OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Thanks for the responses anyway guise. I need to ask better questions in the first place. Didn't do any research on my own.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

I mean, do you want a completely different set up/look for the car? Or do you just want OEM replacements?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

IIRC you can go all the way down to 16s on the mazderp. 205/60/16 is factory on the wife's car, michelin xi3 on some sparcos for hardcore winters.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 pm IIRC you can go all the way down to 16s on the mazderp. 205/60/16 is factory on the wife's car, michelin xi3 on some sparcos for hardcore winters.
For winters, I’d totally do 16s.
Smallest possible with largest sidewall. I'm running base 15's from a Sonic on the Volt. Looks ridiculous, but it rides so nice and potholes are :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm
razr390 wrote:Hurricane :doe:

Griff, fuckin evacuate breh
Griff is pretty far inland brah.
All things showing a westward/inland shift.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:47 pm Pup is WASTED. She’s completely fried from day care. They said she was a very good girl. Success!
I trust your opinion on all things cars and here you are so I'mma ask you here instead of in the car threads.

Aftermarket wheels. My car has a 5 lug 114.3mm pattern. Is that all I need to look at? Outside of obviously not buying huge wide ones.

My stock tires are 225/45 19 and the set off Facebook has a set of 245/40R18 tires but the same bolt pattern...I have no idea what I'm reading or looking for.
Bolt pattern is only one aspect. You'd need to make sure the center bore of the wheels is larger than the car's hub. It looks like 67.1mm is the measurement, so you'd minimum that or larger on the wheels. If it's not 67.1mm you'd need a hub centric ring to make up the gap. These are either plastic or metal, available at most tire shops or online.

Offset is the other thing to consider. Looks like the 6's standard offset on the 19" :rams: is +45mm. You go lower than that and the wheel pokes out further, higher and it pokes in. You'd probably want it to be pretty close to that =45 number, really. I wouldn't go any pokier than +40.

245/40-18 vs 225/45-19 your speedometer will be off by quite a bit. Going down in wheel size you'd want to go UP in sidewall thickness (that's the 40 vs 45 measurement on the tires) to compensate. Something like 235/50-18 would be a closer match to the stock circumference.

Honestly the easiest way to figure out what fits is poke around on tirerack's configuration thing for a bit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm Spent some time today getting these setup for my family members. Had to setup a couple gmail accounts for the two on the bottom and then install updates and a bunch of apps for these. Of course, I had to buy them as well, cause this shit is free, right?

Tech support for family/friends life sucks. Not sure why I still tell people I work in tech. My new cover story should be that I work in waste management.

I just don't anymore. I can barely deal with my wife, who somehow grew up in my generation without learning basic computer shit, without getting SUPER :triggered:

" show me howwwwwwwww "

Fuck off, move, let me do the shit or figure it out yourself with google.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:20 am

I trust your opinion on all things cars and here you are so I'mma ask you here instead of in the car threads.

Aftermarket wheels. My car has a 5 lug 114.3mm pattern. Is that all I need to look at? Outside of obviously not buying huge wide ones.

My stock tires are 225/45 19 and the set off Facebook has a set of 245/40R18 tires but the same bolt pattern...I have no idea what I'm reading or looking for.
Bolt pattern is only one aspect. You'd need to make sure the center bore of the wheels is larger than the car's hub. It looks like 67.1mm is the measurement, so you'd minimum that or larger on the wheels. If it's not 67.1mm you'd need a hub centric ring to make up the gap. These are either plastic or metal, available at most tire shops or online.

Offset is the other thing to consider. Looks like the 6's standard offset on the 19" :rams: is +45mm. You go lower than that and the wheel pokes out further, higher and it pokes in. You'd probably want it to be pretty close to that =45 number, really. I wouldn't go any pokier than +40.

245/40-18 vs 225/45-19 your speedometer will be off by quite a bit. Going down in wheel size you'd want to go UP in sidewall thickness (that's the 40 vs 45 measurement on the tires) to compensate. Something like 235/50-18 would be a closer match to the stock circumference.

Honestly the easiest way to figure out what fits is poke around on tirerack's configuration thing for a bit.
:sass:

plug in your specs here. learn you something.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:47 pm Pup is WASTED. She’s completely fried from day care. They said she was a very good girl. Success!

tires:
225/45R19
width in mm / aspect ratio / rim diameter. the aspect ratio is the tire sidewall height as a percentage of the width, so for this tire about 101.25mm

wheels are a more in depth discussion. generally, you can go + /- 1 inch in diameter and width pretty easy, and +/- 5mm offset pretty easy on the oem width.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 pm Hurricane :doe:

Griff, fuckin evacuate breh
Charlotte is really far inland.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Griff needs to evacuate all the beer from his local liquor store, and shelter it in an ice chest, and wait out the storm like a damn professional.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

:sass:

plug in your specs here. learn you something.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
That's a nice calculator site. Will bookmark.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am Griff needs to evacuate all the beer from his local liquor store, and shelter it in an ice chest, and wait out the storm like a damn professional.
But what about those milk sandwiches?!?! How will he survive without them?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am
wut
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am
wut
Up here, any time there's a threat of bad weather (hurricane, snow storm, etc) people freak the fuck out, go to the store, and buy up all the milk, eggs, and bread they can find. Those three are ALWAYS the first to go. I can only assume everyone is either making french toast or milk sandwiches.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I gotcha, lulz.

Fucking rookies, beer and ice are the essentials.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 am I gotcha, lulz.

Fucking rookies, beer and ice are the essentials.
That's what I stock up on.
Actually I don't really stock anything since the grocery store is 2 blocks away from my house :iono: and roads are generally clear within 24 hours.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Perfect. I can take this and use the website dub suggested and get where I need to be.
Johnny_P

My farts are horrific today. Lisa made cauliflower soup last night. I'm gassing myself out over here.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm Spent some time today getting these setup for my family members. Had to setup a couple gmail accounts for the two on the bottom and then install updates and a bunch of apps for these. Of course, I had to buy them as well, cause this shit is free, right?

Tech support for family/friends life sucks. Not sure why I still tell people I work in tech. My new cover story should be that I work in waste management.

I like to think Im up to speed on new tech and gadgets and gaming but I've never heard or seen this stuff from Nvidia.

Is that like a steam box?
If you use a media box, you should checkout the reviews.

Basically, if you watch or read unbiased fair reviews (non-paid, no shills) you will find that in almost all cases this device is regarded as the best unit in it's class.

It has:
  • Full Android TV unit that supports all the Android apps from the Play Store, and you can side-load apps as well.
  • Google Assistant integration and a voice remote and full voice control via Google assistant.
  • You can add a SmartThings hub to it for all your home automation needs.
  • Android gaming
  • Shield Specific gaming
  • NVIDIA GEFORCE NOW gaming
  • Casting games from your NVIDIA GEFORCE PC to your Shield to play at up to 4k on your TV with no lag.
  • Support for about just all streaming (NETFLIX, AMAZON, HULU, PLEX, VUDU, YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE TV, HBO NOW, SLING, PLAYSTATION VUE, ESPN, KODI, SHOWTIME, etc).
  • ChromeCast built in.
  • Support for Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-X passthrough via HDMI, as well as many codecs.
  • Bluetooth 4.1 support (adding a keyboard is an awesome experience changer)
  • Gigabit Ethernet and 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WIFI
  • USB 3.0 support for local media and devices
  • Support for external antenna tuners for OTA HDTV (can use DVR apps to record)
Basically, this thing will play just about any media you throw at it and the UI is super fast. I haven't run into anything it won't play. It uses a Tegra X1 SOC with 3GB of memory and a 256 core GPU. Software updates happen frequently to keep the system on the latest version of Android and adding new base features. Pretty much nobody else updates as quickly or as often as NVIDIA. This device goes back 3 years to the oldest version and we are still updating them (I just got the latest Android OS update last week on my oldest unit).

Product link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/
Gaming specific link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/games/

To be 100% honest, if this product wasn't good I wouldn't even talk about it. I don't care that I work here. We're not making money on this device in the big picture, but it is an area that nobody was really stepping up to cover and we jumped in (as far as I know). I was reluctant to buy one initially, but after the reviews started coming in I got one. Now I own two in my house and have setup units for more than 10 friends and family members with 18 Shields. I threw away my HTPC and so many WDTV, ROKU and Fire TV units it's not even funny. Everyone is much happier now that they don't have a slow, clunky UI that isn't logical in its design.

Everyone with a $40 ROKU will initially hate on this unit to justify that the ROKU "works fine", but I guarantee that if they had a Shield for a week they wouldn't complain about the $179 price point for the basic Shield and $199 for the base unit with gaming controller and would keep it.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm

I like to think Im up to speed on new tech and gadgets and gaming but I've never heard or seen this stuff from Nvidia.

Is that like a steam box?

Basically, if you watch or read unbiased fair reviews (non-paid, no shills) you will find that in almost all cases this device is regarded as the best unit in it's class.

It has:
  • Full Android TV unit that supports all the Android apps from the Play Store, and you can side-load apps as well.
  • Google Assistant integration and a voice remote and full voice control via Google assistant.
  • Android gaming
  • Shield Specific gaming
  • Casting games from your NVIDIA GEFORCE PC to your Shield to play at up to 4k on your TV with no lag.
  • Support for about just all streaming (NETFLIX, AMAZON, HULU, PLEX, VUDU, YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE TV, HBO NOW, SLING, ESPN, KODI, SHOWTIME, etc).
  • ChromeCast built in.
  • Support for Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-X passthrough via HDMI, as well as many codecs.
Basically, this thing will play any media you throw at it and the UI is super fast. It uses a Tegra X1 SOC with 3GB of memory and a 256 core GPU. Software updates happen frequently to keep the system on the latest version of Android and adding new base features. Pretty much nobody else updates as quickly or as often as NVIDIA. This device goes back 3 years to the oldest version and we are still updating them (I just got the latest Android OS update last week on my oldest unit).

To be 100% honest, if this product wasn't good I wouldn't even talk about it. I don't care that I work here. We're not making money on this device in the big picture, but it is an area that nobody was really stepping up to cover and we jumped in (as far as I know). I was reluctant to buy one initially, but after the reviews started coming in I got one. Now I own two in my house and have setup units for more than 10 friends and family members with 18 Shields. I threw away my HTPC and so many WDTV, ROKU and Fire TV units it's not even funny. Everyone is much happier now that they don't have a slow, clunky UI that isn't logical in its design.

Everyone with a $40 ROKU will initially hate on this unit to justify that the ROKU "works fine", but I guarantee that if they had a Shield for a week they wouldn't complain about the $179 price point for the basic Shield and $199 for the base unit with gaming controller and would keep it.
What kind of games run on it? Not casting, native to the box. Are we talking candy crush or something like call of duty?
Johnny_P

Ah the link has the games in it. These are the full game or some dumbed down android tablet app version?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 am

It has:
  • Android gaming
  • Shield Specific gaming
  • Support for about just all streaming (NETFLIX, AMAZON, HULU, PLEX, VUDU, YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE TV, HBO NOW, SLING, ESPN, KODI, SHOWTIME, etc).
  • ChromeCast built in.
Basically, this thing will play any media you throw at it and the UI is super fast. It uses a Tegra X1 SOC with 3GB of memory and a 256 core GPU. Software updates happen frequently to keep the system on the latest version of Android and adding new base features. Pretty much nobody else updates as quickly or as often as NVIDIA. This device goes back 3 years to the oldest version and we are still updating them (I just got the latest Android OS update last week on my oldest unit).

What kind of games run on it? Not casting, native to the box. Are we talking candy crush or something like call of duty?
Go to the games link I posted and look at the Library for what should be a pretty up to date list. There are Android games and GEFORCE NOW titles that don't need a PC for casting. The Call Of Duty games are listed:

Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare®
Call of Duty®: Black Ops II - Zombies
Call of Duty®: Black Ops II Multiplayer
Call of Duty®: Black Ops II Singleplayer
Call of Duty®: Black Ops III
Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 2 Multiplayer
Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 2 Singleplayer
Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 Multiplayer
Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 singleplayer
Call of Duty®: WWII multiplayer
Call of Duty®: WWII singleplayer
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am Ah the link has the games in it. These are the full game or some dumbed down android tablet app version?
Full version my my experience.

We use GRID (our streaming cluster of servers around the world to do the heavy lifting of the GPUs and the games are streamed to your box. From all the reviews and the couple times I've played around with it, with a basic speed cable connection there is no lag or issue playing multiplayer. It is actually pretty amazing, but we've spent many, many millions of dollars building the cloud infrastructure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am Ah the link has the games in it. These are the full game or some dumbed down android tablet app version?
Full version my my experience.

We use GRID (our streaming cluster of servers around the world to do the heavy lifting of the GPUs and the games are streamed to your box. From all the reviews and the couple times I've played around with it, with a basic speed cable connection there is no lag or issue playing multiplayer. It is actually pretty amazing, but we've spent many, many millions of dollars building the cloud infrastructure.
That's pretty sweet.