Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
New job?
Not so patiently waiting for the offer letter.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

New job?
don;t have a tech guy to replace that keyboard. tread lightly.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Eh the rocket was computer controlled and many of the very difficult calculations were done by a supercomputer.
Eh, "computer" and "supercomputer" are HIGHLY relative terms when talking about computers of the era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
The Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) was a digital computer produced for the Apollo program that was installed on board each Apollo command module (CM) and Apollo Lunar Module (LM). The AGC provided computation and electronic interfaces for guidance, navigation, and control of the spacecraft.[3]

The AGC has a 16-bit word length, with 15 data bits and one parity bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_La ... l_Computer
The Saturn Launch Vehicle Digital Computer (LVDC) was a computer that provided the autopilot for the Saturn V rocket from launch to Earth orbit insertion.
The LVDC was capable of executing 12190 instructions per second. For comparison, a 2012-era microprocessor can execute 4 instructions per cycle at 3 GHz, achieving 12 billion instructions per second, one million times faster.

Its master clock ran at 2.048 MHz, but operations were performed bit-serially, with 4 cycles required to process each bit, 14 bits per phase, and 3 phases per instruction, for a basic time of 168 cycles = 82 μs for a simple add. (A few instructions, such as multiply or divide, took a few times this value.)

Memory was in the form of 13-bit syllables, each with a 14th parity bit.[1] Instructions were one syllable in size, while data words were two syllables (26 bits). Main memory was random access magnetic core, in the form of 4,096-word memory modules. Up to 8 modules provided a maximum of 32,768 words of memory. Ultrasonic delay lines provided temporary storage.

For reliability, the LVDC used triple-redundant logic and a voting system. The computer included three identical logic systems. Each logic system was split into a seven-stage pipeline. At each stage in the pipeline, a voting system would take a majority vote on the results, with the most popular result being passed on to the next stage in all pipelines. This meant that, for each of the seven stages, one module in any one of the three pipelines could fail, and the LVDC would still produce the correct results. The result was an estimated reliability of 99.6% over 250 hours of operation, which was far more than the few hours required for an Apollo mission.

With four memory modules, giving a total capacity of 16,384 words, the computer weighed 72.5 lb (32.9 kg), was 29.5×12.5×10.5 inches in size (74×32×27 cm) and consumed 137 watts.
They're highly relative terms in any specific time frame.

The IBM7030 Stretch, one of the first supercomputers, had computing power of roughly 100x anything else available. It was the fastest available computer until about 1964. It spawned the IBM System/360 that NASA purchased 5 of to run the Apollo program simulations and design calculations. Those System/360's were doing ground computing while the rocket was en route to the moon. They'd compute course corrections, burn lengths, etc.

That System/360 computer was capable of ~1 MFLOPS (1 million floating point operations per second)
An outdated iPhone 7 puts out around 300 GFLOPS (1 billion floating point operations per second)
Your phone is 300,000x more powerful than a mainframe computer system that took up a room.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm

:wrong:

the computer was a hardware computer with hilariously small computing power. Woven by hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V_instrument_unit
:dat: too.
Regardless, it was still a computer.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am I find primitive computers more :impressive: than the modern shit generally. The crazy automatic looms, mechanical calculators, etc. designed waaaay the fuck back in the 17th-19th centuries are :mindblown:
You like old computers you say? How about a 2,100 year old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
:word:

There used to be a lot of smart fuckers in the world before the Christians wiped them out.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 am
wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am

You like old computers you say? How about a 2,100 year old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
:word:

There used to be a lot of smart fuckers in the world before the Christians wiped them out.
:notwrong:
Such :fax: so :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 am Where's Irish been? Hope everything is ok...
Irish reporting for doody.....

Vacay to Sandbridge Beach, Virginia...... They call it the OBX of VA as it is on the same barrier island chain.......laid back, non commercial area with uncrowded beaches.......was 5/7

Had a quirky house on the bay side, the sunsets were stellar......

First Day Dreary, still better than being home

Rented Kayaks, Bikes Chairs and Umbrella....money well spent

Finally got my digital 35mm working

Downstairs Sunroom

Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am
wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am

Eh, "computer" and "supercomputer" are HIGHLY relative terms when talking about computers of the era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_La ... l_Computer

The IBM7030 Stretch, one of the first supercomputers, had computing power of roughly 100x anything else available. It was the fastest available computer until about 1964. It spawned the IBM System/360 that NASA purchased 5 of to run the Apollo program simulations and design calculations. Those System/360's were doing ground computing while the rocket was en route to the moon. They'd compute course corrections, burn lengths, etc.

That System/360 computer was capable of ~1 MFLOPS (1 million floating point operations per second)
An outdated iPhone 7 puts out around 300 GFLOPS (1 billion floating point operations per second)
Your phone is 300,000x more powerful than a mainframe computer system that took up a room.
They went to the moon on 1 MFLOPS and we now watch pr0n and cat videos with 300,000x more computing power. :lol:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Irish went to the moon before NASA. :impressive:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am

They went to the moon on 1 MFLOPS and we now watch pr0n and cat videos with 300,000x more computing power. :lol:
Pretty much.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am
wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 am
:dat: too.
:bruh:
You're still discounting Pec's original statement that slide rules were integral to the whole Apollo program.
wap

Irish wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:27 am
wap wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 am Where's Irish been? Hope everything is ok...
Irish reporting for doody.....

Vacay to Sandbridge Beach, Virginia...... They call it the OBX of VA as it is on the same barrier island chain.......laid back, non commercial area with uncrowded beaches.......was 5/7

Had a quirky house on the bay side, the sunsets were stellar......

First Day Dreary, still better than being home

Rented Kayaks, Bikes Chairs and Umbrella....money well spent

Finally got my digital 35mm working

Downstairs Sunroom

There you are!
:hai:
Glad to know all is well with you.
5/7 pics! Looks like a good time. :like:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am

You're still discounting Pec's original statement that slide rules were integral to the whole Apollo program.
They were integral because they were the simple calculators of the time. But the rockets were designed and flown by utilizing (at the time) massive amounts of computer power.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am
wap wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am

They were integral because they were the simple calculators of the time. But the rockets were designed and flown by utilizing (at the time) massive amounts of computer power.
I have a slide rule. I even use it sometimes.

Im taking a 3/4 day today
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am

:doit:
Go pick up a bottle of bourbon too. You deserve it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

Im more of a scotch guy but yes, i will hit the store on the way home for a nice beer and a nice bottle.
HOPEFULLY it will be to also celebrate accepting my new job...if the offer comes in.

Im on fucking pins. I bet my BP is over 140. I really need it to come in so i can put in my two weeks and peace out for vacation and never come back....new employer knew this too.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am

Im more of a scotch guy but yes, i will hit the store on the way home for a nice beer and a nice bottle.
HOPEFULLY it will be to also celebrate accepting my new job...if the offer comes in.

Im on fucking pins. I bet my BP is over 140. I really need it to come in so i can put in my two weeks and peace out for vacation and never come back....new employer knew this too.
Sweet. Fingers crossed for you dude.
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am

:fuckyeah: :excited: for you :fax: !
Apex

I should probably do something resembling work today...
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 am Irish went to the moon before NASA. :impressive:
Dats rite

Same trip

Trip a few weeks ago

:doge: doesnt like when I blast off

Dis guy flies around my house for real.... need to befriend him somehow....

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am I find primitive computers more :impressive: than the modern shit generally. The crazy automatic looms, mechanical calculators, etc. designed waaaay the fuck back in the 17th-19th centuries are :mindblown:
SO MUCH :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am
Interview went into that...he said they're starting from scratch right now and recognized that 5 years for development to launch is aggressive.

But apparently the recent budget allocated to NASA is enough to get it done. He went into how they're working faster than they ever have, leveraging cutting edge tech and modeling to make it happen.

:popcorn:
they talk about moon base at all for staging?
No...the moon base was more about preparing for a base on Mars. Using it as a testing ground of sorts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

New job?
:excited: congrats dude!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am

they talk about moon base at all for staging?
No...the moon base was more about preparing for a base on Mars. Using it as a testing ground of sorts.
Moon base == Area 52. We storm it at dawn...

Wait... Dawn here, or dawn there?
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 pm
Moon base == Area 52. We storm it at dawn...

Wait... Dawn here, or dawn there?
:lolgasm: