OT 15: New Year, New Poo

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm I think the T4R Trail would be my front runner for this :wasteful: trip.
It's an ideal vehicle. Just expensive asf on the used market. A solid Xterra or JGC is like $10k less.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm

I don't think you'll regret quitting this particular job on your deathbed. Obviously, this looks like a ton of fun.

Suggestions:

1. Let Alaska go for another trip. There is plenty of amazing shit there in the lower 48 to cram into three months. Your Colorado list is pretty skinny and not putting Utah on a trip like that, particularly a Mountain Bike-centric one, is felonious. What it lacks in watering holes, pound for pound it is one of the top three awe inspiring natural beauty states in the U.S., imho. Glacier National in Montana also a major oversight, too close to Banff to miss. LA to San Francisco on highway 1 is also must see TV if you've never done it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm not the boss of you. Shit, the best part of the whole deal will probably doing the Johnny Paycheck on your jerb.
Dat Bixby Canyon Bridge doe.

Shit. Depending on when he's out here in CA, I'd take some time off of work and give him some company on the road for a few days if he wanted it then just fly home from wherever.
:notbad: Pick you up, tootle around, meet up with Max so he can show us Death Valley.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pmI don't think you'll regret quitting this particular job on your deathbed. Obviously, this looks like a ton of fun.

Suggestions:

1. Let Alaska go for another trip. There is plenty of amazing shit there in the lower 48 to cram into three months. Your Colorado list is pretty skinny and not putting Utah on a trip like that, particularly a Mountain Bike-centric one, is felonious. What it lacks in watering holes, pound for pound it is one of the top three awe inspiring natural beauty states in the U.S., imho. Glacier National in Montana also a major oversight, too close to Banff to miss. LA to San Francisco on highway 1 is also must see TV if you've never done it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm not the boss of you. Shit, the best part of the whole deal will probably be doing the Johnny Paycheck on your jerb.
I saw Bryce and Zion and a bunch of Utah a few years ago. Could go back, but have never been to Canyonlands so that would take the priority. I should add Glacier. Colorado would be stopping in Denver for a few days to hang out with some MTB friends, hit some trails, then make my way into the mountains and hopefully drive over a handful of passes. Base camp would be Ouray or somewhere like it. Stay there for a few days, maybe like a week.

Alaska is far for sure. Not the ideal time to visit Denali. Or really Jasper and Banff either but I'd still want to go to those.

I hate my job, and want out. Now would be the time to do this, before having a kid. Gotta start at making a baby this year.

The Ouray/Telluride/Million Dollar Highway is some of the most stunning scenery in America, without question.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:09 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Dat Bixby Canyon Bridge doe.

Shit. Depending on when he's out here in CA, I'd take some time off of work and give him some company on the road for a few days if he wanted it then just fly home from wherever.
:notbad: Pick you up, tootle around, meet up with Max so he can show us Death Valley.
Yeah I'd be down for that.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm I think the T4R Trail would be my front runner for this :wasteful: trip.
It's an ideal vehicle. Just expensive asf on the used market. A solid Xterra or JGC is like $10k less.
I prefer the aesthetics of the T4R over both JGC and Xterra. $10k is no small chunk of change doe.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm

I prefer the aesthetics of the T4R over both JGC and Xterra. $10k is no small chunk of change doe.
And you'll still have most of that $10 at the end because the things hold value like crazy.
Johnny_P

Like this one is nice
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

8 model years old, 87k miles, $22 large. New they're high 30s.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

And you'll still have most of that $10 at the end because the things hold value like crazy.
It's wild. They're crazier than Wranglers.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:04 pm

I saw Bryce and Zion and a bunch of Utah a few years ago. Could go back, but have never been to Canyonlands so that would take the priority. I should add Glacier. Colorado would be stopping in Denver for a few days to hang out with some MTB friends, hit some trails, then make my way into the mountains and hopefully drive over a handful of passes. Base camp would be Ouray or somewhere like it. Stay there for a few days, maybe like a week.

Alaska is far for sure. Not the ideal time to visit Denali. Or really Jasper and Banff either but I'd still want to go to those.

I hate my job, and want out. Now would be the time to do this, before having a kid. Gotta start at making a baby this year.

The Ouray/Telluride/Million Dollar Highway is some of the most stunning scenery in America, without question.
Imogene pass, Black Bear pass (but likely not the drop into Telluride, just out and back), Engineer pass, and Yankee Boy Basin are the ones in my head right meow.

I THINK they're all do-able in a stock 4Runner style vehicle. Would need good tires, rock rails, and skid plates likely.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Like this one is nice

You need to get one, for this feature alone:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Like this one is nice

You need to get one, for this feature alone:
:hubba:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:34 pm :hubba:
Apex

Bosslady told me to :gtfo: it's Friday before a long weekend.
:carlton: :fuckyeah:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Is she coming with you?
Obviously not

I'll check back in this thread in 2020 while :wasteful: is still working in the plant.
:pftch:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Sell STI

Buy FS mountain bike

Buy... TBD, but the front runners are a Tacoma TRD Off Road with a topper, 4Runner Trail, JGC, maybe Xterra Bro-Forx.

Roof rack. Jerry cans on roof. Shovel and axe mounts. Snow chains and recovery gear in box on roof. Remove rear seats. Install cargo hold down system with a sleeping platform to use in emergencies. Bike inside back, behind driver. Camp stove, cooking shit, Yeti cooler. Retina searing fog lights. Deep cycle marine spec battery, 12v connections and USB chargers in the back. Throw in tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc. Garmin InReach and subscription. Gaia on a tablet or my chromebook. Maybe a CB.

Tour US and Canuckistan for roughly 3 months. Visit some friends I have throughout country. Visit some DFDers. Visit parents. Etc. Rough plan:
-Charlotte
-Birmingham
-Canyonlands
-Antelope Canyon
-Grand Canyon
-Sedona
-Joshua Tree
-LA
-Death Valley, Auburn Hills area
-Sequoia, Kings Valley
-Oregon?
-Seattle
-Anchorage
-Denali
-Jasper NP of Canada
-Banff NP of Canada
-Fart around in Montana
-Yellowstone
-Denver
-Ouray and mountain passes
-Telluride
-Minneapolis
-Chicago
-Detroit
-Toronto

Would involve quitting job. Job search for 6 months when I get home.

Wrench in all this is the timeframe. Mountain passes aren't really going to be open in June. Denali will be a mess until at least mid May.
I don't think you'll regret quitting this particular job on your deathbed. Obviously, this looks like a ton of fun.

Suggestions:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm not the boss of you. Shit, the best part of the whole deal will probably be doing the Johnny Paycheck on your jerb.
Seriously.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

STi gets the boot for a GTR? :fuckyeah:
Sell STI

Buy FS mountain bike

Buy... TBD, but the front runners are a Tacoma TRD Off Road with a topper, 4Runner Trail, JGC, maybe Xterra Bro-Forx.

Roof rack. Jerry cans on roof. Shovel and axe mounts. Snow chains and recovery gear in box on roof. Remove rear seats. Install cargo hold down system with a sleeping platform to use in emergencies. Bike inside back, behind driver. Camp stove, cooking shit, Yeti cooler. Retina searing fog lights. Deep cycle marine spec battery, 12v connections and USB chargers in the back. Throw in tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc. Garmin InReach and subscription. Gaia on a tablet or my chromebook. Maybe a CB.

Tour US and Canuckistan for roughly 3 months. Visit some friends I have throughout country. Visit some DFDers. Visit parents. Etc. Rough plan:
-Charlotte
-Birmingham
-Canyonlands
-Antelope Canyon
-Grand Canyon
-Sedona
-Joshua Tree
-LA
-Sequoia, Kings Valley
-Oregon?
-Seattle
-Anchorage
-Denali
-Jasper NP of Canada
-Banff NP of Canada
-Fart around in Montana
-Yellowstone
-Denver
-Telluride
-Minneapolis
-Chicago
-Detroit
-Toronto

Wrench in all this is the timeframe. Mountain passes aren't really going to be open in June. Denali will be a mess until at least mid May.
:fuckyeah:

I'm legit :jelly: , fiance already kick you out or something?
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm Bosslady told me to :gtfo: it's Friday before a long weekend.
:carlton: :fuckyeah:
:notbad: :fuckyeah:
Apex

Who gets the :doge: during this adventure?

Also, gave me idea for a shovel mount. Thanks :wasteful:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Just read up on the master plan, drop ring then head for the hills... :like: and :godspeed:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Shit I want to hit the road for 3 months.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also I'm pretty pumped about :wasteful: coming to Toronto and :mahtroy: moving closer! :fuckyeah: , DFD Toronto :docks:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Invoiced a shit load for Dec/Jan.... time to pay myself next week! Wootwoot
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

STi gets the boot for a GTR? :fuckyeah:
Sell STI

Buy FS mountain bike

-Charlotte
-Birmingham
-Canyonlands
-Antelope Canyon
-Grand Canyon
-Sedona
-Joshua Tree
-LA
-Sequoia, Kings Valley
-Oregon?
-Seattle
-Anchorage
-Denali
-Jasper NP of Canada
-Banff NP of Canada
-Fart around in Montana
-Yellowstone
-Denver
-Telluride
-Minneapolis
-Chicago
-Detroit
-Toronto

Ahem.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm Shit I want to hit the road for 3 months.
I've been percolating something similar as a retirement trip. I want to circumnavigate 'Murica, Francis Drake style.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm Who gets the :doge: during this adventure?

Also, gave me idea for a shovel mount. Thanks :wasteful:
Lisa takes the pup. I'd love to take her but A) she's a wimp in the cold and B) national parks aren't the most dog friendly facilities with many requiring you cage them when you're not around.

Shovel mount and axe mount can be on the same jimjam on your rail system.