OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Incredibly, we're still getting our bonuses from last year...paid at the end of this month. That was an :impressive: :notbad: surprise along with the 20% 3 mo deferment. If deferment is really only 3 mos, it shouldn't be a huge hit as a result of the bonus.
:nice: 2020 bonuses sound unlikely to happen here, but sales people aren't eligible for bonuses anyway :ohwell: We are still eligible to get commish if we can make the sales :lolol: We did get a commission guarantee for March prior to all of this happening which is still being honored :nice:
I don't think ANYONE will get bonuses in 2020. I suspect we'll get our deferment checks in place of bonuses. Better than nothing, but the .gov better not tax it at the same rate they tax bonuses.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Because it's a slippery slope and people are fucking retarded.
:notwrong:

I still don't see why responsible people gathering under the radar is cause for :triggered:

Obviously don't broadcast the concept to the :derp: masses, but these days, walking past someone without walking to the opposite side of the street is cause for :howdareu: :triggered: :pout:
I think it is more out of frustration because people are unrelentingly stupid and you can't distinguish those who are taking precautions from those who are taking the loosey-goosey approach. From the outside observer, it all just looks like irresponsibility and a compounding reason as to why this thing is going to drag on.

Personally, we try to go on walks every day through the neighborhood, and I do get frustrated with people who don't move away when walking pass. I'd say it is 70% them walking on the wrong side of the fucking street and 30% of the current situation.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:38 am
I don't see why some activity is so bad if everyone involved uses common sense. Keep crowds down, be vigilant about disinfecting, and be mindful of higher risk individuals.
:rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm

:notwrong:

I still don't see why responsible people gathering under the radar is cause for :triggered:

Obviously don't broadcast the concept to the :derp: masses, but these days, walking past someone without walking to the opposite side of the street is cause for :howdareu: :triggered: :pout:
Having a wife in a high risk group (diabetes, one kidney, prior smoker) and Having lost both of my parents to a disease that left them immuno-compromised in their latter days let me just say.....

its all fun and games until someone gives one of your loved one an illness that sickens and then kills them....

while my mom was undergoing chemo for newly diagnosed late stage lung cancer, her mother (my beloved Gram) died...... at the funeral Mom, my brother and I all wore masks.

Probably appearing much like the secret service, We sandwiched her between us. We did this in order to send the message to everyone that they needed to stay the fuck away from her if they were sick....

It sucked....

big time.....

but in our minds (and especially our hearts) it was necessary.....

Responsible people are staying away from one another......
Last edited by Irish on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

On a lighter note....

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:40 am :thisisfine:

Wu-Han Clan :lolol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Been sitting on this info this morning, but after 10 months after quitting dialysis, my wife's step father passed away sometime overnight.

I can honestly say that we never thought he would make it this long, but he was very tough. Initially the doctors told him he wouldn't last 2 weeks, but he quit going anyway after a couple people died in the chairs next to him while he was getting treatment done.

Now we need to go back to Arizona to help take care of things... Not exactly ideal times to travel, but what can you do? My wife's mom who is 86 says she's been prepared for this, but hasn't been "alone" since 1972, so I think she's going to take it harder than she expects.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm Been sitting on this info this morning, but after 10 months after quitting dialysis, my wife's step father passed away sometime overnight.

I can honestly say that we never thought he would make it this long, but he was very tough. Initially the doctors told him he wouldn't last 2 weeks, but he quit going anyway after a couple people died in the chairs next to him while he was getting treatment done.

Now we need to go back to Arizona to help take care of things... Not exactly ideal times to travel, but what can you do? My wife's mom who is 86 says she's been prepared for this, but hasn't been "alone" since 1972, so I think she's going to take it harder than she expects.
Man. Sorry to hear that. That’s great he got so much more time than expected, but the timing is definitely off like you said. Hope your wife and her mom are doing alright.
Irish

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm Been sitting on this info this morning, but after 10 months after quitting dialysis, my wife's step father passed away sometime overnight.

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. Hope she keeps as stiff an upper lip as she can and please travel safe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am
In a small group of people you know, why not?

I know which of my friends have common sense and which don't...i.e. who I'd trust to spend time around and who I'd pass on.

A large group of strangers is a :hellno:
:bruh: unfortunately locking us all up in the biggest human lockup in world history seems to be the only way to prevent the spread. This is what happens when we live in a society where 10-50% of the population... is Special.
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Damn waxer, sorry to hear this. Hopefully you guys being there to help take care of things makes it a little easier on her. Best wishes headed your way my friend.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sorry man :sad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

My condolences to your wife. I'm very sorry to hear that.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Thanks guys.

Honestly, I think I was closer to him than she was. She has bad memories of a controlling militant step father when she was growing up. As adults, and by the time I met him he was not too bad, but still had severe control issues.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Shit, sorry :waxer:
Safe travels to you and I hope you bring your MIL much comfort.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am

eh. this whole thing is about mitigating risk, and people that are too dumb or too preachy forget that, (come at me bro)

Work in a huge building with 100s of people? probably good idea to close up shop. Work for a small firm with 10 people? Thats a lot lower risk and easier to mitigate.

Like your gym situation: Should planet shitness be closed? probably. Obscure bro gym full of the some of healthiest people on the planet? Reasonable measures can be taken to reduce risk.

