Are you better off financially than before?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!

Are you better off financially than in 2014?

Yes, 1-10%
No votes
Yes, 11-20%
No votes
Yes, 21-30%
9%
Yes 31%+
68%
No, same
No votes
Worse
23%

Total votes: 22
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:27 pm
MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm Yeah, I'm not really sure what this poll is getting at? 2014 was 5 years ago. 31% in 5 years equates to roughly a 6% per year? Basically 3%/year plus a promotion or two and you're there in 5 years.

Regardless of how the economy is doing, AGI should climb. If this is getting at how the economy is doing, I would say something like net worth delta over that time frame measured against the S&P500 or something minus inflation.
And what would that get you ?

There is a constant bitching on this forum how everyone is worse off than before.
Just curious where the money lies.
The answer is more complex than "how much more do you make now". The problem is purchasing power in the face of inflation that seems to be increasing faster than the .gov indicates.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:27 pm

And what would that get you ?

There is a constant bitching on this forum how everyone is worse off than before.
Just curious where the money lies.
A more accurate measure of how people are doing financially?

Sounds like you want to prove a point and made a poll that doesn't really get you there. :iono:
:rolleyes: ok lets continue crying about being poor then. Carry on.

Personal income vs public company performance is utterly pointless as well.

If you want to net out 2% a year inflation (compounded) vs your income in 2014 that’s a 10% reduction to your agi.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Sounds like you want to prove a point and made a poll that doesn't really get you there. :iono:
:rolleyes: ok lets continue crying about being poor then. Carry on
:bruh: we're all poor because there is always someone else with moar.
max225

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm

:rolleyes: ok lets continue crying about being poor then. Carry on
:bruh: we're all poor because there is always someone else with moar.
:dat: oh look :waxer: bought a Porsche :rage: “I’m poor, fuck you !”

I blame :thanksobama: and :thankstrump:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

If you want to net out 2% a year inflation (compounded) vs your income in 2014 that’s a 10% reduction to your agi.
Who's crying about being poor? Not me, I just got here :hai:

Personal income vs company performance is a meaningful metric. You need to adjust your expectations for how everyone is doing against the market. Throwing all your wealth in an index fund and doing nothing for 6 years and looking at the results and saying you somehow did great is not a meaningful data point. If the poll is meant to measure the success of this forum against the general population, normalizing against how the market is doing in general seems important.

I'm not sure what point you're making with the inflation?
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Personal income vs company performance is a meaningful metric. You need to adjust your expectations for how everyone is doing against the market. Throwing all your wealth in an index fund and doing nothing for 6 years and looking at the results and saying you somehow did great is not a meaningful data point. If the poll is meant to measure the success of this forum against the general population, normalizing against how the market is doing in general seems important.

You are a fantastic addition to DFD, my friend. You fit in perfectly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

That's the entire point my friend. Just because you haven't achieved the same return as the SP500 doesn't mean you're doing bad.

The point is your purchasing power went up for the most part as long as it is above the inflation I posted above.
Those are the facts for the country, individual issues don't matter you will never have everyone be happy.

This entire thread was to point out that the majority of us are doing better than not to long ago. And that holds true in this country and even in this tiny ecosystem of us here, shooting the shit. And yes there are people doing worse out there and in here, but most are doing better.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Not really. Any decent :haus: is $10k+ per year in property taxes alone and they don't appreciate at all. Most houses are selling for about the same today as they did in 2004, in absolute dollars not counting for inflation.

Compare that to... almost anywhere else in the world and we'd be better off to be there. Maybe NYC itself would be worse at the same income?
Ignoring housing, $160k gross anywhere outside of the pay area and NYC is pretty fantastic. You could live like a king in Michigan on that...which you're aware of I'm sure. Not trying to rub salt in the wound of shitty Corning, but you're doing alright dude.
So you live like what, a Holy Roman Emperor?

This income doesn't even get us a garage or air conditioning, let alone a :haus: that generates income vs taxing us to fucking hell. We would need at least $200k for this place to not suck, really more like $250k because taxes.

I know we're :wrong: to actually want to retire though... If we didn't save anything then we could indeed have a pretty good life.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I much better off now than I was a year or even 6 months ago. 32% pay increase by switching companies. Lowered my rent from $1500/month to $1150, but call that $1250 with utilities. Lowered my fuel bill due to the shorter commute, which also gives me back an hour of “my time” every day that I’m not sitting in traffic.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 pm

That's the entire point my friend. Just because you haven't achieved the same return as the SP500 doesn't mean you're doing bad.

The point is your purchasing power went up for the most part as long as it is above the inflation I posted above.
Those are the facts for the country, individual issues don't matter you will never have everyone be happy.

This entire thread was to point out that the majority of us are doing better than not to long ago. And that holds true in this country and even in this tiny ecosystem of us here, shooting the shit. And yes there are people doing worse out there and in here, but most are doing better.
So the whole point of the thread was to show that people's income is increasing over a 5 year span, as everyone advances in their career? As long as we aren't in a meltdown financial scenario, this will almost always be true. That's not what people use as their metric of whether they're doing better or not at all though. They're going to judge how they're doing vs how well they think they should be doing.

Purchasing power is not strictly equal to inflation. It varies widely depending on which commodity you're talking about. In terms of whether the country is doing well or not, a lot of that is going to depend on how individual's purchasing power has fluctuated in things the government has gotten involved with and how they view it. The individual issues 100% matter. That's what makes people happy or not.

I guess I just don't understand the thread. You've taken a massively complex issue, boiled it down to a single poll that will show an already accepted fact (that people's income mostly increases over time) and try to use it to explain away something totally different?

