Immigrants Welcome!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm adopted. I have had one of the ancestry.com boxes sitting on my desk for 9 months. Likelihood of being Scotch/Irish seems pretty strong. Will report in if I get around to it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

I would think it would be difficult to look at the plight of migrants today and not relate with that type of family history.

That alone doesn't make me think your liberal clearly..but still

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
:word:
But it easily could have gone the other way.
"My ancestors came legally, learned the language, got no help from .gov, worked hard, unlike today, blah blah blah."
Those people are asshole. But that's none of my business.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:42 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 pm

:word:
But it easily could have gone the other way.
"My ancestors came legally, learned the language, got no help from .gov, worked hard, unlike today, blah blah blah."
Those people are asshole. But that's none of my business.
Of course they are. Very much so.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm I'm adopted. I have had one of the ancestry.com boxes sitting on my desk for 9 months. Likelihood of being Scotch/Irish seems pretty strong. Will report in if I get around to it.
In4results.

How old were you when you found out, if you don't mind my asking? And if you do mind, please feel free to ignore a myob question.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm I'm adopted. I have had one of the ancestry.com boxes sitting on my desk for 9 months. Likelihood of being Scotch/Irish seems pretty strong. Will report in if I get around to it.
Took me 3 attempts to get a result. I'm not a good spitter

:ohmy:
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Took me 3 attempts to get a result. I'm a better swallower than spitter.

Interesting.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Desertbreh wrote:I'm adopted. I have had one of the ancestry.com boxes sitting on my desk for 9 months. Likelihood of being Scotch/Irish seems pretty strong. Will report in if I get around to it.
My dad (also adopted) did that and we ended up finding a whole long lost family.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Took me 3 attempts to get a result. I'm not a good spitter

Yeah my first attempt didn't go through. Haven't taken the time to redo with the new kit they sent me.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Took me 3 attempts to get a result. I'm a better swallower than spitter.

Interesting.
:roasted:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

As most of you know, i am one of the few minorities on DFD that isn’t even born in this country.

Here it goes. Please grab popcorn

My grandfather (whom I never met, died way before my dad met my mom), was born in Armenia. Back when Turkey used to be Ottoman Empire, that covered a lot of middle eastern countries and part of modern Euro countries. The Ottoman had beef with Armenians because they’re not muslims. My grandfather lost his entire family due to this genocide (dads words), and he came to then called Constantinople as a refugee. Eventually married my grandmother who has Bulgarian & Greek background. He lived in one of the most poorest neighborhood (now expensive because close to city center and corner of bosphorus & golden horn). As my dad growing up, he and my cousin who now lives in Athens (capital of Greece in case you don’t know 😉 ), grew up in the same apartment building.

As for my mother, she was raised with a full turkish family with a mix of Albanian background (pretty common for white/blonde Turks, yes there are more white people in Turkey than brown). She was raised :waxer: she had never taken a bus until she was engaged, went to a private all girls french school (in Istanbul taking the bus is pretty normal for middle class even back then).

I went to a private elementary school in Istanbul, on one of the semi waxer neighborhoods (about 40 mins north from Taksim Square, Hagia Sophia, etc) where you see BMW’s and Audis like no other. So most of my friends in Turkey are high middle class and rich. But grew up in a neighborhood that isn’t far off from poverty in a 2 bedroom apartment until 12. My mother somewhat caved into the american dream and better opportunity that she arised, which originally we were gonna move to LA, but we didn’t really need to move for some reason. Anyway we ended up moving to Northern Virginia instead of LA, due to cost of living, part of it was Fairfax County provides good education for a public school division, so I started school here in middle of 6th grade. Oh not to mention, we also (and still) have a summer house on one of the islands called Prince Islands (look it up if curious). I pretty much adapted my English when I started middle school (age 12-13 is a bad time to switch country if you ask me), I was pretty much like the kid in Karate Kid 2 when they moved to China.

From Turkey to America, there are options to have visa for 5 years, and we get them each time they expire, heck my first visit to US was when I was 2, when my cousins (not the Athens one) used to live in Baltimore suburbs. Therefore we made sure to never live in US illegally at all cost. We got our greencards when I was in Middle School and got my citizenship In 2011.

Now America has shaped me into a better person overall. Other than my uncle, I am literally the first person to even get a degree from college (associate) from my family, will (hopefully) start my pursuit of bachelors in hospitality in the fall, hopefully minoring in sociology since I really enjoyed that subject field. My dad has never set foot in college until he bought books for me when i began college and my mom dropped out after her first year and was a professor for 2 years after that.

When some other immigrants like us see our life in Turkey, they get all :mindblown: and ask why are we even doing here, including turkish friends here.

Not to mention, I only have my parents and couple of my cousins (one including became my cousin AFTER we moved here, as it came from my uncles wife) as far as family and relatives.

I know I somehow went beyond on this but :aintcare:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:16 pm As most of you know, i am one of the few minorities on DFD that isn’t even born in this country.

My grandfather (whom I never met, died way before my dad met my mom), was born in Armenia. Back when Turkey used to be Ottoman Empire, that covered a lot of middle eastern countries and part of modern Euro countries. The Ottoman had beef with Armenians because they’re not muslims. My grandfather lost his entire family due to this genocide (dads words), and he came to then called Constantinople as a refugee. Eventually married my grandmother who has Bulgarian & Greek background. He lived in one of the most poorest neighborhood (now expensive because close to city center and corner of bosphorus & golden horn). As my dad growing up, he and my cousin who now lives in Athens (capital of Greece in case you don’t know 😉 ), grew up in the same apartment building.

As for my mother, she was raised with a full turkish family with a mix of Albanian background (pretty common for white/blonde Turks, yes there are more white people in Turkey than brown). She was raised :waxer: she had never taken a bus until she was engaged, went to a private all girls french school (in Istanbul taking the bus is pretty normal for middle class even back then).

I went to a private elementary school in Istanbul, on one of the semi waxer neighborhoods (about 40 mins north from Taksim Square, Hagia Sophia, etc) where you see BMW’s and Audis like no other. So most of my friends in Turkey are high middle class and rich. But grew up in a neighborhood that isn’t far off from poverty in a 2 bedroom apartment until 12. My mother somewhat caved into the american dream and better opportunity that she arised, which originally we were gonna move to LA, but we didn’t really need to move for some reason. Anyway we ended up moving to Northern Virginia instead of LA, due to cost of living, part of it was Fairfax County provides good education for a public school division, so I started school here in middle of 6th grade. Oh not to mention, we also (and still) have a summer house on one of the islands called Prince Islands (look it up if curious). I pretty much adapted my English when I started middle school (age 12-13 is a bad time to switch country if you ask me), I was pretty much like the kid in Karate Kid 2 when they moved to China.

From Turkey to America, there are options to have visa for 5 years, and we get them each time they expire, heck my first visit to US was when I was 2, when my cousins (not the Athens one) used to live in Baltimore suburbs. Therefore we made sure to never live in US illegally at all cost. We got our greencards when I was in Middle School and got my citizenship In 2011.

Now America has shaped me into a better person overall. Other than my uncle, I am literally the first person to even get a degree from college (associate) from my family, will (hopefully) start my pursuit of bachelors in hospitality in the fall, hopefully minoring in sociology since I really enjoyed that subject field. My dad has never set foot in college until he bought books for me when i began college and my mom dropped out after her first year and was a professor for 2 years after that.

When some other immigrants like us see our life in Turkey, they get all :mindblown: and ask why are we even doing here, including turkish friends here.

Not to mention, I only have my parents and couple of my cousins (one including became my cousin AFTER we moved here, as it came from my uncles wife) as far as family and relatives.

Didn't go beyond at all. Good story and fun to hear your background.

How was your mom a professor if she dropped out?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

One of the podcast I listen to has an Armenian host. He talks about the Armenian genocide a lot
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:15 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Interesting.
:roasted:
:D :D

:lolol:
SAWCE

Mean to say after Rudy's post that his story sounds a lot like a dude I know who immigrated over from Moldovia and his father is an owner/operator of a trucking/shipping business here in the states now somewhere in Pennsylvania. .
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:16 pm As most of you know, i am one of the few minorities on DFD that isn’t even born in this country.

:dat: Good story is good.

Crazy to have a member of this forum that has a direct link to the Armenian genocide. What a fucked up era for Anatolia and the Balkans.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

As far as she told me, she had an opportunity to tutor for one class that includes her field while she was still going to school that one of her teachers offered. Turned out she could become a teacher for one entry level event management class, which i also took as well. Her teacher observed her style of teaching and she became a proffesor for a class that really isn’t hard. Becoming a proffessor for an easy class like that doesn’t require a degree by any means, which back then in Turkey not necessarily required (it does now).
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm

As far as she told me, she had an opportunity to tutor for one class that includes her field while she was still going to school that one of her teachers offered. Turned out she could become a teacher for one entry level event management class, which i also took as well. Her teacher observed her style of teaching and she became a proffesor for a class that really isn’t hard. Becoming a proffessor for an easy class like that doesn’t require a degree by any means, which back then in Turkey not necessarily required (it does now).
That's pretty cool. She must be pretty smart.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Crazy to have a member of this forum that has a direct link to the Armenian genocide. What a fucked up era for Anatolia and the Balkans.
In the dead forum, like ‘12-13 there are bunch of socal members that were armenians where they were on OT at one point and talked about it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:37 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm

That's pretty cool. She must be pretty smart.
She is, and when she talks to some people, i see them being :mindblown: because of what she said. One of my family friends here (whose also turkish) tells his friends as “wisest woman ive ever met”, i kid you not
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:59 pm
In4results.

How old were you when you found out, if you don't mind my asking? And if you do mind, please feel free to ignore a myob question.
I am not sensitive on the topic AT ALL. Frankly, I don't understand why people are. The late 60's were the great confluence of the sexual revolution and iffy birth control, so there were a lot of college students getting knocked up, which was my sich. Parents never hid it, was told from day one, sister also adopted same agency, same deal, 3 years later. Never got the straight scoop on why my parents could not naturally reproduce and did not ask. No real itch to meet birth either birth parent. Seems like a simple thing to me.....people got pregnant when they couldn't afford me, and gave me to people who wanted me and could afford me. Caps off to my birth mother for just cranking me out instead of aborting me. The whole "we wanted you, that's why we adopted you" seems like such a natural thing to me I never understood springing it on your kid years after the fact. YTHO.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:59 pm In4results.

I am not sensitive on the topic AT ALL. Frankly, I don't understand why people are. The late 60's were the great confluence of the sexual revolution and iffy birth control, so there were a lot of college students getting knocked up, which was my sich. Parents never hid it, was told from day one, sister also adopted same agency, same deal, 3 years later. Never got the straight scoop on why my parents could not naturally reproduce and did not ask. No real itch to meet birth either birth parent. Seems like a simple thing to me.....people got pregnant when they couldn't afford me, and gave me to people who wanted me and could afford me. Caps off to my birth mother for just cranking me out instead of aborting me. The whole "we wanted you, that's why we adopted you" seems like such a natural thing to me I never understood springing it on your kid years after the fact. YTHO.
:dat:

If I wanted a kid, I'd adopt 5/7 times. Pregnancy is dangerous and there are already enough people on the planet.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:59 pm In4results.

I'm guessing it all stems from insecure parents usually. Such BS. Your mom and dad DIR and sound pretty cool.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
I'm guessing it all stems from insecure parents usually. Such BS. Your mom and dad DIR and sound pretty cool.
They got divorced when I was 12 and it was far from Ward and June Cleaver, but I got dealt a fair hand.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:37 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 pm

In the dead forum, like ‘12-13 there are bunch of socal members that were armenians where they were on OT at one point and talked about it.
Yea I think that hairy, "virgin hour" dude is Armenian, no?
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:22 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:59 pm

In4results.

:notbad:
Makes perfect sense. No idea why there exists a stigma of not telling the kid. I think the bolded is s a great way to do it.

Thanks for sharing.