What is Life

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Wise advise is wise, as to be expected from Irish.

Hey, have you noticed anything like this with your recovery? Without exception, every day of my recovery, without exception, has alternated from feeling :fuckyeah: one day and feeling strong and thinking I see the light at the end of the tunnel, to the next day feeling totally :eeyore: and weak and under the weather and more things hurt than yesterday and wondering when the hell this will end? And then it swings back the other way again?
:yesth: big time...... I was in pretty good spirits the first week or so after I was released from the insane asylum because things were always getting progressively better but the past 2-3 days have been rough....the swelling is increasing as is my discomfort.

I have to remember what the doc said.....recovery from major surgery does not occur along a straight line.......there are always ups and downs.....
:word:
Yea, that's what they told me, too, and I get it. But for me, it swings literally from one day to the next, without exception, for the past 10 days. Days 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 sucked, and days 2, 4, 6, and 8 were :notbad:
Weird.

Regardless, glad we're both on the mend. :wub:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 pm Yay so glad our res @wap is okay! So did everything go according to plan? Did you get an added perks, like a bag of perks (LOL) or a more robust :dong: ?

Glad you made it through some serious shit buddy! :wub:
Thanks dood. The surgery itself went great, and fast. It took only 2.75 hours, when I thought it would be closer to 4, based on the 5 other people I know who had open heart surgeries.

I did have a setback in the early days of my recovery, :doe: , which cost me an extra day in ICU. I developed a slight pneumothorax, technically a partially collapsed right lung.
Plus what doctor wants to be known as the guy who botched up heart surgery on the oldest living human on the planet?!

So are you all fixed up? Six million dollar man?
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks dood. The surgery itself went great, and fast. It took only 2.75 hours, when I thought it would be closer to 4, based on the 5 other people I know who had open heart surgeries.

I did have a setback in the early days of my recovery, :doe: , which cost me an extra day in ICU. I developed a slight pneumothorax, technically a partially collapsed right lung.
Plus what doctor wants to be known as the guy who botched up heart surgery on the oldest living human on the planet?!

:lolol:
Not yet, but getting there.
Had a visit from a home health care nurse from the hospital, covered by my insurance. I'll be getting it twice a week for the next few weeks, just to be sure everything continues to go well. :notbad:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:06 am

Glad to hear it went well.
Thank you.

Funny thing, I was so worried about the surgery itself but I was out and unaware until it was over. It's the recovery that's been a bitch so far. But it is what it is I guess.
How long are you out of work?
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 pm

:yesth: big time...... I was in pretty good spirits the first week or so after I was released from the insane asylum because things were always getting progressively better but the past 2-3 days have been rough....the swelling is increasing as is my discomfort.

I have to remember what the doc said.....recovery from major surgery does not occur along a straight line.......there are always ups and downs.....
Yea, that's what they told me, too, and I get it. But for me, it swings literally from one day to the next, without exception, for the past 10 days. Days 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 sucked, and days 2, 4, 6, and 8 were :notbad:
Weird.

Yes, I am experiencing much the same....last few days have been really rough but today is better. I have never been through a surgery with such a lengthy recovery time. And when I don't improve from the previous day It gives me the blues. The truth is that I have nothing to complain about....I got the best possible outcome i could have hoped for......

Grateful that you and I live to :dock: another day.... :wub:
Irish

wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Had a visit from a home health care nurse from the hospital, covered by my insurance. I'll be getting it twice a week for the next few weeks, just to be sure everything continues to go well. :notbad:
I could have opted for this but my wife wanted to "nurse" me..... she did a fantastic job with my wound care and emptying the drains they sent me home with.....
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Thank you.

Funny thing, I was so worried about the surgery itself but I was out and unaware until it was over. It's the recovery that's been a bitch so far. But it is what it is I guess.
How long are you out of work?
I'm guessing 4 weeks. It'll depend on how my recovery progresses, specifically how well/quickly my sternum heals,
wap

Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Weird.

Yes, I am experiencing much the same....last few days have been really rough but today is better. I have never been through a surgery with such a lengthy recovery time. And when I don't improve from the previous day It gives me the blues. The truth is that I have nothing to complain about....I got the best possible outcome i could have hoped for......

True that!

Today was the first day that I had 2 decent days in a row. We'll see if I can make it 3. It'll largely depend on whether or not I can get any decent sleep tonight.
wap

Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 pm

I could have opted for this but my wife wanted to "nurse" me..... she did a fantastic job with my wound care and emptying the drains they sent me home with.....
Mine was cool with the professional coming in. They basically just check my vitals, check the incision area, go over my medications. As long as my insurance company is covering it I figure why not?
Irish

wap wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm

True that!

Today was the first day that I had 2 decent days in a row. We'll see if I can make it 3. It'll largely depend on whether or not I can get any decent sleep tonight.
Glad to hear you've had back to back good days......I am hoping for the same........:yesth: Good sleep is crucial.......earplugs and occasional melatonin have helped....plus the pain has dwindled to where I don't need to wake up to take meds, so that helps a lot...
wap

Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

True that!

Glad to hear you've had back to back good days......I am hoping for the same........:yesth: Good sleep is crucial.......earplugs and occasional melatonin have helped....plus the pain has dwindled to where I don't need to wake up to take meds, so that helps a lot...
I did manage to get a bit of sleep last night. Melatonin huh? My brother mentioned it but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to start taking it given all the other drugs I'm currently on. Glad to hear your pain is better. Mine is usually pretty manageable but sneezing can go fuck itself right out of town.
Irish

wap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am
Irish wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm
I did manage to get a bit of sleep last night. Melatonin huh? My brother mentioned it but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to start taking it given all the other drugs I'm currently on. Glad to hear your pain is better. Mine is usually pretty manageable but sneezing can go fuck itself right out of town.
Yeah I would definitely ask your doctor about the melatonin before taking it.....mine seemed to heartily approve .... but our conditions are very different
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am
wap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am

Yeah I would definitely ask your doctor about the melatonin before taking it.....mine seemed to heartily approve .... but our conditions are very different
True dat. Hope you're having a good day today, dude.
Irish

wap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am
Thanks man, sorry I missed this. Actually had a relatively bad few days but better today. The ups and downs are crazy.....I want my progress to be linear but it just isn't going that way. The swelling and numbness are worse than I expected. I feel like I was shot up with a 3 week dose of Novocain and my neck feels like double its normal size and stretching. My tongue feels numb and foreign.

Still, there is so much to be thankful for and there is a ton of improvement in areas.

I took my first normal dump a few days ago. That felt really good. I was on pain killers that were binding me up a lot. ( I am on nothing but Tylenol and Advil now). The stool softeners help but it creates a weird excretory experience where half of what is in there is still hard as a rock and the other half is loose. Taking good, satisfyingly emptying shits is one of the great unsung joys in life after you haven't for a while.

I had my first non-liquid meal yesterday. My wife makes awesome pot roast and i reduced the juices down to a kick ass, rich gravy, served with Mashed potatoes and Red Lobster Cheddar biscuits (drenched in butter so that I could swallow them). A little slice of Heaven for someone who has been subsisting on Soups and Smoothies for 3 weeks. :fuckyeah:

I mowed the grass a few days ago and I straightened up the garage yesterday. I have been taking care of the pool and periodically making dinner for the fam. I plan on going in to the office for my first semi-full day tomorrow.

All in all, I am able to do much more than I could have reasonably expected and I am grateful.

I hope you are progressing nicely as well, olde friend.
wap

Irish wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks man, sorry I missed this. Actually had a relatively bad few days but better today. The ups and downs are crazy.....I want my progress to be linear but it just isn't going that way. The swelling and numbness are worse than I expected. I feel like I was shot up with a 3 week dose of Novocain and my neck feels like double its normal size and stretching. My tongue feels numb and foreign.

Still, there is so much to be thankful for and there is a ton of improvement in areas.

I took my first normal dump a few days ago. That felt really good. I was on pain killers that were binding me up a lot. ( I am on nothing but Tylenol and Advil now). The stool softeners help but it creates a weird excretory experience where half of what is in there is still hard as a rock and the other half is loose. Taking good, satisfyingly emptying shits is one of the great unsung joys in life after you haven't for a while.

I had my first non-liquid meal yesterday. My wife makes awesome pot roast and i reduced the juices down to a kick ass, rich gravy, served with Mashed potatoes and Red Lobster Cheddar biscuits (drenched in butter so that I could swallow them). A little slice of Heaven for someone who has been subsisting on Soups and Smoothies for 3 weeks. :fuckyeah:

I mowed the grass a few days ago and I straightened up the garage yesterday. I have been taking care of the pool and periodically making dinner for the fam. I plan on going in to the office for my first semi-full day tomorrow.

All in all, I am able to do much more than I could have reasonably expected and I am grateful.

Glad your day is better today. I totally get the frustration of non-linear improvements but all my doctors and nurses warned me that there would be stops and starts and good and bad days, and they were right. Do what I do. Think about yourself today and how you felt 2-3 weeks ago and the progress will be easier to see.

Boy, can I relate on normal :poop: ing. Mine didn't last as long as yours but for 4 days I was completely bound up in the hospital while they were insisting I eat 3 times a day. I was so bloated that for a day or 2 my belly was more painful than my chest incisions. Finally took one of those weird gooy mud butt dumps 4 days after surgery then had several bouts of diarrhea the next day thanks to prescription strength laxatives. One episode came while some friends were visiting me so they got an earful :lol: . You are so right; the first normal :poop: was beyond gratifying.

The more your life gets back to normal, and it sounds like you're picking up some of your old chores, which is cool, the better you feel.

As for me, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this afternoon. Most of the news is good, some not so much.

The good:
-He said my heart sounded good and lungs sounded much better and clearer which meant that...
-He took me off the diuretic effective immediately. No more panic peeing!
-I can also stop wearing those stupid tight compression socks that go up to my knees.
-In 2 weeks I can probably get off the anti-inflammatory drug I'm taking, so that'll be 50% of my prescription drugs gone. :megusta:
-Cleared to go in to work this Saturday to work our physical inventory. It was a goal I set for myself so I was pleased to hear that he though I was well enough to do it.
-Cleared to go back to work full time in 2 weeks.

The not so good:
-I'm on Coumadin, which is a strong anti-coagulant that I need to be on for 3 months to make sure I don't develop any blood clots on my new valve. Because of the many and nasty side effects I have to have my blood monitored frequently to make sure I don't have too much coumadin in me. At the right balance my blood should take 3 times longer than normal to coagulate. This is done with a simple finger poke, similar to a diabetic's blood sugar test. Well, today, after trying 2 times, no clotting could be detected. At all. Fuck me if I get a simple cut. So I had to go to the lab at the hospital to get a regular blood draw, after the cardiologist's nurse just finished taking blood, so I got 2 finger pokes, one of which is still bleeding a bit 2 hours later, and 2 blood sticks in each arm, which are probably also still bleeding under the gauze. :disgust:
-Found out I can't drive for another fucking 4 weeks, which means I have to rely on others (wifey) for all my transportation to various doctor and hospital visits. :rage: So I can go back to work in 2 weeks but can't drive for 4, so I have to figure out transportation for those 2 weeks. And no, I don't Uber or Lyft, so if wifey can't do it I'll have to call a taxi.
Irish

I would try to hold on to the fact that You got good news on all of the major stuff ........ heart and lungs sounding good = :fuckyeah:

The bad news stuff definitely sucks but it is likely that a year from now you'll look back on it as a simple nuisance ......
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:48 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Glad your day is better today. I totally get the frustration of non-linear improvements but all my doctors and nurses warned me that there would be stops and starts and good and bad days, and they were right. Do what I do. Think about yourself today and how you felt 2-3 weeks ago and the progress will be easier to see.

Boy, can I relate on normal :poop: ing. Mine didn't last as long as yours but for 4 days I was completely bound up in the hospital while they were insisting I eat 3 times a day. I was so bloated that for a day or 2 my belly was more painful than my chest incisions. Finally took one of those weird gooy mud butt dumps 4 days after surgery then had several bouts of diarrhea the next day thanks to prescription strength laxatives. One episode came while some friends were visiting me so they got an earful :lol: . You are so right; the first normal :poop: was beyond gratifying.

The more your life gets back to normal, and it sounds like you're picking up some of your old chores, which is cool, the better you feel.

As for me, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this afternoon. Most of the news is good, some not so much.

The good:
-He said my heart sounded good and lungs sounded much better and clearer which meant that...
-I can also stop wearing those stupid tight compression socks that go up to my knees.
-In 2 weeks I can probably get off the anti-inflammatory drug I'm taking, so that'll be 50% of my prescription drugs gone. :megusta:
-Cleared to go in to work this Saturday to work our physical inventory. It was a goal I set for myself so I was pleased to hear that he though I was well enough to do it.