Overall...as someone that respects science....this whole thing annoys me because its a half measure. Now, this thing is gonna kill. But nuking the economy will also have a real death toll too, not to mention a misery one. IE, there are 2 curves, and you should attempt to minimize death where they meet. Sure, we should try to flatten curves and all, and i'm not saying I have the answer to how much shut down vs death is the right number.... HOWEVER i get REAL annoyed by all the preachy bullshit people acting like social distancing is the 100% solution and is perfect if we could ONLY JUST MAKE MOAR PPL DO IT!!11eleven!!. No. thats not how this works. Kindly fuck off and annoy your boomer parents.
Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.
:roasted:
:popcorn:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm Thanks guys.

Honestly, I think I was closer to him than she was. She has bad memories of a controlling militant step father when she was growing up. As adults, and by the time I met him he was not too bad, but still had severe control issues.
Ah, then I extend my condolences to you as well.
I'm very sorry for the loss, for the both of you.

Travel safe, and stay healthy.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sorry to hear about the loss :waxer:
Stay safe man.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am

eh. this whole thing is about mitigating risk, and people that are too dumb or too preachy forget that, (come at me bro)

Work in a huge building with 100s of people? probably good idea to close up shop. Work for a small firm with 10 people? Thats a lot lower risk and easier to mitigate.

Like your gym situation: Should planet shitness be closed? probably. Obscure bro gym full of the some of healthiest people on the planet? Reasonable measures can be taken to reduce risk.

Overall...as someone that respects science....this whole thing annoys me because its a half measure. Now, this thing is gonna kill. But nuking the economy will also have a real death toll too, not to mention a misery one. IE, there are 2 curves, and you should attempt to minimize death where they meet. Sure, we should try to flatten curves and all, and i'm not saying I have the answer to how much shut down vs death is the right number.... HOWEVER i get REAL annoyed by all the preachy bullshit people acting like social distancing is the 100% solution and is perfect if we could ONLY JUST MAKE MOAR PPL DO IT!!11eleven!!. No. thats not how this works. Kindly fuck off and annoy your boomer parents.
Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.
:howdareu:. :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

sorry to hear man, be safe in your travels
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:02 pm Let's take this one step further, yes you want to minimize economic damage, absolutely agree. So let's start with your ten person business.

1) what ten person business can't work remote?
2) any ten person business that can't act remote is almost certainly brining in the public so therefore is not a ten person exposure but a thousands of person exposure
3) if you have a ten person business that can't work remote and doesn't interact with the public, fuck off. Your failure to plan isn't my problem. You staying open when a pandemic is going on makes it my problem. Bye Felicia. Hope you saved your pennies.

The economic damage will SUCK but it's way better than the downstream impacts of loads and loads of deaths. The economic impact is coming one way or another. If you let people die then fear will take an even bigger hold and that shit lasts YEARS. Worst depression ever level shit.

Lock it down, take the lumps now, move on. That's the only option.
I'm going to turn your argument around on you quite easily.

we still make things in this country. like ventilators. masks. ppe for medical professionals. I bet you will make an exception for those people to work (and should) . well they need to eat, get fuel, they needs bits and bobs and goo to make thier things. machine shops to make injection molds for making these things, that we need more of. those guys need tools, oil, power, raw materials.

where does the master planner of the economy Mr :alpo: himself decide where the supply chain needs to end and what is and is not 'critical need'

you are at least somewhat guilty of the same thing you are accusing me of. you have an opinion of how to handle things as handed down from your team and even challenging it is not up for discussion.

I personally, don't have the answer. nor do I care to become an overnight internet expert. all I'm saying is for everyone to admit to themselves this is a half measure, and that it is 100% damaging the economy. both things have a human life loss associated with it... I hope our government is working to minimize the damage...on both fronts.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm going to turn your argument around on you quite easily.

we still make things in this country. like ventilators. masks. ppe for medical professionals. I bet you will make an exception for those people to work (and should) . well they need to eat, get fuel, they needs bits and bobs and goo to make thier things. machine shops to make injection molds for making these things, that we need more of. those guys need tools, oil, power, raw materials.

where does the master planner of the economy Mr :alpo: himself decide where the supply chain needs to end and what is and is not 'critical need'

you are at least somewhat guilty of the same thing you are accusing me of. you have an opinion of how to handle things as handed down from your team and even challenging it is not up for discussion.

I personally, don't have the answer. nor do I care to become an overnight internet expert. all I'm saying is for everyone to admit to themselves this is a half measure, and that it is 100% damaging the economy. both things have a human life loss associated with it... I hope our government is working to minimize the damage...on both fronts.
Ahhh the classic "you're right so I won't respond" response.

I however will respond... You once again prove your ignorance. As we've been dealing with here in the North East for the better part of a month, all the supply chain critical businesses you mentioned are open and operating and *GASP* no other morons are. As one that works in a health care critical business and has to go in a couple times a week, I can attest to how many people AREN'T out and about right now.

You're always going to cut into the grey on the "critical" question and that's ok. To not take action because it's not perfect is stupid. Just plain fucking stupid. This is working and it's sliced THIN. If you look at our lists up here you'll see a couple why are they open? and a couple why are they closed? That's pretty damn good in the scheme of things.

I'm not guilty of what you're guilty of because I'm not hiding behind a hedge. It's not perfect, that doesn't matter. As they say, perfection is the enemy of the good.

Stay. the. fuck. home.
it sounds like you just want to be angry at someone, and I don't know what I did to piss in your Cheerios, but good night and hope you have a better day tomorrow.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It's weird watching :[user not found]: vs someone else. :popcorn:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I went for a drive after work because it was a freaking beautiful day, and I needed some sunshine today.

:doomed:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 pm It's weird watching :[user not found]: vs someone else. :popcorn:
This made me :lolol: