Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:53 pm I thought AMC was a car company :mindblown;

@Chris, what happened with the farmers?
They held on for the "big squeeze" that's promised for all the meme stonks. They could have quadrupled their life savings by selling at the high this thread referenced, but nope. Haven't heard from them in a while, other than the dude texted me a few weeks ago asking what I thought his 2014 JK should be worth. Not a good sign.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:53 pm I thought AMC was a car company :mindblown;

@Chris, what happened with the farmers?
They held on for the "big squeeze" that's promised for all the meme stonks. They could have quadrupled their life savings by selling at the high this thread referenced, but nope. Haven't heard from them in a while, other than the dude texted me a few weeks ago asking what I thought his 2014 JK should be worth. Not a good sign.
Squeezing again today, no shares left to loan and its up 22% as of this post.

sundial down 10% tho. It will come back i bet.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 am

Still a far cry from $50 when I last told them to sell. They think it'll moon eventually, so they're happy waiting forever I guess. Just interesting to be gambling with money you can't really afford to lose.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 am

Still a far cry from $50 when I last told them to sell. They think it'll moon eventually, so they're happy waiting forever I guess. Just interesting to be gambling with money you can't really afford to lose.
Indeed. I dont think its going to moon. I should have sold at previous highs.

But I am literally gambling. I think i have 100 bucks in amc. I bought at an average of 8 or 10 a share iirc. so i am still in the black, and I can afford to ride it to zero should i choose.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:32 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:20 am

But I am literally gambling. I think i have 100 bucks in amc. I bought at an average of 8 or 10 a share iirc. so i am still in the black, and I can afford to ride it to zero should i choose.
I dumped stocks when I sold my :poorvette: , all the monies went to the cottage. I later proceeded to close the investment account, and have been slightly tempted to reopen again, but I just don't think I want to anymore. I may actually be happy without that investment piece in my life.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:32 am

I dumped stocks when I sold my :poorvette: , all the monies went to the cottage. I later proceeded to close the investment account, and have been slightly tempted to reopen again, but I just don't think I want to anymore. I may actually be happy without that investment piece in my life.
I started dabbling last year with money I don't really care about, and lost my ass so far. I'm OK admitting that I'm not an investor, and when I reach the point where I have enough cash to make it worth a financial advisor's time, I might reassess.

I like investing in real estate more, like you did. I think that's where my focus may shift, but not any time soon. At least inflation isn't hurting my money as much as my stock losses are now, so I'll just sit on the pile (not that much anyway) until an opportunity presents itself.
ChrisoftheNorth

Though, some of my investments have lost so much and are so cheap now, I've debating dumping more in to make up for some losses when the prices come back at some point. Still a long way to fall, but worth a consideration since I still believe in the fundamentals of why I invested in the companies I did. I just bought at the high after everyone including my parents told me I was dumb for staying out the market since it'll just go up forever.

:yeahok:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

AMC now up 40% on the day. :popcorn:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm AMC now up 40% on the day. :popcorn:
GME up 25%.

WTF is going on with meme stonks?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm AMC now up 40% on the day. :popcorn:
GME up 25%.

Short squeezing
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:03 pm
GME up 25%.

Short squeezing
:notsure: how that's possible right now. How can there still be that much short interest after a year plus?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:12 pm

Short squeezing
:notsure: how that's possible right now. How can there still be that much short interest after a year plus?
I'm no expert but i think the hedge funds are levered to the 9's on these and are....stupid. Not sure what the play is. Illegal shit likely going on, ie they are STILL overshored with darkpool fake shares and have to keep buying real shares to cover their tracks.

https://fintel.io/ss/us/amc
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm
I'm no expert but i think the hedge funds are levered to the 9's on these and are....stupid. Not sure what the play is. Illegal shit likely going on, ie they are STILL overshored with darkpool fake shares and have to keep buying real shares to cover their tracks.

https://fintel.io/ss/us/amc
Yea, 20% of float doesn't create a "short squeeze".

I just assume that the hedge funds have measures in place to ensure they don't lose. Which means the little guy doesn't win. Still doesn't explain the recent run of meme stonks (it must be benefiting some institution), but reality hasn't made sense to me in years, why should it start now?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:14 pm
reality hasn't made sense to me in years, why should it start now?
I have moments where I truly wonder if the simulation is testing me.

brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:52 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:14 pm
reality hasn't made sense to me in years, why should it start now?

as for the gif, love leon the professional.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What makes anyone think the “hedge funds” aren’t the ones riding this wave pumping up the sheeple to invest in the “squeeze” that’s literally the plot line of any fintech bro movie
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:59 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:52 am

as for the gif, love leon the professional.
I mean, if one does not like that movie, do you even like movies?
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:40 am

I started dabbling last year with money I don't really care about, and lost my ass so far. I'm OK admitting that I'm not an investor, and when I reach the point where I have enough cash to make it worth a financial advisor's time, I might reassess.

I like investing in real estate more, like you did. I think that's where my focus may shift, but not any time soon. At least inflation isn't hurting my money as much as my stock losses are now, so I'll just sit on the pile (not that much anyway) until an opportunity presents itself.
Taking that leap to more than one property is an interesting life experience. Money keeps getting dumped in which hits the disposable income aspect, but "on paper" the assets are accumulating net worth. So I guess I'm doing well, but feeling poor. Either way, I can't think of a better use for $120 grand in 2019.... Now I'm not so sure when I read about the impending :doom: thanks to rising interest rates, buyer fatigue, and whatever else spews out of the talking heads in the news.

If I were buying stocks now I'd probably spend 35% of my total cash hoard right away, splitting the difference between biggest losers, Rivian, and probably energy producers. Then another 30% on post-doom and gloom fallout, like anything that looks really beat up. The remainder would be spent on financial advisor type investments, or maybe gold or something... That's been a major non-starter for a decade and I believe that every horse has it's day.

Who knows doe, I'll probably never buy another stock unless the market absolutely tanks and sits in the gutter for a good long while. Then I can see myself dumping a sizable chunk that's well diversified.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Pros and Cons of Roth IRA vs just putting my money into a general investment account?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Pros and Cons of Roth IRA vs just putting my money into a general investment account?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm Pros and Cons of Roth IRA vs just putting my money into a general investment account?
If you’re ok with the 6k annual cap and not being able to access your money until you’re 59 1/2 then it’s great. As you’re not being double taxed on your money.

But you lose a lot of flexibility vs a traditional “investment” account
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Insinuation of a freeze to rate hikes being priced into the stock markets. I wonder if :doom: is being averted?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:44 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm Pros and Cons of Roth IRA vs just putting my money into a general investment account?
If you’re ok with the 6k annual cap and not being able to access your money until you’re 59 1/2 then it’s great. As you’re not being double taxed on your money.

Right I forgot about the 6k annual cap. I've got like 20k I need to do something with.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:44 pm

Right I forgot about the 6k annual cap. I've got like 20k I need to do something with.
Personal recommendation is to stay out of the market and sit on cash until 2023. The correction hasn’t really happened