Cell phone / wireless discussion & deals

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I am big proponent of buying used....but it seems Wally World is selling new Galaxy S8s for $299...... and S9's for $399. I might look into this.....

Turboedit.... It seems this a prepaid only deal through Straight Talk..... :nevermind:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
Irish

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
:nice: I am still rocking the S5 ZFG ..... recently cracked the screen but I have a back up S5 that was my daughters......debating whether to go with something with a bigger screen :doe:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm I am big proponent of buying used....but it seems Wally World is selling new Galaxy S8s for $299...... and S9's for $399. I might look into this.....

Turboedit.... It seems this a prepaid only deal through Straight Talk..... :nevermind:
Dude for that money get a pixel 3a. Mine has been phenomenal
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
I budgeted like 65 for the 25 a month per line bill for the 2 of us. Taxes and shit right?
New bill.. 58.88

:fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:01 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
:nice: I am still rocking the S5 ZFG ..... recently cracked the screen but I have a back up S5 that was my daughters......debating whether to go with something with a bigger screen :doe:
I personally don't really like the bigger screen of the 8+. I don't hate it, but the tallness of it kinda irks me at the wrong times. Getting it out of my pocket while driving sucks. Using it with one hand is no fun. This is really just a first world problem since it's the only real quirk I have with it. I was totally happy with my beat up S5. When I realized that I really only used it for a handful of things then I learned to just put up with the slowness and shit. Plus I could ignore the wife's 7 in a row texts and just say my phone sucks, I didn't get those back to back to back to back messages hun.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish

I have scheduling software that would benefit from a bigger screen .... but your size gripes have alot of merit with me..... plus I use my phone as GPS and I don't really want to have to go with a different holder..... so will prob just transfer the card over to the other S5.....and run it until it runs so slow I go back in time.....
Acid666

wap wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:22 pm
Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
wap

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 pm

All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:12 pm Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
I budgeted like 65 for the 25 a month per line bill for the 2 of us. Taxes and shit right?
New bill.. 58.88

Is there a promo period for that bill?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:16 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:12 pm Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
New bill.. 58.88

Nope
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:16 am
Nope
Oh wow. That's fantastic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

AT&T coverage is crap compared to Verizon. Slower too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm AT&T coverage is crap compared to Verizon. Slower too.
Yea, my work phone is AT&T and it blows compared to my old Verizon phones or even Google Fi.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 am I recently got myself the OnePlus 7 Pro, switched over from iPhone. The phone itself is gorgeous I got it in nebula blue, and the display is insanely awesome. However, its still running on android, and its kinda glitchy. Maybe because I got too used to use my iPhone I have to get fully used to android. They boasted about the three camera set up with a 48 megapixel main camera. Not as good as my iPhone 7 plus though, they have lots of work to still do in their camera dept.

In terms of service, I used to love T-Mobile. It was inexpensive, and anytime I had an issue I always got excellent service. Now their towers are so congested at times my phone loses signal and or data. When I go to call Tmo, now I get an overseas call center. I had to complain over and over again because I wasn't getting signal at my own home. They wanted me to pay for the signal booster, I told them no. Back and forth they finally sent me their home signal booster, service is a bit better but still annoying. I know T-Mobile does "test drives" where they send you an iPhone and two weeks to try the service, might be something to look into if any of you are looking to try a new carrier.
Latest and greatest pixel will always have the best cameras.
The pixel is such an ugly phone though.
Irish

I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Acid666

Irish wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Not really much to give. The shit was automatic and I barely did anything.
Irish

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Not really much to give. The shit was automatic and I barely did anything.
:ohdang: I will just switch the SIM card and see what happens then
wap

Same here, except old phone has a micro sim card and new phone has a nano sim so I'm :notsure: how the pimply teenager in the Verizon store will handle it.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Ordered a 11 Pro (stupid name) earlier today but I stalled for a few hours so it was no longer available at my nearby store.

I couldn’t care less about actually having it on the release date, but there’s not even an option to pick one up at a given store at a later date?
Has to be unlocked so Best Buy isn’t an option.
Irish

wap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Same here, except old phone has a micro sim card and new phone has a nano sim so I'm :notsure: how the pimply teenager in the Verizon store will handle it.
I had to go through this just after x mas If the AT&T store is any benchmark, It's likely gonna cost you $5-10 and about 30-60 minutes of your time
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:23 pm
wap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I had to go through this just after x mas If the AT&T store is any benchmark, It's likely gonna cost you $5-10 and about 30-60 minutes of your time
That doesn't sound so terrible. I'll find out tomorrow at the Verizon store.