Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 am 15 year is worse unless you assume an extended recession without a job loss - i.e. the house depreciates less than other investments yet you can still make the payments. Throwing extra money at a low interest loan on a depreciating asset isn't helpful.
word
razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am All signs are pointing to not buying a house and you tell yourself you keep making life's worst decisions. This is one of them, in my opinion. House is not an investment there. Rent at $1200 for a 1/1 is NOT NYC rent pricing. I have friends that live in NYC they pay $2,600 for a 500sq.ft studio.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am All signs are pointing to not buying a house and you tell yourself you keep making life's worst decisions. This is one of them, in my opinion. House is not an investment there. Rent at $1200 for a 1/1 is NOT NYC rent pricing. I have friends that live in NYC they pay $2,600 for a 500sq.ft studio.
One of my oldest friends lives in Jersey City in a converted brownstone, ground floor (of 4) 1100 sq/ft 1 bed 1 bath (with standing shower, no tub), for $4300/mo.

Move in was first and last month's rent plus one month security deposit, and a $2500 broker's fee. It was over $15k to move in.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm
One of my oldest friends lives in Jersey City in a converted brownstone, ground floor (of 4) 1100 sq/ft 1 bed 1 bath (with standing shower, no tub), for $4300/mo.

Move in was first and last month's rent plus one month security deposit, and a $2500 broker's fee. It was over $15k to move in.
:ludacris:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm

:thisisfine:
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm Troy, what work do you do now and are there those opportunities in Cornhole? Sounds like settling on where to live will be a tough decision. GLWT
I do :derp: front end web stuff for peanuts, the most likely path forward from Corning is to switch to more involved back end stuff and get a junior dev position with a bigger company at an NYC-area office - then rent a studio there and commute 4 hrs each way on the weekends long enough to establish credibility and switch back to working remotely for a decent salary. There are no local opportunities.
How good is the internet in the homes that you are looking at? That may be a big factor in deciding, since financials on picking the house aside, if your net is 500kb/s and you plan to work remote, that may be a no-go.

What the other guys are saying about career may be worth checking out though, the DC area is at least cheaper than NYC and if you don't mind the commute, you can get a place outside the city in MD/VA and commute to a metro, if not the city directly. Plus most of the area has fiber and has a bunch of tech growth, especially around Reston, VA and soon with Amazon in Alexandria.
troyguitar

SaxyJeep wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm

I do :derp: front end web stuff for peanuts, the most likely path forward from Corning is to switch to more involved back end stuff and get a junior dev position with a bigger company at an NYC-area office - then rent a studio there and commute 4 hrs each way on the weekends long enough to establish credibility and switch back to working remotely for a decent salary. There are no local opportunities.
How good is the internet in the homes that you are looking at? That may be a big factor in deciding, since financials on picking the house aside, if your net is 500kb/s and you plan to work remote, that may be a no-go.

What the other guys are saying about career may be worth checking out though, the DC area is at least cheaper than NYC and if you don't mind the commute, you can get a place outside the city in MD/VA and commute to a metro, if not the city directly. Plus most of the area has fiber and has a bunch of tech growth, especially around Reston, VA and soon with Amazon in Alexandria.
Corning makes most of the fiber but I doubt it's actually available in Corning. :thanksobama:

AFAIK it's the same garbage Spectrum cable that we have as our sole option in KY at $70/mo for 20/1 Mbps service that cuts out often.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Corning makes most of the fiber but I doubt it's actually available in Corning. :thanksobama:

AFAIK it's the same garbage Spectrum cable that we have as our sole option in KY at $70/mo for 20/1 Mbps service that cuts out often.
Highway robbery.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

:dat:

With electric trimmers it'd be pretty quick and easy.
:notsure:

There's :fancy: landscaping throughout the whole property. That's probably ~20 hours a week year round counting the interior maintenance and snow removal from the yuuuge driveway, patio, and deck.
Ha, wow man. No "dramatic downsizing" there. You have to admit you are looking at that three car garage with lust. Reserve one space for a mancondo with pool table and riding mower. Depending on your anal retentiveness I tend to fall more on your side of the landscaping equation that all of these sunshine blowers doe. Fking TON of house for 189K doe.

