Is it even possible to be completely "open-minded"?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am
:fuckyeah: will do.

My brain NEVER turns off, and I often desperately want it to. I will start with this.
I used to teach yoga and meditation as my primary profession when I lived in NYC and have had my own personal practice for 18 years. This is the method that finally gave me the baseline to learn more meditation techniques.
No kidding? What kind of yoga? I just started basic yoga namaskar a few weeks ago.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am

Who decides what has meaning and what doesn't? Does someone get to decide that for you?
Reality.
Oh, that thing that no one knows what it is or can explain? Interesting.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am

Reality.
Be nice if everything had a greater meaning and everything could be explained.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

While I'm at it, it'd Be nice if my digestive system created gold bricks
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 am Mushin is at the core of Zen and Japanese martial arts. It is a state of mind where the mind is not fixed on or occupied by any thought or emotion and is thus connected to the Cosmos.

In Zen on in your daily life, if the impulse is expressed as conscious thought, it is not Zen.

This pure state of mind, of pure mental clarity, is produced by the absence of the ego or limited self. A Mushin mind is not an empty mind like an empty shell, on the contrary, is it a mind fully present, aware and free.

"Mu" or "emptiness" in Mushin refers to an empty mind in the sense that distractions, preoccupations, fears, worries, are absent and are no more an issue for the mind, whether in combat or daily life.

The concept of Mushin is identical to the Japanese metaphorical expression "Mizu no Kokoro" or the "mind like water." This mental attitude refers to a mind that is in total harmony with the Cosmos that it resembles a still pond of water without any ripples where the surface reflects a clear and perfectly undistorted image of the surroundings, like a mirror.

Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, or the ego during combat or everyday life.
Mushin cannot be grasped by the intellect; it must be experienced. A Mushin mind has no Ego and no substance; it is pure Enlightenment and is the perfect realization of the self.

This state of mind takes years and years of practice to achieve. Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, judgment or the ego during combat or everyday life.
Is this something you practice?
I try to. I started with the 8 limbs of yoga and the various stages folded into them in terms of advancing myself towards peace and enlightenment. Mushin is another word for one of those stages. Niyamas are the main things I focus on day to day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niyama (Niyamas being one of the 8 limbs of Yoga).
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am

I'm interested in discussing these ideas so if you are just playing around... I get it. Fine. It's fun. But if you really do believe that reality dictates what has meaning or not can you explain how? I find the notion almost impossible to believe.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am

Is this something you practice?
I try to. I started with the 8 limbs of yoga and the various stages folded into them in terms of advancing myself towards peace and enlightenment. Mushin is another word for one of those stages. Niyamas are the main things I focus on day to day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niyama (Niyamas being one of the 8 limbs of Yoga).
Then when all else fails, you can cut stuff up with cool swords.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

^see? there I go being all closed minded :lol:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:20 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am

I'm interested in discussing these ideas so if you are just playing around... I get it. Fine. It's fun. But if you really do believe that reality dictates what has meaning or not can you explain how? I find the notion almost impossible to believe.
Tbh, you're way down the path and I'm just learning to walk. I think you'd do better with someone else while I observe.

I do like reading your thought doe
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

I used to teach yoga and meditation as my primary profession when I lived in NYC and have had my own personal practice for 18 years. This is the method that finally gave me the baseline to learn more meditation techniques.
No kidding? What kind of yoga? I just started basic yoga namaskar a few weeks ago.
I started with Ashtanga primary series and have taken tons of workshops and classes with any style I could find. I've taught and practiced Iyengar, vinyasa flow, Anusara influenced, power yoga, Kundalini, Pre/Post Natal yoga, restorative, Yin Yoga, Partner Yoga, Acro Yoga and have only practiced aerial yoga.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am

Hey man.. Fun is fun. I think swinging swords is great fun. :D
Apex

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

I started with Ashtanga primary series and have taken tons of workshops and classes with any style I could find. I've taught and practiced Iyengar, vinyasa flow, Anusara influenced, power yoga, Kundalini, Pre/Post Natal yoga, restorative, Yin Yoga, Partner Yoga, Acro Yoga and have only practiced aerial yoga.
Power yoga? What's that?
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am

Power yoga? What's that?
It's an early rip off of Ashtanga, not really much difference between that and Vinyasa flow. Another physically intensive class. There are tons of cute names out there for Asana practice.
Apex

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 am

Not to bring this any more off-topic, but I was trying to remember anything that you said about Warhammer 40k while I was staring at the shelves of it in Barnes and Noble the other day. We should bring back that thread... I need some good books or tabletop stuff.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 am

Meaning talking to them after they learned to meditate?
Yeah basically. Do they continue to see you after they have learned to do it themselves?
The ones I've kept up with after I left NYC ended up happier people. They found the reduction of mental noise helped their work lives tremendously and gave them more patience in their personal lives.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 am

Not to bring this any more off-topic, but I was trying to remember anything that you said about Warhammer 40k while I was staring at the shelves of it in Barnes and Noble the other day. We should bring back that thread... I need some good books or tabletop stuff.
You should come over my house. I inherited most of the 40k library, you can have your pick.
Apex

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am

You should come over my house. I inherited most of the 40k library, you can have your pick.
:like: You let me know when works for you.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Can I come over too?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:58 am Can I come over too?
Of course. I have a air hockey table, a bunch of NES, SNES, Genesis games, above ground pool and a fire pit in my back yard. And a super friendly black cat.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 pm
Of course. I have a air hockey table, a bunch of NES, SNES, Genesis games, above ground pool and a fire pit in my back yard. And a super friendly black cat.
:fuckyeah: meditation wiTh cats
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tecmo Bowl?
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Tecmo Bowl?
Not yet but I can get it.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:22 am
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:20 am

Tbh, you're way down the path and I'm just learning to walk. I think you'd do better with someone else while I observe.

Thanks. I owe it to you to explain why I have hard time with the idea that reality dictates meaning.
Just watch a republican try to tell a democrat what something really means...
number one it doesn't work... ever...
and number two.... reality seems to be doing an awful job at dictating the meaning of whatever it is that they couldn't agree on.
Else the problem wouldn't exist.
And then you have the reality that the same thing can mean two different things to two different people...
and the meaning may not just be different ... it could be polar opposites.
Like same sex marriage... means something wonderful to one person and is an abomination to another.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

I mean, I'd like to think we are something special but it's all just unjustified wishful thinking trying to give meaning to the meaningless
This is my general belief but I think that because life is so transient the only way to truly extend life is through (hopefully) positive influence on others.
Well, that and a large jar of nutrient-rich formaldehyde to store your brain in.
:science:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks. I owe it to you to explain why I have hard time with the idea that reality dictates meaning.
Just watch a republican try to tell a democrat what something really means...
number one it doesn't work... ever...
and number two.... reality seems to be doing an awful job at dictating the meaning of whatever it is that they couldn't agree on.
Else the problem wouldn't exist.
And then you have the reality that the same thing can mean two different things to two different people...
and the meaning may not just be different ... it could be polar opposites.
Like same sex marriage... means something wonderful to one person and is an abomination to another.
Meaningless as in how any of that will affect anything in a million years.

Meaningless