OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 am Holy shit, on my drive in this morning I'm just cruising down a main road and this :sawce: d up :meat: head pulls out in front of me in a newer BMW 535 and doesn't go anywhere. He rolls down his window and starts yelling at me, so I just waive my hand at him telling him to move and drive. We pull up next to each other at the next stop light and he starts screaming at me that he's going to break me in half and shit.
I'm all :wtf: you pulled out in front of me and didn't fucking move.
He probably read the BMW handbook well. According to it, they must be disrespectful to drivers who go slower as they please.

Same thing happened last October, some e46 330i attempted to cut me off, but failed thanks to the slow car in front of him, then I could barely see the guys hood off my rearview, and I proceeded to cruise until he passed. This guy who appeared to look like he took meth, fisting up and floors. I got :rage: and follow that dude for a good mile, until he decides to run away from me all of a sudden.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am
Detroit wrote: Yea, but things change as you get older I guess. We rarely go out anymore. Just cook at home because we're trying to control our consumption. We're paying stupid property taxes for a house that's way overvalued for reasons we no longer take advantage of.
Sounds about right. I guess I just started out old. Now you've caught up - but y'all have epic equity+income so you can afford to go wherever you like next. Enjoy it.
We have epic equity, but I feel trapped because I have to chose between having nothing to do that I like when I get home vs. horribad commute. Any of the areas around here that have what I want mean an easy hour+ sitting in solid traffic. Where I'm at, even with the worst traffic I can find a route that'll get me home in under 30 min. I have to decided what I hate more: sitting in traffic or having nothing to do that I like after work.

It's REALLY tough. So much so that I debate finding a new job that will move me away from the city. FCA is actually in the perfect location for what I want out of a place to live.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

World class office update:

Drip is getting worse in the conference room.
The AC system on the roof is shaking the building and vibrating my wall, it's been clicking all day. Rage-inducing.
One person actually did use the picnic tables yesterday.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am Sounds about right. I guess I just started out old. Now you've caught up - but y'all have epic equity+income so you can afford to go wherever you like next. Enjoy it.
We have epic equity, but I feel trapped because I have to chose between having nothing to do that I like when I get home vs. horribad commute. Any of the areas around here that have what I want mean an easy hour+ sitting in solid traffic. Where I'm at, even with the worst traffic I can find a route that'll get me home in under 30 min. I have to decided what I hate more: sitting in traffic or having nothing to do that I like after work.

It's REALLY tough. So much so that I debate finding a new job that will move me away from the city. FCA is actually in the perfect location for what I want out of a place to live.
The struggle is real. I'm being serious.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Yea, no clue what to do. Both wife and I are feeling it too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 am Holy shit, on my drive in this morning I'm just cruising down a main road and this :sawce: d up :meat: head pulls out in front of me in a newer BMW 535 and doesn't go anywhere. He rolls down his window and starts yelling at me, so I just waive my hand at him telling him to move and drive. We pull up next to each other at the next stop light and he starts screaming at me that he's going to break me in half and shit.
I'm all :wtf: you pulled out in front of me and didn't fucking move.
He probably read the BMW handbook well. According to it, they must be disrespectful to drivers who go slower as they please.

Same thing happened last October, some e46 330i attempted to cut me off, but failed thanks to the slow car in front of him, then I could barely see the guys hood off my rearview, and I proceeded to cruise until he passed. This guy who appeared to look like he took meth, fisting up and floors. I got :rage: and follow that dude for a good mile, until he decides to run away from me all of a sudden.
I feel like the E46 was the car that defined BMW drivers as assholes.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 pm

I absolutely :rage: the f out in traffic. If I had an automatic I'd probably :dealwithit: easier but it still annoys the shit out of me. Sitting dead stopped on a freeway is never entertaining and can easily ruin my day. 0/7 would not "drive" anywhere if it involved an hour long slog on roads crawling at barely 5 MPH.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am Sounds about right. I guess I just started out old. Now you've caught up - but y'all have epic equity+income so you can afford to go wherever you like next. Enjoy it.

Dunno, it's hard to relate to :waxer: problems like that. We simply cannot afford to live anywhere that we'd want to live - and that will likely never change due to real estate costs in nice areas outpacing wages by orders of magnitude. Why not be like :waxer: and drive into the office early to avoid traffic?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:19 pm
I absolutely :rage: the f out in traffic. If I had an automatic I'd probably :dealwithit: easier but it still annoys the shit out of me. Sitting dead stopped on a freeway is never entertaining and can easily ruin my day. 0/7 would not "drive" anywhere if it involved an hour long slog on roads crawling at barely 5 MPH.
I can't handle sitting in traffic regardless of my vehicle, it absolutely ruins my day every time. It's why NYC is the worst place in the country IMO.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Dunno, it's hard to relate to :waxer: problems like that. We simply cannot afford to live anywhere that we'd want to live - and that will likely never change due to real estate costs in nice areas outpacing wages by orders of magnitude. Why not be like :waxer: and drive into the office early to avoid traffic?
What's your ideal location?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I can't handle sitting in traffic regardless of my vehicle, it absolutely ruins my day every time. It's why NYC is the worst place in the country IMO.
NYC is fucking awful. I take the train there. Boston was pretty shit tastic too. And DC has bad traffic and immigrants galore that have no clue how English directions work. So it blows there as well. At least those places have decent public transit subways and whatnot so you can still get around, but if you need a car? :nope:

Honestly Seattle had pretty fucking epic traffic issues too. I loved it there but would really question long term happiness due to the amount of completely stopped traffic.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's not the morning that's the problem, it's the commute home in the afternoon. Regardless of the time I get in, I never leave before 5pm, so I'm screwed. I could stay here until 7, but then I'm not enjoying the reason for moving, so what's the point?

We've found that :waxer: areas are "affordable" if you want a small house. We want something less than 1.5k sq ft, which is cheap in :waxer: areas because bigger is better. We also bought our house at the right time because our city in particular has exploded recently. Judging by recent sales, we have nearly $200k in equity in the house, which is absolutely absurd. Part of me wants to move just to cash in on the free money.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

We should make a traffic/rage/etc powl
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm

NYC is fucking awful. I take the train there. Boston was pretty shit tastic too. And DC has bad traffic and immigrants galore that have no clue how English directions work. So it blows there as well.

Honestly Seattle had pretty fucking epic traffic issues too. I loved it there but would really question long term happiness due to the amount of completely stopped traffic.
Yep. That's why my guess is that my ideal location is probably somewhere in the Pay Area at this point. Old laws and NIMBY-ism keeping population densities low == great for keeping cities from becoming giant clusterfucks. I'd need to spend more time out there to be sure and there are tons of other places I'd like to experience which I think might be awesome, like the entire Southern coast of France... but acquiring enough money for down payments and then getting jobs in any of these places is essentially impossible.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

It's not the morning that's the problem, it's the commute home in the afternoon. Regardless of the time I get in, I never leave before 5pm, so I'm screwed. I could stay here until 7, but then I'm not enjoying the reason for moving, so what's the point?

We've found that :waxer: areas are "affordable" if you want a small house. We want something less than 1.5k sq ft, which is cheap in :waxer: areas because bigger is better. We also bought our house at the right time because our city in particular has exploded recently. Judging by recent sales, we have nearly $200k in equity in the house, which is absolutely absurd. Part of me wants to move just to cash in on the free money.
Yeah if you can't leave early or arrive late then you're simply fucked, might as well rake in the dough until you find a job in a better location or a job with better hours/flexibility... $100k a year in savings between epic income and house appreciation ought to put you in pretty good spirits in the meantime.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 pm I've no clue who/what :dat: is, I know a lot of muzak but no country.
Conway Twitty
:dat:

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah if you can't leave early or arrive late then you're simply fucked, might as well rake in the dough until you find a job in a better location or a job with better hours/flexibility... $100k a year in savings between epic income and house appreciation ought to put you in pretty good spirits in the meantime.
Eh, house appreciation doesn't exist until the house is sold. It's probably my luck that we wouldn't be able to sell it for break-even if we tried.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 pm Yeah if you can't leave early or arrive late then you're simply fucked, might as well rake in the dough until you find a job in a better location or a job with better hours/flexibility... $100k a year in savings between epic income and house appreciation ought to put you in pretty good spirits in the meantime.
Eh, house appreciation doesn't exist until the house is sold. It's probably my luck that we wouldn't be able to sell it for break-even if we tried.
That's been our experience, but everyone else in the world seems to do better. :iono:

Our old house lost $30k from 2012-2015, current one I expect to lose $5k from 2015-2018, not counting closing costs.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Eh, house appreciation doesn't exist until the house is sold. It's probably my luck that we wouldn't be able to sell it for break-even if we tried.
That's been our experience, but everyone else in the world seems to do better. :iono:

Our old house lost $30k from 2012-2015, current one I expect to lose $5k from 2015-2018, not counting closing costs.
Unfortunately, you're being moved to less desirable areas :doe:
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Conway Twitty

It just gets wider as it goes down.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

datgrundle wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Like this?

datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm
datgrundle wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Like this?

YES!!!!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Conway Twitty

Dat helmet hair. :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

datgrundle wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Like this?

YES!!!!
[user not found], we need your powers... you know what to do..
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Dat helmet hair. :lolol:
Its really an impressive coif.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.