Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am Those are the taxes on its old $200k sale price. The next :derp: who buys it for $300k will be paying $1200 a month in taxes. Fuck. That. Shit.
Agree. That's insanity. Especially for what you "get".

Also just looked up income and sales taxes. NY makes zero sense. But I understand the whole career advancement thing. That's why I live in Meatchicken and deal with all the same issues along with insane car insurance cost.
The only thing I can find that's cheaper in NY is vehicle registration+tax. Everything else is more or a lot more than here. Maybe she'll magically end up with a big raise, but after a year and a half of hunting for any offer whatsoever I am expecting exactly zero more dollars - so a net pay cut after taxes.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am dang, :notbad:

fresh face on good bones :pinshit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Br ... lpage=true

Flat roofed houses are cool places to look at. I ain't buying one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 am
Detroit wrote: Agree. That's insanity. Especially for what you "get".

Also just looked up income and sales taxes. NY makes zero sense. But I understand the whole career advancement thing. That's why I live in Meatchicken and deal with all the same issues along with insane car insurance cost.
The only thing I can find that's cheaper in NY is vehicle registration+tax. Everything else is more or a lot more than here. Maybe she'll magically end up with a big raise, but after a year and a half of hunting for any offer whatsoever I am expecting exactly zero more dollars - so a net pay cut after taxes.
Well, being at the HQ should open her up to more opportunities for advancement. Maybe not flat-out raises, but promotions to new levels of responsibility and whatnot. Especially with her experience at different manufacturing facilities, it seems to me that she should have solid opportunity if she makes the right connections.

It'll probably be a pay cut for a while, but I bet it'll be the right move in the long run.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 am The only thing I can find that's cheaper in NY is vehicle registration+tax. Everything else is more or a lot more than here. Maybe she'll magically end up with a big raise, but after a year and a half of hunting for any offer whatsoever I am expecting exactly zero more dollars - so a net pay cut after taxes.
Well, being at the HQ should open her up to more opportunities for advancement. Maybe not flat-out raises, but promotions to new levels of responsibility and whatnot. Especially with her experience at different manufacturing facilities, it seems to me that she should have solid opportunity if she makes the right connections.

It'll probably be a pay cut for a while, but I bet it'll be the right move in the long run.
That's the idea. Blow another 5-10 years in a shithole, then hopefully be in a position to determine our own destiny. By the time we hit 45 maybe we can live somewhere enjoyable, if there's anywhere left on the planet that hasn't been infected by xenophobia. :eeyore:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 am
Detroit wrote: Well, being at the HQ should open her up to more opportunities for advancement. Maybe not flat-out raises, but promotions to new levels of responsibility and whatnot. Especially with her experience at different manufacturing facilities, it seems to me that she should have solid opportunity if she makes the right connections.

That's the idea. Blow another 5-10 years in a shithole, then hopefully be in a position to determine our own destiny. By the time we hit 45 maybe we can live somewhere enjoyable, if there's anywhere left on the planet that hasn't been infected by xenophobia. :eeyore:
Maybe global warming will make NY and MI the new best places to live in 5-10 year. Then we'll have the last laugh!

:yeahok: :wrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Good luck, Troy. My mom would help but she’s tied up as we speak.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 am That's the idea. Blow another 5-10 years in a shithole, then hopefully be in a position to determine our own destiny. By the time we hit 45 maybe we can live somewhere enjoyable, if there's anywhere left on the planet that hasn't been infected by xenophobia. :eeyore:
Maybe global warming will make NY and MI the new best places to live in 5-10 year. Then we'll have the last laugh!

Imageol:

Gotta burn all the coal to make the rust belt great again. That's a brilliant strategy. Flood out the coastal elites and make texas uninhabitably hot. Heartland murica is playing the long game, 4D chess style.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 am
Detroit wrote:Maybe global warming will make NY and MI the new best places to live in 5-10 year. Then we'll have the last laugh!

Imageol:

Gotta burn all the coal to make the rust belt great again. That's a brilliant strategy. Flood out the coastal elites and make texas uninhabitably hot. Heartland murica is playing the long game, 4D chess style.
:dat: :mindblown:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am The next :derp: who buys it for $300k will be paying $1200 a month in taxes. Fuck. That. Shit.
:dat:

as to your original question:

Sell what you can. We did this when my wife moved in with me.
Patio furniture, inside shit, clothes, etc etc. Sell or goodwill (or similar) for tax write off. Have a garage/moving sale.

