Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 am
That's what's happening exactly.
This is what happens when cooperate tax rates drop. Money gets extracted instead on reinvested.

Cooperate tax rate during the "golden years" of the middle class was 90%
FWIW, my company took the tax break to offset insurance cost (premium and deductibles) for those making less than $60k.

My inner :caspian: thinks our company has banked on our annual variable compensation (bonuses) to offset the lack of salary growth.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:26 am

This is what happens when cooperate tax rates drop. Money gets extracted instead on reinvested.

:dat:

What's the point anymore?
Mans gotta eat
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:14 am

I'm fairly certain I've effectively peaked my salary here, even though we don't have any official caps. Outside of the standard 2-3% they through us to adjust for COL/inflation, I don't expect to see any significant "promotion" bumps of 5-10% like we used to see.
#metoo

couple more years experience and i might have to consider a move if they don't keep up with inflation.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 am

I'm fairly certain I've effectively peaked my salary here, even though we don't have any official caps. Outside of the standard 2-3% they through us to adjust for COL/inflation, I don't expect to see any significant "promotion" bumps of 5-10% like we used to see.
#metoo

couple more years experience and i might have to consider a move if they don't keep up with inflation.
:word:
The only way to make moar money is to jump ship.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:33 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 am

#metoo

:word:
The only way to make moar money is to jump ship.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thedude wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I just introduced :wrong: to TCL.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... t112733803

:trollface:
LOL

That's funny. I tried watching the guys vids but just can't do it... how can you sit there and watch a guy just driving in a line of cars for 20 minutes?
:dat: :whocares:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Thedude wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 pm I just introduced :wrong: to TCL.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... t112733803

:trollface:
LOL

That's funny. I tried watching the guys vids but just can't do it... how can you sit there and watch a guy just driving in a line of cars for 20 minutes?
That is a wonderful question.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 am Company announced "voluntary severance" (buyouts) today with involuntary severance (layoffs) to follow at the 1st of the year if enough people don't take the voluntary :dill:

It's happening. :nuke:
:( :doomed:
Good luck, dude.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:
Thedude wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am LOL

It happens pretty quick in the video if you skip forward.

I think I probably only skipped forward to see if they were driving like assholes and then when I found the satisfaction I wanted, I call them out on their :poop:

Lane crossing is unacceptable.
I crossed a lane this morning.

Flagger force told me to :trollface:

:therapist:
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:00 am halloween spirit

Cute
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:15 am
[user not found] wrote:

I think I probably only skipped forward to see if they were driving like assholes and then when I found the satisfaction I wanted, I call them out on their :poop:

:howdareu:
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 am

What's the buy out amount?
6 mos pay. I'd take it in a second, but I'm "not eligible".

:|
FWIW I took a 6 month buyout once, a lifetime ago back in 1990 to leave a job I hated. I ended up being un/underemployed for about 18 months before landing the job I'm still at now, so it worked out ok in the long run. YMMV etc. :csb:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 am
6 mos pay. I'd take it in a second, but I'm "not eligible".

:|
FWIW I took a 6 month buyout once, a lifetime ago back in 1990 to leave a job I hated. I ended up being un/underemployed for about 18 months before landing the job I'm still at now, so it worked out ok in the long run. YMMV etc. :csb:
Interesting. It's not an option for me anyway, but interesting feedback. Seems like 6 mos would be enough time to find a new gig, but perhaps not.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 am
The auto industry is getting hammered in every way. Interest rates rising make vehicles less "affordable". Material costs are skyrocketing due to policy decisions (tarrifs), which is squeezing profits and requiring price increases that the customer can't bear due to increasing interest. Vehicles are INCREDIBLY expensive to engineer and produce, so the structural costs are astronomical. Traditionally, the auto industry is the bellwether for a recession...it starts with voluntary severance, but has a domino effect across the economy. With how it's going now, we probably have another 12-18 mos before full blown recession.
:word: a downturn is coming. Our market is likely at or near peak right now, but we had anticipated a cooling off in Q2 and it hasn't. We're now predicting momentum to carry us into Q1 2019. I'm not sure the old market norms apply anymore - All the signs were there for us too cool off in the 2nd half of this year. Generally boat/RV sales would have slowed long ago (as a signal for a slowdown) - it's weird.

I'm a bit more optimistic when it comes to a full on recession, I think an economic slowdown is more likely. It feels like companies have operated much more lean since 2008.
Just expect larger and larger swings. Longer/bigger highs with some really bad lows. Its the cycle of it now.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

In my company we'll be taking an earnings lift for 2018 (because rates had already been set prior to tax reform) but then 2019 and beyond we'll be passing it back to the customers.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 am

In my company we'll be taking an earnings lift for 2018 (because rates had already been set prior to tax reform) but then 2019 and beyond we'll be passing it back to the customers.
CSB
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Im pretty happy with a 3% bump each year. Unless you get to a salary +profit % or a partner/shareholder scenario most job positions cap out around $100k.

I really just can't understand white collar people that bitch and moan about any raise that happens each year. I mean, I see where you are coming from but why not be happy with what you get or renegotiate a performance incentive if you really are worth it.

When you are swinging in the middle of middle class, it becomes easy to forget all the people stuck making $50k (on a good day) with zero chance of that COL "bump" raise.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Calvinball wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:15 am
[user not found] wrote:

Ever drive around Logan Circle in Philly? It's a damn free for all, nobody can stay in their lanes.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:30 am
Interesting. It's not an option for me anyway, but interesting feedback. Seems like 6 mos would be enough time to find a new gig, but perhaps not.
You just bought a new :haus: in the car capital of the world.

If the auto industry is tightening their belts, I wouldn't want to take a buyout right now. Or get laid off. I may be wrong, but I'd say your housing market is about to endure a strong correction.
Not wrong. D-town is basically all car companies. If car companies hurt, D-town hurts. Loss of jobs means people moving out, unable to sell homes, foreclosures, etc. All depends on how severe the cuts are.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Thedude wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 am

I barely touch IPAs anymore after overdosing on the batch my buddy brought back from new england. Treehouse Brewery and Alchemy Brewing. Heavy hitters. I had a 2-day hangover.
How many did you drink? I usually just have one or two. Three if I'm really thirsty.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am

You just bought a new :haus: in the car capital of the world.

If the auto industry is tightening their belts, I wouldn't want to take a buyout right now. Or get laid off. I may be wrong, but I'd say your housing market is about to endure a strong correction.
Not wrong. D-town is basically all car companies. If car companies hurt, D-town hurts. Loss of jobs means people moving out, unable to sell homes, foreclosures, etc. All depends on how severe the cuts are.
I just hope they stay on the east side of the state.

Bunch of overpaid people with little skill and zero chance of every making that type of money again .

People can hardly read making 100k
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 am Company announced "voluntary severance" (buyouts) today with involuntary severance (layoffs) to follow at the 1st of the year if enough people don't take the voluntary :dill:

It's happening. :nuke:
:sad:

Over here we're building engines at a record pace and just posted our best Q3 in the company's history. It's coming though. Company is attempting to avoid any reduction for 2019 (100th Anniversary) by not back-filling some open positions. Would not be surprised to see early retirement packages though and potentially layoffs in 2020 depending on what the markets do.
To be fair though, you guys also do more B2B and industrial level stuff (I’ve seen generators at our buildings) compared to straight auto industry.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 am
Thedude wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am

How many did you drink? I usually just have one or two. Three if I'm really thirsty.
wap

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 am

:sad:

Over here we're building engines at a record pace and just posted our best Q3 in the company's history. It's coming though. Company is attempting to avoid any reduction for 2019 (100th Anniversary) by not back-filling some open positions. Would not be surprised to see early retirement packages though and potentially layoffs in 2020 depending on what the markets do.
To be fair though, you guys also do more B2B and industrial level stuff (I’ve seen generators at our buildings) compared to straight auto industry.
GM puts a lot of engines in other things too.