OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Just announced payroll reductions company-wide. :popcorn:

Hopefully this all works and we can come out with jobs down the line.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Felt bad for the CEO delivering that message, TBH.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm Felt bad for the CEO delivering that message, TBH.
He should be able to apply for SBA loans. Reduce cost, ride the loan, come out strong. Hopefully.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm Felt bad for the CEO delivering that message, TBH.
He should be able to apply for SBA loans. Reduce cost, ride the loan, come out strong. Hopefully.
I'm sure they have done that I would think. They say they will pay it back if possible - everyone will be paid back before any executives are paid back on their salary (they took an 80% cut) or anyone, execs included, receive bonuses.

All things considered, our CEO has been fucking rad through this whole thing and they seem to be doing as much as possible for employees.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:00 pm Surprisingly :notbad: day at work so far. One of my dealers is bored and apparently wealthy - helped him design a home theater for his basement at a cool $11.3K dealer cost - should be ordering today or next week.

Was able to help a few people with some things, and while I won't hit my quota for the month, sales were higher than March 2019, so all things considered that is pretty damn good I think.
I would still like speakers. Just a 2.1 setup. I haven't done that. Life has been insanity, man.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm sure they have done that I would think. They say they will pay it back if possible - everyone will be paid back before any executives are paid back on their salary (they took an 80% cut) or anyone, execs included, receive bonuses.

All things considered, our CEO has been fucking rad through this whole thing and they seem to be doing as much as possible for employees.
That is honestly really solid of them. My prior company would have just laid everyone off NFG.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm

That is honestly really solid of them. My prior company would have just laid everyone off NFG.
Yeah he hopped on video chat and delivered the message to the company "face to face". He admitted it sucks, but said they're doing everything possible to avoid layoffs. All in all, 5/7 the way the company is :dealwithit:
Johnny_P

900 deaths in Italy just today.
46 doctors have died since the start of the outbreak.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm 900 deaths in Italy just today.
Man, that is especially :sad:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

That's insane. I checked and they are just over 9,000 deaths from this virus.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:54 pm
14k ish new cases in the US today.

We're up to 44.6k cases, 519 dead in NY alone. NYC planning on running out of ventilators (ICU ability) in the next couple of days. despite being restocked 4 times in the last 10 days.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I got word that my company is furloughing 35% of the contractors in our division until July 5th. Luckily for me and my team, the buildings are remaining open so we are able to continue maintaining the sites.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:00 pm Surprisingly :notbad: day at work so far. One of my dealers is bored and apparently wealthy - helped him design a home theater for his basement at a cool $11.3K dealer cost - should be ordering today or next week.

Was able to help a few people with some things, and while I won't hit my quota for the month, sales were higher than March 2019, so all things considered that is pretty damn good I think.
I would still like speakers. Just a 2.1 setup. I haven't done that. Life has been insanity, man.
I bought a 55" LG OLED TV for my computer last month and decided to try a sound bar with it since they bundled for a discount. The one I got is a 7.1.2 and 710 watts.

I've never been a sound bar fan, but in a smaller room (my office is 12x14), this thing rocks pretty damned good. I would imagine that it would do fine in a larger room. The only complaint people have on it was the price, because w/o the TV it was $1399, but Best Buy sells it for $999. With the TV I got it for $750.

I would say try a quality soundbar from someplace you can return it easily if needed.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 pm

I bought a 55" LG OLED TV for my computer last month and decided to try a sound bar with it since they bundled for a discount. The one I got is a 7.1.2 and 710 watts.

I've never been a sound bar fan, but in a smaller room (my office is 12x14), this thing rocks pretty damned good. I would imagine that it would do fine in a larger room. The only complaint people have on it was the price, because w/o the TV it was $1399, but Best Buy sells it for $999. With the TV I got it for $750.

I would say try a quality soundbar from someplace you can return it easily if needed.
:notbad: I think I wanted speakers just because they look classier. Reality is though, if it works when my TV is on, and I can also connect to bluetooth... then it works for what I want to do.

My Sony tv has been great, but after 11 years the speakers are in need of replacement. And I don't want to buy a new TV because the picture on this one is still excellent.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have a pretty small living room and I'm happy with the sound bar + sub Yamaha MusicCast system. I agree that sound bars ain't all that, but it's really :notbad: depending and you can't beat the ease of install.

Best sounding thing in my house are my powered 8" driver studio monitors in my office :doe:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
My cousin's husband is the closest person I know so far to be positive. He'll probably be OK at this point but I'm sure he got it at work... ER doctor.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm

:notbad: I think I wanted speakers just because they look classier. Reality is though, if it works when my TV is on, and I can also connect to bluetooth... then it works for what I want to do.

My Sony tv has been great, but after 11 years the speakers are in need of replacement. And I don't want to buy a new TV because the picture on this one is still excellent.
Yeah, I get it.

I wouldn't trade my AVR and speakers, but if I didn't have them or needed to save space, the newer soundbars are pretty kick ass, especially for the size they are.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 pm I bought a 55" LG OLED TV for my computer last month and decided to try a sound bar with it since they bundled for a discount. The one I got is a 7.1.2 and 710 watts.

I have a pretty small living room and I'm happy with the sound bar + sub Yamaha MusicCast system. I agree that sound bars ain't all that, but it's really :notbad: depending and you can't beat the ease of install.

Best sounding thing in my house are my powered 8" driver studio monitors in my office :doe:
I'm pretty happy with the powered 5" JBLs and a little Monoprice sub. $300ish total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'm using this setup right now in 5.1, It may seem a bit pricey from the initial glance, but they aren't and they definitely compare to speakers well above their price point.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ultra15-CCBpkg.html
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm I'm using this setup right now in 5.1, It may seem a bit pricey from the initial glance, but they aren't and they definitely compare to speakers well above their price point.

It's all relative, that isn't bad. It looks like I'm about to get this order for $11.3K dealer cost for a home theater system.... Granted it's more than just speakers, but still. Nice studio moniors can be $20K+ apiece easily but I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors at that level.
troyguitar

:waxer: gonna :waxer:

I've purposely avoided ever listening to anything really expensive, so I'm admittedly ignorant, but I find it hard to believe that it gets that much better than my :scrooge: JBLs or B&Ws to be even remotely worth it if you aren't a millionaire.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We added a Sonos Beam to our Bedroom TV from Costco on black friday, and I'm still :impressive: by how good it sounds by itself.

The Ikea Sonos speakers sound better than they should too IMO.

But my hodgepodge home theater (monoprice sub and surrounds, BIC America Towers, and a Klipsch center with Yamaha receiver) still surprises many (myself included).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm I'm using this setup right now in 5.1, It may seem a bit pricey from the initial glance, but they aren't and they definitely compare to speakers well above their price point.

It's all relative, that isn't bad. It looks like I'm about to get this order for $11.3K dealer cost for a home theater system.... Granted it's more than just speakers, but still. Nice studio moniors can be $20K+ apiece easily but I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors at that level.
Yeah, I know you know the market. Others, well... not so much so I wanted to clarify.

These kick the shit out of the Paradigms I had that were almost 3x the cost.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I have a Yamaha soundbar that I got a Costco, and it gets the job done very nicely and our large open concept living/kitchen/Dining
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:32 pm

I have a Yamaha soundbar that I got a Costco, and it gets the job done very nicely and our large open concept living/kitchen/Dining
+1 on the Yamaha soundbar. Mine works great in my 10x10 living room.