Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Put 1/4 into that 1/4 into S&P 500. And maybe get some sort of a shitty bond. That would be the safest thing to do right now IMO. But it is quite unpredictable at the moment IMO. All things are at all time highs.
The likelihood of AT&T tanking to the point where they'd reduce the dividend significantly seems unlikely. If anything, AT&T should be more resistant than others because telcom is probably the highest in demand ever.

Maybe I should consider this...
Chris, I actually subscribe to Motley Fool. www.fool.com When their recommended stocks ALSO make sense to me, I buy some of them in a dedicated brokerage account. I have done quite well over the last 1.5 years, (like over 100% well) but I admit there may be some luck. It keeps me involved in individual stock picking and analysis, which I enjoy. Index funds certainly work in current market conditions, but they are soul crushing to me. You might want to consider this idea for a portion of your money.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm
The likelihood of AT&T tanking to the point where they'd reduce the dividend significantly seems unlikely. If anything, AT&T should be more resistant than others because telcom is probably the highest in demand ever.

Maybe I should consider this...
Chris, I actually subscribe to Motley Fool. www.fool.com When their recommended stocks ALSO make sense to me, I buy some of them in a dedicated brokerage account. I have done quite well over the last 1.5 years, (like over 100% well) but I admit there may be some luck. It keeps me involved in individual stock picking and analysis, which I enjoy. Index funds certainly work in current market conditions, but they are soul crushing to me. You might want to consider this idea for a portion of your money.
Individual stock picking absolutely has the better potential for gains, but also bigger increase for losses. We're at a market high, which makes me so hesitant to start picking...especially since I'm far from a lucky individual in this regard. And due to capital gains, I'm really not looking to invest short term, so buying and selling on the regular is :notsure: it's worth it.

A few years ago, I read a post on a site similar to motely fool about a smaller telcom company that owned cell towers. I had a $2k IRA sitting around, so threw the whole thing in it. It's done nothing.

I had another $2k IRA that I dumped into GM that's done absolutely nothing.

I have a bad track record, but I also don't invest a lot of time into it. Still not sure if I want to.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Individual stock picking absolutely has the better potential for gains, but also bigger increase for losses. We're at a market high, which makes me so hesitant to start picking...especially since I'm far from a lucky individual in this regard. And due to capital gains, I'm really not looking to invest short term, so buying and selling on the regular is :notsure: it's worth it.

A few years ago, I read a post on a site similar to motely fool about a smaller telcom company that owned cell towers. I had a $2k IRA sitting around, so threw the whole thing in it. It's done nothing.

I have a bad track record, but I also don't invest a lot of time into it. Still not sure if I want to.
The fool is about buying stocks and holding them for 3-5 years, not day trading. I like their approach, you should at least look at it. I have no losers from them. CRWD I bought at $105, today trading at $221, PYPL at $110, today is $235, wildest one percentage wise is MGNI, which I bought 100 shares of at $6 for the lolz and today it is $25ish. All fool picks. Check it yo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm

The fool is about buying stocks and holding them for 3-5 years, not day trading. I like their approach, you should at least look at it. I have no losers from them. CRWD I bought at $105, today trading at $221, PYPL at $110, today is $235, wildest one percentage wise is MGNI, which I bought 100 shares of at $6 for the lolz and today it is $25ish. All fool picks. Check it yo.
:ohdang: Will do some reading!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm

:notbad:

I should perhaps look into this as well.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Last 5 years have been nothing but a gravy train... Like pick anything and it'll go up... other than one of weird shit like GE.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:26 pm Last 5 years have been nothing but a gravy train... Like pick anything and it'll go up... other than one of weird shit like GE.
GM did nothing...I dumped $2k of a random IRA into it a few years ago and it's actually down a tad. I also dumped $2k into a smaller telcom company that I read about on a site like the fool 4 years ago that's now down 50%. I suck at this stuff.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:22 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:26 pm Last 5 years have been nothing but a gravy train... Like pick anything and it'll go up... other than one of weird shit like GE.
GM did nothing...I dumped $2k of a random IRA into it a few years ago and it's actually down a tad. I also dumped $2k into a smaller telcom company that I read about on a site like the fool 4 years ago that's now down 50%. I suck at this stuff.
Gm still went up about 30%... but you gotta remember the Tesla black hole that is sucking up ALL of investment from ALL OTHER CARMARKERS IN THE WORLD.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:22 pm
Gm still went up about 30%... but you gotta remember the Tesla black hole that is sucking up ALL of investment from ALL OTHER CARMARKERS IN THE WORLD.
Yea, no way in hell would I invest in an established car company. I selfishly hope that all this enthusiasm around Tesla wakes up the archaic management at established companies and shakes things up a bit, but I still hear a lot internally about Tesla being a blip and will eventually fail. :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and I bought GM in October 2017 and as of today it's down 0.39% in total. Done absolutely nothing. I guess I bought at a high or something if it's "up 30%"
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:28 am Oh, and I bought GM in October 2017 and as of today it's down 0.39% in total. Done absolutely nothing. I guess I bought at a high or something if it's "up 30%"
Pretty sure I said 5 years. But either way yea, obviously traditional car markers are left behind now
If you put $1000 into Tesla you'd have $17000 today
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Just been doing my 401k and Roth IRA... company match on our 401k just went up 1% :notbad: so they match 6% of my salary now and I’m putting 10% in myself with plans to bump that up to 12% when we get our annual raises in two months.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:55 am Just been doing my 401k and Roth IRA... company match on our 401k just went up 1% :notbad: so they match 6% of my salary now and I’m putting 10% in myself with plans to bump that up to 12% when we get our annual raises in two months.
:impressive: excellent plan.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:28 am Oh, and I bought GM in October 2017 and as of today it's down 0.39% in total. Done absolutely nothing. I guess I bought at a high or something if it's "up 30%"
Pretty sure I said 5 years. But either way yea, obviously traditional car markers are left behind now
When I put money into GM, I think everyone expected Tesla to die. Risk and reward :doe:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:55 am Just been doing my 401k and Roth IRA... company match on our 401k just went up 1% :notbad: so they match 6% of my salary now and I’m putting 10% in myself with plans to bump that up to 12% when we get our annual raises in two months.
:impressive: excellent plan.
Got a 3% raise last year, hoping for the same again. Throw the extra 2% into my 401k, stash an extra $100/month in cash savings, and have a few extra dollhairs floating around my checking account :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am

