as someone that want martial law.
Ah got it.

Our approach here has worked really well. State Police have given out literally a handful of minimal fines to businesses and a slightly higher number of warnings. People are respecting it really well. Martial Law is inevitable in places that get behind the eight ball on this one. I would anticipate it in some places in the south or out west.
I want to see it in Lakewood. Damn people still doing whatever the fuck they want and the governor says to shut up because anyone complaining is anti Semitic (sp?).
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 am

Ah got it.

Our approach here has worked really well. State Police have given out literally a handful of minimal fines to businesses and a slightly higher number of warnings. People are respecting it really well. Martial Law is inevitable in places that get behind the eight ball on this one. I would anticipate it in some places in the south or out west.
I went out yesterday morning to return a mini skid steer I rented for over the weekend to level the yard. They opened at 7am, and I wanted to reduce my exposure to others, so I left right at 7am.

I couldn't believe the people out. Traffic like it was a normal work day. Lines at the grocery store, drug store, even the rental place had a line of people returning yard equipment. The rental place had it DOWN to where you just pulled up, a dude disinfected the coupling on the trailer and anywhere on the equipment you touch, they unhooked trailer/or unloaded and sent you off...no human interaction.

So the debate...is my area fucked? People are still going out like it's NBD, but clearly there's precautions in place like the rental place. I have no idea how that interaction could spread anything, but I expect plenty of :triggered: for even going out to do that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Apex wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am Ah got it.

I want to see it in Lakewood. Damn people still doing whatever the fuck they want and the governor says to shut up because anyone complaining is anti Semitic (sp?).
Wait, what? ‘Splain please. I’ve not really been looking at news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:therapist:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 am
Melon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 am

Oh fuck off. I made up my mind when you went on a rant in our group chat. I just have been refraining from saying anything until now.
Well speak. what did I say that was so offensive? Referencing actual data from the CDC website?
There's the implication that the stay-at-home order (which vary by state) are half-measures and are tanking the economy.
As you said, and said that no one noticed by embolding them, the jury is still out on this, which is fair. History will decide, and we would be doing ourselves a disservice if we did not take a retrospective look.
But, the primary crux of this argument is Lives vs. Economy. You say tanking the economy will have a death toll, and a misery one. Possibly, but miserable people are still alive.
Social distancing is working. Don't believe me? Fair, Google "Social distancing is working" and then "Social distancing is not working"

I see it as a moral obligation, we must do whatever we can to save lives.
There are other things we can do to help the economy.
Shop local.
Order from local restaurants.
Make donations.
Listen to musical friends play live shows.

There are more ways to help if you look around.

In our conversation I only recall one statistic you quoted from the CDC's website, which is to number of flu fatalities.
The argument that this is "Just as bad as the flu" in regarding the death toll, is completely asinine.

I believe you gave a number in the vicinity of 80,000. This is also inaccurate.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm
The CDC states for the 2019-2020 flu season they project deaths in the rate of 24,000-60,000

Now, let's talk COVID-19 projections.
I'll start with the necessary disclaimer, these seem to vary wildly and this article is from the NY Times, different publications may choose different numbers.
The article is also nearly a month old, most newer news articles are behind pay walls.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/c ... imate.html

"Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to a projection that encompasses the range of the four scenarios. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die."

Slightly more recent article from March 30th.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump ... ojections/

"In an appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union” on March 29, Fauci said that even with mitigation efforts that have been put into effect, 100,000 to 200,000 Americans could die from the disease."

Here is the worldwide number:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-toll/

To liken a virus that has a higher R value, and is still being understood, to a seasonal virus, that is well understood is trying to extrapolate from incomplete data.
All we can look at are projections, and it doesn't look good.

On the note about "being preached to"
Everyone is handling this different, emotionally and physically. Have a little compassion and understanding.
Some people have gotten too much, from both sides, so I have unfollowed or unfriended them. There are a lot of 'Pathogen Patriots' to 'Do-Nothing Dale' to the stupid ass "post the 9th picture in your phone" people. You're going to see my asshole Darla, keep it up. But hey, we're all bored as fuck.

Circling back around:
To sit there and say it's as bad as the flu, and then mention freezer trucks storing dead bodies in NYC. I was a bit baffled by the juxtaposition.
I don't recall seeing temporary morgues during flu season. I don't recall seeing GM stop producing cars to start producing medical equipment during a flu season.
I don't recall seeing a nation go from normal life to a completely new normal within the span of 10 days.

Now, this is the part where we agree.
Should we be concerned about what the FED is doing? Absolutely, we need to pay attention.
Do we owe it to ourselves to really do a thorough review of how this was handled? Oh yeah we do.
Will we get to a point where things return to "normal" and we allow a certain amount of risk? Probably. I know I mentioned a moral obligation to save lives, and hopefully by this point, we can change behaviors and allow for thorough testing to be able to protect those vulnerable while developing a herd immunity.

