Immigrants Welcome!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

In the scheme of humanity, only one mating in your family tree (of the thousands that had to have occurred) not happening means you don't exist.

Think about how brutal the world was pre 1900. It doesn't take much for your DNA mix to not come together.
I had this conversation with Michelle a little while back. I believe that I'm more than this physical body, so I would still exist, but in a different body and most likely in a different part of the world, although around the same general time-frame. My personality and all of that would obviously be different too since I would have been shaped by different experiences growing up, but I would still exist.
Not judging, but just for the sake of discussion...

If it's in a different body and with a different personality would it still be YOU?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:05 pm Since none of us have made any claims of being 100% Native American, that means that all of our families were at some point immigrants to this fine nation. Do you know the story of how your family came to be here in America (or Canada for Tarspin)? Let's hear them...
I wish I knew the whole story but I do know that from my grandmother (father side) I have relatives that fought in the revolutionary war as well as civil war (I believe the family was divided in the civil war). On my mom's side I have relatives that fought on the north side of the civil war.

I recently did a DNA test and found I'm related to the famous "ice man" mummy found in the alps that dates back 5,000 years or so.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I had this conversation with Michelle a little while back. I believe that I'm more than this physical body, so I would still exist, but in a different body and most likely in a different part of the world, although around the same general time-frame. My personality and all of that would obviously be different too since I would have been shaped by different experiences growing up, but I would still exist.

If it's in a different body and with a different personality would it still be YOU?
I guess it depends on your thoughts about spiritutality. I believe that I am my spirit, or my consciousness if you will. That consciousness just happened to be birthed into this body rather than another. My physical manifestation is relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I understand the point you're making though, and if looking at it from a scientific lens rather than a religious/spritual lens, you're absolutely right.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm

I guess it depends on your thoughts about spiritutality. I believe that I am my spirit, or my consciousness if you will. That consciousness just happened to be birthed into this body rather than another. My physical manifestation is relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I understand the point you're making though, and if looking at it from a scientific lens rather than a religious/spritual lens, you're absolutely right.
You are a Highwayman
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

You are a Highwayman
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

You are a Highwayman
It's a song that basically says the same thing you are saying. You may die but you will always remain in some form. Highwayman
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Good question!

I say yes.

Let me give an example to illustrate why.

Let's say that I have an object in my hand and that we are sitting next to each other . And while I am sitting next to you looking at the object intently I say "this is mine!". You might think... "ok, whatever this guy's problem is...".

Now, if I said "this object is me!". You'd think "this guy is insane! wtf....".

Why is that any different than your body? Just like any possessions, your body is nothing but an accumulation of stuff (earth and water, actually) from over your lifetime. Your body can be yours but it cannot be you.

Did your body start out as it is now? No? It was one cell, then two and as you accumulated more earth it grew and grew into what it is today.

And that begs the question... for arguments sake... if your body itself is you, then when did it become you? When it was one cell? Two cells? A thousand cells? If it was anything other than one cell, it should be clear that your body is not you and, therefore SAWCE in a different body would still be SAWCE.
SAWCE

Thedude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Good question!

I say yes.

Let's say that I have an object in my hand and that we are sitting next to each other . And while I am sitting next to you looking at the object intently I say "this is mine!". You might think... "ok, whatever this guy's problem is...".

Why is that any different than your body? Just like any possessions, your body is nothing but an accumulation of stuff (earth and water, actually) from over your lifetime. Your body can be yours but it cannot be you.

Did your body start out as it is now? No? It was one cell, then two and as you accumulated more earth it grew and grew into what it is today.

And that begs the question... for arguments sake... if your body itself is you, then when did it become you? When it was one cell? Two cells? A thousand cells? If it was anything other than one cell, it should be clear that your body is not you and, therefore SAWCE in a different body would still be SAWCE.
:notbad: I like that phrasing of "your body is yours, but it is not you.."
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm It blows my mind how far back the "line" goes.Just because I can't trace anything back further than the 1600s doesn't mean the line just appeared out of thin air

Like where was my 1000x Grandfather during the Roman empire? He was someone doing something somewhere. My line has always existed, as have all of yours.

That part of it I never really thought about until recently
In my case on my father's side it is because my great great great was the bastard child of some elite types and that sort of thing was always quietly covered up. Only way to find out is through finding DNA matches on 23andme or ancestry to find blood relatives. I did not opt in to this.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Good question!

I say yes.

:notbad: I like that phrasing of "your body is yours, but it is not you.."
You can think of it as a loan from the earth that you'll pay back once you leave it. No gets out of paying off this loan :lol:
wap

You're right about the physical manifestation thing. That has no real bearing on the spirit that is you. But the personality thing is where I get stuck. If the personality is different then how can it be you? Isn't your unique personality an intrinsic, inseparable part of what makes you YOU? Unless I'm not defining "you" correctly...
SAWCE

wap wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm

You're right about the physical manifestation thing. That has no real bearing on the spirit that is you. But the personality thing is where I get stuck. If the personality is different then how can it be you? Isn't your unique personality an intrinsic, inseparable part of what makes you YOU? Unless I'm not defining "you" correctly...
Hmm.. I think there are characteristic traits like me being an introvert, that I've shown since I was a young child, that would still stick with me if I was born in a different body and different circumstances, and I agree that those may be a part of "me". But other things like my sense of humor that are counted as my personality are things that are learned and evolve as you grow as a person, so no, I don't think they define who I am.
wap

Good question!

I say yes.

Fair enough. See my post above.
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:45 pm:hai:
:howdy:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

No because personality is largely determined by all things you choose to consciously or unconsciously identify with. For example, would you expect that people who identify themselves with pop culture, music, art, and comedy would have a much looser free flowing whimsical personality (or at least far less rigid) than one who identifies themselves with military, law, and politics?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Thedude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 pm

No because personality is largely determined by all things you choose to consciously or unconsciously identify with. For example, would you expect that people who identify themselves with pop culture, music, art, and comedy would have a much looser free flowing whimsical personality (or at least far less rigid) than one who identifies themselves with military, law, and politics?
You callin’ me a :narc: ? :triggered:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Hmm.. I think there are characteristic traits like me being an introvert, that I've shown since I was a young child, that would still stick with me if I was born in a different body and different circumstances, and I agree that those may be a part of "me". But other things like my sense of humor that are counted as my personality are things that are learned and evolve as you grow as a person, so no, I don't think they define who I am.
:notbad:
So learned traits vs innate characteristics. Fair point is fair.
wap

Sure. But did they choose one or another of those or were they predisposed to gravitate toward one vs the other?
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm

You callin’ me a :narc: ? :triggered:
:notsure:
EVERYONE here calls you :narc: :bruh:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I'll just that I've observed my own personality change at various periods in my life where I began to shed old identities and form new ones. My innate tendencies, however, tend to remain flat unless a certain amount of focus is put into modifying them. So even that can change to a degree.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

:fuckyeah: fun discussion to have for sure.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03 pm I'll just that I've observed my own personality change at various periods in my life where I began to shed old identities and form new ones. My innate tendencies, however, tend to remain flat unless a certain amount of focus is put into modifying them. So even that can change to a degree.
That was the acid Dude
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm

:fuckyeah: fun discussion to have for sure.
For sure!
:fuckyeah:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Caught up on thread.

:mindblown:

Need a beer.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist: