Personal Finance

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:50 am All B&M banks blow, pick the one with the most geographic locations. BoA or Chase IMO.
:dat:

I keep a BofA CC so I can use services like notaries free when needed, but fuck BofA (they’re even based in my town but still fuck ‘em ).

I use NBKC, it’s great. All atm fees are reimbursed and checking still pays interest of like 1%. Pair that with a high yield online savings and you’re good.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono:

Fiancée and I ate at 🌮🛎 Friday for like $7.90 out the door for two people! Not happening at a sit down.. just the tip ( :hue: ) is pretty much that :wasteful:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 am :iono:

Fiancée and I ate at 🌮🛎 Friday for like $7.90 out the door for two people! Not happening at a sit down.. just the tip ( :hue: ) is pretty much that :wasteful:
im guessing the $5 box and a non combo meal.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:34 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 am :iono:

She had a crunch wrap supreme and I got three $1 things, skipped the soda this time. Dat ultimate :scrooge:

If you just get a standard combo it pretty pricey.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah I always skip the soda when I go to fast food. Save your wallet and keep the beetus at bay. Nobody needs to suck down 150g of sugar.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:34 am

She had a crunch wrap supreme and I got three $1 things, skipped the soda this time. Dat ultimate :scrooge:

If you just get a standard combo it pretty pricey.
yep, standard combo are usually like $6.50 at minimum. $5 boxes stayed exactly the same for years.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Bringing this back to ask the question.....
Since the fed just decided to lower interest rates a lil bit, anyone know offhand if it's worth it to look into refinancing their house? I haven't dug into it at all yet, but I just was wondering if anyone actually knows anything about it and what it's going to affect. Currently I'm at 4.25%, and it was about as low as I could get 5 years ago when I purchased. I read (a few years ago) that it's not really worth it unless you can get it down nearly an entire percentage point.

Any thoughts?
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:53 am Bringing this back to ask the question.....
Since the fed just decided to lower interest rates a lil bit, anyone know offhand if it's worth it to look into refinancing their house? I haven't dug into it at all yet, but I just was wondering if anyone actually knows anything about it and what it's going to affect. Currently I'm at 4.25%, and it was about as low as I could get 5 years ago when I purchased. I read (a few years ago) that it's not really worth it unless you can get it down nearly an entire percentage point.

Any thoughts?
I always heard that its costs about a point to refi....so unless the rates go down by 1.25% or better then it's just a wash. Been a long time since I looked into it though.
Irish

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Irish wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:20 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:53 am Bringing this back to ask the question.....

Any thoughts?
I always heard that its costs about a point to refi....so unless the rates go down by 1.25% or better then it's just a wash. Been a long time since I looked into it though.

You will lose out on the fees as well. Plus reseting the clock. I'd only refi if you could drop 1.5% OR are switching to a 15 year AT a lower rate.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:20 pm

You will lose out on the fees as well. Plus reseting the clock. I'd only refi if you could drop 1.5% OR are switching to a 15 year AT a lower rate.
Yeah it doesn't look like it's really worth it for me. I did the math on swapping to a 15 year and while overall it would be cheaper, I'm better off just paying that extra into a 30 year loan and being able to have the option to not have to pay so much for the 15 year loan that I'm locked into.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah it doesn't look like it's really worth it for me. I did the math on swapping to a 15 year and while overall it would be cheaper, I'm better off just paying that extra into a 30 year loan and being able to have the option to not have to pay so much for the 15 year loan that I'm locked into.
That is usually the case.
Irish

You need to use a calculator on how much interest you will save by shortening to a 15 year loan. It will be significant even at a similar interest rate. Todays lower rate will be icing on the cake.

Round numbers (with amortization)
300,000 x 4.0%
for 30 Years = $215,609 interest paid over the life of the loan
For 15 Years = $99,431 interest paid over the life of the loan

$116,000 saved taking a 15 year versus 30 year mortgage at the same rate.

PS We all say that we will just throw money at the mortgage when we can....but most of us never do.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

That's the typical case unless you are looking at 3+ points. This is just the first cut, we are on our way back to zero. When prime rates get to zero a 15 year might only be 2%, and at that point you could switch and roll in fees and end up with nearly the same note.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:24 pm

That's the typical case unless you are looking at 3+ points. This is just the first cut, we are on our way back to zero. When prime rates get to zero a 15 year might only be 2%, and at that point you could switch and roll in fees and end up with nearly the same note.
:dat: is a scenario on a 2 year outlook.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

If rates even get to 3.5% I could be a player.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/re ... ce-savings
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I always go for the longest term rate at the lowest percent interest and over pay as hard as possible.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:07 pm I always go for the longest term rate at the lowest percent interest and over pay as hard as possible.
This is the way to do it IMO.

Get a 30, pay like it's a 15. If :nuke: happens, you can easily drop back down to the 30 payment and be fine.

We've been overpaying our mortgage every month, it's amazing how little it takes to make a big difference in total interest...especially early in the mortgage.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:07 pm I always go for the longest term rate at the lowest percent interest and over pay as hard as possible.

Get a 30, pay like it's a 15. If :nuke: happens, you can easily drop back down to the 30 payment and be fine.

We've been overpaying our mortgage every month, it's amazing how little it takes to make a big difference in total interest...especially early in the mortgage.
I don’t remember if this math ended up being accurate or not, but iirc if you make a double payment on your first payment of a 30 year mortgage it shaves almost two years of payments off because of all the interest saved over time after that.

Two years is probably an exaggeration, but I think it’s still a significant savings over time.

Edit: lol just checked an amortization schedule and it shaved off like 4 months. Not the two years I’d heard however long ago, but still :neat: to see the savings.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am This is the way to do it IMO.

I don’t remember if this math ended up being accurate or not, but iirc if you make a double payment on your first payment of a 30 year mortgage it shaves almost two years of payments off because of all the interest saved over time after that.

Two years is probably an exaggeration, but I think it’s still a significant savings over time.

Edit: lol just checked an amortization schedule and it shaved off like 4 months. Not the two years I’d heard however long ago, but still :neat: to see the savings.
Interest rates used to be a LOT higher, try the same calculation with the old near 20% rates.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am
SAWCE wrote:

Interest rates used to be a LOT higher, try the same calculation with the old near 20% rates.
True.. though to be fair it was probably 10 or so years ago that I’d heard that. But maybe that person got their info from way back then. :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

As rates fell last time around (up here in 2010-2013 at least), I paid even more aggressively. Just keep dumping money into the mortgage, it's the best thing anyone can do.

I'm still selling my house, had two solid interested potential buyers but they are starting to dwindle. We are dropping 20k from the price later this afternoon to stir up the buying pool. Still have some room for negotiations which will happen. :amir:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

At least all the repairs are in order, so stressed. I'm a :derp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:57 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am

We've been paying an extra $100 toward principle/mo and are on track to make 1 extra payments per year. We've paid half the one extra so far, and after 10 months, we've already shaved 6 mos and $7k of interest over the life of the mortgage. Pretty amazing.

We setup biweekly payments...so a payment every other week. It lines up with :tits: pay schedule, so it's easy to manage, and ends up with the extra annual payment automatically. Works really well, and should cut our loan down by ~5 years or so. Hope to increase the additional to principle soon to really cut the life and interest down.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:57 am

We've been paying an extra $100 toward principle/mo and are on track to make 1 extra payments per year. We've paid half the one extra so far, and after 10 months, we've already shaved 6 mos and $7k of interest over the life of the mortgage. Pretty amazing.

We setup biweekly payments...so a payment every other week. It lines up with :tits: pay schedule, so it's easy to manage, and ends up with the extra annual payment automatically. Works really well, and should cut our loan down by ~5 years or so. Hope to increase the additional to principle soon to really cut the life and interest down.
:fuckyeah: