Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:46 am If public transit is good there, scrooging with one car is a solid idea.
I don't think there is any public transit whatsoever but I could be :wrong: as usual.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am
Melon wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:46 am If public transit is good there, scrooging with one car is a solid idea.
I don't think there is any public transit whatsoever but I could be :wrong: as usual.
:balls:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

I remember you mentioning your toolbox thing before and I'm quite :notsure: how that works. A jack, jack stands, and ramps have to take up at least 4 cu ft alone without any other tools. Add in two sets of summer/winter tarz because upstate NY and you're looking at a pretty large volume of crap to even be able to minimally work on cars. I get the general idea :doe: and have really been spending the past year or so selling/giving/throwing away tons of stuff.

At this point I'm even considering selling the :wankel: and replacing it with... nothing. I could chauffeur the wife to/from work in her car for <1 hr per day and have it to get my own shit done the rest of the time. :scrooge: to the max.
you are right, that jack and jackstands add to that. But still...even adding those in you are looking at something the volume of a large tote.

FWIW, i didn't have a jack and jackstands for a long time and lived that thug life working with a scissor jack. my 'jackstand' IE, anti-brad-crushing-device was the tire. Continued to do this even when i got a jack.

re: one car scrooge life, eh, if you think you can tolerate it why not?
I was thinking that her car is probably nicer/better than anything I'd want to buy for myself, so it might be a good call to buy nothing. Most cars will only get cheaper in another year anyway, unless they're air-cooled.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 am

:howdareu: tie your mother up in your apartment as a slave.
She mentioned “stop paying for my car”
:triggered: :rudy:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 am

:dat:

as to your original question:

Sell what you can. We did this when my wife moved in with me.
Patio furniture, inside shit, clothes, etc etc. Sell or goodwill (or similar) for tax write off. Have a garage/moving sale.

As a last resort put to the curb and post a curb alert on the list of craig...and wait for trash day.

Car shit/tools.... unless you have nice ass tool boxes I'd sell them and just go back to poverty tool box life. I worked out of three tool boxes that took up 4 cubic feet for YEARS just fine. Sure my setup now is nicer, but I don't NEED it all.

Lawn shit, sell if going with an apt.

Lastly...throw away. If you com up on shit you aint touched since your last move ~5 years back.... just throw. it. away.
I remember you mentioning your toolbox thing before and I'm quite :notsure: how that works. A jack, jack stands, and ramps have to take up at least 4 cu ft alone without any other tools. Add in two sets of summer/winter tarz because upstate NY and you're looking at a pretty large volume of crap to even be able to minimally work on cars. I get the general idea :doe: and have really been spending the past year or so selling/giving/throwing away tons of stuff.

At this point I'm even considering selling the :wankel: and replacing it with... nothing. I could chauffeur the wife to/from work in her car for <1 hr per day and have it to get my own shit done the rest of the time. :scrooge: to the max.
I see no downside to living the one car lyfe for a little while to see how it goes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

There must be townhouse rentals available with at least a one car garage, no? Seems like that would be optimal for you. :iono:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Have you been checking Craigslist for apartments? That's actually where I found the most success when I got my first apt back in 2010. Just a regular guy that a second house he turned into a duplex and rented out on his own. 2 bedroom 1 bath. Had access to the unfinished basement for storage. No garage but a big driveway
troyguitar

wap wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm There must be townhouse rentals available with at least a one car garage, no? Seems like that would be optimal for you. :iono:
Possibly, looks like a solid 50% or more price increase for the ones I have seen so far but details aren't very clear without contacting agents. Granted you also get a nicer place with access to a pool and shit, but you also end up further from town so you really NEED that garage because you will drive everywhere. The :scrooge: place in town has Dunkin and a bar/grill place next door and the rest of town mostly within walking distance. :waxer: places with possible garage access are 2-10 miles out in the sticks.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm
wap wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm There must be townhouse rentals available with at least a one car garage, no? Seems like that would be optimal for you. :iono:
Possibly, looks like a solid 50% or more price increase for the ones I have seen so far but details aren't very clear without contacting agents. Granted you also get a nicer place with access to a pool and shit, but you also end up further from town so you really NEED that garage because you will drive everywhere. The :scrooge: place in town has Dunkin and a bar/grill place next door and the rest of town mostly within walking distance. :waxer: places with possible garage access are 2-10 miles out in the sticks.
:word:
You gotta look at all the numbers and variables and make some decisions on what is worth it and what isn't. :math:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am dang, :notbad:

fresh face on good bones :pinshit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Br ... lpage=true

This is :neat:

Still, I'd rent in this market. Not a great time to buy or sell TBH.
Check it out on street view. Flat roof, skylights everywhere, and that nice "backyard oasis" is a farce because it's a triangle lot so you have roads on 2 sides, so you're looking right out to the road that's 20' away. Would need a fence or something for privacy.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm
That doesn't sound very convenient.
Johnny_P

you are right, that jack and jackstands add to that. But still...even adding those in you are looking at something the volume of a large tote.

