Is it even possible to be completely "open-minded"?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks. I owe it to you to explain why I have hard time with the idea that reality dictates meaning.
Just watch a republican try to tell a democrat what something really means...
number one it doesn't work... ever...
and number two.... reality seems to be doing an awful job at dictating the meaning of whatever it is that they couldn't agree on.
Else the problem wouldn't exist.
And then you have the reality that the same thing can mean two different things to two different people...
and the meaning may not just be different ... it could be polar opposites.
Like same sex marriage... means something wonderful to one person and is an abomination to another.
Meaningless as in how any of that will affect anything in a million years.

Meaningless
Meaningless to who, tho?

Any meaning whatsoever requires a consciousness to assign it meaning.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am

I'm using the Headspace app. It's offers a lot of free content to start. That's all I'm using and the free stuff had been helpful and enough for me. At this point I'm not paying. I'm just doing the "basics" program

It has a lot of animations to help you understand what meditation is and help with expectations. Ib topically do 5 to 10 minutes per day and I feel super productive right after I do it.
Headspace is also a great place to start. I also use the Gaia app. Do either of you have Audible?
Gaia is advertising all over youtube now.
I like their purported ideas but something about their pay-for-video service kind of irks me....
there's another group... I forget the name...
But they produced the Samadhi series on youtube and I ended up donating to them
Good stuff
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Meaningless as in how any of that will affect anything in a million years.

Meaningless
Meaningless to who, tho?

I think I'm giving different meaning to the word meaning.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Meaningless to who, tho?

Meaningless as in "of no consequence" then?

Possibly true... impossible to know... but different topic altogether.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Yeah. This is where you expertise will only led to frustration with me.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm
Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Yeah. This is where you expertise will only led to frustration with me.
Frustration is my problem to work out... and I've been putting effort into just that... lil better everyday... except when not ;)

Translates into infinitely better relationships for sure
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

To answer the original thread question, since this is my first post in it, I say no.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm To answer the original thread question, since this is my first post in it, I say no.

Would you say this Is related to "unconscious bias" and all that that people are talking about these days?
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm To answer the original thread question, since this is my first post in it, I say no.

Would you say this Is related to "unconscious bias" and all that that people are talking about these days?
I honestly don’t know much about unconscious bias, I’m more thinking about the basics of how our minds function.

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm
Thedude wrote:
I honestly don’t know much about unconscious bias, I’m more thinking about the basics of how our minds function.

Thought that might be up your alley but I guess it's a pretty new (and a somewhat politically motivated) topic.
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm I honestly don’t know much about unconscious bias, I’m more thinking about the basics of how our minds function.

Thought that might be up your alley but I guess it's a pretty new (and a somewhat politically motivated) topic.
The little I know about it is that it’s more in the realm of pop psychology at this point, though some researchers are looking at it.

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm
Thedude wrote:
The little I know about it is that it’s more in the realm of pop psychology at this point, though some researchers are looking at it.

Actually looked into it and there's anywhere between 4 and 9 types of unconscious bias I've seen various sites talking about. Ranges from conformity bias to confirmation bias.

In a nutshell, all it means is people basically see what they want in various types of contexts... and they aren't aware that they aren't seeing reality for what it is.
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm The little I know about it is that it’s more in the realm of pop psychology at this point, though some researchers are looking at it.

Actually looked into it and there's anywhere between 4 and 9 types of unconscious bias I've seen various sites talking about. Ranges from conformity bias to confirmation bias.

In a nutshell, all it means is people basically see what they want in various types of contexts... and they aren't aware that they aren't seeing reality for what it is.
Ah ok, so it encompasses things like confirmation bias. I do know a bit about some of those.

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm
Thedude wrote:

Ah ok, so it encompasses things like confirmation bias. I do know a bit about some of those.

Duuuuuude this rabbit hole was pretty nuts... you follow it far enough and all you can conclude is that the human mind is just about the most unreliable thing out there.
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm Ah ok, so it encompasses things like confirmation bias. I do know a bit about some of those.

Duuuuuude this rabbit hole was pretty nuts... you follow it far enough and all you can conclude is that the human mind is just about the most unreliable thing out there.
Yep.

I’m familiar with confirmation biases and such, but I really learned a lot more about how memory works in my years in BH. Let’s talk about a crazy system fraught with errors...

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are genders binary ?
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 pm Are genders binary ?
Have you ever been to Thailand?
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Thedude wrote: Duuuuuude this rabbit hole was pretty nuts... you follow it far enough and all you can conclude is that the human mind is just about the most unreliable thing out there.
Yep.

I’m familiar with confirmation biases and such, but I really learned a lot more about how memory works in my years in BH. Let’s talk about a crazy system fraught with errors...

Thinking that these phenomena manifest themselves in things like witness testimony and false confessions far too often...
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 pm Yep.

Thinking that these phenomena manifest themselves in things like witness testimony and false confessions far too often...
Yep.

And as far as the thread question, the basic way our memory works is why I say no to true open mindedness.

We have sensory memory and emotional memory, and those things are tied together. Really basic example is the fight or flight response. Sensory memory of the sight and sound of a rattlesnake is attached to fear, this can happen even if you’ve never seen one in person, just from exposure to tv, movies, society...

So I would say unless you’ve lived a life completely devoid of memory (impossible) or any kind of negative emotions/experiences (also impossible) there is always going to be things that your initial emotional or knee jerk reaction to is “negative” in some way.

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 am
Thedude wrote:
Yep.

And as far as the thread question, the basic way our memory works is why I say no to true open mindedness.

We have sensory memory and emotional memory, and those things are tied together. Really basic example is the fight or flight response. Sensory memory of the sight and sound of a rattlesnake is attached to fear, this can happen even if you’ve never seen one in person, just from exposure to tv, movies, society...

So I would say unless you’ve lived a life completely devoid of memory (impossible) or any kind of negative emotions/experiences (also impossible) there is always going to be things that your initial emotional or knee jerk reaction to is “negative” in some way.

Positive, too, right? Halo effect ,and all...
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 am Yep.

Positive, too, right? Halo effect ,and all...
Sure, everything is on a spectrum.

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm
Thedude wrote: Positive, too, right? Halo effect ,and all...
Sure, everything is on a spectrum.

Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm Sure, everything is on a spectrum.

:lolol: