Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:11 pm Hedge fund "lost" 13 billion... people lost 28B and counting...
That's the bitch of it.

But "lost" is only hypothetical. I'm curious to see how many bought above $100 and sold under like now. THAT'S real loss, and I doubt it's actually 28B.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 pm So did everyone here lose it all?
You only lose when you sell. Those of us that bought and haven't sold still own shares, and they have some bit of value. Not what many paid (like myself), but I actually think there's some potential for the price to reach a sustainable ~$100ish price in a few years if things work out right. Then I'd get half my money back :lolol: But, I'm not counting on it.

Situations like this you need to focus on the positives and don't repeat the same mistakes again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

DIAMOND HANDS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO $0!!
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 pm Image

DIAMOND HANDS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO $0!!
:dat: was my position when I bought the stock.

I LIKE THE STOCK
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:55 pm

That is a good perspective, I would've been all :rage:

I am happy that the hedge funders lost some billions :doe: , that is pretty :lolol: worthy. I'm sure someone cashed out at the right time and actually got rich as well, which is amusing to think about. I hope to someday meet someone in life that made millions in such a stupid way. It is rare but it does happen, I'd be curious to hear where life takes a person after that.
I was honest with myself when I got in...it was 100% gambling and when I bought the shares I assumed that money was flushed down the drain.

There's still people with huge gains who got in when the stock price was under $10. Those folks are in great positions, and some likely got rich by selling some options or something at the high.

I will say this.

I debated selling. I really did. But then I started digging into GameStop, and I do think there's potential there from a core business proposition. Ryan Cohen who started and sold Chewy bought up a bunch of GME last year to get on the board, and has been pushing to take the company more ecommerce and digital. Just today GameStop announced that they hired the former head of Amazon tech services as CTO. That's the type of person that could bring an ecommerce vision to life. They might have some ability to leverage their brick and mortar presence in a creative mix with digital, and gaming in general isn't going down...look at PS5/xBox/Switch sales...sold out everywhere. They are bleeding cash and the balance sheet is iffy, but the opportunity combined with a proven tech dude on the board, I think GameStop might actually have a bright future as a company. I doubt the shares will ever be worth what I paid, but I could very likely recover some losses by holding and letting the natural market drive up share price if the company ends up being successful. I can't touch this money for 24 years, so it's worth seeing what happens. I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

All those fuckers that got into AMC though, they're screwed. That company appears to be toast.
This is my plan. My buddy told me that he was going to invest last year when he found out that gamestop was trying to get into the competitive game streaming arena... then covid hit so he bailed. Now that they've hired a few people that can help them make some of this happen there's some potential for it to grow in the future. Might be worth it down the road.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:55 pm

That is a good perspective, I would've been all :rage:

I am happy that the hedge funders lost some billions :doe: , that is pretty :lolol: worthy. I'm sure someone cashed out at the right time and actually got rich as well, which is amusing to think about. I hope to someday meet someone in life that made millions in such a stupid way. It is rare but it does happen, I'd be curious to hear where life takes a person after that.
I was honest with myself when I got in...it was 100% gambling and when I bought the shares I assumed that money was flushed down the drain.

There's still people with huge gains who got in when the stock price was under $10. Those folks are in great positions, and some likely got rich by selling some options or something at the high.

I will say this.

I debated selling. I really did. But then I started digging into GameStop, and I do think there's potential there from a core business proposition. Ryan Cohen who started and sold Chewy bought up a bunch of GME last year to get on the board, and has been pushing to take the company more ecommerce and digital. Just today GameStop announced that they hired the former head of Amazon tech services as CTO. That's the type of person that could bring an ecommerce vision to life. They might have some ability to leverage their brick and mortar presence in a creative mix with digital, and gaming in general isn't going down...look at PS5/xBox/Switch sales...sold out everywhere. They are bleeding cash and the balance sheet is iffy, but the opportunity combined with a proven tech dude on the board, I think GameStop might actually have a bright future as a company. I doubt the shares will ever be worth what I paid, but I could very likely recover some losses by holding and letting the natural market drive up share price if the company ends up being successful. I can't touch this money for 24 years, so it's worth seeing what happens. I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

All those fuckers that got into AMC though, they're screwed. That company appears to be toast.
True, no reason it won't grow over time.

I wonder how all of this impacted people who work for GameStop. I've never been at a publicly traded company, seems like a wild ride.

My company is always talking of going public... I would honestly prefer it not be based on what I do know. It sounds like pressure goes up a lot in sales in those conditions. It would be cool to get some kind of share in it though.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:49 pm

I will say this.

This is my plan. My buddy told me that he was going to invest last year when he found out that gamestop was trying to get into the competitive game streaming arena... then covid hit so he bailed. Now that they've hired a few people that can help them make some of this happen there's some potential for it to grow in the future. Might be worth it down the road.
Yea, which is why it's wise to hold at this point. Nobody really owns e-commerce gaming on its own. Between the competitive gaming thing and massive brick and mortar presence, they could have something.

Imagine an Amazon purchase model where you can pick up any item imaginable in store the next day (or faster)...in gaming that could be huge.

There's opportunity and there's smart people working on it. We could recoup some losses eventually.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm

I will say this.

True, no reason it won't grow over time.

I wonder how all of this impacted people who work for GameStop. I've never been at a publicly traded company, seems like a wild ride.

My company is always talking of going public... I would honestly prefer it not be based on what I do know. It sounds like pressure goes up a lot in sales in those conditions. It would be cool to get some kind of share in it though.
I worked for a failing dot com bust auto website that was still public. Dealing with regulations and relentless push for quarterly profits and other :bs: as a result of being public just sucked.

That said, I have no clue what my employer's stock price is. Unless the company is trying to boost stock price with initiatives that won't play out but sound good to investors (GM getting out of ICE cars by 2035 :yeahok: )Day to day, it doesn't matter. Game Stop employees probably had no clue other than getting free tendies from a few random internet dudes I imagine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

So I sold all my OCGN shares today (5,200% gain since I bought)

Too bad I only put $20 into it, but now I need to find a place for the $1000 I got for selling.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:41 pm I also remind you all Game Stop is a failing business model, and is largely unpopular with the gaming community.
And for this reason, I am out.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So. We have this customer. Kicked ass for him, got him dismissed on a motion in some pretty complex litigation. This brother lives in a RITZY urban apartment in an undisclosed major city right next to Ron. Guy just wouldn't pay his bill for YEARS, crying poor (bill was not huge). We agree to a payment plan. I decide we're going to open a brokerage account completely dedicated to this clown's payment trickle. Right out of the box, I bought 110 shares of MGNI (Magnite), some kind of streaming television advertising business, for $6 and change in August Partly because I only had $750 from this asshat. This was a random "3 possible10 baggers" article pick in the Motley fool. That was like in August. Today it closed at 58.65. Without doubt the best stock pick I've ever had. I also have shares of another stock in the article which really hasn't done shit.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 pm So. We have this customer. Kicked ass for him, got him dismissed on a motion in some pretty complex litigation. This brother lives in a RITZY urban apartment in an undisclosed major city right next to Ron. Guy just wouldn't pay his bill for YEARS, crying poor (bill was not huge). We agree to a payment plan. I decide we're going to open a brokerage account completely dedicated to this clown's payment trickle. Right out of the box, I bought 110 shares of MGNI (Magnite), some kind of streaming television advertising business, for $6 and change in August Partly because I only had $750 from this asshat. This was a random "3 possible10 baggers" article pick in the Motley fool. That was like in August. Today it closed at 58.65. Without doubt the best stock pick I've ever had. I also have shares of another stock in the article which really hasn't done shit.
Nice grab!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 pm So. We have this customer. Kicked ass for him, got him dismissed on a motion in some pretty complex litigation. This brother lives in a RITZY urban apartment in an undisclosed major city right next to Ron. Guy just wouldn't pay his bill for YEARS, crying poor (bill was not huge). We agree to a payment plan. I decide we're going to open a brokerage account completely dedicated to this clown's payment trickle. Right out of the box, I bought 110 shares of MGNI (Magnite), some kind of streaming television advertising business, for $6 and change in August Partly because I only had $750 from this asshat. This was a random "3 possible10 baggers" article pick in the Motley fool. That was like in August. Today it closed at 58.65. Without doubt the best stock pick I've ever had. I also have shares of another stock in the article which really hasn't done shit.
Nice grab!
Pretty crazy.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm probably going to subscribe to the fool when I'm ready to dump some money in the market for real.

Might buy a boat first :doe: YOLO and whatnot.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wolf of Dirk Street.
Well done, Amigo.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:06 pm
Wolf of Dirk Street.
Well done, Amigo.
Zhukov is the trained killer. I just rolled the dice and got lucky
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

So.

Bitcoin.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:06 pm

Wolf of Dirk Street.
Well done, Amigo.
Zhukov is the trained killer. I just rolled the dice and got lucky
Definition of the stock market in general.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 am So.

Bitcoin.
Tesla threw 1.5B at it, so it's going to the moon now. Incredible vote of confidence in the currency, but I still don't get it. Bitcoin is almost as fake as wallstreet.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 am So.

Bitcoin.
Tesla threw 1.5B at it, so it's going to the moon now. Incredible vote of confidence in the currency, but I still don't get it. Bitcoin is almost as fake as wallstreet.
Musk also announced that he'll now take bitcoin as payment for a Tesla purchase.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Musk also announced that he'll now take bitcoin as payment for a Tesla purchase.
It might start the legitimization of BTC as a real currency. The hardest thing is volatility in the value will be a nightmare for corporate accounting. How do you price a vehicle in BTC, and if the value tanks, the company just lost money on that vehicle sale. On the flip, it could be very profitable.

I'm very interested in watching this unfold. Still not buying BTC, especially not now. I learned my lesson for jumping in at the top of any hype.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

+1
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 pm

It might start the legitimization of BTC as a real currency. The hardest thing is volatility in the value will be a nightmare for corporate accounting. How do you price a vehicle in BTC, and if the value tanks, the company just lost money on that vehicle sale. On the flip, it could be very profitable.

I'm very interested in watching this unfold. Still not buying BTC, especially not now. I learned my lesson for jumping in at the top of any hype.
I wonder if his $1.5B investment in BTC was an effort to stabilize it a bit. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 pm

I wonder if his $1.5B investment in BTC was an effort to stabilize it a bit. :iono:
Very likely, but I think it could have an inverse effect by making the price skyrocket with speculation of legitimacy. Overall I'm 100% :notsure:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:48 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Very likely, but I think it could have an inverse effect by making the price skyrocket with speculation of legitimacy. Overall I'm 100% :notsure:
Well if that happens he can just cash out with a nice profit to pump up his car business. :evilplan: