OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Sno wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm No diagnosis yet, some tests have come back and are negative.

It’s hard to gauge her level of impairment cause she’s always so exhausted. Motor function, speech, eating, etc I think they all take effort so she’s avoiding them all for the most part. We have seen glimpses though. She was able to follow my verbal command and put Mr Potato Head’s nose in, on the first shot too which is impressive cause those are not large pegs and holes.

Comprehension is there. Communication from her is mostly head nods/shakes plus “mmhmm” or “uh uh.” But, we have heard some full sentences from her here and there. “I want to see Grant.” “I want to get back in bed.” So that’s promising.

Muscle weakness though, she’s definitely weak even on her functional side. She has made some movements on her left side but it is mostly just lying there. PT was by today talking about taping her shoulder so that gravity doesn’t separate the joint. We have range-of-motion exercises we do with her, and we’ve both felt some muscle contractions fighting us on those once or twice.

The brain bleeds were in white matter, which is connective tissue between the processing units of the brain, so think the jumble of cables behind your desk connecting the various components of your computer. So there was definitely cell death and going to be scar tissue, I think it will just take time to see how impactful that is, and time to make a recovery from it.

She is medically stable now and cleared to go to the inpatient rehab part of the hospital, just need the insurance piece to be completed and a bed to open up.

I told her that it will start to be less about poking and prodding and more about eating chocolate ice cream and playing soon, that got a smile.

Still some struggles though, sleep has been tough to come by for a few reasons, which of course impacts everything.

Sent from the Beer Depository
We’re pulling for you and the little, buddy. Take care of yourself and your family. Can we take care of arranging a dinner delivery? House cleaning service? Lean on us.
Yes pls have Zilch arrive at our hospital room and create a gourmet meal out of ingredients found in the cafeteria using only medical equipment as cooking equipment.

We expect a lot. Only the best will do, otherwise...

:therapist:
Calvinball

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm No diagnosis yet, some tests have come back and are negative.

It’s hard to gauge her level of impairment cause she’s always so exhausted. Motor function, speech, eating, etc I think they all take effort so she’s avoiding them all for the most part. We have seen glimpses though. She was able to follow my verbal command and put Mr Potato Head’s nose in, on the first shot too which is impressive cause those are not large pegs and holes.

Comprehension is there. Communication from her is mostly head nods/shakes plus “mmhmm” or “uh uh.” But, we have heard some full sentences from her here and there. “I want to see Grant.” “I want to get back in bed.” So that’s promising.

Muscle weakness though, she’s definitely weak even on her functional side. She has made some movements on her left side but it is mostly just lying there. PT was by today talking about taping her shoulder so that gravity doesn’t separate the joint. We have range-of-motion exercises we do with her, and we’ve both felt some muscle contractions fighting us on those once or twice.

The brain bleeds were in white matter, which is connective tissue between the processing units of the brain, so think the jumble of cables behind your desk connecting the various components of your computer. So there was definitely cell death and going to be scar tissue, I think it will just take time to see how impactful that is, and time to make a recovery from it.

She is medically stable now and cleared to go to the inpatient rehab part of the hospital, just need the insurance piece to be completed and a bed to open up.

I told her that it will start to be less about poking and prodding and more about eating chocolate ice cream and playing soon, that got a smile.

Still some struggles though, sleep has been tough to come by for a few reasons, which of course impacts everything.

Wow. The little positive signs are great to hear. Also in her favor is her young age. As you know better than us, the brain has a remarkable knack for compensating for damaged areas. I'm sure she'll become fully functional before long with proper therapy, love, and attention.
Hang in there, buddy. We're all thinking of you and pulling for her. :like:
Yeah, young brain is more plastic and white matter injury is easier to overcome. Still gonna be a tough rehab, and we don’t know what this will mean for the future. This is the second episode in just the first three years of her life, what will the rest of it look like??

It’ll depend on the ultimate diagnosis of course, but she may spend the rest of her life having to be admitted to the hospital every time she gets a fever. She was supposed to start preschool...not sure when that’ll happen now but wtf happens once she is thrown into the germ factory of a classroom? Those thoughts are tough, but even worse is knowing that literally overnight she went from a smart, sassy, loving little girl to an invalid going through this horrible experience. That’s the one that brings tears to my eyes.

