OT 16: A pirate's life for me!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

haleyann wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm Congrats grad!
Thanks! I don't know what to do with all this free time now... so here I am.
:fap:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:13 pm:hai:
:howdy: :narc: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Anyone have any recommendations on furniture? I'm looking to get a liquor cabinet since the wife wants the bottles out of the pantry and off the kitchen countertop, and out of the island cabinets.

Was thinking about trying am Amish furniture place, but looking for any ideas.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

wap wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 pm
haleyann wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks! I don't know what to do with all this free time now... so here I am.
:fuckyeah:

But she disappeared again. :(
I’m here! I can’t be on constantly you know...
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pm Anyone have any recommendations on furniture? I'm looking to get a liquor cabinet since the wife wants the bottles out of the pantry and off the kitchen countertop, and out of the island cabinets.

I got my favorite furniture at a local furniture store. But I find cool stuff on wayfair and joss&main too.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 am
Calvinball wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 am

One of the greats for sure, within context. Part of what made it so great was exactly why a modern general audience will scratch their head and wonder where the praise comes from. There was a lot of innovation in that film that has since become commonplace or even overplayed. All about the context.

Sent from the Beer Depository
This is a very good point. Watching the movie, I was amazed by how much has been imitated from it since. It's clearly a "significant" movie in terms of the development of modern cinema, but aside from that, it's a lot of meh.
Speaking of context, interesting interview a friend recently posted:

:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pm Anyone have any recommendations on furniture? I'm looking to get a liquor cabinet since the wife wants the bottles out of the pantry and off the kitchen countertop, and out of the island cabinets.

For alot of our furniture I liked all modern, Nadeu, Wayfair, & west elm.

You also could consider getting it custom made local; its not as much as you might think. :dubshow: just got a really nice dining room able made for like 500 hundo.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Amish furniture build quality is second to none.

That said, if you're trying to do it on the cheap with good quality...Nadeu and Restoration Hardware OUTLET is where we get all our furniture from.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:44 am

The options for liquor cabinets are sadly limited. I'm going to do floating shelves in my office for my collection, but if you have the money getting something custom from the Amish is the real way to go.
I'm finding there are no real options either. Lots and lots of stuff for wine, but almost nothing good for vertical bottle storage/display.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 am

You also could consider getting it custom made local; its not as much as you might think. :dubshow: just got a really nice dining room able made for like 500 hundo.
Out here it's not so cheap. A few years ago I went to some custom cabinet shops and wanted to get a kitchen island made. Quotes ranged from "We can't do that job, it's too small" to "We'd have to get back to you in about 10-12 months as we're too busy", and the only actual quote was $4,500!

:wtf:

A friend had a nice china cabinet made by some amish woodworkers and paid $2500, but it was incredible and made 100% from cherry wood at his request. This was about a decade ago, so I assume prices have gone up a good amount.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am Amish furniture build quality is second to none.

That said, if you're trying to do it on the cheap with good quality...Nadeu and Restoration Hardware OUTLET is where we get all our furniture from.
I'm done buying cheap furniture like this anymore. I want something that will last forever. I went with Ethan Allen for my dining room table and chairs because everything else I found on the market was MDF and veneers.... for not much less than the real stuff.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am Amish furniture build quality is second to none.

I'm done buying cheap furniture like this anymore. I want something that will last forever. I went with Ethan Allen for my dining room table and chairs because everything else I found on the market was MDF and veneers.... for not much less than the real stuff.
Oh, I agree 100%

Everything we have from Nadeu and RH are real wood great quality pieces.

Nadeu produces everything one-off in India from solid materials and fills a shipping container that's sent to each store. The stuff is unloaded and sold in store only. The quality is surprisingly good on some things, and not so great on other pieces. Kind of fun in a hunting for good stuff kind of way. We bought a live edge solid wood and steel shelving unit from there and it's fantastic.

RH stuff is overpriced, but great solid quality from our experience. If you have an outlet nearby, the prices are far more reasonable.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I somewhat regret buying good "forever" furniture. It inevitably gets dinged up a bit in moves and doesn't necessarily fit well in different spaces - but you can't just replace it for any reasonable cost so you're stuck with "good" things that don't really work anymore.
wap

haleyann wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:09 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 pm

:fuckyeah:

But she disappeared again. :(
I’m here! I can’t be on constantly you know...
:butwhy: not??
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am I somewhat regret buying good "forever" furniture. It inevitably gets dinged up a bit in moves and doesn't necessarily fit well in different spaces - but you can't just replace it for any reasonable cost so you're stuck with "good" things that don't really work anymore.
This is why we shop deals at outlets or wherever. Good quality furniture doesn't have to cost a fortune.

