Personal Finance

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:57 am

I don’t remember if this math ended up being accurate or not, but iirc if you make a double payment on your first payment of a 30 year mortgage it shaves almost two years of payments off because of all the interest saved over time after that.

Two years is probably an exaggeration, but I think it’s still a significant savings over time.

Edit: lol just checked an amortization schedule and it shaved off like 4 months. Not the two years I’d heard however long ago, but still :neat: to see the savings.
We've been paying an extra $100 toward principle/mo and are on track to make 1 extra payments per year. We've paid half the one extra so far, and after 10 months, we've already shaved 6 mos and $7k of interest over the life of the mortgage. Pretty amazing.

We setup biweekly payments...so a payment every other week. It lines up with :tits: pay schedule, so it's easy to manage, and ends up with the extra annual payment automatically. Works really well, and should cut our loan down by ~5 years or so. Hope to increase the additional to principle soon to really cut the life and interest down.
:dat:

That extra payment a year usually cuts down 5-7 years of a 30 year note.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

In terms of Banking, I have Chase and Discover Bank. Chase because it has an actual location literally everywhere in NJ. Then Discover is my primary, good savings rate compared to the big banks and 1% cash back on all debit purchases.