OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm Since we’re talking about tv stuff, I have a probably 8 year old “42” (screen corners are more like 41.5 apart) inch Panasonic that I believe is at most capable of 720 Hd.

Worth it to pick up the 43 inch 4K toshiba Amazon has up for $250? Marginally bigger screen, but much newer.

Sent from the Beer Depository
Replacing an 8 year old 720p set? Yes, worth it in my opinion. Any upgrade would be worth it to me, if you don't want to spend more I say go for it. Just check the specs and reviews.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Old article so a lot is outdated except for why I'm linking it.

Tells you if you will notice based on size and distance

https://referencehometheater.com/2013/c ... alculator/
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm
Calvinball wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm Since we’re talking about tv stuff, I have a probably 8 year old “42” (screen corners are more like 41.5 apart) inch Panasonic that I believe is at most capable of 720 Hd.

Worth it to pick up the 43 inch 4K toshiba Amazon has up for $250? Marginally bigger screen, but much newer.

Sent from the Beer Depository
IMO, if you aren't getting a bigger TV it's not really an upgrade that's worth it. I would guess if you only have a 43 inch TV you gotta sit pretty close to tell the difference in resolution.
:dat:
If you're replacing anyway, go bigger, as big as you can comfortably fit and afford. You'll be glad you did.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

If I'm reading that correctly, if you sit farther than 7 feet away from a 40inch TV, 720p and 4k look identical with 20/20 vision
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I’d wait a few more months for Black Friday Calvinballzzzzz. I snagged a 50 or 55” 4K Samsung two years ago for $330 or something at Target the night before for one of their door buster deals
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 pm I’d wait a few more months for Black Friday Calvinballzzzzz. I snagged a 50 or 55” 4K Samsung two years ago for $330 or something at Target the night before for one of their door buster deals
That's legit :notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm

why buy this when a roku is half the price
Check out the reviews, this is almost always determined to be the best streaming box out there, unless the reviewer is biased.

Android TV, integrates with your Gmail account, way better native app support and install than Roku, Google Assistant built in, 4k PC gaming on your TV using your Nvidia graphics card in your PC with no latency, and so much more.

Now, if you're happy with the slow, awkward Roku or integrated smart TV apps, stick with them. This is really only going to interest someone that is looking for one.
Damn thats pretty sweet. I wish they still sold dumb TVs at a lower price. I've never seen intergraded smart TVs that were worth a shit.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Check out the reviews, this is almost always determined to be the best streaming box out there, unless the reviewer is biased.

Android TV, integrates with your Gmail account, way better native app support and install than Roku, Google Assistant built in, 4k PC gaming on your TV using your Nvidia graphics card in your PC with no latency, and so much more.

Now, if you're happy with the slow, awkward Roku or integrated smart TV apps, stick with them. This is really only going to interest someone that is looking for one.
Damn thats pretty sweet. I wish they still sold dumb TVs at a lower price. I've never seen intergraded smart TVs that were worth a shit.
Both of my Samsung LED tv's are smart enabled and I never use that stuff. Way too slow and sluggish, and no app updates when you want them.

For 90% on the shield I use my Logitech harmony remote, but if I'm going to type a lot I use a mini Bluetooth keyboard.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm also basing my recommendation on the fact that you even still own a 8 year old 720p tv. I mean wtf. :lolol: :trollface:

That tells me you really don't give a shit anyway about latest and greatest. Just wait and get the biggest one your budget allows. They are all decent theses days. You'll be adding a chrome cast or something similar anyway. Lots of websites that will help you set it up to maximize it visually.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Both of my Samsung LED tv's are smart enabled and I never use that stuff. Way too slow and sluggish, and no app updates when you want them.

For 90% on the shield I use my Logitech harmony remote, but if I'm going to type a lot I use a mini Bluetooth keyboard.
Do you have the QLEDs?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I bought one of the last 1080p dumb TV's in 2013, it's an LG and is fine but you probably can't get anything like that anymore. I don't think that there is any "4K" aka 2160p content that I care about and even if there was I'm not sure we could really tell on a 55" screen from what must be 10 or so feet away? :whocares:

These days all I watch is Jeopardy and some random youtube cat videos, my source is an antenna hooked up to a Windows 7 PC with a tuner card that uses the TV as its monitor. I might be old.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like my Sony TV. It's a 40" 1080p, 240 hz.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Do you have the QLEDs?
One is. The older one is just the high end LED DLP from a few years before.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm
It's very possible that they changed the grade or some sort of HR :bs: on the job and had to repost.
Job is posted at the same level, but I'd be on a different program. Buddy works on Triton (unmanned surveillance plane) IIRC, and this new req is for the same position as I interviewed before, but on the Fire Scout team. Fire Scout is their unmanned helicopter, which would actually be pretty sick to work on. That's why it's a different manager for this req.
Hell yeah man get on the unmanned platforms. The RQ-4 and other systems are only growing.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm Speaking of music, :waxer: this seems right up your alley
Mad caddies are awesome!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm

why buy this when a roku is half the price

Word, im happy with that rouku life. I dont game. I plex and do streaming tv. I also like the interface :iono:
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm Old article so a lot is outdated except for why I'm linking it.

Tells you if you will notice based on size and distance

https://referencehometheater.com/2013/c ... alculator/
:dat:

Pretty much anything over 1080 you are wasting pixels unless you are sitting really close to the TV.

I have yet to see native 4k content that makes me go "dang, this really is better than 1080"

I d/l and encode most of my content in 720p because it's the best bang for buck in file size to quality by far imho.

In the tv quality game, IMHO you are best off finding a panel with the highest native refresh rate (240 is best but $$$) and highest native contrast ratio. The dynamic refresh rate and contrast tricks do work really good and make lesser quality panels look nice, but again IMHO the best quality comes from quality panel.

Also the new OLED panels are the shit and look amazing. But still :waxer: only need apply.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I have an apple TV. It works :iono:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:17 am I have an apple TV. It works :iono:
:millennial:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I have 2 Rokus and a Fire Stick. They both kind of blow, but for the price you get what you pay for.

I like the interface with the Roku, but mine can be buggy and laggy at times, which is annoying. The one in our bedroom will randomly restart for no reason a few times a year too.

The Firestick is garbage. Definitely get what you pay for there. I just keep that around to take on trips because it's easy to pack.

I want to do a 4k projector in the basement at some point when real 4k projectors come down in price (sub-$1k). I can fit a 110" screen in the "theater" that would be 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am I have 2 Rokus and a Fire Stick. They both kind of blow, but for the price you get what you pay for.

I like the interface with the Roku, but mine can be buggy and laggy at times, which is annoying. The one in our bedroom will randomly restart for no reason a few times a year too.

The Firestick is garbage. Definitely get what you pay for there. I just keep that around to take on trips because it's easy to pack.

I want to do a 4k projector in the basement at some point when real 4k projectors come down in price (sub-$1k). I can fit a 110" screen in the "theater" that would be 5/7.
:plac: videos in 100” inch and 4K ?! :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am I have 2 Rokus and a Fire Stick. They both kind of blow, but for the price you get what you pay for.

I no rite?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am
I no rite?
Invite us to the viewing party
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This is my experience as well.

I own 2 Roku's and 2 Amazon Fire Sticks I've given to friends and they ended up not liking them.... Excuse me for giving you a free media player.... After they got a Shield they gave me back the cheap shit.

I like my UI's to be fast and responsive. If I'm scrolling and not searching through my movies or albums, I want the UI to be able to do it FAST and stop when I let off the remote button, not 3 seconds later.

I pack my Shield and sometimes a portable 3.5" 4TB HDD when I'm going somewhere that I might want to watch TV at night (like when renting a cabin to get away). I usually only bring the HDD if I know that I might not have great internet for streaming.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 am
Pretty much anything over 1080 you are wasting pixels unless you are sitting really close to the TV.

I have yet to see native 4k content that makes me go "dang, this really is better than 1080"

I d/l and encode most of my content in 720p because it's the best bang for buck in file size to quality by far imho.
I disagree with the first line. I can clearly see a difference at 14 feet on my 65" set between 1080P and native 4K.

If your internet doesn't suck, lookup the UHD Youtube channel for starters. If it does suck, get some physical media and try again. Don't use Netflix, the bitrate is questionable, even if they profile you for the "best" streaming based on what they think your internet speed is.

720p? :disappoint: In a couple years I think you're going to regret wasting the time encoding in such a low resolution. Kinda like how everyone used to rip their CDs at 128kbit and sometimes even less. I spent a lot of time going back over my 1500+ CDs and re-ripping them to a better bitrate and FLAC a few years ago. Storage is cheap, get/build a NAS.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

My woman got a firestick for whatever reason (already had Apple TV) and tbh I find it just as good as Apple TV. Plenty of apps... including VLC which is awesome for getting features like subtitles in DLNA content. Plex works well on it. You can also mod these things for Kodi or whatever.

I'm not expected super blazing fast UI, just a functional one with minimal hiccups and the firestick delivers. My only complaint is searching one letter at a time because I don't use Alexa.