OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:04 pm Good afternoon everyone!
Good morning, Senior.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:01 pm Dunno about 90% (half of people don't even vote) but you're right that no one is going to willingly give up power.

I suspect that most people are like me in that, while I don't think either side has my interests in mind, I'm not willing to dedicate (and possibly give) my life as part of a futile crusade.

Things aren't that bad here yet and, even if they were, I'd rather go somewhere else than fight for a place I don't love anyway.
Do I detect a hint of optimism in you?

I still think that 90% believe the bullshit, no matter if they vote or not. Rarely do I run into someone like me that believes none of it and has a true disdain for politics.
Dunno about optimism. I know that I have no real power and I would rather enjoy my life as best I can than waste it trying in vain to make the world a better place for everyone else.

I suspect that most people are just going about their business and doing whatever they think is best for themselves - or at most for their family. People aren't wired to care about the big picture.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:10 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Step 1: prevent career criminals, I mean politicians. Any citizen can do the job, but only for 4 years. Then you're out with no lifetime healthcare paid by the people or other perks.
I like term limits in theory, but that system will ensure that only wealthy people run for office. Who's going to throw away 4 years of career development for no reward except for those who have already "made it" (or been bought)?

I don't know how to fix it. Money ruins every system.
:dat:
Elections should be publicly funded only. No dark money, no PACS, no Citizen's United, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:09 am
wap wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 am Should be a fun day at work today.
Pot luck followed by a Secret Santa grab bag gift exchange, followed by a white elephant gift exchange. Should get back to work around 3:00 :lol:
Already got a bottle of Spanish wine from a coworker and a coffee mug full of little rumchata covfeffe creamers from another coworker. :notbad:
I love this time of year. I want a nice coffee this morning with a 50/50 mix of booze.
:megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:01 pm Dunno about 90% (half of people don't even vote) but you're right that no one is going to willingly give up power.

I suspect that most people are like me in that, while I don't think either side has my interests in mind, I'm not willing to dedicate (and possibly give) my life as part of a futile crusade.

Things aren't that bad here yet and, even if they were, I'd rather go somewhere else than fight for a place I don't love anyway.
Do I detect a hint of optimism in you?

I still think that 90% believe the bullshit, no matter if they vote or not. Rarely do I run into someone like me that believes none of it and has a true disdain for politics.
:dat: and :hai:

I had a great argument with a conspiracy theorist Trumper about this. He called me some sort of leftist insult to which I stopped him..."hang on...it's all bullshit...The left, the right...I hate it all man. It all needs to go."

He paused, then kept on about how Trump is the savior, but the attacks on me stopped because he realized that I don't care. I was then labeled a "nihilist", which isn't 100% inaccurate.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:10 am I like term limits in theory, but that system will ensure that only wealthy people run for office. Who's going to throw away 4 years of career development for no reward except for those who have already "made it" (or been bought)?

I don't know how to fix it. Money ruins every system.
Elections should be publicly funded only. No dark money, no PACS, no Citizen's United, etc.
XX number of candidates, each gets the same amount to campaign. May the best one win.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:22 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:19 pm

XX number of candidates, each gets the same amount to campaign. May the best one win.
Exactly.
Plus, I like how it's done in a lot of European countries. Election season is just something like a month or 2 ONLY. Zero campaigning, TV ads, mailings, etc until so many weeks before election day, which is usually on a weekend, iirc.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Exactly.
Plus, I like how it's done in a lot of European countries. Election season is just something like a month or 2 ONLY. Zero campaigning, TV ads, mailings, etc until so many weeks before election day, which is usually on a weekend, iirc.
How it should be IMO.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

fucking Amazon just shipped shit I ordered Monday. supposed to be secret Santa gifts for Mississippi trip. fawk
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

:howdy:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:01 pm :howdy:

Funny, but they have a good thing going. Most of their fanbase actually buys music, unlike other genres today. Darius Rucker supposedly is making much more now than he ever did, and I can't remember the last time I heard one of his songs. All in an industry that "isn't making money", at least not like the old days.

:notbad:

I like some country, especially when seeing live bands in bars in Nashville. Not so much in the car..
troyguitar

Country is the only popular genre left with musicians who play real instruments and fans who go to shows and buy records. All of the old rockers who are smart have switched to country. Hell the crossover has been happening to a certain extent since Skynyrd and the Eagles.

I still don't like it but I can't blame them. Guys like Paisley, Urban, etc. are super talented even if I hate their music! Same with Mariah Carey and a lot of other R&B singers.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Acid666 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:09 am Well he finally earned the popular vote.
*golfclap*

Too bad nothings really going to come of it tho.
umm where's the fluid cannon?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 pm Country is the only popular genre left with musicians who play real instruments and fans who go to shows and buy records. All of the old rockers who are smart have switched to country. Hell the crossover has been happening to a certain extent since Skynyrd and the Eagles.

I still don't like it but I can't blame them. Guys like Paisley, Urban, etc. are super talented even if I hate their music! Same with Mariah Carey and a lot of other R&B singers.
Been to a good ole death metal show recently?
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 pm Country is the only popular genre left with musicians who play real instruments and fans who go to shows and buy records. All of the old rockers who are smart have switched to country. Hell the crossover has been happening to a certain extent since Skynyrd and the Eagles.

Nope, haven't heard it on the radio either.

Metal is probably second to country, followed by jazz and classical, but they're all tiny in comparison in the USA. Metal is big in ROW :doe: for sure... It's another reason why I want to move to Europe.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:00 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Nope, haven't heard it on the radio either.

Metal is probably second to country, followed by jazz and classical, but they're all tiny in comparison in the USA. Metal is big in ROW :doe: for sure... It's another reason why I want to move to Europe.
I venture out a bit. Been getting heavy into some Dimmu Borgir. They bad ass symphonic black metal.
Sometimes I get my country rebel J. Cash groove on.
Colter Wall is the flavor of the month right now for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCebq5lLgos
troyguitar

I like a lot of the metal stuff but it's just not popular in this country outside of a few more poppy bands like A7X or whomever. Personally I hate the screaming/growling vocals and I think that the general public has the same issue.

I can still appreciate something like Arch Enemy for the instrumental bits even though I hate the vocals. The rest of my family? They say to turn that shit off.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm I like a lot of the metal stuff but it's just not popular in this country outside of a few more poppy bands like A7X or whomever. Personally I hate the screaming/growling vocals and I think that the general public has the same issue.

I can still appreciate something like Arch Enemy for the instrumental bits even though I hate the vocals. The rest of my family? They say to turn that shit off.
It's pretty much always going to be "music for musicians". Especially those who need more and more. More aggression, more technicality. And it's why the sub-genres of it are so toxic to sub-genres
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm I like a lot of the metal stuff but it's just not popular in this country outside of a few more poppy bands like A7X or whomever. Personally I hate the screaming/growling vocals and I think that the general public has the same issue.

It's pretty much always going to be "music for musicians". Especially those who need more and more. More aggression, more technicality. And it's why the sub-genres of it are so toxic to sub-genres
:word:

Speaking of that, I've been out of the loop on new music for awhile but this is one of the newest albums that I love that no one has ever heard of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6Dm42zSec

Super badass composition, and yeah definitely music for musicians.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I could probably get into some of Troy’s metal bands, but I’ve never really tried to listen to it. I like my screamed vocals in hardcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore though.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hey
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 pmHey
Yo!
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:I could probably get into some of Troy’s metal bands, but I’ve never really tried to listen to it. I like my screamed vocals in hardcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore though.
I really only tolerate that stuff when the rest of the band is great. 99% of the stuff I listen to is "gay" clean happy vocals about self-empowerment and slaying dragons and stuff - that's just not popular with today's metal fans :doe: and hasn't been for 20 years. Most people are into the screaming angry songs.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 pm I could probably get into some of Troy’s metal bands, but I’ve never really tried to listen to it. I like my screamed vocals in hardcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore though.
You might be into my guy’s band. I think they’re pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/ADjuORmv_vA
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:44 pm
SAWCE wrote:I could probably get into some of Troy’s metal bands, but I’ve never really tried to listen to it. I like my screamed vocals in hardcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore though.
I really only tolerate that stuff when the rest of the band is great. 99% of the stuff I listen to is "gay" clean happy vocals about self-empowerment and slaying dragons and stuff - that's just not popular with today's metal fans :doe: and hasn't been for 20 years. Most people are into the screaming angry songs.
Yeah the angry stuff gets me going, especially for the gym. But a good amount of hardcore is actually pretty good lyrically and more introspective and uplifting than people would expect. It’s kind of a juxtaposition with the angry sound, which I enjoy. You’re right that the hardcore bands usually aren’t super technical/good at their instruments though. Lots of basic power chords and simple rhythms. You may enjoy some of the more “melodic hardcore” bands, but even they are far less technical than the stuff you enjoy.

Most of my music is actually more pop-punk with the gay clean vocals. Lots of angsty teenage love songs. New Found Glory is probably one of my most listened to bands.