It's not "just a flu"
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wait until this virus mutates and becomes seasonal, just as the flu does. :popcorn:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:50 am
Calvinball wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 am

Weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, celebrations for anything and everything. They're still gathering en-masse.

There was a list of rabbis that had died due to COVID-19 I saw recently - https://www.app.com/story/news/health/2 ... 097253002/

That was on the 31st of March. 40% of all COVID-19 cases in Ocean County, NJ stem from Lakewood.
Along the rabbi path, the number of fucking churches that are still congregating.

Being covered in Jesus' blood won't save you, Karen.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 am Wait until this virus mutates and becomes seasonal, just as the flu does. :popcorn:
Projections are this will mutate out of a human-contractable strain. Same as MERS or SARS.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 am Wait until this virus mutates and becomes seasonal, just as the flu does. :popcorn:
Doubtful. It might become seasonal because it is in circulation. Early studies show that it is fairly stable and hasn't mutated much in its spread to this point.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am
Projections are this will mutate out of a human-contractable strain. Same as MERS or SARS.
The strongest mutations will kill off their hosts too. Thus, if we practice proper social distancing, the strongest mutations won't live long.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

nakenyon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 am

Weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, celebrations for anything and everything. They're still gathering en-masse.

There was a list of rabbis that had died due to COVID-19 I saw recently - https://www.app.com/story/news/health/2 ... 097253002/

That was on the 31st of March. 40% of all COVID-19 cases in Ocean County, NJ stem from Lakewood.
Along the rabbi path, the number of fucking churches that are still congregating.

The real crime in all this is Karen can't go to Cheesecake Factory after church and yell at a poor food service worker. This lockdown is a direct attack on long standing Sunday traditions.
Johnny_P

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 am

:dat: they have frequent gatherings in the hundreds. By frequent I mean daily.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 am

The real crime in all this is Karen can't go to Cheesecake Factory after church and yell at a poor food service worker. This lockdown is a direct attack on long standing Sunday traditions.
:howdareyou:
I said over easy and these are over medium :howdareu: I demand to speak to your manager
ChrisoftheNorth

nakenyon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 am

I've got a buddy that works at Home Depot as a manager in the customer service dept. He said the Karens are just going to HD now. Angry about social distancing measures leading to long lines outside the store (they only let a certain number of people in at a time). Angry about how long curbside pickup of online orders is taking. Angry about not being able to buy masks (he said his store decided to donate 100% of masks to our local hospital...as soon as a pallet comes in, they mark it for donation and someone drives a rental pickup over to the hospital).

Karens always gonna find a way to Karen.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 am

:howdareyou:
I said over easy and these are over medium :howdareu: I demand to speak to your manager
:lolol:

:bravo:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am

I've got a buddy that works at Home Depot as a manager in the customer service dept. He said the Karens are just going to HD now. Angry about social distancing measures leading to long lines outside the store (they only let a certain number of people in at a time). Angry about how long curbside pickup of online orders is taking. Angry about not being able to buy masks (he said his store decided to donate 100% of masks to our local hospital...as soon as a pallet comes in, they mark it for donation and someone drives a rental pickup over to the hospital).

Glad to see Karens are resourceful.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 am
:dat: :disgust:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:14 am
nakenyon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:12 am

Glad to see Karens are resourceful.
Karens are Beckys that have weaponized their privilege.
Oh wow
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Lowe's didn't have any restrictions. I went on Saturday, and only needed building materials. That side of the store was empty as fuck, but the other side was packed. Sunday and yesterday it was nearly empty.
PetSmart was a ghost town.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think the whole “metering” situation is :fullretard: you stand in line to get into the store to get coughed at. I’m
Surprised they are even getting shipments of masks to the stores considering the :fullretard: mask
Sitch
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am

:lolol:

:bravo:
Little Maison needs his chicken nuggies FRESH god dammit :howdareu: make him eat them in the car. I demand to speak to a manager.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am So....masks....for a while it was said that masks should be reserved for healthcare workers on the front lines since they're much more at risk and our supply is limited.

That's somehow no longer the case?

I'm legit concerned about the health of our healthcare professionals. They start going down and we're hosed.

I'm not wearing a mask.
:triggered:

I'm also not going out in public.
:trollface:
Yeah don't go buying up all the N95 masks that are needed at a hospital, but if society while in public covered their faces there would be no spreading of COVID and the medical industry would get the break that they desperately need. In the Czech Republic and Slovakia specifically (will dig up some links when I get time), the households are sewing their own up and following instructions on wearing and cleaning them etc.