Is it even possible to be completely "open-minded"?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

So the answer is no
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

You basically have to hide your reactions, you're going to react internally, you just have to hide it externally better.

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 am So the answer is no
:dat:

Sorry dude, nice try, but looks like you're still not poking that brown eye.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm The only way to be entirely open-minded is to have no thoughts at all.
http://www.zen-buddhism.net/zen-concepts/mushin.html
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mushin is at the core of Zen and Japanese martial arts. It is a state of mind where the mind is not fixed on or occupied by any thought or emotion and is thus connected to the Cosmos.

In Zen on in your daily life, if the impulse is expressed as conscious thought, it is not Zen.

This pure state of mind, of pure mental clarity, is produced by the absence of the ego or limited self. A Mushin mind is not an empty mind like an empty shell, on the contrary, is it a mind fully present, aware and free.

"Mu" or "emptiness" in Mushin refers to an empty mind in the sense that distractions, preoccupations, fears, worries, are absent and are no more an issue for the mind, whether in combat or daily life.

The concept of Mushin is identical to the Japanese metaphorical expression "Mizu no Kokoro" or the "mind like water." This mental attitude refers to a mind that is in total harmony with the Cosmos that it resembles a still pond of water without any ripples where the surface reflects a clear and perfectly undistorted image of the surroundings, like a mirror.

Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, or the ego during combat or everyday life.
Mushin cannot be grasped by the intellect; it must be experienced. A Mushin mind has no Ego and no substance; it is pure Enlightenment and is the perfect realization of the self.

This state of mind takes years and years of practice to achieve. Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, judgment or the ego during combat or everyday life.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I've been practicing meditation lately and it had been really helping me

My mind had a tendency to race and bounce around and I don't give things their proper attention. I'm not dumb but my long term planning is poor because of my attention span. I think too "big"(not a complement) and the day to day things get lost. I'm hesitant to say I have ADD because of the negative connotation but I went through a pretty thourough diagnosis process before I was comfortable with that label. I used to take meds but I abused them so I stopped.

Meditation is helping me reign in my thoughts to be more present and slow them down to a better place for me to function. I'm just starting and at first it didn't really understand it but I'm glad I started at this point.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am I've been practicing meditation lately and it had been really helping me

My mind had a tendency to race and bounce around and I don't give things their proper attention. I'm not dumb but my long term planning is poor because of my attention span. I think too "big"(not a complement) and the day to day things get lost. I'm hesitant to say I have ADD because of the negative connotation but I went through a pretty thourough diagnosis process before I was comfortable with that label. I used to take meds but I abused them so I stopped.

Meditation is helping me reign in my thoughts to be more present and slow them down to a better place for me to function. I'm just starting and at first it didn't really understand it but I'm glad I started at this point.
even a little bit daily makes a world of difference.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am I've been practicing meditation lately and it had been really helping me

I need to work on this, personally. Anyone have tips to start practicing mediation?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am That's in person, the internet it totally different. It's ok to go all out in regards to name calling.
YOU CHICKEN FUCKER
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 am

I need to work on this, personally. Anyone have tips to start practicing mediation?
Sit up straight in a chair.
Rest your hands on your legs.
Close your eyes.
Maintain good posture, like a string is lifting the center of your chest straight up.
Work on having a full breath in and a full breath out with engaging any thoughts that come in.
Each breath in and out should be around 3-4 seconds each to maintain consistency.
The area between the inhale and exhale without tension in your body is where the magic happens.
This is your starting point. Try this for 5 minutes to start.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:33 am
Melon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am That's in person, the internet it totally different. It's ok to go all out in regards to name calling.
YOU CHICKEN FUCKER
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am
Close your eyes.
Maintain good posture, like a string is lifting the center of your chest straight up.
Work on having a full breath in and a full breath out with engaging any thoughts that come in.
Each breath in and out should be around 3-4 seconds each to maintain consistency.
The area between the inhale and exhale without tension in your body is where the magic happens.
:fuckyeah: will do.

My brain NEVER turns off, and I often desperately want it to. I will start with this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

Close your eyes.

My brain NEVER turns off, and I often desperately want it to. I will start with this.
I used to teach yoga and meditation as my primary profession when I lived in NYC and have had my own personal practice for 18 years. This is the method that finally gave me the baseline to learn more meditation techniques.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm using the Headspace app. It's offers a lot of free content to start. That's all I'm using and the free stuff had been helpful and enough for me. At this point I'm not paying. I'm just doing the "basics" program

It has a lot of animations to help you understand what meditation is and help with expectations. Ib topically do 5 to 10 minutes per day and I feel super productive right after I do it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am
I'm using the Headspace app. It's offers a lot of free content to start. That's all I'm using and the free stuff had been helpful and enough for me. At this point I'm not paying. I'm just doing the "basics" program

It has a lot of animations to help you understand what meditation is and help with expectations. Ib topically do 5 to 10 minutes per day and I feel super productive right after I do it.
Headspace is also a great place to start. I also use the Gaia app. Do either of you have Audible?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

These videos really helped me understand the purpose of meditation.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am

I used to teach yoga and meditation as my primary profession when I lived in NYC and have had my own personal practice for 18 years. This is the method that finally gave me the baseline to learn more meditation techniques.
Wow. Interesting af. Headspace is teaching exactly what you suggested.

Did you find you lost clients after they "learned" how to meditate?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am

Headspace is also a great place to start. I also use the Gaia app. Do either of you have Audible?
I don't. What's Gaia?
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 am
datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

Meaning talking to them after they learned to meditate?
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

I mean, I'd like to think we are something special but it's all just unjustified wishful thinking trying to give meaning to the meaningless
Who decides what has meaning and what doesn't? Does someone get to decide that for you?
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 am Mushin is at the core of Zen and Japanese martial arts. It is a state of mind where the mind is not fixed on or occupied by any thought or emotion and is thus connected to the Cosmos.

In Zen on in your daily life, if the impulse is expressed as conscious thought, it is not Zen.

This pure state of mind, of pure mental clarity, is produced by the absence of the ego or limited self. A Mushin mind is not an empty mind like an empty shell, on the contrary, is it a mind fully present, aware and free.

"Mu" or "emptiness" in Mushin refers to an empty mind in the sense that distractions, preoccupations, fears, worries, are absent and are no more an issue for the mind, whether in combat or daily life.

The concept of Mushin is identical to the Japanese metaphorical expression "Mizu no Kokoro" or the "mind like water." This mental attitude refers to a mind that is in total harmony with the Cosmos that it resembles a still pond of water without any ripples where the surface reflects a clear and perfectly undistorted image of the surroundings, like a mirror.

Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, or the ego during combat or everyday life.
Mushin cannot be grasped by the intellect; it must be experienced. A Mushin mind has no Ego and no substance; it is pure Enlightenment and is the perfect realization of the self.

This state of mind takes years and years of practice to achieve. Mushin is achieved when a person's mind is free from anger, fear, judgment or the ego during combat or everyday life.
Is this something you practice?
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Create a drive inside of you with strong intent otherwise it will just remain on the list indefinitely with all the other things that you never got around to doing.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 am

Meaning talking to them after they learned to meditate?
Yeah basically. Do they continue to see you after they have learned to do it themselves?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm What if we are just animals who evolved like everything else and were born by chance and will die and turn to dust?

I mean, I'd like to think we are something special but it's all just unjustified wishful thinking trying to give meaning to the meaningless
Who decides what has meaning and what doesn't? Does someone get to decide that for you?
Reality.