OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:58 pm I am also in tech sales :notsure:
I too hate tech, yet the products I work on are getting lots of tech in fast order. I have to work hard to care.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:03 pm
I too hate tech, yet the products I work on are getting lots of tech in fast order. I have to work hard to care.
I like Carplay, heated seats, and backup cameras. That's about it.
I don't miss heated seats as much as I thought I would, the Bimmer warms up really quickly. I do think a backup cam would be pretty :nice: :doe:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Back up cam is nice, but I see way too many :derp: rely completely on that and not look over either shoulder when backing up and missing things that are on their sides.

Tech will make :fullretard: out of all of us.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm

You can currently lease a 2019 CX5 touring with the preferred package for 12k mi/yr, $2k out of pocket (including tax, motor vehicle, and first payment) for under $300/mo. Lease includes gap and $1000 of wear and tear.

That’s a very well equipped car. Heated seats, CarPlay, power drivers seat, Bose, power lift gate, sunroof. It’s the bread and butter of the CX5.

Seems reasonable to me.
True but even that is out of range for a lot of people. Based on Troys article.
I have multiple express lube techs being paid $11-12/hour with new Challenger Scat Packs, Mustangs or Wranglers with godawfully high payments over $700/mo.

One of them came to me last week and asked for a raise and to work 5 hours of overtime a week, because he had to start paying rent at home and can't afford the car. He's paying $740/mo for 72 months on a Challenger. I spent an hour last week trying to talk him out of a $7500 SnapOn toolbox financed through the SnapOn truck at $50/week. He wants it because all the main shop guys have them. He doesn't realise that what's in the box is more important, and spending $3k on tools to put in a $700 box is a much better decision.

I denied the raise. He ordered the toolbox last week. I gave up.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:45 pm Image
love this
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 pm

I have multiple express lube techs being paid $11-12/hour with new Challenger Scat Packs, Mustangs or Wranglers with godawfully high payments over $700/mo.

One of them came to me last week and asked for a raise and to work 5 hours of overtime a week, because he had to start paying rent at home and can't afford the car. He's paying $740/mo for 72 months on a Challenger. I spent an hour last week trying to talk him out of a $7500 SnapOn toolbox financed through the SnapOn truck at $50/week. He wants it because all the main shop guys have them. He doesn't realise that what's in the box is more important, and spending $3k on tools to put in a $700 box is a much better decision.

Good help is hard to find.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:45 pm Image
:lol: she took a sailboat across The Atlantic to head back to Europe instead of a plane because of carbon footprint, I'll take a much faster transportation with no wind rushing in my face and be warm and comfy. What is she's trying to do, go back to amish times?
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:facepalm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

$50/week?

WTF is that, 20 years?

At 0% it would be 12.5 years before it's paid back. They think he's going to be doing oil changes there for the next 20 years?

:lolol:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 pm

$50/week?

WTF is that, 20 years?

At 0% it would be 12.5 years before it's paid back. They think he's going to be doing oil changes there for the next 20 years?

No, he’ll repo the box, sell it to someone else for 80% and keep collecting from the kid, all while destroying his credit and blacklisting him from every snap on dealer out there.

Some of those guys are crooks. When I was at Porsche I had the local guy trade in an 18v 1/2 impact towards a new one for $200, then sell it to a tech in the other building for $350.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 pm

$50/week?

WTF is that, 20 years?

No, he’ll repo the box, sell it to someone else for 80% and keep collecting from the kid, all while destroying his credit and blacklisting him from every snap on dealer out there.

Some of those guys are crooks. When I was at Porsche I had the local guy trade in an 18v 1/2 impact towards a new one for $200, then sell it to a tech in the other building for $350.
Damn, making bank off the working man.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My friend's dad is a snap on salesman the bank comment is true, although he made his money selling to Union employees who could actually afford the tools. He moved down to Raleigh last year though and said everyone now is an idiot and doesn't know how money works.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

aw fuck I woke up again and have to do this shit all over
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man... 10% of your pre tax wages on a financed tool box :facepalm:

I’m kinda on board with the $740/month Chally, if you can do it, fuck it.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 am Man... 10% of your pre tax wages on a financed tool box :facepalm:

$740/month when you’re making maybe $12/hr doe?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 am Man... 10% of your pre tax wages on a financed tool box :facepalm:

Bruh that's over 53k in payments for a kid who won't touch 20/hr before the loan ends
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 am

Depending on state taxes, that leaves you with about $700/month after paying your car payment.. or $500 after paying the toolbox..

Yeah, somebody is living off Mommy and Daddy more than they would like to admit.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I wonder what they pay for insurance
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am

Depending on state taxes, that leaves you with about $700/month after paying your car payment.. or $500 after paying the toolbox..

Yeah, somebody is living off Mommy and Daddy more than they would like to admit.
It is the :millennial: way.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:gag:

:dubshow: and I were talking about this just on Sunday, how utterly shit HS is for preparing kids for real world shit like income, bills, taxes.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

:dubshow: and I were talking about this just on Sunday, how utterly shit HS is for preparing kids for real world shit like income, bills, taxes.
When I worked at AOL there was a girl in the office who was 22 with a kid, and had no idea what a W-2 was. She had never done taxes in her 5 years of having jobs.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 am

It is the :millennial: way who tries too hard, car is more of a personal want, but snap on is definitely trying hard for sure
fixed :dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

Yeah, it's so bad my wife and her best friend both started teaching this stuff in their classes, but it's 8th grade, so I'm sure they will forget 80% of it if someone doesn't pick it up during HS. Most of the 8th graders here have no idea how money even works. They all have their parents credit card on their iphone and just get what they want.

My wife is a math teacher and her friend teaches home ec... They focus on tax percentage and budgeting as well as having a "system" to remember to pay bills.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I was talking to my meets buddies who works at the dealers as salesmen, when I asked for the lowest credit score one of their customers financed, it was 300 and I believe I was told about $800 for an Accord iirc :wtf: