What is Life

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm Also got my special pre-surgery soap that I have to shower with for 2-3 days before the butchery.

After Friday's procedure I have 2 whole weeks of no tests or needles until my final blood draw 2 days before my surgery. It's funny how the little things become important when they become rare.
What does it do?
It's a strong anti-bacterial soap. They want to minimize infection any and every way they can so they want your skin as clean as possible before they slice it open. The big target here, if I'm not mistaken, is MRSA, as I got a nasal swab to test for that this morning. It's a particularly nasty bug that's very hard to kill and is becoming more common in hospitals.
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a bacterium that causes infections in different parts of the body. It's tougher to treat than most strains of staphylococcus aureus -- or staph -- because it's resistant to some commonly used antibiotics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:20 pm Wrote that post to Irish this morning from the hospital. Had 3 more pre-surgery tests today. One more easy one on Thursday then a big-ish (angiogram) one on Friday. Gotta take the day off for that one because I'll be sedated and I can't drive for the rest of the day. Can't do much of anything that weekend, actually, because I have to let the artery in my wrist that they're puncturing heal up.
Everything is one day at a time for us now, my friend. Worrying will not make it better and will likely achieve the opposite. Fuck heart issues and fuck cancer........You and I will be :dock: in the old age home....
:yesth: :fuckyeah: :wub:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Things that not too many people know about me

WHen I was in second grade I got a standing ovation at the Choral concert for my rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I had a super high, near pitch perfect soprano voice. That year (or next) My music teacher floated the idea to my parents of auditioning me for an off broadway show she was in. They refused. (Looking back, my Dad was on Strike at the time and I don't think they believed her....plus it would have meant getting me into Manhattan on the regular if I got the part)

ALso in second grade I got lost at Disney World (our only vacation that wasn’t to Groundhog Valley PA…except for a trip or two to Dude Ranches in the Catskills)….

In fifth grade I got lost at the Museum of Natural History in NYC

I have an older half brother who I grew up with but who I do not talk to.

I have won a lot of money playing pool and Texas Hold 'em (my brother and I are both pretty good)

I have won numerous karaoke contests.

In 1990 I almost died from a fall where I fractured my skull.

I lost my Dad in 1996, my maternal Grandmother in 1998 and my Mom in 2000.
wap

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm Things that not too many people know about me

WHen I was in second grade I got a standing ovation at the Choral concert for my rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I had a super high, near pitch perfect soprano voice. That year (or next) My music teacher floated the idea to my parents of auditioning me for an off broadway show she was in. They refused. (Looking back, my Dad was on Strike at the time and I don't think they believed her....plus it would have meant getting me into Manhattan on the regular if I got the part)

ALso in second grade I got lost at Disney World (our only vacation that wasn’t to Groundhog Valley PA…except for a trip or two to Dude Ranches in the Catskills)….

I have won a lot of money playing pool and Texas Hold 'em (my brother and I are both pretty good)

Interesting!
Also, 5/7 idea for a new thread. :doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm Things that not too many people know about me

On strike from his job or on strike from being a dad?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Lol .... well a bit of both maybe, at least by today's parenting standards. He was a WW2 Vet, hard working no nonsense guy when I was growing up.....plus Mom had me when he was 40 ( She was 12 years his junior) so he was not a throw-the-ball-in-the-yard, huggy kissy kind of Dad. He mellowed in later years and We had a good relationship as adults.

But I was referencing the 14 month Strike of Lever Brothers. (Now Unilever). They made Close-up, Pepsodent and Aim toothpaste back when they were premium brands. All and Wisk detergents. Dove Soap. (The factory that Dad worked at) and Promise Margarine amongst others.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

That's the surgery my dad had. Trach tube and all. Seeing what happened to him, I'd suggest doing everything the physical therapist suggest after surgery

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Lol .... well a bit of both maybe, at least by today's parenting standards. He was a WW2 Vet, hard working no nonsense guy when I was growing up.....plus Mom had me when he was 40 ( She was 12 years his junior) so he was not a throw-the-ball-in-the-yard, huggy kissy kind of Dad. He mellowed in later years and We had a good relationship as adults.

But I was referencing the 14 month Strike of Lever Brothers. (Now Unilever). They made Close-up, Pepsodent and Aim toothpaste back when they were premium brands. All and Wisk detergents. Dove Soap. (The factory that Dad worked at) and Promise Margarine amongst others.
Comprehensive response.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish

Good new, bad news today from From the Oral Surgeon. It appears that the cancer is NOT in my mandible. :fuckyeah: So that increases the chance that I can have the less invasive of the two tumor surgery options. HUGE difference in recovery time and ancillary procedures (ie Trach tube, feeding tube etc)

Bad news, I'm going to lose all of my teeth. I knew this was coming someday so fuq it.
wap

Irish wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:06 pm Good new, bad news today from From the Oral Surgeon. It appears that the cancer is NOT in my mandible. :fuckyeah: So that increases the chance that I can have the less invasive of the two tumor surgery options. HUGE difference in recovery time and ancillary procedures (ie Trach tube, feeding tube etc)

Bad news, I'm going to lose all of my teeth. I knew this was coming someday so fuq it.
Glad to hear the cancer didn't spread to your jaw! That's great news.

Sorry about your teef, but as you said, you knew this was coming some day so it may as well be now. Also, zero chance of getting cavities in the future!
Irish

wap wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm
Irish wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:06 pm Good new, bad news today from From the Oral Surgeon. It appears that the cancer is NOT in my mandible. :fuckyeah: So that increases the chance that I can have the less invasive of the two tumor surgery options. HUGE difference in recovery time and ancillary procedures (ie Trach tube, feeding tube etc)

Sorry about your teef, but as you said, you knew this was coming some day so it may as well be now. Also, zero chance of getting cavities in the future!
Thanks Fappy!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Congrats Irish, sounds like the best case scenario. My uncle had his whole upper jaw retoothed for a fraction of the cost it would be here. He flew out to Slovakia where he has family. A mexican dude that works at a restaurant near my parents place in FL did the same thing for an intricate surgery in Cuba. Maybe worth looking into a fresh new set on the cheap?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm

:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

Thanks guys.

Got some hard dates today. Upper teeth extractions 5/30/19. Main Surgery 6/3/19. Scary shit but it feels really good to have a plan. Gonna break the news, gently, to my kids this weekend.
wap

Irish wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:32 pm Thanks guys.

Got some hard dates today. Upper teeth extractions 5/30/19. Main Surgery 6/3/19. Scary shit but it feels really good to have a plan. Gonna break the news, gently, to my kids this weekend.
You got this.

I still have to tell my 88 year old mother. Gonna do that next weekend so she has only 1 week to fret instead of 3-4. Good luck with your kids.
Irish

Last night of relative normality for some time..... having upper teeth removed tomorrow.
wap

Irish wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm Last night of relative normality for some time..... having upper teeth removed tomorrow.
:yikes:
When will you get the replacements?
Irish

Really depends on how much of my inner mouth they remove on Monday....
wap

Irish wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm Really depends on how much of my inner mouth they remove on Monday....
Oh man.

Best of luck my friend.

I just got off the phone with my surgeon's office. I have an appointment to :meat: with the pre-surgical nurses next Friday, the 7th, to go over what I have to do to prep for the butchery and to watch a video.
Irish

wap wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:07 pm
Irish wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm Really depends on how much of my inner mouth they remove on Monday....
Oh man.

Best of luck my friend.

I just got off the phone with my surgeon's office. I have an appointment to :meat: with the pre-surgical nurses next Friday, the 7th, to go over what I have to do to prep for the butchery and to watch a video.
We got this buddy.

Sending you warm vibes and best wishes....I may or may not be able to to do so next week.
wap

Irish wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Oh man.

Best of luck my friend.

We got this buddy.

Sending you warm vibes and best wishes....I may or may not be able to to do so next week.
Right back atcha! :wub:

And of course you will. If you're not up for DFD'ing next week, you'll do it via your kind thoughts. Not that you'll be thinking of me while you're recovering but you know what I mean...

I'll be thinking of your soft, toofless mouf next week for sure. :hubba:
Irish

wap wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Irish wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:15 pm
We got this buddy.

Right back atcha! :wub:

And of course you will. If you're not up for DFD'ing next week, you'll do it via your kind thoughts. Not that you'll be thinking of me while you're recovering but you know what I mean...

I'll be thinking of your soft, toofless mouf next week for sure. :hubba:
:lolgasm: :hubba:
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh man.

Best of luck my friend.

Video?

I watched a video with nurses doing a checkup once...

:hubba:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Oh man.

Best of luck my friend.

Video?

:lolol:
Let's hope!
Doubt it, :doe: :(
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm
Video?

:lolol:
Let's hope!
Doubt it, :doe: :(
:|