When I put money into GM, I think everyone expected Tesla to die. Risk and reward :doe:
I still expect Tesla to die, but I'm probably :wrong:

I am curious about the whole economy being based on future profitability and if/when that will all :nuke:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I am at $515 in 3 days of market trading for my initial amount of $500 with Wealthfront. Exponential and compounding (but I threw the minimum to see how it does). Will probably throw a few more $hundo just to see what it says.

My 401k looking decent. But holy shit this next year (COVID, new president) will be crazy. Civil war come soon
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am

I am curious about the whole economy being based on future profitability and if/when that will all :nuke:
It doesn't seem to matter anymore, and won't for a while because the rich are getting richer and have an incentive to keep things going up no matter what.

Tesla will be around for the long haul at this point. It's a global powerhouse, and thankfully it's success is forcing established OEMs to take note. I don't have a discussion about EVs at work without bringing Tesla innovations into the mix. The biggest thing there is tesla has a really high risk tolerance for pushing products and features out before they're fully vetted, letting people be beta testers and the world is ok with it. If Toyota, Honda, GM or Ford did that, they'd get ROASTED.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:09 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 pm

It doesn't seem to matter anymore, and won't for a while because the rich are getting richer and have an incentive to keep things going up no matter what.

Tesla will be around for the long haul at this point. It's a global powerhouse, and thankfully it's success is forcing established OEMs to take note. I don't have a discussion about EVs at work without bringing Tesla innovations into the mix. The biggest thing there is tesla has a really high risk tolerance for pushing products and features out before they're fully vetted, letting people be beta testers and the world is ok with it. If Toyota, Honda, GM or Ford did that, they'd get ROASTED.
Double standards keep the world turning.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

The market is so comedic levels of funny right now.
ChrisoftheNorth

09vdubgti wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 am The market is so comedic levels of funny right now.
Nothing makes sense. I am debating jumping on the GME train just for :lolol:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am
09vdubgti wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 am The market is so comedic levels of funny right now.
I literally started Robinhood this week with $100. I put 10 here, 20 there, 5 there...
I put $25 in GME yesterday and it grew to $70. I kept up with the Subreddit Wallstreetbets and they're ALL holding and buying.
So I put in $250 this morning. My plan was to only use the money I have in stocks to grow and buy more. Not to cash out and call it a day. This GME shit should rise till Friday from what I'm reading, and these people going nuts aren't backing down more as a principle to the hedge fund peeps to fuck them over. I can afford to lose this cash, but if it goes up I won't regret it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am
I literally started Robinhood this week with $100. I put 10 here, 20 there, 5 there...
I put $25 in GME yesterday and it grew to $70. I kept up with the Subreddit Wallstreetbets and they're ALL holding and buying.
So I put in $250 this morning. My plan was to only use the money I have in stocks to grow and buy more. Not to cash out and call it a day. This GME shit should rise till Friday from what I'm reading, and these people going nuts aren't backing down more as a principle to the hedge fund peeps to fuck them over. I can afford to lose this cash, but if it goes up I won't regret it.
Yea, I've been following that subreddit too. I've got cash to burn, so thinking about a YOLO moment with some of it. Better than letting is rot away to inflation in the savings account.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:25 am Yea, I've been following that subreddit too. I've got cash to burn, so thinking about a YOLO moment with some of it. Better than letting is rot away to inflation in the savings account.
Your Market Value
$354.44
Cost $272.79
Today‘s Return +$69.87 (+24.55%)
Total Return +$81.65 (+29.93%)

It's a weird time to get into stocks. Lol. I read up a ton last week, and then decided to start it up. I just wanted to buy some and watch it grow and move things around when I see trends in the market. More conservative and mid term. My 401K is my main investment but I wanted something to tinker with and learn from.
This shit hits out of nowhere. When I put my $25 in the other day I think it was at $80 a share. These guys on reddit are saying they think it'll go to $1000+ when the short sale guys are forced to buy back.
I dunno, but if I can grow my cash to double or triple, even with it being small, it'll give me a nice little boost to starting my stock experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:25 am Yea, I've been following that subreddit too. I've got cash to burn, so thinking about a YOLO moment with some of it. Better than letting is rot away to inflation in the savings account.
Your Market Value
$354.44
Cost $272.79
Today‘s Return +$69.87 (+24.55%)
Total Return +$81.65 (+29.93%)

It's a weird time to get into stocks. Lol. I read up a ton last week, and then decided to start it up. I just wanted to buy some and watch it grow and move things around when I see trends in the market. More conservative and mid term. My 401K is my main investment but I wanted something to tinker with and learn from.
This shit hits out of nowhere. When I put my $25 in the other day I think it was at $80 a share. These guys on reddit are saying they think it'll go to $1000+ when the short sale guys are forced to buy back.
I dunno, but if I can grow my cash to double or triple, even with it being small, it'll give me a nice little boost to starting my stock experience.
The reddit dudes talk a big game is it goes up, but we'll see what their risk tolerance is when it's not on a constant sky high trajectory. I don't think this is a stock you'd want to hold onto for long, the financials are garbage so this is just pure market manipulation.