Lipstick on the pig: I have pruned my last bush but a badass snowblower and a riding mower are still power tools I would operate with great gusto.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

:notsure:

There's :fancy: landscaping throughout the whole property. That's probably ~20 hours a week year round counting the interior maintenance and snow removal from the yuuuge driveway, patio, and deck.
Ha, wow man. No "dramatic downsizing" there. You have to admit you are looking at that three car garage with lust. Reserve one space for a mancondo with pool table and riding mower. Depending on your anal retentiveness I tend to fall more on your side of the landscaping equation that all of these sunshine blowers doe. Fking TON of house for 189K doe.

Lipstick on the pig: I have pruned my last bush but a badass snowblower and a riding mower are still power tools I would operate with great gusto.
The garage and commute are the only reasons I don't instantly :nope: on it - that and the lack of other decent options. This :haus: remains the most logical option:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/86-W ... lpage=true

But with the super high taxes it ends up costing about the same to own as the garaj mahal place, and this is the alley/driveway that you'd be using:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1373176 ... 312!8i6656

The little white garage on the left with the black :truk: outside it is the one that you get, on that beautifully paved alley which I'd guess is also never plowed/salted in the winter.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

The garage and commute are the only reasons I don't instantly :nope: on it - that and the lack of other decent options. This :haus: remains the most logical option:

But with the super high taxes it ends up costing about the same to own as the garaj mahal place, and this is the alley/driveway that you'd be using:

The little white garage on the left with the black :truk: outside it is the one that you get, on that beautifully paved alley which I'd guess is also never plowed/salted in the winter.
Then what makes it the most logical? Garage Mahal is also HOUSE Mahal. Beautiful easyflow layout, beautiful kitchen. It's a nice fking place dude. If it checked out on inspection where you weren't looking down the gun barrel of any majors, I'm going to lay it out here.......there is a thing called happiness. Think about 3 years in Garage Mahal vs. the "logical" one. Logical for who? Ben Franklin? Because it looks like it was built about his era. The rooms are tiny, the layout is full 17th century, the kitchen blows, and the garage is full poverty, although less so that no garage. "About the same cost?" Garage Mahal it is.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Then what makes it the most logical? Garage Mahal is also HOUSE Mahal. Beautiful easyflow layout, beautiful kitchen. It's a nice fking place dude. If it checked out on inspection where you weren't looking down the gun barrel of any majors, I'm going to lay it out here.......there is a thing called happiness. Think about 3 years in Garage Mahal vs. the "logical" one. Logical for who? Ben Franklin? Because it looks like it was built about his era. The rooms are tiny, the layout is full 17th century, the kitchen blows, and the garage is full poverty, although less so that no garage. "About the same cost?" Garage Mahal it is.
troyguitar

Basically our realtor has shown that place several times over the past year and said that it looks way better in the photos than it does in person, hence it still being for sale. Like the :fax: man said, the finishing on most of it is a combination of old and amateur hour. Nothing big is needed but you'd end up touching probably everything except for the kitchen counters over the course of 5 years.

The smaller place has: less shit to work on and heat/cool, better flooring, much more desirable location within the city means it'll be way easier to resell with less chance of a massive loss, is actually walking distance to :rudy: crap, and it has a ground floor bedroom. When the wife's autoimmune stuff flares up she can get to the point where stairs are nearly impossible. It has only happened for a total of maybe a few weeks in 10 years, but you never know - it could come back tomorrow and last years.

The smartest money move all around is to rent the cheap apartment and :dealwithit: being crappy, but I've decided I'm too old for that shit. I need to be able to crank the central AC and the Dio CD's to 11, not sit next to my window AC with earbuds on.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Basically our realtor has shown that place several times over the past year and said that it looks way better in the photos than it does in person, hence it still being for sale. Like the :fax: man said, the finishing on most of it is a combination of old and amateur hour. Nothing big is needed but you'd end up touching probably everything except for the kitchen counters over the course of 5 years.

