OT 16: A pirate's life for me!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

All the rest of my friends are a group of dudes I met working in college and the small circle of guys they introduced me to. We all talk daily in a group chat and try to see each other a few times a year. Great guys.

Haven’t made any real friends in San Diego in the 4 years or whatever of living here, but I’m fine with that.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:01 am I have lost touch with everyone I went to high school with. SAD!
Same. We are sooooo different.now.
:sissyfight:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

A strange thing has happened for us...almost all of our friends are our parent's age. Empty nesters with lots of disposable income, just like us...only we're nearly half their age. We'll be hanging out with them and their kids will come over...who are almost as old as we are...and the looks are :lolol:

Last night we went to dinner at a Russian Orthodox Monastery (coolest most random place I've been to) with a group of 8...everyone except for us were over the age of 60. We're not big in social media or other young things, so we get along best with this group. Everyone our age is busy with kids and/or :bs: we don't care about.

Afterward, wife and I were a bit high sitting on the front porch when she mentioned that being half the age of our friends will mean burying them way before we're ready. We were both a bit :mindblown: and :sad: at that realization.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am A strange thing has happened for us...almost all of our friends are our parent's age. Empty nesters with lots of disposable income, just like us...only we're nearly half their age. We'll be hanging out with them and their kids will come over...who are almost as old as we are...and the looks are :lolol:

Last night we went to dinner at a Russian Orthodox Monastery (coolest most random place I've been to) with a group of 8...everyone except for us were over the age of 60. We're not big in social media or other young things, so we get along best with this group. Everyone our age is busy with kids and/or :bs: we don't care about.

Afterward, wife and I were a bit high sitting on the front porch when she mentioned that being half the age of our friends will mean burying them way before we're ready. We were both a bit :mindblown: and :sad: at that realization.
Yeah that’s a bummer of a thought. I’ve never had a close friend die. One of the four from HS I still talk to was in a bad car accident that left him in a coma for a few months and he has pretty bad brain damage with almost no short term memory now :( That’s the closest I’ve come and it was terrible. Can’t imagine actually burying one.
SAWCE

Don’t remember if I mentioned this. Went to Dave and Busters with the owner of my gym and his wife on Saturday. Knew he was a bit older, but was surprised to learn he’s 46. He’s a cool dude and definitely wants to be friends. Will be my oldest friend for sure. Think we’re gonna all hang on the 4th. He’s friends with the drummer or bassist from the Misfits, guess they live out here so he invited us to a cookout at that dude’s place for the 4th. Random, but pretty cool.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am Don’t remember if I mentioned this. Went to Dave and Busters with the owner of my gym and his wife on Saturday. Knew he was a bit older, but was surprised to learn he’s 46. He’s a cool dude and definitely wants to be friends. Will be my oldest friend for sure. Think we’re gonna all hang on the 4th. He’s friends with the drummer or bassist from the Misfits, guess they live out here so he invited us to a cookout at that dude’s place for the 4th. Random, but pretty cool.
Dude, that's awesome!

We have zero friends our age. ZERO. A few acquaintances at best.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am Don’t remember if I mentioned this. Went to Dave and Busters with the owner of my gym and his wife on Saturday. Knew he was a bit older, but was surprised to learn he’s 46. He’s a cool dude and definitely wants to be friends. Will be my oldest friend for sure. Think we’re gonna all hang on the 4th. He’s friends with the drummer or bassist from the Misfits, guess they live out here so he invited us to a cookout at that dude’s place for the 4th. Random, but pretty cool.
Dude, that's awesome!

Yeah everyone I’ve met out here has really just become and acquaintance. Mostly met at the gym. We’ll talk in there and talk about hanging out outside of it, but it never happens. Gym owner is actually making an effort to hang and become friends out of the gym, so I’ll try to make that happen and reciprocate his efforts.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am
Dude, that's awesome!

Yeah everyone I’ve met out here has really just become and acquaintance. Mostly met at the gym. We’ll talk in there and talk about hanging out outside of it, but it never happens. Gym owner is actually making an effort to hang and become friends out of the gym, so I’ll try to make that happen and reciprocate his efforts.
That's really awesome man.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 am

Yeah I’m excited about it. We’ve got the similar passion for bodybuilding, so we understand each other on a different level than the other dudes I’ve met in the gym who are more casual about lifting. His wife is younger, 33, and is a school psychologist so her and michelle have similar background and seemed to get along well enough when we all went to DnB. Should be a good couple friendship and individual friendships all the way around.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 am
Yeah I’m excited about it. We’ve got the similar passion for bodybuilding, so we understand each other on a different level than the other dudes I’ve met in the gym who are more casual about lifting. His wife is younger, 33, and is a school psychologist so her and michelle have similar background and seemed to get along well enough when we all went to DnB. Should be a good couple friendship and individual friendships all the way around.
That's rare from my experience. That's how we ended up with all old people as friends because we have remarkably similar interests, taste in music, and opinions on the world.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Who said I wasn’t?
I guess I just inferred an :eeyore: tone while reading your posts/replies.

Throw a :fuckyeah: in there mang
I’m a bit annoyed that they are claiming laws don’t apply to them yet again. Only this time it’s worker rights laws instead of the EPA.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 am
That's rare from my experience. That's how we ended up with all old people as friends because we have remarkably similar interests, taste in music, and opinions on the world.
It's tougher as a couple for me. I'm really lucky with Allison in that she is very friendly and open minded, so she can befriend my friend's and their wives/gfs, but I feel like it's rare that I really hit it off with her friend's husbands. I hate the like "talk about what I do for business" conversations and stuff. :iono: I really only hit it off with people who like cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:27 pm
It's tougher as a couple for me. I'm really lucky with Allison in that she is very friendly and open minded, so she can befriend my friend's and their wives/gfs, but I feel like it's rare that I really hit it off with her friend's husbands. I hate the like "talk about what I do for business" conversations and stuff. :iono: I really only hit it off with people who like cars.
All the people our age around us just want to talk about :baby: or sports or going way too into something. Like one dude I was talking to recently I mentioned liking whiskey/scotch. He suggested we should drink some together because he was "a huge whiskey guy". OK, cool. Then he starts going on and on about his 100+ bottle collection, how expensive the bottles are, how hard they are to get, etc, etc but nothing about the tastes. BRUH All I want to do is sit on my porch and drink some fucking Scotch. I don't care what it costs or how rare it is. If I like it, I like it.

Meanwhile, my "closest" friend is 61. He's :waxer: AF and will just buy bottles of scotch that "sound neat". He'll bring it over and we'll just talk about random life shit or whatever while we sip the bottle down on the porch. We've done this with $500 bottles before and he never once mentioned price, rarity, etc. He opened it up, took a sip, and said "holy fuck", poured me a glass...and that was it. I'll reciprocate, but not with stuff that expensive. Doesn't matter, for us it's more about the relaxation and friendship. We're not trying to impress anyone

I don't care enough about things and status and whatever to get along with the people my age it seems. Everyone's just trying to impress one another, which I DGAF about.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Honestly, the more I get older, the more I tend to enjoy hanging out with older people more. For instance, me and my college friend used to go to this place where they play deep/progressive house. Then we began talking to someone that we see often and a regular, decided to invite us to his apartment and became great friends. Now that my college friend moved back to Peru, I began hanging out with him more often, and couple of his friends that we essentially became a group that goes to shows are either 28,29 or 35 and I just turned 27. Just goes to show that more things in common matter as opposed to physical age theoretically at an age after you finish your undergrad, on time that is.

That being said, I believe the age in mentality than physical age. As for the local VW group/buddies for instance, we have a 19 year old dude and a high schooler comes by, while the majority of us are 28-40. We all get along fairly well, and have things outside of cars whether sports, music, watches, cigars, you name it.

I don't really enjoy hanging out with friends I went to high school with as much anymore, even though we have some things in common and I'm more :aintcare: in comparison to :dat: , it felt weird when I first realized it.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 pm

All the people our age around us just want to talk about :baby: or sports or going way too into something. Like one dude I was talking to recently I mentioned liking whiskey/scotch. He suggested we should drink some together because he was "a huge whiskey guy". OK, cool. Then he starts going on and on about his 100+ bottle collection, how expensive the bottles are, how hard they are to get, etc, etc but nothing about the tastes. BRUH All I want to do is sit on my porch and drink some fucking Scotch. I don't care what it costs or how rare it is. If I like it, I like it.

