Camera recs?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Sure, I used to do that too... but after a bunch of pros at a dinner I went to with my friend's Uncle (pro wildlife and car photographer) they were talking to me about it I did some more research. Placing the filter on the threads is another element that is actually more susceptible to flaring and distortion and of lower quality that the expensive lenses.

Most of those guys just run the lens hood and not even a cap in their bags. I won't go that far, but for the last 18 months or so I have removed all my UV filters and sold them on ebay (Nikkor branded get $$). No issues, even with salt water in Alaska and Hawaii.
Pros also can write off their gear.

I can't (well, technically I could through the wife's business...).

I use high quality multicoated filters, I don't :scrooge: around on that. But I'm not going to leave my expensive glass unprotected.
The best multi coated filter is still shit compared to the elements in s good lens.

But do as you want, I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, just passing on what I have been told and read.

I have scratched some expensive UV filters in the past with normal cleaning, but the front elements in my lenses have never actually scratched. Nikon, B+W and Breakthrough Photography are the filters I used and they are not cheap either.

If you're worried go ahead, but you are reducing sharpness if you have a high megapixel sensor and are reducing the sensitivity at any given f stop.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Bottom line Z you are a tailight mud removing, soap dispenser filling couldn't take a clear picture if you tried mother fucker.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:57 pm Bottom line Z you are a tailight mud removing, soap dispenser filling couldn't take a clear picture if you tried mother fucker.
:lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:57 pm Bottom line Z you are a tailight mud removing, soap dispenser filling couldn't take a clear picture if you tried mother fucker.
:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.