You're just yellin at clouds man. :scoot:
max225

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm

:whalecum: to DFD :bruh:

We're all yelling at clouds or eachother. :sissyfight:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm

:notwrong:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

:notwrong:
You sir, fit in perfectly.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Ignoring housing, $160k gross anywhere outside of the pay area and NYC is pretty fantastic. You could live like a king in Michigan on that...which you're aware of I'm sure. Not trying to rub salt in the wound of shitty Corning, but you're doing alright dude.

This income doesn't even get us a garage or air conditioning, let alone a :haus: that generates income vs taxing us to fucking hell. We would need at least $200k for this place to not suck, really more like $250k because taxes.

I know we're :wrong: to actually want to retire though... If we didn't save anything then we could indeed have a pretty good life.
No kids ever put us way further toward retirement. You're in the same boat re: kids...you just chose to put way more away in savings, and that's fine...that's your choice. There's no right or wrong in your personal finances unless you're WAY in debt buying dumb shit you can't afford. That's not you.

You're getting fucked by your location, no doubt. Real estate is stupid there. But values are starting to plateau here, and the phenomenal gains are decreasing. I don't view a house as an investment...because it's not in most areas outside of the Pay Area which is COMPLETELY unsustainable. In the long run, a house is no better financially than renting, other than being able to pay it off and live rent-free...which makes retiring easier. That's why we pay extra toward our mortgage with the goal of having the house paid off in 15-20 years.
ChrisoftheNorth

So the whole point of the thread was to show that people's income is increasing over a 5 year span, as everyone advances in their career? As long as we aren't in a meltdown financial scenario, this will almost always be true. That's not what people use as their metric of whether they're doing better or not at all though. They're going to judge how they're doing vs how well they think they should be doing.

Purchasing power is not strictly equal to inflation. It varies widely depending on which commodity you're talking about. In terms of whether the country is doing well or not, a lot of that is going to depend on how individual's purchasing power has fluctuated in things the government has gotten involved with and how they view it. The individual issues 100% matter. That's what makes people happy or not.

I guess I just don't understand the thread. You've taken a massively complex issue, boiled it down to a single poll that will show an already accepted fact (that people's income mostly increases over time) and try to use it to explain away something totally different?

Love this guy.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Ignoring housing, $160k gross anywhere outside of the pay area and NYC is pretty fantastic. You could live like a king in Michigan on that...which you're aware of I'm sure. Not trying to rub salt in the wound of shitty Corning, but you're doing alright dude.

Income and Salaries for Corning (zip 14830)
- The average income of a Corning (zip 14830) resident is $30,880 a year. The US average is $28,555 a year.
- The Median household income of a Corning (zip 14830) resident is $52,693 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year.
3x the median income and full on :rage: :eeyore:

:amazing:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm So you live like what, a Holy Roman Emperor?

Income and Salaries for Corning (zip 14830)
- The average income of a Corning (zip 14830) resident is $30,880 a year. The US average is $28,555 a year.
- The Median household income of a Corning (zip 14830) resident is $52,693 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year.

:dat:

I don't understand how actual poor people live. 2x minimum wage earners renting an $800/mo shithole and walking to the dollar store, I guess? :disgust:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 pm
max225 wrote:

:dat:

I don't understand how actual poor people live. 2x minimum wage earners renting an $800/mo shithole and walking to the dollar store, I guess? :disgust:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 69?view=qv

You should be able to buy this cash, :whocares: if it doesn't appreciate... 1/2 acre lot 3 bed 1 bath perfect for 2 :derp: s you'd have to pay 10x that here for something similar, yes it may or may not appreciate but does it matter? You'd have a 10k a month mortgage after spending 3 times the amount you paid for that house on a the downpayment alone.

You gotta look on the bright side man.

I am flying out to Austin in 2 weeks because I want to see if I can get out of this housing madness.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

We are all :wrong:

:triggered:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 pm :dat:

You should be able to buy this cash, :whocares: if it doesn't appreciate... 1/2 acre lot 3 bed 1 bath perfect for 2 :derp: s you'd have to pay 10x that here for something similar, yes it may or may not appreciate but does it matter? You'd have a 10k a month mortgage after spending 3 times the amount you paid for that house on a the downpayment alone.

I am flying out to Austin in 2 weeks because I want to see if I can get out of this housing madness.
$7000 per year in taxes, $5000 to have our shit moved again, at least $10000 to add AC and do minor things, $15000 in closing costs when we hopefully sell it next year... $37000 plus all of the mortgage interest blown in one year. All to live in a shitbox.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 pm :dat:

Austin’s housing is on the come up.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

So I'm definitely worse off.

Not for long :doe:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:34 pm
max225 wrote: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 69?view=qv

$7000 per year in taxes, $5000 to have our shit moved again, at least $10000 to add AC and do minor things, $15000 in closing costs when we hopefully sell it next year... $37000 plus all of the mortgage interest blown in one year. All to live in a shitbox.
Better than spending 10x that on a downpayment. That's a solid 4 years of work after tax for ya'll if you didn't spend a penny and saved everything. And possibility of losing it all since spending 1M+ on a house is :fullretard:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:34 pm $7000 per year in taxes, $5000 to have our shit moved again, at least $10000 to add AC and do minor things, $15000 in closing costs when we hopefully sell it next year... $37000 plus all of the mortgage interest blown in one year. All to live in a shitbox.
Better than spending 10x that on a downpayment. That's a solid 4 years of work after tax for ya'll if you didn't spend a penny and saved everything. And possibility of losing it all since spending 1M+ on a house is :fullretard:
I'm over a million in real estate, and planning on adding another two or three hundred thousand. Area is everything, but yes it's all :fullretard: . I am :aintcare: since inflation is stupid and will remain that way or get worse.