wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:04 pm

:wat: :(

Are you sure? How do you know?
Checked my taleo profile for job submissions there and the req is now closed and I'm "no longer under consideration". Yesteray my status was "interview". Told my buddy there who was trying to get me in. He's gonna talk to his boss to get more feedback for me to apply next time something opens up.
Dang. :fshitup:
Hopefully you'll get some good intel into their decision making process for next time.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Hopefully.

There's major risk with opening something like a coffee shop. Low barriers to entry mean competition can pop up at a moment's notice (can also disappear just as fast), margins are tight so being profitable is an epic challenge, products are pretty close to commodity, lots of massive corporate competition can crush you with market saturation should they chose.

I say this because hopefully the new place will be greedy and over-price themselves for the market and be out of business within 6 mos.
I think what will happen is the neighborhood locals will harass the new shop and be very vocal about it. We'll see.
Good.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am Damn Johnny. That's shitty. Maybe the new :waxer: place will price themselves out of business.
Problem is, they'll be for-profit. Meaning a financial backer like a bank or a :waxer: and they'll make their shop gorgeous and push through the sales drought to shutter her place. She can't make it through that sort of shit since she relies on donations and sales instead of Wells Fargo. Her only hope is if the hood backs her. Which I think they might.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am Damn Johnny. That's shitty. Maybe the new :waxer: place will price themselves out of business.
Problem is, they'll be for-profit. Meaning a financial backer like a bank or a :waxer: and they'll make their shop gorgeous and push through the sales drought to shutter her place. She can't make it through that sort of shit since she relies on donations and sales instead of Wells Fargo. Her only hope is if the hood backs her. Which I think they might.
COFVEE WARS
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
Is her shop good? That ought to be all it takes to remain competitive in a big city. :rudy: customers don't care about prices, just what's considered to be the best product.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Sucks because the young :millennial: girls that fequent all of those :waxer: coffee shops, out here at least, seem to place high value in how "cute" the shop is. I hope you're right though and that they keep supporting her. There are definitely a few barebones hipster coffee shops out here that people still love and rave about.
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

COFVEE WARS
Throw stinky butter at the new shop!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

COFVEE WARS
Throw stinky butter at the new shop!
or say "1,2,3,4, I declare a MEME WAR!!!!!"
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Is her shop good? That ought to be all it takes to remain competitive in a big city. :rudy: customers don't care about prices, just what's considered to be the best product.
I think so. They bake all sorts of muffins and cookies and scones and cakes on site. Good coffee. Local art work on the walls for purchase. Backyard space for events and open mic nights and such (although they haven't done the open mic in a while). Lots of community support for them and they've been there 3 years now. Plus the feel-good of supporting a nonprofit dedicated to helping those in need.

Problem is, coffee isn't hard to get right especially if you have the roaster backing you and coaching you how to brew it. And although I think her shop is pretty solid, she doesn't have a full kitchen so she can't make many breakfast sandwiches outside of paninis and easy stuff like that. The panini press somehow sidesteps a lot of food code requirements which I don't understand, but she can't make eggs and bacon and such, so if the new shop does that she'll lose those customers.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Sucks because the young :millennial: girls that fequent all of those :waxer: coffee shops, out here at least, seem to place high value in how "cute" the shop is. I hope you're right though and that they keep supporting her. There are definitely a few barebones hipster coffee shops out here that people still love and rave about.
Shit. Bolt some pallets to the wall, stat! Maybe @detroit has some ideas.

Edison bulbs
Aloe plants
Etc
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

While great coffee is easy to make, I still find that it's rare to actually find in most places. There's a good chance that a new place ends up being terrible. In Lexington there is only one place with great coffee, everyone else is no better than McDonald's.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Edison bulbs
Aloe plants
Etc
A distressed pallet on the wall full of succulents out here is instant Image
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Edison bulbs
Aloe plants
Etc
A distressed pallet on the wall full of succulents out here is instant Image
:lolol:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm While great coffee is easy to make, I still find that it's rare to actually find in most places. There's a good chance that a new place ends up being terrible. In Lexington there is only one place with great coffee, everyone else is no better than McDonald's.
True, there is a chance they fuck it all up. Fingers crossed.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm While great coffee is easy to make, I still find that it's rare to actually find in most places. There's a good chance that a new place ends up being terrible. In Lexington there is only one place with great coffee, everyone else is no better than McDonald's.
I think most people don't care about "great" coffee though. They see a small shop, so they think they're doing something "righteous" by not supporting Starbucks, and don't realize these small shops are backed by big companies like the one that's about to open up by :wasteful: To them the coffee tastes better becuase of that sweet sweet social justice, and "ZOMG this place is totes cute let's take a selfie in here".
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm
I think most people don't care about "great" coffee though. They see a small shop, so they think they're doing something "righteous" by not supporting Starbucks, and don't realize these small shops are backed by big companies like the one that's about to open up by :wasteful: To them the coffee tastes better becuase of that sweet sweet social justice, and "ZOMG this place is totes cute let's take a selfie in here".
The demographic that we're talking about at least. They grew up on Starbucks, and now they're too cool for school :millennial:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

In used to live near common grounds and they weren't bad. But I only drink esspresso
SAWCE

Hmmm.. so buddy over there at NG told me to apply to a different req. Apparently the guy I interviewed with told this other manager that she should hire me. :notsure: exactly what's going on, but happy to still be under consideration. Just applied for that new requisition they opened.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Edison bulbs
Aloe plants
Etc
You've got a good list going.

If you could reclaim some old doors or barn wood or some shit, there's some serious bonus points.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Edison bulbs
Aloe plants
Etc

If you could reclaim some old doors or barn wood or some shit, there's some serious bonus points.
Make sure every visible piece of metal is oil-rubbed bronze.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Oh, totally.

Also, iron plumbing piping is the best for shelves, desks, counters, etc. Add in some old railroad spikes or bent nails and you're solid.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Oh, totally.

Also, iron plumbing piping is the best for shelves, desks, counters, etc. Add in some old railroad spikes or bent nails and you're solid.
It's actually kinda sad that more thought probably goes into the aesthetics of these places than into quality of the product.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm
Oh, totally.

It's actually kinda sad that more thought probably goes into the aesthetics of these places than into quality of the product.
Yep. But most "customers" park there for hours at end after paying $5 or whatever for a beverage, so design is probably a wise investment.

Not that there's much "design". The shittier and more run down it looks, the better. Plaster peeling off the walls? If it's brick back there, just leave it!
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm Hmmm.. so buddy over there at NG told me to apply to a different req. Apparently the guy I interviewed with told this other manager that she should hire me. :notsure: exactly what's going on, but happy to still be under consideration. Just applied for that new requisition they opened.
It's very possible that they changed the grade or some sort of HR :bs: on the job and had to repost.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Yep. But most "customers" park there for hours at end after paying $5 or whatever for a beverage, so design is probably a wise investment.

Not that there's much "design". The shittier and more run down it looks, the better. Plaster peeling off the walls? If it's brick back there, just leave it!
Right, but if they're only spending that $5 and aren't repeatedly ordering avocado toast while they're there, they're just taking up space. Although I guess seeing people sitting in there and enjoying even just the atmosphere is going to draw other pedestrians in. They win. Damnit.