OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:34 pm
Nah...but turns out the friend we visited for his wedding works for one of the bigger companies there and offered to get me in. There's a surprising amount of opportunity for me there, even outside of his company.

I hate most of CA, but Santa Barbara is fantastic. Always loved it there and being out there this weekend made me miss it a bit.
Man, I would pay $50k for two jobs in SB.
It'll be a process. First step is me finding a job as the "bread winner" then the wife can start looking hard. There's quite a bit of opportunity out there from my limited research.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 pm

:wtf:

You have job offers?
Nah...but turns out the friend we visited for his wedding works for one of the bigger companies there and offered to get me in. There's a surprising amount of opportunity for me there, even outside of his company.

I hate most of CA, but Santa Barbara is fantastic. Always loved it there and being out there this weekend made me miss it a bit.
Yeah I mean... perfect weather and one of the most beautiful places in the world, all while being kind of small and off the beaten path. I think that would be 5/7, personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:41 pm

I love it how this is being held up because Republicunts didn’t put in the legislation any restrictions on executive bonuses or stock buybacks being paid for by the relief funds.
Yet I'm too rich to get a dime from the stimulus.

New middle class getting fucked again.
Is this really a bad thing? You, and I, and pretty much this entire forum don't need stimulus money. Why should we get it? Give it to hourly peeps and small business owners getting fucked, not those with healthy corporate paychecks rolling in every two weeks.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:14 am

Yeah I mean... perfect weather and one of the most beautiful places in the world, all while being kind of small and off the beaten path. I think that would be 5/7, personally.
Exactly. It's close to my ideal place.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 pm
Yet I'm too rich to get a dime from the stimulus.

New middle class getting fucked again.
Is this really a bad thing? You, and I, and pretty much this entire forum don't need stimulus money. Why should we get it? Give it to hourly peeps and small business owners getting fucked, not those with healthy corporate paychecks rolling in every two weeks.
My wife just got laid off because the fat cat company fuckers that drove the company into bankruptcy need million dollar paychecks more than she/we does. She's laid off "1 week to permanent depending on the future business climate".

My salary alone is still strong, but changes our financial situation considerably. Disposable income will be drastically reduced...maybe $0. We're the ones contributing to keeping the hourly and small business peeps going. We were making it a point to order food take out from them, we blow hundreds per month in bars/restaurants, etc and that'll be done for the foreseeable future.

It's not that I'm whining about missing out on $2k or whatever, it's that we would have used that money directly to pump up the economy. This is a super slippery slope.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 am
My wife just got laid off
:balls:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:19 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 am
My wife just got laid off
I'm just fortunate that I'm assigned to possibly the most important future product at FCA (next gen Grand Cherokee) so my jerb is safe AF and I can still accomplish all my work from home. I'd be shitting bricks if i were in a different situation.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:27 am

I'm just fortunate that I'm assigned to possibly the most important future product at FCA (next gen Grand Cherokee) so my jerb is safe AF and I can still accomplish all my work from home. I'd be shitting bricks if i were in a different situation.
Solid axle that bitch! :lol:
Also :neat: the next gen should be pretty sweet!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 am
I'm biased, but it's going to be well worth the wait.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 am

I'm biased, but it's going to be well worth the wait.
:excited: :popcorn:
Apex

Wait, the GC isn’t going three row, is it?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 am Wait, the GC isn’t going three row, is it?
There'll still be 2 rows.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sorry to hear about the wife, dude... :sad:

But glad your job is safe.

I guess one thing is... not spending money on going out certainly adds up.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Dang Chris, sorry to hear about your wife.

Would be cool if SB works out for you two after all of this. You’ve sounded like you’d want to end up there a few times in the past.
Trevor1342
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 am Also, whalecum back, Trev.

In4teslareview.
It’s all a weight of pros/cons, and what you can justify. Steering is tighter and more precise than my 340i was. Corners better as well, even on garbage all-season tires. Acceleration is ridiculous. 0-60 in somewhere around 3.5 seconds with the acceleration boost I got. The torque curve is essentially a flat line that goes straight to peak within a matter of milliseconds, and then pins it there until you finally cower out.

Autopilot/Full Self Driving works surprisingly well; it is far from perfect but deeply impressive nonetheless. Incredibly intimidating at first; auto lane changes paired with merging will make you shit a brick if you haven’t experienced this before.

If the software/UI was poor, the car would be unusable/miserable to use. Thankfully it’s new-iPhone levels of fast, quick and precise response. It’s essential considering that almost all vehicle controls sans window switches are run through that display.

Build quality is GOOD - for a vehicle worth about 25% less I’d say. It’s not poor, it’s not like the early Tesla models that have Elmer’s glue dripping from the door panels. That being said and coming from a BMW 340i, it is certainly not German. You’re going to get panel gaps. Some plastic trim pieces will be a little soft and will scratch easier than other cars, this is just what it is for now. Again, it’s more than fine for everyday use.

Overall; it feels like a toy made for adults. Spruces up my daily commute, and never fails to either put a smile on my face or make me laugh like a hyena. I’m not a Tesla fanboy that will say these are the best cars in the world, because they’re not. They’re pretty damn close, and you’re not going to find anything else on the market as truly different as this.
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor/Long Range (Acceleration Boost + FSD pack)
2018 Jetta S 1.4T - Silk Blue
SAWCE

California put on lock down last night. Sitting at my desk at work this morning like :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 am
Sorry to hear about the wife, dude... :sad:

But glad your job is safe.

I guess one thing is... not spending money on going out certainly adds up.
Wife said they're full on firing people today...there's a good chance she's out of work permanently. Goodie

Yea, not spending money on going out certainly adds up so we'll be fine on just my salary. But it really screws over the people who depend on that money. More so than $1k can fix.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am Dang Chris, sorry to hear about your wife.

Would be cool if SB works out for you two after all of this. You’ve sounded like you’d want to end up there a few times in the past.
SB is the only place in CA that interests me. It's like what CA is supposed to be and I really like it there. We'll see if things can materialize. Wife would really like to be closer to her family in OC too.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am Dang Chris, sorry to hear about your wife.

SB is the only place in CA that interests me. It's like what CA is supposed to be and I really like it there. We'll see if things can materialize. Wife would really like to be closer to her family in OC too.
Bring me up there if you do find a job! I love that area and it’s a little cheaper than SD I think.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Sorry to hear about the :tits: Big D.

I'm luckily looking OK at this point. We got "essential" status but they created a second shift as to comply with 50% workforce. So tentatively right now I'll still be coming into work 5-6 days a week, with guaranteed 3+ hrs of OT and a +10% b shift compensation. It's less than I make on a typical 50-55hr week but I'm just glad I don't actually have to check my accounts to see how much I have to live off of yet.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 am California put on lock down last night. Sitting at my desk at work this morning like :thisisfine:
Same. Still have to work :ayfkm: :bs:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am

night life in SB and Isla Vista is pretty :tits:
SAWCE

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:52 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 am California put on lock down last night. Sitting at my desk at work this morning like :thisisfine:
I don’t mind it. I’d be even more bored out of my mind at home. Happy to still be employed.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am

I don’t mind it. I’d be even more bored out of my mind at home. Happy to still be employed.
V thankful for that as well! I work from home, so this is just, even more, sitting around doing nada
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah man.

One of the other seniors on my team announced he’s retiring May 1st. And we have 2 open req’s for positions above me... I think I’m alright for the foreseeable future.