OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Fifteen hundo coming back to me from expenses for September. Going to feel good paying down that CC bill.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm Ain't nobody on the beach today. :notsure:ImageImageImageImageImage
:like:
All of that looks very :fuckyeah:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:52 pm im going to go wastefully piss again. Use a whole gallon to flush too.
Time for new kidneys
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm
:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Fisherman's island is on my possibilities list. Along with Wilderness State Park. Canada is just because I've never been so it checks 2 boxes. Looking at somewhere around Goulais River too.

Being trying to sort the rules for camp fires and wood chopping in MI too. DNR is talking about making a reservation ...wtf?
Canada wilderness down here isn't much different from MI IMO. HOWEVER Toronto and Montreal are really cool cities that differ significantly from what we have here. Taking a train or plane from Windsor to Montreal is a great way to go to Canada IMO.

Don't transport firewood. Always buy it when you get to the camp ground. You can also burn whatever twigs/branches you find around the site that's already dead. There's usually people selling firewood by the road near the camp grounds for cheap. That's what we always do. Last time we were at Muskegon there was dude with a giant wood pile at the road and a wheel barrel. Sign said $5/barrel. $5 was enough wood for the entire weekend, and we cook breakfast and dinner over the fire.

For the vast majority of state parks, you need to reserve the camp site ahead of time online. There's a small per night fee. What's nice is that you don't have to be concerned about the campground being full and being SOL when you arrive. At this time of the year, you should be able to book any campground easily. Can book up to 6 mos out, so we usually plan way in advance for our summer trips at the more popular sites.
My plan was to hike out into the middle of nowhere with an axe and set up camp. Back country style with just a bag of rice and some jerky. From what you're saying that doesn't sound possible. Going to sort out all my gear this weekend. Hopefully my pack is still good. It's been years since I actually camp camped.

There was a time I wouldn't be worried about the rules but it's just not worth the hassle.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Have to decide if I want to take my tent or just a tarp and para cord and build a shelter. One saves time but I like building shelters.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm Ain't nobody on the beach today. :notsure:ImageImageImageImageImage
Just think about what this money would look like in 25 years had you invested it instead of :fancy: could knock a couple years off your retirement timeline

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Canada wilderness down here isn't much different from MI IMO. HOWEVER Toronto and Montreal are really cool cities that differ significantly from what we have here. Taking a train or plane from Windsor to Montreal is a great way to go to Canada IMO.

Don't transport firewood. Always buy it when you get to the camp ground. You can also burn whatever twigs/branches you find around the site that's already dead. There's usually people selling firewood by the road near the camp grounds for cheap. That's what we always do. Last time we were at Muskegon there was dude with a giant wood pile at the road and a wheel barrel. Sign said $5/barrel. $5 was enough wood for the entire weekend, and we cook breakfast and dinner over the fire.

For the vast majority of state parks, you need to reserve the camp site ahead of time online. There's a small per night fee. What's nice is that you don't have to be concerned about the campground being full and being SOL when you arrive. At this time of the year, you should be able to book any campground easily. Can book up to 6 mos out, so we usually plan way in advance for our summer trips at the more popular sites.
My plan was to hike out into the middle of nowhere with an axe and set up camp. Back country style with just a bag of rice and some jerky. From what you're saying that doesn't sound possible. Going to sort out all my gear this weekend. Hopefully my pack is still good. It's been years since I actually camp camped.

There was a time I wouldn't be worried about the rules but it's just not worth the hassle.
OH...CAMPING

There's a number of hike in, hike out camp grounds where you can do this. Ludington had such a campground. I'm not sure you need to reserve those in advance either.

Fisherman Island doesn't have these.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm

OH...CAMPING

There's a number of hike in, hike out camp grounds where you can do this. Ludington had such a campground. I'm not sure you need to reserve those in advance either.

Yeah. Wife is taking the kids to see all her family in Germany and I'm staying here. 10 days of being single without kids again.

Plan A is camping camping.

Plan B is to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 and eat pizza and game.

Really want to go camping doe as I can always have a little after kids bedtime
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm
OH...CAMPING

Yeah. Wife is taking the kids to see all her family in Germany and I'm staying here. 10 days of being single without kids again.

What time of the year?

With 10 days to burn, I'd head to the UP if it's not in the winter. There's some epic outdoors up there, and in the National Forests, you can camp wherever. There aren't many national forests in the lower peninsula, unfortunately.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:40 pm

What time of the year?

With 10 days to burn, I'd head to the UP if it's not in the winter. There's some epic outdoors up there, and in the National Forests, you can camp wherever. There aren't many national forests in the lower peninsula, unfortunately.
Looking at November 10-13
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Just got a software update on my pixel 2 xl. Thing is much faster than before

Hope it fixed the last/freeze issues too
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm Ain't nobody on the beach today. :notsure:Image
:alpo:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm
What time of the year?

:ohdang: bundle up.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Less than 100 posts.. let's close this bitch out today.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm Less than 100 posts.. let's close this bitch out today.
:fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:22 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm

I got gear to be comfortable down to 0 degrees Freedom.

I checked average temps for UP at that time and it's 40 or something. Much rather camp in that weather than 70 degree nights. Hopefully mosquitoes will be gone too
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm Less than 100 posts.. let's close this bitch out today.
French are world renowned World War loser...
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:22 pm

I checked average temps for UP at that time and it's 40 or something. Much rather camp in that weather than 70 degree nights. Hopefully mosquitoes will be gone too
You'll also have to be very careful with hunting. November is big time hunting season, especially in the UP.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:33 pm

You'll also have to be very careful with hunting. November is big time hunting season, especially in the UP.
Thought of that too. Do state parks allow hunting? Wtf?
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:50 pm
'Murica, bro.. all guns matter.
SAWCE

Knocked out four of the nine BOMs for that project I got assigned on Friday. They each have one or two lingering parts that I'm waiting on special pricing to come back on, but my part of the population is done at least.. Gonna see if I can't get two more done today. I'll feel pretty good about that.
SAWCE

I really want to do some camping. That'll be high on my list of stuff to do next year. Snowboarding will be one of the first activities I do.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:50 pm
Hunting is allowed pretty much everywhere through the month of November. I keep my outdoor activities to a minimum during that time. Even wheeling. Never know.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:08 pm I really want to do some camping. That'll be high on my list of stuff to do next year. Snowboarding will be one of the first activities I do.
Camping is 5/7. This year, we've gone once a month since April. Our last trip is the third weekend of this month. We camp at a campground that's a mile away from Hell, MI. We hike into hell and get hammered at the local biker bar that goes over the top for Halloween because it's Hell. Maybe my favorite trip of the year.