The not so good:
-I'm on Coumadin, which is a strong anti-coagulant that I need to be on for 3 months to make sure I don't develop any blood clots on my new valve. Because of the many and nasty side effects I have to have my blood monitored frequently to make sure I don't have too much coumadin in me. At the right balance my blood should take 3 times longer than normal to coagulate. This is done with a simple finger poke, similar to a diabetic's blood sugar test. Well, today, after trying 2 times, no clotting could be detected. At all. Fuck me if I get a simple cut. So I had to go to the lab at the hospital to get a regular blood draw, after the cardiologist's nurse just finished taking blood, so I got 2 finger pokes, one of which is still bleeding a bit 2 hours later, and 2 blood sticks in each arm, which are probably also still bleeding under the gauze. :disgust:
-Found out I can't drive for another fucking 4 weeks, which means I have to rely on others (wifey) for all my transportation to various doctor and hospital visits. :rage: So I can go back to work in 2 weeks but can't drive for 4, so I have to figure out transportation for those 2 weeks. And no, I don't Uber or Lyft, so if wifey can't do it I'll have to call a taxi.
Ron. You just install a fucking app on your phone and donezo. As for the rest of it brah it sounds pretty good overall. Keep a bunch of bandages and tape around. You can't expect to have your beating heart exposed on day 1 and then have everything be fucking fine on day 10. That's not the way it works. I tried the video game idea and no dice. Write a note to your mom. You've had a good life, yes? Buy your wife some flowers. I assume you're making dinner? Knock it out of the park. Try and enjoy your convalesence.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ron, I'm old AF, but for such a progressive traveler to not have Lyft or Uber in your toolbelt is retarded. You will not find a single person on this forum who will disagree with this statement.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

I just read this whole thread and I am so happy to hear you’re both doing so well after everything you’ve been through! Sending internet hugs your way!
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am I would try to hold on to the fact that You got good news on all of the major stuff ........ heart and lungs sounding good = :fuckyeah:

The bad news stuff definitely sucks but it is likely that a year from now you'll look back on it as a simple nuisance ......
Yea, you're right of course. I called the Coumadin nurse today and because my blood lab results were in. Turns out my number was 7 TIMES higher to clot than normal. The goal is for me to be around 3-3.5 times higher. I didn't take any today or yesterday and have to go in tomorrow morning for yet another finger poke. :disgust:

Good news is Natalie, the :jimp: home care nurse came by again this afternoon for another visit. :megusta:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 am
wap wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:48 pm

The good:

The not so good:
Ron. You just install a fucking app on your phone and donezo. As for the rest of it brah it sounds pretty good overall. Keep a bunch of bandages and tape around. You can't expect to have your beating heart exposed on day 1 and then have everything be fucking fine on day 10. That's not the way it works. I tried the video game idea and no dice. Write a note to your mom. You've had a good life, yes? Buy your wife some flowers. I assume you're making dinner? Knock it out of the park. Try and enjoy your convalesence.
Yea I know how they work, I just have a problem with them from a moral/fairness standpoint. There are several good suburban taxi companies around here, one of which I have their ap for and it works much like Uber, even including a map showing how far away the taxi is. And I'm guaranteed a clean vehicle, trained driver who makes a living wage, they ALWAYS show up on time if not a few minutes early, and it ain't that much more expensive than a Uber.

Also, nope, can't cook dinner. Not allowed to reach up for things nor lift anything over a few pounds for the next month. And with the Coumadin issue I can't be using kitchen knives, or else:
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... uue1js.jpg
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:13 am Ron, I'm old AF, but for such a progressive traveler to not have Lyft or Uber in your toolbelt is retarded. You will not find a single person on this forum who will disagree with this statement.
Except me...
wap

haleyann wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 am I just read this whole thread and I am so happy to hear you’re both doing so well after everything you’ve been through! Sending internet hugs your way!
:wub:
Thanks Nurse Haley! :like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 am

Yea I know how they work, I just have a problem with them from a moral/fairness standpoint. There are several good suburban taxi companies around here, one of which I have their ap for and it works much like Uber, even including a map showing how far away the taxi is. And I'm guaranteed a clean vehicle, trained driver who makes a living wage, they ALWAYS show up on time if not a few minutes early, and it ain't that much more expensive than a Uber.

Also, nope, can't cook dinner. Not allowed to reach up for things nor lift anything over a few pounds for the next month. And with the Coumadin issue I can't be using kitchen knives, or else:
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... uue1js.jpg
O wow. The last several times I have used a taxi, the drivers have been none of that, and haven't known where they are going any better than an Uber driver.
Irish

haleyann wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 am I just read this whole thread and I am so happy to hear you’re both doing so well after everything you’ve been through! Sending internet hugs your way!
Thanks Haley, hugs back! :wub: