4%
81+ :micdrop:
No votes

Total votes: 23
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:slowclap: Good morning good people of Dat Forum, Doe.

How do you feel today? Do you find yourself wallowing in self pity? If so, many things could be causing this affliction. You may find that you are swimming in a world of discontent, feeling as though you contribute nothing to this world.

Your body may be exhausted, from months of continual emailing before the hour of 8 AM.

Your experience could be an enraged one, furious with the world for expecting you to put in more than 30 weekly hours of work, when our purpose on this planet is really the pursuit of joyous activities such as cone destruction and crotch fruit harvesting.

You could see your biceps enlarging from the sheer number of miles you're plowing thorough daily just to reach your place of employment.

It could be that you feel isolated, unable to relate to others because of your financial status, stuck in what used to be known as the middle class, a mythical part of American Society that we all know no longer exists.

Have you felt one drop of water from the ceiling above your cubicle too many? Have the injustices of American employers scheduling working hours during autox season truly pushed you over the edge? Have you put your own life and the lives of others at risk while driving to work because you're just too tired to stay on the road?

Here is your place to discuss all of the problems, we, as rich Americans have! How bad do we all have it? Now is the time to find out and discuss.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:wrong:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:28 am :slowclap: Good morning good people of Dat Forum, Doe.

How do you feel today? Do you find yourself wallowing in self pity? If so, many things could be causing this affliction. You may find that you are swimming in a world of discontent, feeling as though you contribute nothing to this world.

Your body may be exhausted, from months of continual emailing before the hour of 8 AM.

Your experience could be an enraged one, furious with the world for expecting you to put in more than 30 weekly hours of work, when our purpose on this planet is really the pursuit of joyous activities such as cone destruction and crotch fruit harvesting.

You could see your biceps enlarging from the sheer number of miles you're plowing thorough daily just to reach your place of employment.

It could be that you feel isolated, unable to relate to others because of your financial status, stuck in what used to be known as the middle class, a mythical part of American Society that we all know no longer exists.

Have you felt one drop of water from the ceiling above your cubicle too many? Have the injustices of American employers scheduling working hours during autox season truly pushed you over the edge? Have you put your own life and the lives of others at risk while driving to work because you're just too tired to stay on the road?

Here is your place to discuss all of the problems, we, as rich Americans have! How bad do we all have it? Now is the time to find out and discuss.
5/7 write-up, POTD nomination

i chose 41-50 but in reality something like 46 to 48 of the 52 weeks a year I work are 40 on the nose; its actually not allowed to be less.

Aint nobody lying on their deathbed looking into the eyes of the people they care about saying
"Fuck me guys, I really wish I'd spend that extra 5 hours a week at the office. It would have been so worth it."
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:28 am :slowclap: Good morning good people of Dat Forum, Doe.

i chose 41-50 but in reality something like 46 to 48 of the 52 weeks a year I work are 40 on the nose; its actually not allowed to be less.

Aint nobody lying on their deathbed looking into the eyes of the people they care about saying
"Fuck me guys, I really wish I'd spend that extra 5 hours a week at the office. It would have been so worth it."

Working is the best. 20+ hours a day or you're a worthless loser.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

I'm in the 61-70 range. It's hard to take vacation because it's always a shitstorm when I come back and working in sales not only am I missing out on all the income when I'm gone but vacation is stupid expensive. My parents are getting old and have been retired. My wife isn't gonna make any serious income (she just QUIT her High School teaching job). I have a terminal disease called workaholism. I give myself 10-20 more years before stress or suicide kill me.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

TL;DR
:like:
:fap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I voted the proverbial 41+ because Im always a few hours over 40. between 45-50 is still no big :dill: If you are putting over 50+ hours into work (not including you commute blah blah blah) that is a draining and exhausting week. Im look at you, commissioned :dillerman:

Jobs where you are on the clock nearly every weekend suck the life out of you. I enjoy the weekend rest button.

I left that last job were I was pulling serious OT checks working 70-80 hours. The money was nice but I couldn't continue that long term. I don't see how anyone could maintain a life/relationshit if that much of your awake hours is going to a job/task.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: 5/7 write-up, POTD nomination

Working is the best. 20+ hours a day or you're a worthless loser.
This guy goddamn gets it.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

dubshow wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 am I voted the proverbial 41+ because Im always a few hours over 40. between 45-50 is still no big :dill: If you are putting over 50+ hours into work (not including you commute blah blah blah) that is a draining and exhausting week. Im look at you, commissioned :dillerman:

Jobs where you are on the clock nearly every weekend suck the life out of you. I enjoy the weekend rest button.

I left that last job were I was pulling serious OT checks working 70-80 hours. The money was nice but I couldn't continue that long term. I don't see how anyone could maintain a life/relationshit if that much of your awake hours is going to a job/task.
I groan when my wife wants to do things that involve going anywhere. I'm just too fucking tired.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

:word:

I'm probably around 50-55 average, most weeks are 60-70 but then there are weeks like next where I'm "working from home" and will likely put in 10 real hours.

My thing is interesting though, because if you count things like dinners with coworkers on the road the number goes up.... And those things are work, free food or not.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I technically "work" 40 but there is a good 10 to 15 hours in there where I ain't doin' shit.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There is as happy medium. A man needs to work. Less hours doesn't lead to happiness.

