Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 am

additional fun :fax:

Gene Kranz - Flight Director - was 36 years old and most of the flight controller were in their early to mid-20's.

Kinda mind blowing when we consider how the current work environment tends to de-value young workers :millennial:
And it's those same assholes that are generally doing the devaluing
Also :dat:

:rage:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 am
:mindblown:

At most orgs, young people are good for nothing more than creating reports and putting together ppt for mgmt to present.

That's what I do at my job. Drastically overpaid for that, but whatever.
same.

Or get assigned "projects" that comes out of "high level" meetings that I wasn't a part of. That 1) really don't need to be projects 2) should be assigned to people that have the authority to make it happen.
Wait...do we work for the same company?

Late last week, I was assigned a project by my boss...who was assigned the project from his boss from a "high level meeting". I put together what was communicated to me and take it to bosses boss. He looks at it :notsure: then says "hey, come with me to this meeting in an hour...it's about this project".

Cool.

Get to the meeting, and it's all higher ups (not usually a meeting a person like me should be in), but it's low key and they start talking about the project and I realize it's completely different from what was originally communicated to me. If I was in the original meeting hearing it myself, I would have prepared something more fitting.

Oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Just :gtfo: to the promised lands of TN
:dat:
I plan too. New job is nice raise and all, opportunity for advancement and whatnot. BUT, we are going to save the raise so to speak and after a year or so continue looking for a position in the real Blessed lands.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Genuinely sorry,I'm in detail mode. Fucking HOA. Never. Again.

Gene Kranz - Flight Director - was 36 years old and most of the flight controller were in their early to mid-20's.

Kinda mind blowing when we consider how the current work environment tends to de-value young workers :millennial:

Yea dud, nuts. Kranz was MY AGE NOW.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am

same.

Or get assigned "projects" that comes out of "high level" meetings that I wasn't a part of. That 1) really don't need to be projects 2) should be assigned to people that have the authority to make it happen.
Wait...do we work for the same company?

Late last week, I was assigned a project by my boss...who was assigned the project from his boss from a "high level meeting". I put together what was communicated to me and take it to bosses boss. He looks at it :notsure: then says "hey, come with me to this meeting in an hour...it's about this project".

Cool.

Get to the meeting, and it's all higher ups (not usually a meeting a person like me should be in), but it's low key and they start talking about the project and I realize it's completely different from what was originally communicated to me. If I was in the original meeting hearing it myself, I would have prepared something more fitting.

Oh well.
Yeah - such is life.

Mine was along the lines of "Hey Travis, we want to do enable a new service channel. The market demands it, so put a team together and go figure out how to do it."

Me: "Well why don't we just use the normal certification and repair levels process that's been in existence for 20+ years and the people in the region already know how to use?"

Boss: "We can do that?"

Me: "...."

Without boring people with specifics, yes, what was asked was slightly out of scope for how the process was originally intended to work, but somewhere a long the way we've stopped empowering people at the working levels to make those decisions, so then we end up with people like me who do nothing but tell people to leverage whats in front of us - and running projects that don't need to be projects at all.

But, as you said - I'm paid well so :aintcare:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:19 am

Yea dud, nuts. Kranz was MY AGE NOW.
:dat: I heard it on a podcast (13 Minutes) the other day and was :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am
:dat:
I plan too. New job is nice raise and all, opportunity for advancement and whatnot. BUT, we are going to save the raise so to speak and after a year or so continue looking for a position in the real Blessed lands.
New job?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 am Heard an interview the other day with the head of NASA (I think) on NPR. Really interesting stuff about going to the moon again and then Mars. This time, the moon missions will have the purpose of figuring out how to live and work there so it can be replicated on Mars.

He was saying the goal was to be back on the moon by 2024 and Mars by 2035. Would be so cool to see both events happen in our lifetimes.
enough work shit lets talk about cool moon shit and rockets

I like lets go to the moon by 2024.

I have my doubts we can do it without a launch vehicle capable of getting americans into orbit.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 am Heard an interview the other day with the head of NASA (I think) on NPR. Really interesting stuff about going to the moon again and then Mars. This time, the moon missions will have the purpose of figuring out how to live and work there so it can be replicated on Mars.

He was saying the goal was to be back on the moon by 2024 and Mars by 2035. Would be so cool to see both events happen in our lifetimes.

I have my doubts we can do it without a launch vehicle capable of getting americans into orbit.
Interview went into that...he said they're starting from scratch right now and recognized that 5 years for development to launch is aggressive.

But apparently the recent budget allocated to NASA is enough to get it done. He went into how they're working faster than they ever have, leveraging cutting edge tech and modeling to make it happen.

:popcorn:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am

Interview went into that...he said they're starting from scratch right now and recognized that 5 years for development to launch is aggressive.

But apparently the recent budget allocated to NASA is enough to get it done. He went into how they're working faster than they ever have, leveraging cutting edge tech and modeling to make it happen.

I would love to see it. We have the tech, it can be done.

this was my phone background for the last decade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RL10
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

That is a fantastic image!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

It was hard to chagne and im still getting used to it.

Its like when wayyy back i had the beginning of '"Won't Get Fooled Again" as my ringtone...i still look at my phone if i hear it randomly.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

It was hard to chagne and im still getting used to it.

Its like when wayyy back i had the beginning of '"Won't Get Fooled Again" as my ringtone...i still look at my phone if i hear it randomly.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

I don't even know what my ringtone is. My phone is on vibrate 99% of the time. It rang once and I didn't know it was my phone.

:derp:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Genuinely sorry,I'm in detail mode. Fucking HOA. Never. Again.

People are fucking morons anymore
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am I don't even know what my ringtone is. My phone is on vibrate 99% of the time. It rang once and I didn't know it was my phone.

:derp:
Im talking like 2001 bruh when polyphonic ringtones were all the rage.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm
Don’t forget they built this with freaking slide rules...
Eh the rocket was computer controlled and many of the very difficult calculations were done by a supercomputer.
Eh, "computer" and "supercomputer" are HIGHLY relative terms when talking about computers of the era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
The Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) was a digital computer produced for the Apollo program that was installed on board each Apollo command module (CM) and Apollo Lunar Module (LM). The AGC provided computation and electronic interfaces for guidance, navigation, and control of the spacecraft.[3]

The AGC has a 16-bit word length, with 15 data bits and one parity bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_La ... l_Computer
The Saturn Launch Vehicle Digital Computer (LVDC) was a computer that provided the autopilot for the Saturn V rocket from launch to Earth orbit insertion.
The LVDC was capable of executing 12190 instructions per second. For comparison, a 2012-era microprocessor can execute 4 instructions per cycle at 3 GHz, achieving 12 billion instructions per second, one million times faster.

Its master clock ran at 2.048 MHz, but operations were performed bit-serially, with 4 cycles required to process each bit, 14 bits per phase, and 3 phases per instruction, for a basic time of 168 cycles = 82 μs for a simple add. (A few instructions, such as multiply or divide, took a few times this value.)

Memory was in the form of 13-bit syllables, each with a 14th parity bit.[1] Instructions were one syllable in size, while data words were two syllables (26 bits). Main memory was random access magnetic core, in the form of 4,096-word memory modules. Up to 8 modules provided a maximum of 32,768 words of memory. Ultrasonic delay lines provided temporary storage.

For reliability, the LVDC used triple-redundant logic and a voting system. The computer included three identical logic systems. Each logic system was split into a seven-stage pipeline. At each stage in the pipeline, a voting system would take a majority vote on the results, with the most popular result being passed on to the next stage in all pipelines. This meant that, for each of the seven stages, one module in any one of the three pipelines could fail, and the LVDC would still produce the correct results. The result was an estimated reliability of 99.6% over 250 hours of operation, which was far more than the few hours required for an Apollo mission.

With four memory modules, giving a total capacity of 16,384 words, the computer weighed 72.5 lb (32.9 kg), was 29.5×12.5×10.5 inches in size (74×32×27 cm) and consumed 137 watts.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Eh the rocket was computer controlled and many of the very difficult calculations were done by a supercomputer.
:wrong:

the computer was a hardware computer with hilariously small computing power. Woven by hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V_instrument_unit
:dat: too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

also, it was Baba O'riley. opps.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

New job?
he's been dropping little hints of that shit for the last week. I finally got him to give a few tiny :fax: but saw the gears turning from the outside.

Similar position. Bigger company with broader market specific name established. They pay well and pretty much set the pay scales. Its a good move. :like:
wap

Orion :doe: ?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I find primitive computers more :impressive: than the modern shit generally. The crazy automatic looms, mechanical calculators, etc. designed waaaay the fuck back in the 17th-19th centuries are :mindblown:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

they talk about moon base at all for staging?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am I find primitive computers more :impressive: than the modern shit generally. The crazy automatic looms, mechanical calculators, etc. designed waaaay the fuck back in the 17th-19th centuries are :mindblown:
You like old computers you say? How about a 2,100 year old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

New job?
Not so patiently waiting for the offer letter.
brain go brrrrrr