Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 pm This :haus: actually seems kind of OK and the taxes are "only" $4500/year instead of $7000 because it's on the other side of the river, but it's close enough to still be pretty much walking distance to :rudy: stuff.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/27-H ... lpage=true

No AC though so add a full $10k in cash flushed down the drain on top of it already being one of the most expensive and nicest places in the area, so you'll never see that money back on resale.
Just buy a couple of window units and say fuck it. You would only use them 2 months out of the year.
:disgust:

It still gets to 90+F with all of the humidity up there. Real AC is not optional.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Just buy a couple of window units and say fuck it. You would only use them 2 months out of the year.

It still gets to 90+F with all of the humidity up there. Real AC is not optional.
Clearly it is.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:29 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 pm :disgust:

Clearly it is.
Some people are cool with living on the street too, while technically an option it's not one I'm willing to pursue. I won't sweat or freeze in my own damn house. Climate control is the only thing separating man from beast.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 pm

You have to actually read the menu and order carefully to get value at fast food places.

https://www.kfc.com/menu/5-fill-ups/thr ... ers-fillup
I just don't love KFC, so I'd rather take my $5 to Taco Bell and get one of their $5 boxes, or just 5 beefy frito burritos or something else off the dollar menu.
Taco bell is the shit, its pretty much the only fast food i dont get bored of
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:33 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Clearly it is.
Some people are cool with living on the street too, while technically an option it's not one I'm willing to pursue. I won't sweat or freeze in my own damn house. Climate control is the only thing separating man from beast.
I hear you, and feel the same way. but i digress.... its possible in that climate.

I still think you should rent. Definitely at least till the next downswing, for two reasons. 1 you will have liquidity from current house sails (for fucks sake dont invest it) 2. you will get more for your money. 3. you will learn the area.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I hear you, and feel the same way. but i digress.... its possible in that climate.

I still think you should rent. Definitely at least till the next downswing, for two reasons. 1 you will have liquidity from current house sails (for fucks sake dont invest it) 2. you will get more for your money. 3. you will learn the area.
global cooling :doe:

and that is just a real poverty town in NY.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

Agree with this, real AC is a must have on my next home.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I did 3 years in a second floor apt and 2 years in a house with only a window ac in the bedroom yet I survived. Although I put central ac in my current house and it's tits
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

When I was considering a move to the Northeast, non-central AC wasn’t all that uncommon..
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm

When I was considering a move to the Northeast, non-central AC wasn’t all that uncommon..
I mean, median household income is $33k in the city of Corning so a lot of people go without a lot of shit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Man... My gf is in education and it can be very obnoxious hanging out with people from that world. All they do is bitch and moan about being broke and how hard it is when a) they could've looked up exactly what they'd get paid before ever pursuing that career and b) based on the months they actually work, they make more than the average monthly household income on average here.

There is a way, if you are careful about it, to crush both salary and retirement in the teacher ranks, you just have to research the school district you are entering. I have a cousin who started teaching in Omaha at age 24, he maxed out his retirement and pay in one district, and is now double dipping in another and loves his work. When he was a young man and making young man wages, doe, he painted houses in the summer to bring up his annual income, even though he actually had to work year round. (The horror!).

Conversely, I have a :millenial: niece who is working in Orange County. Because she was raised in Orange County, she of course is entitled to live and stay there for the rest of her life despite her lowly starting teacher's wages. After driving my sister in law out of her mind whilst living with them (after graduating with a master's in education) because my brother in law faciliated that and was never going to make her grow up, what happened? They have her a down payment so she could move out and get a condo. Side note, she is hotter than a thousand nuclear explosions, but that really has nothing to do with the story. What pisses me off about this story, and I'm sure Chris can relate, is that what happens when you can't afford to buy a house in California with your chose profession's starting wages? Do you move to Omaha? To Baton Rouge? No breh.
Living with strange people with snowblowers or airboats? UNIMAGINABLE. Get that handout from the parents instead.
Pics :bruh:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is huge. The whole "we owned before, we must own again" house swap thing is nonsense. It seems to be heavily woman driven as well. You can buy a shitton of $20 hamburgers in :millennial: gastropubs for a poor housing decision.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

There is a way, if you are careful about it, to crush both salary and retirement in the teacher ranks, you just have to research the school district you are entering. I have a cousin who started teaching in Omaha at age 24, he maxed out his retirement and pay in one district, and is now double dipping in another and loves his work. When he was a young man and making young man wages, doe, he painted houses in the summer to bring up his annual income, even though he actually had to work year round. (The horror!).

Conversely, I have a :millenial: niece who is working in Orange County. Because she was raised in Orange County, she of course is entitled to live and stay there for the rest of her life despite her lowly starting teacher's wages. After driving my sister in law out of her mind whilst living with them (after graduating with a master's in education) because my brother in law faciliated that and was never going to make her grow up, what happened? They have her a down payment so she could move out and get a condo. Side note, she is hotter than a thousand nuclear explosions, but that really has nothing to do with the story. What pisses me off about this story, and I'm sure Chris can relate, is that what happens when you can't afford to buy a house in California with your chose profession's starting wages? Do you move to Omaha? To Baton Rouge? No breh.
Living with strange people with snowblowers or airboats? UNIMAGINABLE. Get that handout from the parents instead.
Ron I'm about as likely to post photos of my "hot niece" as you are of yours.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 pm I hear you, and feel the same way. but i digress.... its possible in that climate.

This is huge. The whole "we owned before, we must own again" house swap thing is nonsense. It seems to be heavily woman driven as well. You can buy a shitton of $20 hamburgers in :millennial: gastropubs for a poor housing decision.
Part of it is not just renting vs buying but living in a 1000 sq ft place with 1 bathroom and a tiny kitchen vs 1800 sq ft with 400 sq ft garage and 400 sq ft attic and 2 bathrooms, plus freedom to put shelves on the walls, privacy from neighbors, etc.

Most places for example don't seem to have proper vents over their stoves which actually vent to outside vs recirculating smoke in your face. If you own, you can fix that in an afternoon for not much money. If you rent, you just can't cook anything smoky like :meat: without making a big mess.

All that being said, we are still leaning toward the $1200 apartment in town and sharing a car while saving cash. Framing it as an interesting new challenge and opportunity to come up with :pinshit: solutions to shrinking our lyfe without it sucking seems to be working for selling it to the wife.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Part of it is not just renting vs buying but living in a 1000 sq ft place with 1 bathroom and a tiny kitchen vs 1800 sq ft with 400 sq ft garage and 400 sq ft attic and 2 bathrooms, plus freedom to put shelves on the walls, privacy from neighbors, etc.

Most places for example don't seem to have proper vents over their stoves which actually vent to outside vs recirculating smoke in your face. If you own, you can fix that in an afternoon for not much money. If you rent, you just can't cook anything smoky like :meat: without making a big mess.

All that being said, we are still leaning toward the $1200 apartment in town and sharing a car while saving cash. Framing it as an interesting new challenge and opportunity to come up with :pinshit: solutions to shrinking our lyfe without it sucking seems to be working for selling it to the wife.

:like: I get all the house benefits. My buddy and his wife have lived in the pay area for years and make do without a lot of things people on this forum feel are requisites in airboat country, the midwest, and KY. All of it gets overcome if you actually like your spouse because you can laugh at inconveniences and enjoy the benefits (in this case easy to maintain space and $20 hamburgers). That seems to be you. Without ascending too high in the pulpit, your spouse will always remember how you handled couples adversity and personal adversity. It would seem self evident that your wife appreciates the fact that you enjoy going fast, Ricky Bobby.
Sucking it up for the team today likely means a 3 car garage for Troy someday, somewhere.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

If you're used to central air then even up here you'll want it. I've never had it so I make do with 3 window units, but it's still not the same.
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:If you're used to central air then even up here you'll want it. I've never had it so I make do with 3 window units, but it's still not the same.
:word:

I'm young and middle class enough to have grown up with AC in every house and car I've ever been in - and at this point I would never go without it. I'd cut out caffeine and alcohol and meat before cutting AC. Comfort is worth it.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm Part of it is not just renting vs buying but living in a 1000 sq ft place with 1 bathroom and a tiny kitchen vs 1800 sq ft with 400 sq ft garage and 400 sq ft attic and 2 bathrooms, plus freedom to put shelves on the walls, privacy from neighbors, etc.

:like: I get all the house benefits. My buddy and his wife have lived in the pay area for years and make do without a lot of things people on this forum feel are requisites in airboat country, the midwest, and KY. All of it gets overcome if you actually like your spouse because you can laugh at inconveniences and enjoy the benefits (in this case easy to maintain space and $20 hamburgers). That seems to be you. Without ascending too high in the pulpit, your spouse will always remember how you handled couples adversity and personal adversity. It would seem self evident that your wife appreciates the fact that you enjoy going fast, Ricky Bobby.
Sucking it up for the team today likely means a 3 car garage for Troy someday, somewhere.
Part of it is also a good longer term test to see if we would really have any interest in moving to a real city eventually - where we'd pay even more to get even less. It's one thing to visit for a week, but actually slogging through urban daily life is quite different and it remains to be seen whether we'll be able to :dealwithit:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Ron I'm about as likely to post photos of my "hot niece" as you are of yours.
I figured.

Can't blame a :wap: for trying, :doe: :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

The house Lisa and I live in is small. The best advice I can offer is to make sure you have a place you can escape to if needed. She has her office where we put a reading chair in, I don't exactly have anything and that does bother me sometimes. I set up the basement as a bike repair area but it's littered with bs (as is what happens with basements) so not usable. I'd love to have a den or workshop or something. But yeah make sure there's a way to put some distance between the two of you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

We applied for this place. It's an interesting neighborhood that was straight poverty 2-3 years ago and is now a mix of $850k white people houses and condemned shacks worth $300k for tear down proposed that are still occupied by poors.

M honestly shocked Allison OKed this hood but I really hope we get it, it's a perfect location close to everything : millennial: love plus our jobs (gets me back an hour a day and her like 1.5 plus no hour long trips to take care of the goddamn dog), it's affordable, and actually has some space and a driveway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

Part of it is also a good longer term test to see if we would really have any interest in moving to a real city eventually - where we'd pay even more to get even less. It's one thing to visit for a week, but actually slogging through urban daily life is quite different and it remains to be seen whether we'll be able to :dealwithit:
This makes perfect sense I think, better to not be "trapped" in something you hate.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Man... My gf is in education and it can be very obnoxious hanging out with people from that world. All they do is bitch and moan about being broke and how hard it is when a) they could've looked up exactly what they'd get paid before ever pursuing that career and b) based on the months they actually work, they make more than the average monthly household income on average here.

:fax: theroy time:

Attractive people are generally dumber because they are never made to try hard #prettyprivilge.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0317-41050

We applied for this place. It's an interesting neighborhood that was straight poverty 2-3 years ago and is now a mix of $850k white people houses and condemned shacks worth $300k for tear down proposed that are still occupied by poors.

M honestly shocked Allison OKed this hood but I really hope we get it, it's a perfect location close to everything : millennial: love plus our jobs (gets me back an hour a day and her like 1.5 plus no hour long trips to take care of the goddamn dog), it's affordable, and actually has some space and a driveway.
that place looks stellar :doit:
brain go brrrrrr