Meanwhile, my "closest" friend is 61. He's :waxer: AF and will just buy bottles of scotch that "sound neat". He'll bring it over and we'll just talk about random life shit or whatever while we sip the bottle down on the porch. We've done this with $500 bottles before and he never once mentioned price, rarity, etc. He opened it up, took a sip, and said "holy fuck", poured me a glass...and that was it. I'll reciprocate, but not with stuff that expensive. Doesn't matter, for us it's more about the relaxation and friendship. We're not trying to impress anyone

I don't care enough about things and status and whatever to get along with the people my age it seems. Everyone's just trying to impress one another, which I DGAF about.
Yeah man, can definitely relate there, I feel like the 30s decade is a bit about that. Like "I'm not a kid anymore, I need to prove I've made it" or whatever. IDGAF and :nope: out of that stuff quickly. I have a handful of great core friends though, lucky in that way. Unfortunately only really one of them lives here in Charlotte.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have a really hard time with the sportsball thing as well. I mean, I enjoy going to Panthers games, I like being outside, it's our home team, I the :drunk: aspect is fun... but once people start talking stats or what they saw on TV last night or whatever... :nope:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

The bold part doesn't really change with age. Even at 48 we still get grilled by people if we have kids, and when we happily say no we get asked why not... Happened twice in Hawaii by two couples we met at the restaurant bars while waiting to be seated. Each time the couple got kind of aggressive about it I simply asked "Where are you staying on the Island?" When they gave me the name of the hotel I pulled a douchy move and said "Well, since we don't have kids we came here for two weeks, on two islands. We flew first class on every flight and rented a $4M home on Maui and a $3M home on Kauai. We go where we want, how we want, when we want and almost live a second life in Vegas. We never need a babysitter, or to burden a family member with watching kids. That's why we don't have any kids and never wanted them."

I love seeing the look of shock, horror and disbelief on a mother's face when I drop that bit of information.

I told my sister-in-law that kids are horrible. First they cry all the time, then when they stop that they start asking stupid questions over and over in places you would rather they just shut up. This was after one of the discussions with a stranger and having 2 kids herself she kinda frowned and then agreed. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I have a really hard time with the sportsball thing as well. I mean, I enjoy going to Panthers games, I like being outside, it's our home team, I the :drunk: aspect is fun... but once people start talking stats or what they saw on TV last night or whatever... :nope:
I too really enjoy going to games...it's a fun environment. But when it gets detailed about stats and whatnot :whocares:

It's tough because EVERYONE seems to be all-in on stats crap.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:27 pm It's tougher as a couple for me. I'm really lucky with Allison in that she is very friendly and open minded, so she can befriend my friend's and their wives/gfs, but I feel like it's rare that I really hit it off with her friend's husbands. I hate the like "talk about what I do for business" conversations and stuff. :iono: I really only hit it off with people who like cars.

Works for 15 years at getting a high status :waxer: job, buys :waxer: house, puts up :waxer: garage, drives :waxer: vehicles, drinks and eats at :waxer: places... Claims not to care about stuff or status.

Dude, you work awful hard for no fucking reason if you don't care about any of these things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:02 pm
Detroit wrote: All the people our age around us just want to talk about :baby: or sports or going way too into something. Like one dude I was talking to recently I mentioned liking whiskey/scotch. He suggested we should drink some together because he was "a huge whiskey guy". OK, cool. Then he starts going on and on about his 100+ bottle collection, how expensive the bottles are, how hard they are to get, etc, etc but nothing about the tastes. BRUH All I want to do is sit on my porch and drink some fucking Scotch. I don't care what it costs or how rare it is. If I like it, I like it.

Works for 15 years at getting a high status :waxer: job, buys :waxer: house, puts up :waxer: garage, drives :waxer: vehicles, drinks and eats at :waxer: places... Claims not to care about stuff or status.

Dude, you work awful hard for no fucking reason if you don't care about any of these things.
:iono: Enjoying some nice stuff is really different than caring about status. I like cars for the way they drive, look, and sound. I feel like Chris does either?
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:49 pm

The bold part doesn't really change with age. Even at 48 we still get grilled by people if we have kids, and when we happily say no we get asked why not... Happened twice in Hawaii by two couples we met at the restaurant bars while waiting to be seated. Each time the couple got kind of aggressive about it I simply asked "Where are you staying on the Island?" When they gave me the name of the hotel I pulled a douchy move and said "Well, since we don't have kids we came here for two weeks, on two islands. We flew first class on every flight and rented a $4M home on Maui and a $3M home on Kauai. We go where we want, how we want, when we want and almost live a second life in Vegas. We never need a babysitter, or to burden a family member with watching kids. That's why we don't have any kids and never wanted them."

I love seeing the look of shock, horror and disbelief on a mother's face when I drop that bit of information.

I told my sister-in-law that kids are horrible. First they cry all the time, then when they stop that they start asking stupid questions over and over in places you would rather they just shut up. This was after one of the discussions with a stranger and having 2 kids herself she kinda frowned and then agreed. :lol:
The 60+ YO empty nesters we hang out with get it. They've never once asked us why we don't want kids. They usually say things like "you're smart" or "I wish we had done that". :lolol:

But the people in their mid-40's are really the worst IMO. We're BY FAR the youngest people on our street...most people our age can't afford where we live. There's a certain couple that live across the street from us that used to ask us about the kid situation...and EVERY TIME we would tell them the same thing "we're not kid people"..."but why" they'd push...and that's when I went full douche like you did...I pointed at the house and said "I was 33 when we bought that...when did you move here?" It's funny now, they don't talk to us. But every time we're out on the porch getting :drunk: having fun and they get home from whatever kid :bs: thing they were at, they give us the most intense :csb: faces.

My wifes sister just popped out twin :baby: the pressure her family is giving my wife to care is immense. She's flying out there next week to fulfill the obligation to visit, but has zero interest in dealing with them. Many people can just not comprehend not being excited about :baby: It works for some people, but not all. Leave it the fuck alone.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Yeah man, can definitely relate there, I feel like the 30s decade is a bit about that. Like "I'm not a kid anymore, I need to prove I've made it" or whatever. IDGAF and :nope: out of that stuff quickly. I have a handful of great core friends though, lucky in that way. Unfortunately only really one of them lives here in Charlotte.
Same boat with Jill and me. The town we live in is super family oriented, and because we wont have kids, there's not much we can relate to with our local "friends." On top of little to no local car or motorcycle culture, there's not a lot for us to do. Fortunately we have a fantastic network of friends in various states that get together a few times a year to do fun things. And we're are fortunate in that we genuinely enjoy each other's company 98% of the time and yet totally comfortable doing our own things when needed, so while I miss having local friends, it's not like we're lonely or anything.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:02 pm Works for 15 years at getting a high status :waxer: job, buys :waxer: house, puts up :waxer: garage, drives :waxer: vehicles, drinks and eats at :waxer: places... Claims not to care about stuff or status.

:iono: Enjoying some nice stuff is really different than caring about status. I like cars for the way they drive, look, and sound. I feel like Chris does either?
Right...I just like nice things. I want to live in a nice area, drive a car I like, do nice things...but I don't make achieving those my sole focus. Unless pressed about kid shit like above, I never bring up where I live with people or how much my cars cost, or my booze collections or whatever. The cost isn't the point to me, it's the experience.

Many people make the cost the sole point. I drink a ton of $8 wine bottles and $30 bottles of whiskey because I found ones I like. I can appreciate more expensive bottles, but never make a big point about them.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:49 pm The bold part doesn't really change with age. Even at 48 we still get grilled by people if we have kids, and when we happily say no we get asked why not... Happened twice in Hawaii by two couples we met at the restaurant bars while waiting to be seated. Each time the couple got kind of aggressive about it I simply asked "Where are you staying on the Island?" When they gave me the name of the hotel I pulled a douchy move and said "Well, since we don't have kids we came here for two weeks, on two islands. We flew first class on every flight and rented a $4M home on Maui and a $3M home on Kauai. We go where we want, how we want, when we want and almost live a second life in Vegas. We never need a babysitter, or to burden a family member with watching kids. That's why we don't have any kids and never wanted them."

I told my sister-in-law that kids are horrible. First they cry all the time, then when they stop that they start asking stupid questions over and over in places you would rather they just shut up. This was after one of the discussions with a stranger and having 2 kids herself she kinda frowned and then agreed. Image
The 60+ YO empty nesters we hang out with get it. They've never once asked us why we don't want kids. They usually say things like "you're smart" or "I wish we had done that". Imageol:

But the people in their mid-40's are really the worst IMO. We're BY FAR the youngest people on our street...most people our age can't afford where we live. There's a certain couple that live across the street from us that used to ask us about the kid situation...and EVERY TIME we would tell them the same thing "we're not kid people"..."but why" they'd push...and that's when I went full douche like you did...I pointed at the house and said "I was 33 when we bought that...when did you move here?" It's funny now, they don't talk to us. But every time we're out on the porch getting :drunk: having fun and they get home from whatever kid :bs: thing they were at, they give us the most intense :csb: faces.

My wifes sister just popped out twin :baby: the pressure her family is giving my wife to care is immense. She's flying out there next week to fulfill the obligation to visit, but has zero interest in dealing with them. Many people can just not comprehend not being excited about :baby: It works for some people, but not all. Leave it the fuck alone.
You'll change your mind.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 pm
Detroit wrote: The 60+ YO empty nesters we hang out with get it. They've never once asked us why we don't want kids. They usually say things like "you're smart" or "I wish we had done that". Imageol:

You'll change your mind.
:triggered:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...