OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Last edited by goIftdibrad on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:11 pm Apparently I'm going to a story slam tonight, but I have zero information on it and can't find anything online or on social media for it :thisisfine:

:rolleyes: I need the weekend. This has been a vv stressful week.
Story slam?
It's like an open mic night type thing. You go and if you have a story to tell that's on topic you write your name down on a piece of paper and put it in the bucket. They randomly draw names and 10 ish people tell their stories. Audience grades it and picks a winner who gets some nominal prize.

Usually pretty fun. Most of the time I'm fucking rolling because the stories tend to be hilarious.
Johnny_P

I wonder if the mosquitoes flying around in this building have zika virus. Good thing the groundskeepers aren't killing the spiders or else the mosquitoes would take over.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Story slam?
It's like an open mic night type thing. You go and if you have a story to tell that's on topic you write your name down on a piece of paper and put it in the bucket. They randomly draw names and 10 ish people tell their stories. Audience grades it and picks a winner who gets some nominal prize.

Usually pretty fun. Most of the time I'm fucking rolling because the stories tend to be hilarious.
You ever told a story?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:41 pm

You ever told a story?
Johnny's would be 5/7. He'd just have to talk about his mushy ceiling tiles and otherwise shitty working conditions. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

You ever told a story?
Johnny's would be 5/7. He'd just have to talk about his mushy ceiling tiles and otherwise shitty working conditions. :lol:
Potholes.

Dogs.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Potholes.

Dogs.
All the above.
Johnny_P

You ever told a story?
Nawww
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Everybody die?
SAWCE

I quoted an assembly last week to our customer at $19.46/ea.. this has 60% mark up applied and has us profitting ~$1658 for the requested build quantity of 165. Easy board, we've built it a few times for them.

They issued a PO for 180 of these today at $41.21/ea.. No idea how they fucked that up. PO's come through my boss, so I told him about it, and it's up to him whether we tell them they messed up and more than doubled the cost when issuing the PO.. If we actually get paid that price, our profit for this build shoots up to ~$5250.. :notbad: Actually it'd be even higher than that.. The last time I built these, I bought some of the more expensive parts in bulk for a discount, knowing we'd build them again and when I costed it up this time I still put full market pricing on the parts.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:09 pm Image
Holy shit I almost choked on my food.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pmEverybody die?
Eventually yes
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm I quoted an assembly last week to our customer at $19.46/ea.. this has 60% mark up applied and has us profitting ~$1658 for the requested build quantity of 165. Easy board, we've built it a few times for them.

They issued a PO for 180 of these today at $41.21/ea.. No idea how they fucked that up. PO's come through my boss, so I told him about it, and it's up to him whether we tell them they messed up and more than doubled the cost when issuing the PO.. If we actually get paid that price, our profit for this build shoots up to ~$5250.. :notbad: Actually it'd be even higher than that.. The last time I built these, I bought some of the more expensive parts in bulk for a discount, knowing we'd build them again and when I costed it up this time I still put full market pricing on the parts.
Have a feeling telling them might make them more likely to do business with you in the long term, giving more profit over time rather than a one time sucker pop.

That’s just me doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Thedude wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:04 pm

I'm contuinually :mindblown: that my mom makes a six fig income with a job that she just... completely made up. Like "fuck work, I'm going to be a writing coach". Runs the biz out of their basement Trude-style even.
I've been thinking of doing something like this. Hard to see that kind of income coming through, doe. Damn she's doing well.
She had the advantage of being a stay at home mom for some years, so she was ramping it up for a long time before getting to this level. The first couple of years were probably four figure income, probably between 5-10 years to reach an average income and at 10+ years she's doing really well and now makes like twice what my dad makes, so I guess it kinda ended up working out for him too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Taco Bell is the GOAT
it really is. The box today only had 3 things. but was more than filling. Double beef cheese crunch thing and two side tacos. :notbad:

I also finally tried the Diablo sauce. Ive been missing out this whole time. its not as hot as expected and has great flavor.
:notbad:

Was hungover AF Saturday and had the new giant Cheesy Gordita Crunch box. The original CGC was better, but still, yum. I don't really like the Diablo Sauce though, just not a fan of that chipotle barbecue flavor. I'm a Hot man for life when it comes to the Border Sauces.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 pm

You ever told a story?
Nawww
You should :doit: :doe:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm I quoted an assembly last week to our customer at $19.46/ea.. this has 60% mark up applied and has us profitting ~$1658 for the requested build quantity of 165. Easy board, we've built it a few times for them.

As someone who did pricing for a living for over 28 years, it would be unethical IMO to accept that po with the wrong price. Someone may have just fat fingered it and may lose their job over it, or at the very least it could devolve into a pissing contest between your AR and their AP. I'd give them a call to alert them of the mistake.

Just my unsolicited $.02 fwiw
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:09 pm Image
:hue:
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 pm
Thedude wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 am

I've been thinking of doing something like this. Hard to see that kind of income coming through, doe. Damn she's doing well.
She had the advantage of being a stay at home mom for some years, so she was ramping it up for a long time before getting to this level. The first couple of years were probably four figure income, probably between 5-10 years to reach an average income and at 10+ years she's doing really well and now makes like twice what my dad makes, so I guess it kinda ended up working out for him too.
Most :impressive:
razr390

Compiled a few of my favorite drone clips to do a quick year-to-date review video. Enjoy

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 pm

it really is. The box today only had 3 things. but was more than filling. Double beef cheese crunch thing and two side tacos. :notbad:

I also finally tried the Diablo sauce. Ive been missing out this whole time. its not as hot as expected and has great flavor.
:notbad:

Was hungover AF Saturday and had the new giant Cheesy Gordita Crunch box. The original CGC was better, but still, yum. I don't really like the Diablo Sauce though, just not a fan of that chipotle barbecue flavor. I'm a Hot man for life when it comes to the Border Sauces.
:dat: i tired diablo once, it was meh, i always get fire and also a fan of gordita crunch :wub:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 pm

As someone who did pricing for a living for over 28 years, it would be unethical IMO to accept that po with the wrong price. Someone may have just fat fingered it and may lose their job over it, or at the very least it could devolve into a pissing contest between your AR and their AP. I'd give them a call to alert them of the mistake.

Just my unsolicited $.02 fwiw
Agreed. As soon as I saw the discrepancy I asked my lead if he know why it would have happened like there was a change in my quote after I sent it to my boss to be submitted to the customer. He didn’t know of anything, so I emailed my boss about it. I’m sure he just didn’t even realize there was a difference. This is a dude who has sent quotes and Rev. X and accepted POs for Rev. Y :rolleyes: then it’s on me and my team to catch those differences and ask for new build docs and BOMs so we can actually build to the correct revision and see if we need to push back on the customer for more money if the BOM changed significantly.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Let us know how the :knot: feels later on :hubba:
:melon: and myself partook. Zero issues. Had a great normal poop.

Tbell never fucks with my gut.
razr390

Busy Friday. :fuckyeah: