Sonos - Diving In

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am I am planning on jumping into the Sonos game and would love feedback from anyone that's done this.

First, I am going with Sonos Ones over the Play:1 for a few reasons:
- I probably will use google assistant once it gets added but possibly not.
- the play:1 is getting old and the reason they can't airplay work due to memory constraints. I don't use airplay but this tells me it's probably getting into end of life
- other: I am not using a Play:5 at this point but might in the future

Plan is:
Two for the kitchen in a stereo pair
One in the office
One in the master bedroom
One in the den

The den and the kitchen are one great room but I would zone them separately so I have more control over house volume through the house.

Thoughts?
:whocares: :wasteful: :waxer: :alpo:

:trollface:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

:whocares: :wasteful: :waxer: :alpo:

:trollface:
That's why I love you.

I figured our resident cheapo airboaters or our trudennilas would have some experience in this type of shit.
I'm just here to defend the honor of the mighty Fiesta ST and tell everyone that their motorcycle preferences are :wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:36 am

I'm just here to defend the honor of the mighty Fiesta ST and tell everyone that their motorcycle preferences are :wrong:
Harley, right?
:triggered: :howdareu: :gtfo:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I have a Sonos in my garage. My boss got it for a christmas gift for all of us a couple of years ago because he has them in his house and he loves them. I slapped it in the garage for when I'm working on stuff. I have no clue which one I've got, but it's about 4X4X6 or so. It gets LOUD. And can be controlled via Wifi. I run it off Pandora. I love that thing and would gladly get another 1 or 2 for the rest of the house if I was looking for something to play music or whatever in multiple locations.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am I am planning on jumping into the Sonos game and would love feedback from anyone that's done this.

- the play:1 is getting old and the reason they can't airplay work due to memory constraints. I don't use airplay but this tells me it's probably getting into end of life

Plan is:
One in the office
One in the den

The den and the kitchen are one great room but I would zone them separately so I have more control over house volume through the house.

Thoughts?
i have no experience with sonos, but those smart speakers are more infuriating than helpful these days to me.

If the sonos have a good app for slining content I think you will be happy. If you have to ask the bitch to play things... :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I’m a fan.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am I’m a fan.

Your previous comments almost made me go with a big boy for the whole downstairs instead of several little ones. That might be the eventual plan moving the little ones to other rooms.
I have the big one in the living room, but kitchen is where it is used the most and I prefer having two small ones paired for stereo there.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

if you are ready to buy all in on a all in one system, I think its a great option.

I dont like the price point of it but it does sound great. Just not great for the $, which comparable sound can be had for less. That is my only gripe.

For a plug and play with all in one app to make great noises and zones, sure. Just too :waxer: for my tastes.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pmOrdered!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Plan is:
One in the office
One in the den

Thoughts?
My experience is limited... had one at an airBNB we rented. I really liked it, enough to look it up after, but then :nope: out due to :scrooge: . It was really easy to use, no BT drop out :bs: if you have your phone in your pocket and walk around your house or whatever, which is really nice.

I agree with :eeyore: that it's pricey, but it is good, so probably worth it if you value the convenience.

I'm curious how they play in stereo on a single unit? I guess there are two sets of drivers in each unit. Ideally your stereo image should be separated, but if you're in your kitchen, moving about, etc. it kind of doesn't matter. I don't think I'd choose it for a movie/music room where you're sitting in a proper listening position (or would do two separated units L and R) but it seems ideal for around the house stuff.

It certainly sounds good to my ears.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Lisa uses those in the shop. IIRC she has two set up and it completely fills the space. Surprising amount of bass out of those speakers too. No audio drop outs, and their ipad or her phone can control it.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Their quarterly earnings report was sort of :eeyore:

You’d probably put them in the black with your purchase. :waxer:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am Their quarterly earnings report was sort of :eeyore:

You’d probably put them in the black with your purchase. :waxer:
:whocares:

Product is good.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am I set up the first floor speakers yesterday and am just thrilled with them.

The sound quality for such a little speakers is excellent. They will get way louder than I would ever need or want.

Setup is so easy. Just a couple minutes per speaker.

The app is excellent and makes all the connections to your services. It doesn't matter that I don't have Apple music on my phone, I can still play stuff out if the wife's apple music account from my phone to the Sonos.

What else do you guys want to know.
ASL?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am I set up the first floor speakers yesterday and am just thrilled with them.

The sound quality for such a little speakers is excellent. They will get way louder than I would ever need or want.

Setup is so easy. Just a couple minutes per speaker.

The app is excellent and makes all the connections to your services. It doesn't matter that I don't have Apple music on my phone, I can still play stuff out if the wife's apple music account from my phone to the Sonos.

What else do you guys want to know.
:wrong:

Sounds like shit.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:54 am Oh, one of the best parts is the app was easy enough to use that my wife figured it out on her own in about thirty seconds and actually used it. This in and of itself is a victory.
:alpoluck: strikes again
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Ok I'm sold on them. What's the deal, they sit in a corner? Look good? Wireless power or plugged in? How much are they? I'm only wanting to do main floor and possibly basement. Each level has two big rooms essentially. Are they all synced up or do you choose which speaks play at any given time?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So with that feedback i can see myself buying one speaker per large room. I might start with three, for the upcoming venue and add extra as I feel like adding extra rooms down the road.

How far away can you take your music source before you'll lose the signal?
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am So with that feedback i can see myself buying one speaker per large room. I might start with three, for the upcoming venue and add extra as I feel like adding extra rooms down the road.

If you're in reception of your home wifi they're connected
Johnny_P

For whatever it's worth, Lisa has two of these in her shop and it fills the space. Going on 2 years with them operating every day, no issues.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am So with that feedback i can see myself buying one speaker per large room. I might start with three, for the upcoming venue and add extra as I feel like adding extra rooms down the road.

As long as you're on the wifi network you're good. This is the huge advantage over Bluetooth.
I mean. My bluetooth speaker starts to cut out if I go to the other side of the room :lol:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:54 am Oh, one of the best parts is the app was easy enough to use that my wife figured it out on her own in about thirty seconds and actually used it. This in and of itself is a victory.
thats why it cost so much. Poor wominz
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ok perfect. Thats what i need. Its worth the cash. How big is Lisa's shop? You guys put them up high? To look good i want to tuck them into a corner, speakers unobstructed of course.

I'm legit excited about these.
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:I will take some pictures tonight. They come in black and white and I got a mix so they fit with the room. They do need to be powered but otherwise are on wifi. They have the ability to create their own wifi network as well as long as one is plugged into your router via Ethernet.

The speakers sync by room then you can group or ungroup rooms any way that makes sense and on the fly.

These were $200 each, but they start as low as $150 and go up to $500ish. I probably didn't need two for my kitchen.
Volume-wise yeah one is enough for a kitchen, I like having two though so they play in stereo.