FWIW, i didn't have a jack and jackstands for a long time and lived that thug life working with a scissor jack. my 'jackstand' IE, anti-brad-crushing-device was the tire. Continued to do this even when i got a jack.

As long as you're not rebuilding engines...
Jack, jack stands (optional, could just use poverty tire method), socket set, and a smallish plastic toolbox of honestly mostly home repair tools, that works for me. I have a second toolbox for bicycle specific stuff.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Jack, jack stands (optional, could just use poverty tire method), socket set, and a smallish plastic toolbox of honestly mostly home repair tools, that works for me. I have a second toolbox for bicycle specific stuff.
I have a small HF aluminum jack, some jack stands, and my decent size plastic toolbox at the apartment. Will handle pretty much anything I would want to do around the apartment/in the parking lot.
Johnny_P

Pubic transit: http://www.rideceats.com/index.php/en/schedules
Route 3 and 4 look rather inclusive.

Looks like there is at least an option. One car could work if you're living in the town grid system. I like having my own car but if I didn't need it I'd probably get rid of it. Could work.

I lived out of a 700 sq ft apartment for 4 years with my cat, AMA. Lived in an apartment in college with my wheels stacked up in the corner of the dining room NFG. Purge the unnecessary shit and if you need something again later, well go out and buy whatever that thing is. It's a little wasteful but if you don't have the space you don't have much option.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I have a small HF aluminum jack, some jack stands, and my decent size plastic toolbox at the apartment. Will handle pretty much anything I would want to do around the apartment/in the parking lot.
Spark plugs, minor repairs, suspension, all possibru with just that. :iono:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm Possibly, looks like a solid 50% or more price increase for the ones I have seen so far but details aren't very clear without contacting agents. Granted you also get a nicer place with access to a pool and shit, but you also end up further from town so you really NEED that garage because you will drive everywhere. The :scrooge: place in town has Dunkin and a bar/grill place next door and the rest of town mostly within walking distance. :waxer: places with possible garage access are 2-10 miles out in the sticks.
That doesn't sound very convenient.
It's convenient when it has guaranteed assigned parking spaces and costs less than living further out - you generally get neither of those in a real city. I'd still drive most places most of the time :doe: - ain't no :mahtroy: walking a mile each way with groceries when it's 0 or 90 out half the year.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm :dat:
It's not so much a question of what's possible with a small amount of tools/space, but what to do with the large amount of tools and parts that I already have bought and come to expect to have on hand. Something as simple as hooking a battery up to a trickle charger becomes near impossible - or any kind of work that takes more than a few hours really. Not to mention weather and lighting issues. That's why I'm thinking it might be better to just go full :alpo: :crang: :wap: and pay people to do most work.

Sell/give away most of the big yet cheap tools, pack the rest up in a Tetris-like compact series of containers to likely sit unused. Spend time working on generating real profit vs :plac: profit.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
It's not so much a question of what's possible with a small amount of tools/space, but what to do with the large amount of tools and parts that I already have bought and come to expect to have on hand. Something as simple as hooking a battery up to a trickle charger becomes near impossible - or any kind of work that takes more than a few hours really. Not to mention weather and lighting issues. That's why I'm thinking it might be better to just go full :alpo: :crang: :wap: and pay people to do most work.

Sell/give away most of the big yet cheap tools, pack the rest up in a Tetris-like compact series of containers to likely sit unused. Spend time working on generating real profit vs :plac: profit.
That’s what I do any why vehicle reliability is high on my list of wants.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am Property taxes are a bitch. They're crazy in Michigan too. It's just the name of the game in some states, unfortunately. IN THEORY other taxes should be less to offset...sales and income, but that's not the case in Michigan. This state blows.

I dunno man, I really think renting for a while is a good strategy for you. Get a 2-bed so you can setup one room as an office/music room/game room and just live the :aintcare: lyfe. You've been talking seriously about getting out of cars, now is the time. Just sell all the crap and throw out what you can't. I'd at least try to keep tools :doe:
:dat: is what we're doing. Allison is going to cash in on like $50k of equity - she legit put zero down on the place and will have gotten paid to live in it. We're going to rent a mediocre place in a great area and sit back and hope property values :nuke: for a year or two, while trying to save some money and enjoy the :millennial: walkability life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I don't have the tools/do the full level of stuff :mahtroy: does, but I've only taken the :poorvette: to a shop twice in 4.5 years - once for coding out the mag shocks and once for alignment. Everything else I've done in my parking space/driveway with tools that I kept at my rental place. It's definitely not ideal, but it can be done. Can you build a full on racecar? No. But it doesn't mean you need to give up everything you enjoy.

We do have less shitty weather though...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am
D Griff wrote:At least the Finger Lakes area is pretty... But man, that is not great news. Why is it :waxer: ? It's in the middle of nowhere?

Does your wife "need" a really modern/fancy place. I've found in Charlotte you can rent a house for the same price as an apartment if it's older, sadly my woman "needs" the fancy kitchen and shit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I'm the one who "needs" modern because I have to do all of the yard and :haus: work, so renting a big old place with a big yard that's work to maintain and :waxer: to heat is kind of a :nope: to me. Old places are :disgust: in general to me - poor hvac, terribly insulated, shitty wiring, tiny rooms.

Storage units seem to be around $2000 a year, people really blow that kind of money to keep stuff? I'm :notsure: that would be worthwhile for even a one year lease. That's like buying an entire Harbor Freight.
When my boss got his office sold moved some of his stuff into his home office. I once helped him loading remainder of the stuff into the storage, this lady walks in and asked “how long you’ve been in here?” He said “only 2 months”, and she went “psfft i’ve been here for 12 years” :lol: so yeah pretty much, might as well use that money to find a better/more spacious home.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

First things first, assuming you’re moving there cause of work (duh)? And therefore looking at a particular location where both of you guys end up in a short commute?

Question is
How far are you and your wife are willing to commute?
Is there another possibility where you can find places about say 15-20 miles away from corning, where housing is cheaper, but more bang for your buck? Even though commute may take out some time, putting miles on the car, frequent fillups, etc. but cost savings or finding a place thats closer to your liking to an affordable price would probably outweigh more than the minimal costs that will make a noticeable difference in the long run. I know a lot of people that commute 30 miles one way away from the dc metro (5 miles away from dc itself) to work, because they could not afford the housing thats closer, and willing to waste some time in traffic. Heck townhouses without garages here cost $300k at minimum

Also some townhouses have a back door thru fence to access the yard. For big items, i’d probably keep them in the yard, and make sure to put a cover on top, or find a small plastic storage off home depot. I remember seeing a lot of garage stuff at your home in KY, so it may only help up to an extent. If the townhouse is 3 floors, i’d use the basement for the remainder of the stuff, but thats just me.

Just food for thought
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Pubic transit: http://www.rideceats.com/index.php/en/schedules
Route 3 and 4 look rather inclusive.

Looks like there is at least an option. One car could work if you're living in the town grid system. I like having my own car but if I didn't need it I'd probably get rid of it. Could work.

I lived out of a 700 sq ft apartment for 4 years with my cat, AMA. Lived in an apartment in college with my wheels stacked up in the corner of the dining room NFG. Purge the unnecessary shit and if you need something again later, well go out and buy whatever that thing is. It's a little wasteful but if you don't have the space you don't have much option.
:dat: one of my friends just recently moved to dc, and he pays parking for $250 a month, thats a whole lotta :nope: for me. Just for preffering to have my car alone, theres no way in hell i would pay a car payment to park my car and have to settle to live slightly outside of dc with cheap uber if i wanna :millennial: :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote:First things first, assuming you’re moving there cause of work (duh)? And therefore looking at a particular location where both of you guys end up in a short commute?

Question is
How far are you and your wife are willing to commute?
Is there another possibility where you can find places about say 15-20 miles away from corning, where housing is cheaper, but more bang for your buck? Even though commute may take out some time, putting miles on the car, frequent fillups, etc. but cost savings or finding a place thats closer to your liking to an affordable price would probably outweigh more than the minimal costs that will make a noticeable difference in the long run. I know a lot of people that commute 30 miles one way away from the dc metro (5 miles away from dc itself) to work, because they could not afford the housing thats closer, and willing to waste some time in traffic. Heck townhouses without garages here cost $300k at minimum

Also some townhouses have a back door thru fence to access the yard. For big items, i’d probably keep them in the yard, and make sure to put a cover on top, or find a small plastic storage off home depot. I remember seeing a lot of garage stuff at your home in KY, so it may only help up to an extent. If the townhouse is 3 floors, i’d use the basement for the remainder of the stuff, but thats just me.

Just food for thought
Some townhouses do have workable space. One nice thing with the Northeast is that even small places have basements which could hold tools/workshop and even music stuff. I would look for a rental that can accommodate that, the rental market ain't hot, plenty of inventory in most places to find something workable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am Property taxes are a bitch. They're crazy in Michigan too. It's just the name of the game in some states, unfortunately. IN THEORY other taxes should be less to offset...sales and income, but that's not the case in Michigan. This state blows.

I dunno man, I really think renting for a while is a good strategy for you. Get a 2-bed so you can setup one room as an office/music room/game room and just live the :aintcare: lyfe. You've been talking seriously about getting out of cars, now is the time. Just sell all the crap and throw out what you can't. I'd at least try to keep tools :doe:
:dat: is what we're doing. Allison is going to cash in on like $50k of equity - she legit put zero down on the place and will have gotten paid to live in it. We're going to rent a mediocre place in a great area and sit back and hope property values :nuke: for a year or two, while trying to save some money and enjoy the :millennial: walkability life.
Doing it right IMO. Too much volatility in all markets to make a real estate commitment right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.