OT 15: New Year, New Poo

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

IMO, inspections get even more crucial in states that have icing problems and salt usage. PA checks, among other things, that light bulbs work, wipers are not torn, horn works, brake pads, battery performance, excessive rust, and tire tread depth.

Just about all of that is necessary to keep people in the cars and people around those cars safe over bad road conditions.
Wow. Illinois doesn't have any of that, either. The level of :fullretard: beaters here is :disgust: Plastic garbage bags and duct tape is a common replacement for a busted side window and red cellophane tape for a broke/missing tail light lens. And we only have to do annual emissions inspections once a car reaches a certain age.
There's quite a bit of stuff PA does wrong (look at our lol liquor laws for example) but they do this right. Is a yearly check that costs $35 encroaching on your freedumbs? Maybe. But it's also preventing you from negligently killing or hurting people in your 4,000 lb rusted steel death trap with no brakes and corded tires. Even cars that are only a year old it makes sense because it'll catch a bad tire, or dragging brakes, or force people to change a light bulb that's burnt out (my VW burned a bulb within 5 months) etc.

Emissions is a different story though. Why do I have to test a brand new car off the lot? Should be exempt for 2-5 years.
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

Higher ride, it'll be easier to lift a kiddo onto the seat than plunk them down and into a car.
Fuel mileage will be much worse than your dadmobile.

Could get a crossover :doomed: I think they're rather ideal for this sort of crap.
Was thinking Turd pro 4runner but I know if get sick of that. Too big of a pendulum swing from what o really want.

I'll probably just stick it out for another 3 years at was the original plan and get a sport sedan.
Just be sure to take it on a decent test drive. The one I drove..... woof. No thanks. Worst brakes I've ever encountered, plus it skipped sideways going over some rough-ish roads on a turn. Also they're slow. Bah.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:45 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am

Looked at Colorado stats and the back seat is smaller but maybe easier to access...

Dat gas mileage doe....I remember 2008 when I had my Nismo Frontier
I :wub: mah Colorado. Super easy to get the kiddo in her car seat, rear-facing behind the passenger seat. Wifey still has room to move the seat forward if she needed to. It probably has a lot to do with the height, I can get her buckled in her seat in no-time and I'm barely bending down, aside from picking her up into the seat. Will be easier when she goes forward-facing.

I'm averaging right above 18mpg in my usual commute driving. If I'm running some highway slab for awhile it bumps over 22mpg.
Diesel ZR2 midnight edition would be pretty sweet
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am

How old are the kiddies? I do it in a golf with a 6 & 3 yr old and enjoy it. The 3 yr old get a head clonk once in a blue moon if I swing him into his seat too quickly/accidentally on the wrong angle. Sometimes you just need a :truk: doe.
19 months and almost 4. The rear facing seat is the problem. 4 year old gets in and out on his own no problem. So in a year this won't be an issue fingers crossed

Sold my 2 door GTI for this same reason and thought 4dr was the answer. Something take would be ideal.

When I have the van we tend to go more places.
That's it right there. That's the reason I want some dopey automatic lame thing. Because I'll use it more. IMO it's worth changing it up just for that aspect.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:53 am

Was thinking Turd pro 4runner but I know if get sick of that. Too big of a pendulum swing from what o really want.

I'll probably just stick it out for another 3 years at was the original plan and get a sport sedan.
Just be sure to take it on a decent test drive. The one I drove..... woof. No thanks. Worst brakes I've ever encountered, plus it skipped sideways going over some rough-ish roads on a turn. Also they're slow. Bah.
It may have been poorly modded though. I don't know if the suspension was stock but the tires certainly were more aggressive mud/offroad tires than stock.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:58 am 60 degrees outside.

AC is on full blast in the office. My fingers are purple. I have a hoody on at my desk.

I might buy a space heater. This is absurd.
:bruh:

https://www.indeed.com/
I did not know about indeed. Nice site. Made an acct and uploaded the resume. I'll poke around more on there tonight but already found a few jobs in the area that look decent-ish.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 am

It may have been poorly modded though. I don't know if the suspension was stock but the tires certainly were more aggressive mud/offroad tires than stock.
I'll probably go all terrain tires on the Jeep when I replace them instead of the MT tires since I don't do a lot of off-road stuff.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 am

I did not know about indeed. Nice site. Made an acct and uploaded the resume. I'll poke around more on there tonight but already found a few jobs in the area that look decent-ish.
It's my go-to for applying for jobs. WHen I'm pissed at work and I want to feel like I'm trying to get out of a shit situation, I'll filter for "apply from you phone" jobs and just fire off 5 applications in 20 minutes with minimal effort.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 am

I'll probably go all terrain tires on the Jeep when I replace them instead of the MT tires since I don't do a lot of off-road stuff.
Do yours vibrate and hum? These ones did, I found that moderately annoying, but would make the trade off if I were off roading it on the regular.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Yeah. That is the issues with the 4runner. So outdated
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am

It's my go-to for applying for jobs. WHen I'm pissed at work and I want to feel like I'm trying to get out of a shit situation, I'll filter for "apply from you phone" jobs and just fire off 5 applications in 20 minutes with minimal effort.
Oh wow there's an app? Will get that. And use it on the company phone. To apply for jobs to leave said company.

:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:ohdang:

I've never tried getting a job using it, but know others that have with success.

:doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Make sure you rotate them often...like too often.

When I had my JK Rubicon, I waited 9k miles to rotate the tires, and that was too long. They developed some weird wear pattern and they made way too much noise. Rotate often, and rotate in the spare if you can.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

When I had my JK Rubicon, I waited 9k miles to rotate the tires, and that was too long. They developed some weird wear pattern and they made way too much noise. Rotate often, and rotate in the spare if you can.
:dat: every 3-5k.
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah. That is the issues with the 4runner. So outdated
I like the interior and it certainly does have a commanding presence/feel. Upright windshield for that tank-like driving view. Roll down rear window. It's fun for sure, just ancient chassis dynamics, transmission, performance, fuel economy, etc.

Maybe the brakes on this one needed to be bled. Or the flatbrim that owned it installed some retard stainless steel likes and didn't bleed correctly or something. But the brakes were downright terrifying. What felt like 4" of travel on the pedal with an air woosh sound before they did anything, added about a full second to braking reactions.

Handling was also terrifying. 20 MPH around an onramp was too much for that lumbering pos to handle.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm

:ohdang:

I've never tried getting a job using it, but know others that have with success.

:doit:
Also found out Augusta Westland (helicopter and tiltrotor aircraft manufacturer) is hiring a bunch of people. A good friend of mine from college is rather high up there. Hmmmmm.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Oh so 2x as much as oil changes? Wait what?
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am 19 months and almost 4. The rear facing seat is the problem. 4 year old gets in and out on his own no problem. So in a year this won't be an issue fingers crossed

Sold my 2 door GTI for this same reason and thought 4dr was the answer. Something take would be ideal.

When I have the van we tend to go more places.
That's it right there. That's the reason I want some dopey automatic lame thing. Because I'll use it more. IMO it's worth changing it up just for that aspect.
It was pretty great being in a minivan for our Maine trip this weekend instead of being crammed into the shitvic.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Basically.

:triggered:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

yeah, especially on those MT tars. They develop bad wear patterns quickly. :science:

Or you drop $1800 on tars every 2 years or learn to live with the wah wah wah wah wah wha wah noise.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Basically.

That's once a year for me. :lolol: :fuckyeah:

I "rotate my tires" when I pull them out of the basement to swap the sets out.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 pm

yeah, especially on those MT tars. They develop bad wear patterns quickly. :science:

Or you drop $1800 on tars every 2 years or learn to live with the wah wah wah wah wah wha wah noise.
Rotating isn't bad just takes an hour or two.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Basically.

:jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep:

:aintcare: becasue resale value bruh
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
It was pretty great being in a minivan for our Maine trip this weekend instead of being crammed into the shitvic.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:notbad: pics?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Or you could do more off-road stuff.