Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

There is a way, if you are careful about it, to crush both salary and retirement in the teacher ranks, you just have to research the school district you are entering. I have a cousin who started teaching in Omaha at age 24, he maxed out his retirement and pay in one district, and is now double dipping in another and loves his work. When he was a young man and making young man wages, doe, he painted houses in the summer to bring up his annual income, even though he actually had to work year round. (The horror!).

Conversely, I have a :millenial: niece who is working in Orange County. Because she was raised in Orange County, she of course is entitled to live and stay there for the rest of her life despite her lowly starting teacher's wages. After driving my sister in law out of her mind whilst living with them (after graduating with a master's in education) because my brother in law faciliated that and was never going to make her grow up, what happened? They have her a down payment so she could move out and get a condo. Side note, she is hotter than a thousand nuclear explosions, but that really has nothing to do with the story. What pisses me off about this story, and I'm sure Chris can relate, is that what happens when you can't afford to buy a house in California with your chose profession's starting wages? Do you move to Omaha? To Baton Rouge? No breh.
Living with strange people with snowblowers or airboats? UNIMAGINABLE. Get that handout from the parents instead.
:fax: theroy time:

Attractive people are generally dumber because they are never made to try hard #prettyprivilge.
I agree with this overall but subject hotties sister is also extremely attractive in more of a girl next sort of way and is finishing her residency as an ER doc. Same nurture, same nature.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

We applied for this place. It's an interesting neighborhood that was straight poverty 2-3 years ago and is now a mix of $850k white people houses and condemned shacks worth $300k for tear down proposed that are still occupied by poors.

M honestly shocked Allison OKed this hood but I really hope we get it, it's a perfect location close to everything : millennial: love plus our jobs (gets me back an hour a day and her like 1.5 plus no hour long trips to take care of the goddamn dog), it's affordable, and actually has some space and a driveway.
:impressive:

I didn't visit that side of town, but it's also closer to the airport which is :notbad:

Hopefully the rent doesn't become too damn high in a year from the :pinshit: whitening of the neighborhood.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am

Attractive people are generally dumber because they are never made to try hard #prettyprivilge.
I agree with this overall but subject hotties sister is also extremely attractive in more of a girl next sort of way and is finishing her residency as an ER doc. Same nurture, same nature.
Yea, broad ( :iswydt: ) generalization is broad. There are of course smart attractive people.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

We applied for this place. It's an interesting neighborhood that was straight poverty 2-3 years ago and is now a mix of $850k white people houses and condemned shacks worth $300k for tear down proposed that are still occupied by poors.

M honestly shocked Allison OKed this hood but I really hope we get it, it's a perfect location close to everything : millennial: love plus our jobs (gets me back an hour a day and her like 1.5 plus no hour long trips to take care of the goddamn dog), it's affordable, and actually has some space and a driveway.
Even if this place were a dump the bolded is a deal sealer. WTF, that's a huge difference was her old place in Asheville or something?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am I agree with this overall but subject hotties sister is also extremely attractive in more of a girl next sort of way and is finishing her residency as an ER doc. Same nurture, same nature.
Yea, broad ( :iswydt: ) generalization is broad. There are of course smart attractive people.
The smartest attractive people are self-aware and get a lot of shit for a little effort instead of a little for no effort. If you're super hot, particularly as a woman, you generally can "follow your passion" and do well for yourself in any field - plus be partnered with even more successful people. Every man wants a hottie in his office/band/team/boardroom/bedroom. Eye candy really is a nice thing to have.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 am

There is a FANTASTIC 30 Rock episode about this
You read Tina Fey's book yet??
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

Even if this place were a dump the bolded is a deal sealer. WTF, that's a huge difference was her old place in Asheville or something?
Bumfuck suburbia... I've always hated the location. It's like 20 miles north of town, my job is like 10 miles south of town... :disgust:

Before it didn't really matter because her job was in the boonies and I was on the road, but now we both have shit commutes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:23 am
D Griff wrote:https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

:impressive:

I didn't visit that side of town, but it's also closer to the airport which is :notbad:

Hopefully the rent doesn't become too damn high in a year from the :pinshit: whitening of the neighborhood.
It will over time for sure, hopefully we can buy before that occurs.
troyguitar

Looks like the place in town doesn't have the bigger units available. We're going to look at a couple of other places on Saturday. The leading candidate is now an apartment/townhouse complex out by itself, 3.5 miles from town and 1.5 miles from the office, so no walking to anything and probably no 1 car lyfe - but it does have a garage.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:49 pm Looks like the place in town doesn't have the bigger units available. We're going to look at a couple of other places on Saturday. The leading candidate is now an apartment/townhouse complex out by itself, 3.5 miles from town and 1.5 miles from the office, so no walking to anything and probably no 1 car lyfe - but it does have a garage.

That's pretty :notbad: ... Other than the goodbye walking thing.

If you do this will you keep the RX8 or get some year round poverty spec? In4RX8snow :225: .
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:49 pm Looks like the place in town doesn't have the bigger units available. We're going to look at a couple of other places on Saturday. The leading candidate is now an apartment/townhouse complex out by itself, 3.5 miles from town and 1.5 miles from the office, so no walking to anything and probably no 1 car lyfe - but it does have a garage.

:jelly:

In4review
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

If you do this will you keep the RX8 or get some year round poverty spec? In4RX8snow :225: .
It mostly depends on whether anyone wants to buy the thing. If I somehow still have it by next Fall then the warranty will be over and it'll be worthless, so I'll keep it and drive it until it rusts away.

Who knows. The wife's parents are very against renting which is making the whole thing harder. They don't seem interested in looking at the :math: - renting is "throwing all that money away" has been drilled into their heads for so long that their minds are closed. :disgust: :wap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

There is a way, if you are careful about it, to crush both salary and retirement in the teacher ranks, you just have to research the school district you are entering. I have a cousin who started teaching in Omaha at age 24, he maxed out his retirement and pay in one district, and is now double dipping in another and loves his work. When he was a young man and making young man wages, doe, he painted houses in the summer to bring up his annual income, even though he actually had to work year round. (The horror!).

Conversely, I have a :millenial: niece who is working in Orange County. Because she was raised in Orange County, she of course is entitled to live and stay there for the rest of her life despite her lowly starting teacher's wages. After driving my sister in law out of her mind whilst living with them (after graduating with a master's in education) because my brother in law faciliated that and was never going to make her grow up, what happened? They have her a down payment so she could move out and get a condo. Side note, she is hotter than a thousand nuclear explosions, but that really has nothing to do with the story. What pisses me off about this story, and I'm sure Chris can relate, is that what happens when you can't afford to buy a house in California with your chose profession's starting wages? Do you move to Omaha? To Baton Rouge? No breh.
Living with strange people with snowblowers or airboats? UNIMAGINABLE. Get that handout from the parents instead.

wait. is this why you know so much?

:mindblown:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:34 pm

wait. is this why you know so much?

:mindblown:
:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

We saw some rental places and some houses for sale yesterday, almost everything up here is in varying states of :disgust: to :notsure: at best. Dunno what we're going to do. There's now a decent chance of buying something cheap, depending on a number of things. We didn't see it in person, but this tiny :haus: looks pretty :neat: minus having a swimming pool instead of a garage:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 496#photo0

At that price we could practically afford to have a garage built in place of the pool... :troywax: :fullretard:

Of the places that we did see, the only one that I had a (strangely) positive reaction to was this monstrosity of :pinshit: potential:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10-E ... lpage=true

Other :fullretard: ideas include buying this place to live in the apartment over the garage and rent out the actual house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29-T ... lpage=true
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Were there any pictures of the garage apartment in that last link?
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:Were there any pictures of the garage apartment in that last link?
No, sadly. Wasn't available for showing either so I don't think that option is going to happen.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That sucks. I really like that gigantic old house, but that's alot of house and work for two people who aren't planning on being there for a very long time. It sure is cool though, and I love how big bathrooms were in those old houses.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 am We saw some rental places and some houses for sale yesterday, almost everything up here is in varying states of :disgust: to :notsure: at best. Dunno what we're going to do. There's now a decent chance of buying something cheap, depending on a number of things. We didn't see it in person, but this tiny :haus: looks pretty :neat: minus having a swimming pool instead of a garage:

Of the places that we did see, the only one that I had a (strangely) positive reaction to was this monstrosity of :pinshit: potential:

:wtf:
I thought you hated old houses.
And there's "no data" regarding AC.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 am We saw some rental places and some houses for sale yesterday, almost everything up here is in varying states of :disgust: to :notsure: at best. Dunno what we're going to do. There's now a decent chance of buying something cheap, depending on a number of things. We didn't see it in person, but this tiny :haus: looks pretty :neat: minus having a swimming pool instead of a garage:

Oh I don't want to buy it, I just think it's super cool inside and could easily be made great again. Forced air heat = could add AC for a slightly less crazy amount of cash.

The real reason that house is a no-go is that it has no parking. The street in front requires alternating sides every single day by midnight - you can never leave town for a weekend without hiring a neighbor to move your car. Fuck that fucking shit.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm
wap wrote:
Oh I don't want to buy it, I just think it's super cool inside and could easily be made great again. Forced air heat = could add AC for a slightly less crazy amount of cash.

The real reason that house is a no-go is that it has no parking. The street in front requires alternating sides every single day by midnight - you can never leave town for a weekend without hiring a neighbor to move your car. Fuck that fucking shit.
It is cool inside. Reminds me a bit of my :haus: , actually. True on the relative ease of adding AC.

And :disgust: on that parking situation.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:51 am
D Griff wrote:

It mostly depends on whether anyone wants to buy the thing. If I somehow still have it by next Fall then the warranty will be over and it'll be worthless, so I'll keep it and drive it until it rusts away.

Who knows. The wife's parents are very against renting which is making the whole thing harder. They don't seem interested in looking at the :math: - renting is "throwing all that money away" has been drilled into their heads for so long that their minds are closed. :disgust: :wap:
In a sense of a super long term yes. But then again, how long would you guys end up living there. Maybe ask them if they are still paying the mortgage. I honestly will never get the “buying a house” dream, especially when you factor in value and regarding on moving. Essentially like leasing a car vs long term financing.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm
wap wrote:

Yeah that is frustrating with the parking part
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:51 am It mostly depends on whether anyone wants to buy the thing. If I somehow still have it by next Fall then the warranty will be over and it'll be worthless, so I'll keep it and drive it until it rusts away.

In a sense of a super long term yes. But then again, how long would you guys end up living there. Maybe ask them if they are still paying the mortgage. I honestly will never get the “buying a house” dream, especially when you factor in value and regarding on moving. Essentially like leasing a car vs long term financing.
in a perfect world, the house increases at around 2-4% value each year. So its an "asset". Our entire financial system is based on taking debt on "Assets" that can only ever appreciate in value. In the real world we understand things can't possibly increase in value forever.

There are a lot of factors in this game including region. So :mahtroy: 's math is pretty much nail on head. Every location has a break point at when you should buy vs rent. In the swamp, its definitely a good idea to buy if you are there for 5+ years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Is property in corning going up 2-4%? On 100k that's 2-4k/yr. I'm wondering what break even point is after covering repairs, taxes and real estate fees. 7 yrs?