We tallied it up last night, we have ~$30k (retail MSRP) worth of RH furniture that we've paid ~$8k for over the years. 6 foot round dining table and 8 chairs, 8 ft leather couch, 4 nice chairs (2 leather, 2 purple velvet), giant coffee table and side table things, plus rando shit. All really nice solid wood stuff.
wap

Half a mil for a dining room table?
:troywax: :wasteful: :troywax:
:waxer: :dubshow: :waxer:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am I somewhat regret buying good "forever" furniture. It inevitably gets dinged up a bit in moves and doesn't necessarily fit well in different spaces - but you can't just replace it for any reasonable cost so you're stuck with "good" things that don't really work anymore.
They actually seem sell quite well on the used market, even with "use marks".

When my grandparents passed we sold their oak dining room set which was a table, chairs, china cabinet and buffet for much more than they originally paid for them. IIRC they paid $4000 for the set in the late 70's, which was a lot, but we sold the set for over $11k in 2000.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

Oh, I agree 100%

Nadeu produces everything one-off in India from solid materials and fills a shipping container that's sent to each store. The stuff is unloaded and sold in store only. The quality is surprisingly good on some things, and not so great on other pieces. Kind of fun in a hunting for good stuff kind of way. We bought a live edge solid wood and steel shelving unit from there and it's fantastic.

RH stuff is overpriced, but great solid quality from our experience. If you have an outlet nearby, the prices are far more reasonable.
Sweet... There are a few RH stores here and an outlet on my commute to/from work! Will have to check them out.

I was actually thinking about buying this and seeing if I can get them to stain it in the color we got our table and chairs in.

https://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-f ... 50#start=1
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am

Half a mil for a dining room table?
:waxer: :dubshow: :waxer:
:impressive:
wap

Another option, if it fits your taste, is to shop at antique stores. Furniture built 70+ years ago will have :amaze: build quality and will most likely be solid wood. I have a solid walnut dining room set (table with 3 leaves, 6 chairs, china cabinet, buffet, side server) that's about 95 years old and we use them all the time and they're still very solid to this day. We also have a few 100+ year old pieces like book cases, a hall tree,secretary desk, etc, that still function well as every day furniture. It may take a bit of time but you can score a really unique piece for not crazy dough.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am
Oh, I agree 100%

Sweet... There are a few RH stores here and an outlet on my commute to/from work! Will have to check them out.

I was actually thinking about buying this and seeing if I can get them to stain it in the color we got our table and chairs in.

Matching would be the way to go IMO.

BUT, it's worth swinging by the outlet to see what they have...inventories constantly change. We bought this for $500 from our local outlet. It was brand new, just in a discontinued finish...
https://www.restorationhardware.com/cat ... at10180110

I planned on keeping my whiskey collection on it, but ended up using an old icebox the previous owners forgot instead. I think it would would work great for whiskey storage tho.

Also, never buy anything new from RH at the retail stores. It's always a complete disaster. I have no idea how that company is still in business.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:53 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am

Matching would be the way to go IMO.

BUT, it's worth swinging by the outlet to see what they have...inventories constantly change. We bought this for $500 from our local outlet. It was brand new, just in a discontinued finish...
https://www.restorationhardware.com/cat ... at10180110

I planned on keeping my whiskey collection on it, but ended up using an old icebox the previous owners forgot instead. I think it would would work great for whiskey storage tho.

Also, never buy anything new from RH at the retail stores. It's always a complete disaster. I have no idea how that company is still in business.
Old ice boxes are awesome. Got any pics of it?

Something similar would be an old Victrola cabinet, if you could find one.
Something like this, with the guts removed. My brother's SIL has one and it's a 5/7 storage cabinet thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Another option, if it fits your taste, is to shop at antique stores. Furniture built 70+ years ago will have :amaze: build quality and will most likely be solid wood. I have a solid walnut dining room set (table with 3 leaves, 6 chairs, china cabinet, buffet, side server) that's about 95 years old and we use them all the time and they're still very solid to this day. We also have a few 100+ year old pieces like book cases, a hall tree,secretary desk, etc, that still function well as every day furniture. It may take a bit of time but you can score a really unique piece for not crazy dough.
Yea...good suggestion too!

I've noticed however that antique stores lately tend to thing their stuff is made from pure gold. Prices have been increasing quite a bit lately and I'm not entirely sure why.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 am
wap wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Another option, if it fits your taste, is to shop at antique stores. Furniture built 70+ years ago will have :amaze: build quality and will most likely be solid wood. I have a solid walnut dining room set (table with 3 leaves, 6 chairs, china cabinet, buffet, side server) that's about 95 years old and we use them all the time and they're still very solid to this day. We also have a few 100+ year old pieces like book cases, a hall tree,secretary desk, etc, that still function well as every day furniture. It may take a bit of time but you can score a really unique piece for not crazy dough.
Yea...good suggestion too!

I've noticed however that antique stores lately tend to thing their stuff is made from pure gold. Prices have been increasing quite a bit lately and I'm not entirely sure why.
:disappoint:

Maybe because of the lack of good quality new stuff, other than high-end?