OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

haleyann wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm Today is the day. Theodore is going to his new home :(
RIP. That was a nice car. 5 cyl right? The engine I should have bought instead of the GTI.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:57 pm Question for frequent business travelers....

Do you guys bring anything special with you on trips? I'm going to be bored out of my fucking mind for 2 weeks staying at a Best Western with a shared car with my boss that I probably won't be able to take anywhere on my own. Suggestions on things to bring?

I finally downloaded all my audio off my busted MacBook, and I'm bringing it with me.
Maybe bring a bluetooth speaker?
Wondering if a TV stick thing makes sense for Prime video / Netflix.
Pics of wife and doggie.

Anything else you'd recommend to make a shitty hotel feel more like home?
When I went to San Antonio for two weeks at a time I didn’t bring much. I did have my own rental car which was 5/7 tits
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

haleyann wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm Today is the day. Theodore is going to his new home :(
Going to "a farm out in the country"? :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Question for frequent business travelers....

Do you guys bring anything special with you on trips? I'm going to be bored out of my fucking mind for 2 weeks staying at a Best Western with a shared car with my boss that I probably won't be able to take anywhere on my own. Suggestions on things to bring?

I finally downloaded all my audio off my busted MacBook, and I'm bringing it with me.
Pics of wife and doggie.

Workout gear and/or musical instruments
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:57 pm Question for frequent business travelers....

Pics of wife and doggie.

Not having your own car shouldn’t be too big a deal with uber and Lyft. My one buddy that travels a lot for work brings his jail broken fire stick and watches stuff on that. We both like the gym, so we’ll map out a few gyms in the area we’re visiting and check those out, but that probably doesn’t apply to or interest you.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Pics of wife and doggie.

NSFW

n
s
f
w
n
s
f
w
N
S
F
W
N
S
F
W
n
s
f
w
n
s
f
w
N
S
F
W
N
S
F
W

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Pics of wife and doggie.

I always bring my NVIDIA Shield and hope for a TV that has HDMI. Sometimes that's a bust though if their TV is locked down.
Otherwise, I'd try to get out as much as possible instead of sitting in the room.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Question for frequent business travelers....

Pics of wife and doggie.

Workout gear and/or musical instruments
Yeah I'm for sure going to bring my running shoes even though I hate running. Maybe they'll have an exercise bike I can use.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Pics of wife and doggie.

I always bring my NVIDIA Shield and hope for a TV that has HDMI. Sometimes that's a bust though if their TV is locked down.
Otherwise, I'd try to get out as much as possible instead of sitting in the room.
Yeah, if this is a constant thing, I'll invest in a quick plug in type device like a Shield or Roku or whatever stick thingy to watch Netflix and Prime. Shield plays games though so that's better I guess.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:46 pm

Pics of wife and doggie.

Not having your own car shouldn’t be too big a deal with uber and Lyft. My one buddy that travels a lot for work brings his jail broken fire stick and watches stuff on that. We both like the gym, so we’ll map out a few gyms in the area we’re visiting and check those out, but that probably doesn’t apply to or interest you.
You gave me an idea. Yoga mat. I'll see if I can wedge it in my bag.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:46 pm Not having your own car shouldn’t be too big a deal with uber and Lyft. My one buddy that travels a lot for work brings his jail broken fire stick and watches stuff on that. We both like the gym, so we’ll map out a few gyms in the area we’re visiting and check those out, but that probably doesn’t apply to or interest you.
Buy one there, leave it in the room when you're done. :wasteful:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Buy one there, leave it in the room when you're done. :wasteful:
That's not a bad idea if I can't fit it in the bag. There's a Champs Sports and an Academy nearby.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Fire sticks (or a similar small easy to pack and install thing) are game changing for travel IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:46 pm

:fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Pics of wife and doggie.

Back when I did it alot, I was a book worm. Hotel internet is typically shit or blocks streaming.

Depends on what you like. Id que up on books, music maybe some movies. I'd always hit the gym at hotel too since you almost have to eat like a dumpster when traveling
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Pics of wife and doggie.

NSFW

n
s
f
w
n
s
f
w
N
S
F
W
N
S
F
W
n
s
f
w
n
s
f
w
N
S
F
W
N
S
F
W

:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Pics of wife and doggie.

Back when I did it alot, I was a book worm. Hotel internet is typically shit or blocks streaming.

Depends on what you like. Id que up on books, music maybe some movies. I'd always hit the gym at hotel too since you almost have to eat like a dumpster when traveling
If we were staying in the city center this would be much more palatable. But we are staying on the outskirts in urban sprawl suburbia.

Our places have kitchenettes but apparently we will dine on the company card for every meal except breakfast which is included in the $60/night hotel charge.

:fancy:

I’m gonna need one of the big bottles of whisky. Hotel doesn’t have a bar or restaurant or anything. Pool doe.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:54 pm Fire sticks (or a similar small easy to pack and install thing) are game changing for travel IMO.
Yeah. Although the shield with games sounds even better. But it’s the size of a textbook all in vs a pack of gum.

I can always watch prime on my computer :iono:

Work laptop has a HDMI port so maybe just bring the cable. Still bringing my chrome book though. I don’t like doing personal things on the work computer which I have no idea what it’s tracking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:22 pm

If we were staying in the city center this would be much more palatable. But we are staying on the outskirts in urban sprawl suburbia.

Our places have kitchenettes but apparently we will dine on the company card for every meal except breakfast which is included in the $60/night hotel charge.

I’m gonna need one of the big bottles of whisky. Hotel doesn’t have a bar or restaurant or anything. Pool doe.
Jesus Christ man, Best Western? :wtf: :scrooge:

I have been there... a lot. I always had Bang Bus access but it wasn't exactly palatable to drive that around in my off time. I kept a guitar in the bus for a lot of the time so I had that, but mostly just reading, walking, running, and going to the local YMCA. Once thing I loved doing was taking a Lyft to downtown or a cool neighborhood and walking around for a few hours in the evenings, finding somewhere interesting to try for dinner.

Do you have to dine with the boss every night for two weeks? That can get old, sometimes it's great to just get some GrubHub Indian food or something and veg out in the hotel room streaming some TV or reading. I normally would just stream TV on my laptop if doing that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am I like Best Buy because I can see/feel items in person that they usually sell for cheaper elsewhere. But, Best Buy is also great at price matching amazon (as long as it’s sold and shipped by amazon).
I don't tech. I used to use Best Buy on occasion when I was on the road and needed something to make a demo happen, overpriced HDMI cables or the like.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:15 pm

I have been there... a lot. I always had Bang Bus access but it wasn't exactly palatable to drive that around in my off time. I kept a guitar in the bus for a lot of the time so I had that, but mostly just reading, walking, running, and going to the local YMCA. Once thing I loved doing was taking a Lyft to downtown or a cool neighborhood and walking around for a few hours in the evenings, finding somewhere interesting to try for dinner.

Do you have to dine with the boss every night for two weeks? That can get old, sometimes it's great to just get some GrubHub Indian food or something and veg out in the hotel room streaming some TV or reading. I normally would just stream TV on my laptop if doing that.
I have no idea if I'll be with the boss every night. That's what we did last time but that was only 4 days so :iono:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm

I have no idea if I'll be with the boss every night. That's what we did last time but that was only 4 days so :iono:
Buy a bike bag and fly the bike out?

American only charges for a standard carry on now.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm

That has crossed my mind. There aren’t really any trails out there and the roads are all high speed no shoulder curbed concrete jawns. So even the CX bike would be a death wish.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm

That has crossed my mind. There aren’t really any trails out there and the roads are all high speed no shoulder curbed concrete jawns. So even the CX bike would be a death wish.
Houston is fucking terrible.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Houston is fucking terrible.
Strip mall after strip mall. No infrastructure for pedestrians except for the rogue crosswalk to nowhere at a highway interchange. Every road is concrete with curbs and only wide enough for vehicles, no shoulders at all. It's not really my jam.

There might be some reasonable biking roads in the area, I'd have to explore a bit. But my guess is this isn't an area you ride by yourself. You'd have to ride with a group and take the whole lane to be remotely safe.