As a last resort put to the curb and post a curb alert on the list of craig...and wait for trash day.

Car shit/tools.... unless you have nice ass tool boxes I'd sell them and just go back to poverty tool box life. I worked out of three tool boxes that took up 4 cubic feet for YEARS just fine. Sure my setup now is nicer, but I don't NEED it all.

Lawn shit, sell if going with an apt.

Lastly...throw away. If you com up on shit you aint touched since your last move ~5 years back.... just throw. it. away.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 am

looks like a single pitch to me.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

"low sloped"
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:31 am Good luck, Troy. My mom would help but she’s tied up as we speak.
:howdareu: tie your mother up in your apartment as a slave.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:31 am Good luck, Troy. My mom would help but she’s tied up as we speak.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

She mentioned “stop paying for my car”
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

:idbu:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Oh shit man, well first off congrats!

Secondly, storage units, dedicated storage room in the townhouse, there are options. I went from a two bedroom house to a single bedroom apartment, I had shelves full of shit, but it worked.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am

"low sloped"
I guess that's better but still not worth it to me. Water is still going to pool around leaves and snow. It'll find a way.

They are beautiful with floor to ceiling windows doe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am

This is :neat:

Still, I'd rent in this market. Not a great time to buy or sell TBH.
I’d rent because he doesn’t seem to want to go there so that tells me it’s temporary anyway.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Id love to live in a house with a conversation pit with a fire place and floor to ceiling windows.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am The next :derp: who buys it for $300k will be paying $1200 a month in taxes. Fuck. That. Shit.

Patio furniture, inside shit, clothes, etc etc. Sell or goodwill (or similar) for tax write off. Have a garage/moving sale.

As a last resort put to the curb and post a curb alert on the list of craig...and wait for trash day.

Car shit/tools.... unless you have nice ass tool boxes I'd sell them and just go back to poverty tool box life. I worked out of three tool boxes that took up 4 cubic feet for YEARS just fine. Sure my setup now is nicer, but I don't NEED it all.

Lastly...throw away. If you com up on shit you aint touched since your last move ~5 years back.... just throw. it. away.
Yep all this.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

:doomed:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

FWIW, when I moved from my house to a townhouse and then from that to a smaller apartment, the phone apps OfferUp and LetGo were much better for selling stuff I wanted to get rid of than Craigslist was. Not as many people wanting to haggle you down in price.
troyguitar

I remember you mentioning your toolbox thing before and I'm quite :notsure: how that works. A jack, jack stands, and ramps have to take up at least 4 cu ft alone without any other tools. Add in two sets of summer/winter tarz because upstate NY and you're looking at a pretty large volume of crap to even be able to minimally work on cars. I get the general idea :doe: and have really been spending the past year or so selling/giving/throwing away tons of stuff.

At this point I'm even considering selling the :wankel: and replacing it with... nothing. I could chauffeur the wife to/from work in her car for <1 hr per day and have it to get my own shit done the rest of the time. :scrooge: to the max.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

If public transit is good there, scrooging with one car is a solid idea.

Get an STI man! AWTroy
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

I remember you mentioning your toolbox thing before and I'm quite :notsure: how that works. A jack, jack stands, and ramps have to take up at least 4 cu ft alone without any other tools. Add in two sets of summer/winter tarz because upstate NY and you're looking at a pretty large volume of crap to even be able to minimally work on cars. I get the general idea :doe: and have really been spending the past year or so selling/giving/throwing away tons of stuff.

At this point I'm even considering selling the :wankel: and replacing it with... nothing. I could chauffeur the wife to/from work in her car for <1 hr per day and have it to get my own shit done the rest of the time. :scrooge: to the max.
you are right, that jack and jackstands add to that. But still...even adding those in you are looking at something the volume of a large tote.

FWIW, i didn't have a jack and jackstands for a long time and lived that thug life working with a scissor jack. my 'jackstand' IE, anti-brad-crushing-device was the tire. Continued to do this even when i got a jack.

re: one car scrooge life, eh, if you think you can tolerate it why not?
brain go brrrrrr