I remember being jobless in college and it's not good for your mind
razr390

I read an article on LinkedIn where I think Elon Musk (don’t :member: ) was a asking about how everyone in the “rat race” focuses on “work/life balance” when in reality it’s never true “split” you can’t ducide work and personal time and stick to it effectively, because like Griff said some weeks you work 60-70 and others 10-20. The key is to find a job/career where you are constantly being challenged/stimulated, so it is remotely interesting and as minimally routine as possible.

I think that’s where true happiness comes from. It’s not the whole “do what you love” bullshit. Most of the time people that “do what they love for a living” end up hating that thing.

I’d say I don’t care if I had to work 80+ hours a week as long as it was valuable and worth it.

My mentality is “if I’m goung to be here for 8 hours a day, at least make it worth my while.” I find that to work if I am challenged in some sort of way by dealing with something I had never been exposed to, problem solving, critical thinking, and staying away from routine/mundane
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Normal work week I'm 45-50 hours.
If I am working a maintenance event, I'm at 90+. These typically last between 3 and 6 weeks. 13 or so hours a day, 7 days a week.

I pretty much hate my job but they pay me well enough to stay. I have 4 weeks vacation + can bank 2 a year if I don't use them all. Good benefits, 401k match, etc. But the job has been sucking the life out of me and I should change it up. My boss requires us to dedicate many hours a week to pointless menial tasks and meetings that add no value, and micromanages the shit out of me and my team, to the point that I just don't look forward to coming in anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 am There is as happy medium. A man needs to work. Less hours doesn't lead to happiness.

Agreed
razr390

Currently I work 41-50 hours with special events we are needed to provide security for.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Most of you are engineers or salesman, correct?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote:I read an article on LinkedIn where I think Elon Musk (don’t :member: ) was a asking about how everyone in the “rat race” focuses on “work/life balance” when in reality it’s never true “split” you can’t ducide work and personal time and stick to it effectively, because like Griff said some weeks you work 60-70 and others 10-20. The key is to find a job/career where you are constantly being challenged/stimulated, so it is remotely interesting and as minimally routine as possible.

I think that’s where true happiness comes from. It’s not the whole “do what you love” bullshit. Most of the time people that “do what they love for a living” end up hating that thing.

I’d say I don’t care if I had to work 80+ hours a week as long as it was valuable and worth it.

My mentality is “if I’m goung to be here for 8 hours a day, at least make it worth my while.” I find that to work if I am challenged in some sort of way by dealing with something I had never been exposed to, problem solving, critical thinking, and staying away from routine/mundane
:notbad:

Agreed on the "do what you love" thing being :bs: . I got a music degree and a career in this industry because it was my passion, now I really don't give two shits about music, don't play anymore, and the 18 months I was on our music team were my worst in almost five years at this company. I like my job for the variety of places, businesses, and people I get to work with. I like that every day is different and that it's challenging, I also like that despite travel it's fairly flexible at times. But the one thing I couldn't care less about is that it's audio /music related, may never have music as a hobby again because of it.

Fuck 80 hours a week though, regardless of how stimulating it is.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 am
razr390 wrote:I read an article on LinkedIn where I think Elon Musk (don’t :member: ) was a asking about how everyone in the “rat race” focuses on “work/life balance” when in reality it’s never true “split” you can’t ducide work and personal time and stick to it effectively, because like Griff said some weeks you work 60-70 and others 10-20. The key is to find a job/career where you are constantly being challenged/stimulated, so it is remotely interesting and as minimally routine as possible.

:notbad:

Agreed on the "do what you love" thing being :bs: . I got a music degree and a career in this industry because it was my passion, now I really don't give two shits about music, don't play anymore, and the 18 months I was on our music team were my worst in almost five years at this company. I like my job for the variety of places, businesses, and people I get to work with. I like that every day is different and that it's challenging, I also like that despite travel it's fairly flexible at times. But the one thing I couldn't care less about is that it's audio /music related, may never have music as a hobby again because of it.

80 hours a week was an example to prove a point. If I’m not getting compensated dearly for working 80 hours a week and I’m not salaried and in a director/leadership role then yeah, NGH
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 am :notbad:

80 hours a week was an example to prove a point. If I’m not getting compensated dearly for working 80 hours a week and I’m not salaried and in a director/leadership role then yeah, NGH
I'd probably require at least a mill a year a la :waxer: to really average 80 hours. Would only be worth it if I could retire in a few years.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I immensely regret getting into the automotive industry. "Do what you love" is complete :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:I immensely regret getting into the automotive industry. "Do what you love" is complete :bs:
I don't regret my career path, it's been a good ride. But certainly work will be work and suck some joy out of all the things at times.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am I immensely regret getting into the automotive industry. "Do what you love" is complete :bs:
What I’ve been telling people that ask me for advice:

“Find something you’re really good at and you’re challenged by, and just become the best person at that thing” that’s how you stay competitive and become :waxer:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

KYGTIGuy wrote:There is as happy medium. A man needs to work. Less hours doesn't lead to happiness.

:iono:

I feel like I could easily fill 10+ lifetimes with interesting stuff to do without working a "real job" - the hardest part of life to me is accepting that I'll only ever get to do 0.25 lifetimes of stuff from those 10+, because jobs are required and YOLO...