Day at a time right now, I’ll keep y’all posted.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm
Sno wrote:
We’re pulling for you and the little, buddy. Take care of yourself and your family. Can we take care of arranging a dinner delivery? House cleaning service? Lean on us.
Yes pls have Zilch arrive at our hospital room and create a gourmet meal out of ingredients found in the cafeteria using only medical equipment as cooking equipment.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this happened.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

FIRST!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Getting home from VW :meat: now.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm
wap wrote: Wow. The little positive signs are great to hear. Also in her favor is her young age. As you know better than us, the brain has a remarkable knack for compensating for damaged areas. I'm sure she'll become fully functional before long with proper therapy, love, and attention.
Hang in there, buddy. We're all thinking of you and pulling for her. :like:
Yeah, young brain is more plastic and white matter injury is easier to overcome. Still gonna be a tough rehab, and we don’t know what this will mean for the future. This is the second episode in just the first three years of her life, what will the rest of it look like??

It’ll depend on the ultimate diagnosis of course, but she may spend the rest of her life having to be admitted to the hospital every time she gets a fever. She was supposed to start preschool...not sure when that’ll happen now but wtf happens once she is thrown into the germ factory of a classroom? Those thoughts are tough, but even worse is knowing that literally overnight she went from a smart, sassy, loving little girl to an invalid going through this horrible experience. That’s the one that brings tears to my eyes.

Day at a time right now, I’ll keep y’all posted.

I hear you. It's terrifying for you, I'm sure.

Our thoughts are definitely with you. Fingers crossed, and please do keep us posted.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

Stay strong, Will
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm Getting home from VW :meat: now.
Priorities. lol

How many chores did you do?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Chopped: Hospital Food

:fuckyeah:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
razr390

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm Getting home from VW :meat: now.
Priorities. lol

How many chores did you do?
Lots. Today was the day where we both did our thing. She went to happy hour with her coworkers and I went to meat
razr390

So can we close this OT out by today?
Calvinball

razr390 wrote:So can we close this OT out by today?
:fullretard:

razr390

Calvinball wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 am
razr390 wrote:So can we close this OT out by today?
:fullretard:

It has been done before...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Someone is walking out of their shift this morning to discover their car is in a ditch.

Note: There was some pretty significant flash flooding in the area and this car may have very well been under water.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 am Someone is walking out of their shift this morning to discover their car is in a ditch.

Note: There was some pretty significant flash flooding in the area and this car may have very well been under water.
That is going to be uh, interesting, to walk out to.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Chopped: Hospital Food

:fuckyeah:
:doit:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 am Someone is walking out of their shift this morning to discover their car is in a ditch.

He probably parked way out in the parking lot to avoid door dings. Way out on the edge of the lot where no one parks...

At least I want to believe that
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

New OT :jizz:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am really not feeling my job today, just want to go home.
Apex

It's because of the :tints: isn't it? He was trying to park last night and ended up in the ditch because it's impossible to see at night with :tints: and is blaming the parking job on the "flooding"
:hue:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:59 am

He probably parked way out in the parking lot to avoid door dings. Way out on the edge of the lot where no one parks...

You can see tire tracks down the ditch. Perhaps he didn't park in gear and didn't have the parking brake set fully. OR did the car float down from flooding?

:mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Jeans with a Bank t-shirt is getting comments this morning. :lol:
Volunteer event this afternoon prompted the casual attire.
razr390

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 am Jeans with a Bank t-shirt is getting comments this morning. :lol:
Volunteer event this afternoon prompted the casual attire.
:waxer:
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 amInsurance scam
I thought so too. Reports of “flash flooding” park in neutral and “let it go” and “OMG WOW I CANT BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED.”
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:59 am

You can see tire tracks down the ditch. Perhaps he didn't park in gear and didn't have the parking brake set fully. OR did the car float down from flooding?

:mindblown:
Good point. And the grass laid down doesn't really point to a torrential flood in that ditch