The smaller place has: less shit to work on and heat/cool, better flooring, much more desirable location within the city means it'll be way easier to resell with less chance of a massive loss, is actually walking distance to :rudy: crap, and it has a ground floor bedroom. When the wife's autoimmune stuff flares up she can get to the point where stairs are nearly impossible. It has only happened for a total of maybe a few weeks in 10 years, but you never know - it could come back tomorrow and last years.

The smartest money move all around is to rent the cheap apartment and :dealwithit: being crappy, but I've decided I'm too old for that shit. I need to be able to crank the central AC and the Dio CD's to 11, not sit next to my window AC with earbuds on.
Of course it is, but you keep saying things like "5 years." 5 years is a long time. I understand the Garage Mahal was not finished by Bob Villa. I share the fax man's (and probably everyone else on here's) aversion to cheap improvements. Who cares? Get a caulk gun and some paint. THREE CAR GARAGE. Play your Dio in that nasty bitch. Painted Post still looks pretty damn close to Corning. And didn't you just say your wife was pushing it? If you can't choke down an apartment, this is your house. There is no such thing as a "massive loss" when the whole goddam thing starts at $175K? How massive could it be? Can't argue with the autoimmune issues doe. The rise will be less on the GM house vs. Ben Franklin, which appear to go straight up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, while I think we all fundamentally agree renting is the smart financial play, there's only so much "fax man" we can do. If Brad took his own advice he'd be living in an Airstream on Ray Ray's property, waiting for the next economic catastrophe with his guns and his god watching porn. But he's not, is he? He built a lovely home for himself, his wife and his CF. And as far as I can tell, it contributes pretty positively towards his short stay on this rock. Lowball those fuckers on the Garage Mahal.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm Also, while I think we all fundamentally agree renting is the smart financial play, there's only so much "fax man" we can do. If Brad took his own advice he'd be living in an Airstream on Ray Ray's property, waiting for the next economic catastrophe with his guns and his god watching porn. But he's not, is he? He built a lovely home for himself, his wife and his CF. And as far as I can tell, it contributes pretty positively towards his short stay on this rock. Lowball those fuckers on the Garage Mahal.
It'd be a tiny house, i have fucking standards.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Of course it is, but you keep saying things like "5 years." 5 years is a long time. I understand the Garage Mahal was not finished by Bob Villa. I share the fax man's (and probably everyone else on here's) aversion to cheap improvements. Who cares? Get a caulk gun and some paint. THREE CAR GARAGE. Play your Dio in that nasty bitch. Painted Post still looks pretty damn close to Corning. And didn't you just say your wife was pushing it? If you can't choke down an apartment, this is your house. There is no such thing as a "massive loss" when the whole goddam thing starts at $175K? How massive could it be? Can't argue with the autoimmune issues doe. The rise will be less on the GM house vs. Ben Franklin, which appear to go straight up.
5 years being a long time is a large part of this. It'll probably take at least 5 years before I can generate the combination of income and free time which would be required to actually use and ENJOY having a three car garage... by which time we'll probably have moved to a $675k shack with no garage outside Portland or some other shithole.

Recall that my one car is for sale - with plans to replace it not with 2 cars but with zero. Staring at the giant empty garage thinking about how great it could be if only we had more money/time seems like it could be more torture than anything.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 pm

5 years being a long time is a large part of this. It'll probably take at least 5 years before I can generate the combination of income and free time which would be required to actually use and ENJOY having a three car garage... by which time we'll probably have moved to a $675k shack with no garage outside Portland or some other shithole.

Recall that my one car is for sale - with plans to replace it not with 2 cars but with zero. Staring at the giant empty garage thinking about how great it could be if only we had more money/time seems like it could be more torture than anything.
Change the plan. In all seriousness I understand funds are not unlimited so I get it. One stall in the garage could be for a riding mower, snow blower and a decent used snowmobile.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Change the plan. In all seriousness I understand funds are not unlimited so I get it. One stall in the garage could be for a riding mower, snow blower and a decent used snowmobile.
I have wondered if having a pair of :scrooge: cars like my old Vibe/MR2 combo - worth basically combined what my :wankel: is worth alone - would be more enjoyable there since I'd actually have space to store and work on them. Maybe even go :fullretard: with a snow/tow vehicle and some kind of ghettokart on a trailer. That would certainly be more fun in the short term... and probably mean that I never make more than $30k a year while wasting all of my free time on car shit instead of building a career. God damn it life is hard. :crang:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Skip this. The riding in pretty much the whole state hasn't been that good the last couple of years. A couple old Jet Skis or just a couple couches and a pool or ping pong table, card table, Dio stereo etc
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm

I have wondered if having a pair of :scrooge: cars like my old Vibe/MR2 combo - worth basically combined what my :wankel: is worth alone - would be more enjoyable there since I'd actually have space to store and work on them. Maybe even go :fullretard: with a snow/tow vehicle and some kind of ghettokart on a trailer. That would certainly be more fun in the short term... and probably mean that I never make more than $30k a year while wasting all of my free time on car shit instead of building a career. God damn it life is hard. :crang:
Only if you feel you are wasting your time, in the end your career is a means to an end, since quality of life and generally just enjoying shit matters more than focusing on the rat race for an eventual pay off while missing out on everything in between. Plus that $30k assumes you don't get a raise or work your way up in the mean time (not saying to count on that, but programmers are a hot commodity right now, so if you get to a big enough company you can start playing around with pitting potential employers together for moar $$$, at least that's why my friends are doing). Basically I'm saying what do you think will be more fun/bring more happiness to you, since math can only take you so far
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Buy an old fwd shitbox saturn and go dirt racing
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm Also, while I think we all fundamentally agree renting is the smart financial play, there's only so much "fax man" we can do. If Brad took his own advice he'd be living in an Airstream on Ray Ray's property, waiting for the next economic catastrophe with his guns and his god watching porn. But he's not, is he? He built a lovely home for himself, his wife and his CF. And as far as I can tell, it contributes pretty positively towards his short stay on this rock. Lowball those fuckers on the Garage Mahal.
Fair enough but I did give you the Airstream, which is pretty high end shit as trailers go.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:08 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Fair enough but I did give you the Airstream, which is pretty high end shit as trailers go.
:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:dat: and like Rudy said for 400 sq ft studio that costs $2,600 in Manhattan. One of my friends who live in DC is now living in a “modern luxury” apt (meaning new and not basic like) with 600 sq ft studio has gotten it for $2,100. Also Troy, the reason why I stated earlier about willing to drive some distance is because well for my area, once you leave DC into VA, you will see the difference in pricing for pretty much the same for what you get. 10 miles further, even more bang for buck. While some people say traffic here is shit, i mean, what do you expect in a major city? First, NY, Boston and LA are definitely worse. But VA in particular is worse in a sense that you will encounter more passive and slow drivers. You’ll less likely to encounter assholes who won’t let you in in comparison

Edit: rudy correct me if im wrong w/ what you said.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 pm

:dat: and like Rudy said for 400 sq ft studio that costs $2,600 in Manhattan. One of my friends who live in DC is now living in a “modern luxury” apt (meaning new and not basic like) with 600 sq ft studio has gotten it for $2,100. Also Troy, the reason why I stated earlier about willing to drive some distance is because well for my area, once you leave DC into VA, you will see the difference in pricing for pretty much the same for what you get. 10 miles further, even more bang for buck. While some people say traffic here is shit, i mean, what do you expect in a major city? First, NY, Boston and LA are definitely worse. But VA in particular is worse in a sense that you will encounter more passive and slow drivers. You’ll less likely to encounter assholes who won’t let you in in comparison

Edit: rudy correct me if im wrong w/ what you said.
not rudy, but apartments 5mi (so 15-30 min, depending on traffic) from my office in tyson's cost about $2.4k/month for a 1020sqft 2 bed 2 bath apartment. Dafuq your friend live that 2100 for a 600 sq ft studio?
As for traffic, it sucks but I find drivers here generally nicer than the entirety of Florida, and north Jersey (granted, from the week I was there). I agree tho, you do get bang for buck further out, again it's an apartment but saw 2bed2bath apartments in centreville at around 1000sq ft w/ fireplace and utilities for ~$1600/month and right next to the beltway. If you buy a house in what you can call the boonies and simply drive into the metro or into town you would get nice bang for your buck and a nice property to boot, VA is beautiful